• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

I'm also wondering to what extent the notion of an "unoriginal" team is gendered. On one hand, some Pokemon are not commonly used by boys/girls in the games (like Bellossom/Machamp.) On the other, people seem to gravitate toward Eeveelutions regardless of their character's gender.
I think that the idea of using an Eeveelution is that, there are so many out there. Eevee is one of the most adaptable Pokemon since it has around a third of all types of Pokemon within its evolution barracks, and possibly more as the series continues

Speaking of Pokémon with branched evolutions, I once came up with an idea for a story about a Tyrouge who learns why his Kommo-o dojo master is friends with a Togekiss.

Anyhow, I always thought Eevee was seen more as a feminine Pokémon, even though 7/8 are male, though I'm pretty sure gender ratios are gameplay and story segregation.

For a trainer character, it seems like some kind of a compulsory requirement that up to some point of the story the character MUST obtained at least 6 pokemons, there it means the story must add at least 6 more character, willy nilly. However, does the story really requires so many characters to successfully play out the plot?
When the overall story itself doesn't requires so much characters, you can't help that then you are just ending with so much "filler" characters that are just there for one single purpose: To fill the battle slot.

I get this feeling, and honestly I think six Pokemon teams just aren't a good idea in fics in general. There's a rather lengthy fic I'm writing/planning (That also happens to be my main writing project for at least the next year and a half) where the main character, Michael, only has four Pokemon, and even then I feel like I'm not planning enough development involving his Starmie.

Having Pokemon depends on how much development/plot attention you want to give them, though. I have plotted out stories where Pokemon were going to have huge story arcs alongside the main characters, and it just wasn't feasible. I think the best way to handle Pokemon is to give them some development and enough personality to make them stand out, but unless you are writing a story where they have equal measure, if the humans are the main focus, they should be the focus. Pokemon should be there to help them.

Also stumbled across this, thought it might give people a laugh

I think that a trainer should have enough Pokemon that they can treat and care for equally. If they have too much or use one Pokemon more than the other 6, why do they have the other 6?
I know that I already set a limit for my characters on how many they'd end up having, with one literally being allowed to have unlimited since it'd make sense if he rotated them out for battles like a trainer would in the games.

I've got to say, I've never really understood the appeal of the Eeveelutions. I've looked at them a fair few times now as candidates for "NPC" teams (As I tend to think of one-off opponents). Sure, there's a wide type-spread, but there's also quite limited movepools despite that, and worse, restrictive physiology. There's only so many ways you can make something furry and four-legged move, which means that the narrative usually going to have them either charging into something or spitting something out the mouth.

@Beth Pavell Eon Fable is more about making decisions than "OMG cutemons!". Have you ever seen TamashiiHiroka's (soulcrushing towards the end, but still interesting) Top 10 Most Overrated Pokémon video?

I've got to say, I've never really understood the appeal of the Eeveelutions. I've looked at them a fair few times now as candidates for "NPC" teams (As I tend to think of one-off opponents). Sure, there's a wide type-spread, but there's also quite limited movepools despite that, and worse, restrictive physiology. There's only so many ways you can make something furry and four-legged move, which means that the narrative usually going to have them either charging into something or spitting something out the mouth.
At least Vaporeon can be interesting, with the ability to dissolve and reform when in water.

I've seen tons of cliches, but the ones I hate the most have to be where the author is basically ripping off the anime. It's actually scary how many fics I've read where it almost feels like I'm reading the Pokemon Anime.

The main character is typically a 10 year old male who is very kind, yet not all too bright and LOVES Pokemon and battling. Someway and somehow he meets two other trainers (usually one male and one female) who for whatever reason decide to travel on his journey with him. The female will probably be either super nice (and possibly flirty) or super tsundere (and easily angered). She might be a coordinator, but could have another goal. I've rarely seen one where she is another trainer. The male will usually be a really smart, really mature for his age kid who has no desires to be a trainer and sometimes doesn't have a specific goal. He may be older or younger than the other two, but he could also be the same age. More than likely the main character's starter will remain outside of it's PokeBall quite frequently and bonus points if the starter is a Pikachu or Pichu. He'll often will have a rival who is a jerk and is always criticizing them for one reason or another; usually for having 'weak' Pokemon. More likely than not, they'll eventually have a Pokemon who's disobedient and the MC will have to go through several experiences where he eventually earns his Pokemon's trust through saving them from an attack, healing them when they're seriously injured, the power of friendship, or something along those lines.

Sorry about this mini rant but it's really annoying to see this kind of stuff so much. I read fan fictions to find interesting stories based on the franchise. I'd rather not read something that is essentially, Pokemon Anime: The Fanfiction.

Moving on, there are also the people who give their characters super popular Pokemon as their starters like Pikachu, Lucario, Piplup, or Eevee (Eeveelution). Or if they're picking from one of the traditional starters, they pick the most popular one (Charmander from Kanto, Snivy from Unova, Froakie from Kalos, etc). And then there's those times where if the MC is or is based off of one of the PC's from the games, they'll have a certain starter; ie Serena will have Fennekin, Calem will have Froakie, Brendan will have Treecko, May will have Torchic.

Then there's the 'special' Pokemon, aka Pokemon with features or facets that don't exist in any canon of the franchise. This includes things like a red Lucario, a blue eyed Eevee, a female Rufflet, etc.

Lastly there's the Pokemon who can speak with telepathy/trainer who can talk to Pokemon thing. That was cool at first, but now it's just annoying to the point where seems every other trainer in every other fic is some special, gifted child who just CAN talk to/understand Pokemon for no explained reason.

@Sakuraa: Most of those things, on their own, are not really cliches if used well. Things like Pokemon being different coloured or having telepathy are not that bad on their own: it would make sense for some Pokemon to look different, and having Psychic Pokemon it is logical for them to have some sort of telepathic powers. Yes, it is a bit tiresome if a Pokemon's only trait is different colouring, but the same can be said for basically every fiction where someone has a special thing. A lot of those personality things aren't really ripping off just the Pokemon anime persay, but pretty much any anime or YA storyline. There's nothing wrong with these things if utilised well: as the link I shared above points out, trying not to be traditional has become pretty cliche.

At any rate, you could always read more of the stories here: pretty much none of them have half of those things, and nearly all of your biggest stories have female leads or co-leads who are not coordinators ;)

Sakuraa's avatar made me think: how often do characters turn their hat around before doing something "impressive", if they wear a hat at all? Or does Ash not do that anymore? I don't remember seeing it all that much the last time I tried watching the anime.

Sakuraa's avatar made me think: how often do characters turn their hat around before doing something "impressive", if they wear a hat at all? Or does Ash not do that anymore? I don't remember seeing it all that much the last time I tried watching the anime.
I dunno, really. But it does make me wanna see a backwards hat-wearing character turn their hat forward when things get real.

And the hat thing makes me wonder what would be considered an "unoriginal" or "cliche" Pokemon OC character design. As the wise Mariotehplumber said, "Now it's time for the most important aspect: the character design!"

I think part of the in-story appeal is that Eevee can evolve into whatever your character needs it to be, so it's an ideal Pokemon to start out with or catch early on. However, that can also open up another problem. The MC in my story has an Eevee as one of her initial Pokemon, and I can't figure out what to do with it. I went in with a specific plan, but I started to think of alternatives and now my story is paralyzed.

Ash only really does that now in one-off dramatic moments to emphasise how dramatic the moment is. I haven't watched the anime for ages, but his last big battle of Sinnoh he did that, which was the only time in Diamond/Pearl he did it I think?

I'll have to disagree with you on that. I'd argue that they still are. To me it doesn't matter how well something is done; if its something that's been done to death already (regardless of the quality) then I still consider it a cliche.
That's a very narrow view to take, as pretty much anything in any work of fiction, whether it is fan fic, a novel, movies, TV, can be considered a cliche if you choose to look at it that way.

I need Ash to do this again so bad. 3: It's been ages. I think he last did it in XY and it was only once and pretty minor.

That's a very narrow view to take, as pretty much anything in any work of fiction, whether it is fan fic, a novel, movies, TV, can be considered a cliche if you choose to look at it that way.

Well, that's your opinion on the matter. You have yours, just as I have mine. I disagree completely, but we can just agree to disagree.

As for my point that Arceus =/= God from a while ago, it seems that someone else has the same view...
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl YMMV on TV Tropes said:
  • Common Knowledge: Arceus is the creator of the Pokémon universe, so obviously it's universally worshipped as this world's equivalent of God, right? In truth, almost no-one in the Sinnoh games even mentions Arceus by name (as it was a Secret Character upon the games' release), let alone worships it or swears by it as a substitute for God (as many a fanfic is wont to do — "Oh my Arceus!"). Despite being less powerful (in plot terms, anyway), Rayquaza in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire has more of the trappings of a deity (with people actively praying to it, even triggering its Mega Evolution by doing so).

The big difference between Arceus and Rayquaza is that Arceus is canonically listed as having created the universe, whereas Rayquaza basically controls the weather, a power that is not even unique to it as a Pokemon. Rayquaza does make more sense as a diety, particularly one you'd pray to given its abilities, but it also makes sense from a sociological perspective to pray/worship the creator of the universe (which is what Christian faiths do with their god, I believe). The point of fan-fic is to take these elements that are not explored in the games and have fun with them, which is why Arceus has fallen into this particular place in the fanon.

That being said, I do find 'Oh my Arceus' a tad on the nose when that pops up, and it usually throws me out of the story.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom