• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

I gotta agree, there's really no way to do that properly.

I'll admit I wanted him to show up (I think it would be amusing to have Red giving him stink eye), but couldn't justify changing his character for it.

Ash but evil!

Oh don't get me started. In particular when there is the such "enjoyable" subgenre of "Ash revenge fic". Like, fics where for some weird reason all of Ash's friends, not-so-much-friends and random bystanders betray him so he packs up his team of Pikachu and five Legendaries and then goes on to salt the Earth.

Like, really.

I've got a guide about OCs in the works and it will include a part about selecting Pokemon for them (along with a segment discussing the various Pokemon with reputations for being overused or "Mary-Sue" Pokemon.) Does anyone know any Kalos/Alola Pokemon that have been overused for RP/fanfic/etc. OCs? The only ones that come to mind are maybe Greninja and Honedge.

Here's my current list in case anyone has any other suggestions: (Some are fairly tentative.)
-Charmander line
-Pikachu and Raichu
-Vulpix and Ninetales (plus Alola Ninetales)
-Growlithe and Arcanine
-Gastly line?
-Eevee and its evolutions (Especially Espeon, Umbreon, and Sylveon)
-Ralts line
-Absol
-Shinx line
-Gible line
-Riolu and Lucario
-Scraggy and Scrafty?
-Zorua and Zoroark
-Litwick line?
-Froakie line?
-Honedge line?

Last edited:
I don't think most pokemon, even with this list are "inherently" sue-ish. But the context (as in the plot and ideas behind the story) would be a factor in if the trainer might be a sue. For some examples

• A fic that aims to be like the games, either as an adaptation/novelization of a playthough or as an original take, would likely start off with a noob. And thus would not have them use evolved pokemon. They might see the starters as the sue-ish, or they might see starting with anything but the designated starter pokemon as sue-ish, but unless the point is for the protagonist to be experienced, then starting with an already evolved pokemon would not be advised.
  • Stories with a protagonist being a seasoned trainer, might also tread likely, for the context might render their skill level gratuitous. A story about the Pokemon League facing an unknown threat might naturaly have the E4 and Champ as major players. A Story about some guy in a coffee shop would not. And a story involving a origination that skillset does not require outside experience would ensure you'd be better off with a rookie with the equivalent of level 1 'mon, than a seasoned trainer with more than 1 pokemon, even when the badge quest isn't involved.
  • Likewise, Legendaries are also seen as forbidden because they are well...legendary. But their involvement in a story can be justified if the plot focuses on them and the reasons why this trainer has a legendary (either in an officla capacity as in with a pokeball or an unofficial capacity, where the trainer has regular communication with the pokemon) in the first place are explained (for example if the story revolved around villains trying to capture a Legendary for their own nefarious plans, then having a trainer nearby to protect it might be viable. In fact. Sun and Moon are very much in this vein.). A Temporary partnership might also serve to ease the problems this might have.
  • The reason for the appeal of certain pokemon are a factor. Eevee had two things going for it in this regard. Cuteness and rarity. Rarity is important because of the perception of legendaries being one of a kind (even in cases where canon defies that like with the Eon Dragons or Ultra Beasts, of if it implies that more than one can potentially exist like Diancie and arguably Mewtwo.) and because rare things are coveted to the point where already starting with rare things tend to set off red flags. Thing is, the pokemon are sentient living creatures, and most are capable of reproduction. And so far the only pokemon implied to be endangered are Sharpedo.
  • Lastly there are types of fics where the story has people interacting with pokemon, but not necessarily using them for sport. The pokemon Ranger games for examples not only encompass the temporary partnerships mentioned before, but also focus more on stopping people that would abuse the pokemon.
  • Remember what I said about geography being a factor in Rarity. Well this means that pokemon that are common pests in one region become rare to the point of local extinction in another or just rarer overall. The reverse also applies (see all those comments about people mistaking Skarmory for a Gen 3 mon). What this means is that if you start with a pokemon that isn't native to the region (and by native I mean to the point of being included in the regional pokedex) you better have a good reason why you have it. Fics where the same characters travels the regions a la Ash would have a viable excuse in this regard. As would fics exploring smuggling rings and importation of pokemon for some purpose.
Context is key, but Sturgeon's law ensures that most cases of nonstandard starters should still be scrutinized. What the story is would also be a factor. (actually if you are able to, can you post your guide on OC pokemon selection here?)

With that said, I don't think any pokemon form the Alola feel into the parameters you describe yet. Maybe the Bounsweet line, Salandit, the Cosmog Line and Lycanrock?

Last edited:
It's still a WIP and it's part of a larger guide made up of multiple chapters. I do plan on posting it here when I finish, though.

The section is actually there to counter the notion that any Pokemon is inherently Sue/Stu-ish by explaining why they have such a reputation and what kinds of trainers would get the most mileage out of them. It'd be more about how to make those Pokemon work in the narrative.

What I find to be a cliche is the overuse of some Pokémon. There are some that are hardly ever used and I honestly try to use some of the more forgotten Pokemon, and if I'm aiming to use one of the more powerful types like Dragon I tend to stick to the less used and somewhat weaker ones (EG: I gave one of my OCs, who was a fashion designer in training, a Sliggoo who wasn't battle orientated). Eevee, the Lucario line, legendaries... I could go on.

I have a Riolu/Lucario and Buneary/Lopunny as my main protagonists in my PMD fic, but what I want to do is play around with their species and culture in the story.

For example: the Lucario are stoic because they're more or less "too intelligent" to believe in emotion, instead opting much for practicality and heavy discipline in their aura arts. With their gender ratios being 88% male and 12% female, they value their females highly to the point of overprotectiveness- just talking to a neighboring clan's female member will start a clan war the likes of which will make the Hatfield and McCoy conflict look like a playground scuffle.

There is one cliche that was always hidden within this cliche thread.
That is: Nitpicking about the choice of certain pokemon being used within one's fic.

Certain pokemon species are always more popular within the fandom. Notice all the listed "Sueish" pokemons: Pikachu line, Charmander line, Lucario line, Eeveelutions, Starters, Zorua/Zoroark, Legendaries, etc. They are all the species with highest popularity throughout the fandom.
Pokemon fanfic writers are also pokemon fans, so speaking from the broad statistics, it is inadvertently that the more popular pokemon are preferred even in the fanfic community.

But, just because the writer chose to used generically speaking the more popular pokemon, I think it is a bit assumptive to deem it as then being "Sueish", without considering the kind of fiction and the story plot of the respective fic. Using popular pokemons =/= Pokemon character and its trainer is Mary Sue.

If a story is poorly written, the choice of using the "non-Sueish" pokemon wouldn't fix nor ease the problem. If a story is nicely structured, the so-called Sueish pokemon will become part of its foundation where it is unthinkable to use another alternative species.

At the end of the day, it is not the the choice of the pokemon species is the problem. More importantly is, other than the writer's personal preference, is there any other in-universe reason to use that species specifically?
If personal preference is the only reason, one should rethink about other questions such as:
- Does this pokemon suits this trainer?
- Does this pokemon contributes anything important to this trainer?
- Is this pokemon important to the story?
- If you just need a pokemon to fill up six slots for purely battle purpose, does this pokemon align with the skill level of the trainer?

BTW, within my current two projects, the two main characters consists of so many generically speaking "popular" pokemons, such as Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Braviary, Gyarados, Gallade, Luxray, Metagross, Hydreigon, etc. (Wow, what an arsenal of popular pokemons! :barefoot: This must be a Sueish fic! :rolleyes: I don't mind if one would like to claim this before they even read it, because I won't even listen to such prejudgment :cool:)
Although I do admit at the very beginning my personal preference contributes to certain part of the decision in the pokemon choice, but nonetheless I accounts many other potential character factors that may expand further to become part of the story in the future. And with years of planning, I just won't change to other pokemon species at this point just for the sake of doing so. Every single pokemon in my fic is an "individual character" that each has their personality and each contributes to one another's story and characteristics.

If a story is poorly written, the choice of using the "non-Sueish" pokemon wouldn't fix nor ease the problem.
I wrote a fic many years ago that, based on anti-Sue logic, should be totally great and ORIJINULL. Nobody even bothered to review it because I didn't know a thing about actual writing.

Braviary's considered Sue-ish now? Damn, My fics must be Sue-filled as well. But yeah, the preconceived notion of a Sue-ish fic based off of the pokemon used is a silly one. Yes, there's 802 pokemon to choose from and there are more creative choices than the popular ones, but half the time I see unpopular pokemon used, there's not much about the character itself that sets it apart from the popular species, as in any species could take the character's place and it wouldn't effect the story. So I agree it's how the pokemon is used.

Braviary's considered Sue-ish now? Damn, My fics must be Sue-filled as well. But yeah, the preconceived notion of a Sue-ish fic based off of the pokemon used is a silly one. Yes, there's 802 pokemon to choose from and there are more creative choices than the popular ones, but half the time I see unpopular pokemon used, there's not much about the character itself that sets it apart from the popular species, as in any species could take the character's place and it wouldn't effect the story. So I agree it's how the pokemon is used.
I don't think Braviary has ever quite had the same reputation that Lucario or Zoroark have.

I couldn't help but repost this:

badfic_bingo_by_carolpimsu-d6yg11w.jpg

Naturally, some of these aren't entirely fair (I've seen a good script on this site, though damned if I can remember the title). "character are bad actors in cosplay" is my favourite, not least because it expresses a peeve that I haven't been able to properly articulate till now

I think the only thing keeping me from seeming guilty of "wall of describing character's clothing for personality" is I wall of text describe everything.

At least I'm no longer describing the individual door handles anymore. Yes, Ereshkigal, no one cares that it's a brass-finished aluminum doorknob with an inscribed circle a quarter of an inside inside, locked via a clever lever mechanism hidden from sight but easily accessible to someone left-handed. No, Ereshkigal, they don't want to know exactly how many stitches are in every seam of that pair of pants, and it'll only creep out some people when they realize you've likely counted. My name isn't Tolkien, so I don't need the full description, autobiography, and genealogy of every tree branch...

*grumblegrumble*

... and now I want to use "flashback sparkles" in some humorous way.

I would like to see a script as an actual script properly written as if it was going to be performed either as a play, or possibly just as a TV script. There aren't enough of those and a lot of writers just use the style to not write things that aren't dialogue.

I would like to see a decent songfic as well, I don't actually see many songfics around in general though nowdays.

... and now I want to use "flashback sparkles" in some humorous way.
Can't go wrong with this method.

Also it's definitive (defiantive?), now, I'm a bad writer. I technically fit the qualifications of six of those, either in current chapters or upcoming ones: announced/obvious POV switches, bad actors in cosplay, depression as a plot device, running gags (Andrea's clothes), changing appearance to be more desirable, walls and walls and WALLS of text about clothing. Maybe I'm stretching a few, but if any of that makes me bad, I don't want to be good.

>TONGUES BATTLED FOR DOMINANCE

>THIS ISN'T LUBE

my sides

But all joking aside, this bingo card is missing something very important: calling a character's' eyes "orbs" or "spheres"

How did that even start, anyway?

Eyeballs are not orb-shaped or sphere-shaped.

Purple Prose meets close enough to work. Where anything that's sufficiently round enough becomes an orb/sphere to the aspiring writer that thinks mundane terms are too inaccurate for the beauty of what they are describing.

BTW can Purple Prose be itself cliche?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom