• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Coltar: Escaping His Shadows

Coltar Escaping his Shadows - Chapter List
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

Chapter list for Escaping his Shadows
Chapter 1: End of Cycle
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Summary:
Aaron Piscar, youngest son of Ellio Piscar, ruler of Elktan, is desperate to celebrate the End of Cycle. However, his father isn't so keen. In fact, his father has effectively forbidden him from leaving the citadel as he is worried his son will be attacked. Aaron and Ellio get into a very one-sided battle, which is considered treason, and Aaron ends up running away from home with his best friends, Mylious and Clarence, with his older brother, Erik, close behind. They run away to Colran, where things seem much different, and Aaron has to confront how he feels about his father and how he rules Elktan with an iron fist.

This story takes place in 1965, 10 years before James Spitz is even born, and 24 years before the events of Coltar the Prophecy.

Warning: This story deals with uncomfortable to talk about social topics, abuse and regionalism.

Chapter 1: End of Cycle

Friday 31st December 1965

It was a long way down if one were to fall, but that didn’t stop Aaron from sitting on the edge of the highest point of the Elkran Citadel. His fingers felt frozen, even though he had bandaged them under his dubwool thick gloves. His ears had been tightly tucked under his fluffy dubwool hat, but his green braided hair stuck along the left side and brushed down his icy pale skin. His feet dangled down and blew in the strong Elkran winds. All he wanted to do was jump and fly away. However, he knew that wouldn’t happen.

Aaron’s father, Lord Elite Ellio Piscar, grounded his salamence following an incident involving setting his brother Erik’s bedsheets on fire. Naturally, Aaron denied it. He looked down at the other young Lords and Ladies leaving the citadel for the new year’s break. Most would come back looking completely different. Some have piercings or skin markings to celebrate their turning 15 and beginning their first year in the high school section of the citadel. But not him. He groaned and undid his tie. He stared at the blue mareep cotton with the little tab pattern in one corner. It was light blue. The colour of the house of Piscar. His father’s house. Of course, Aaron knew he could have been sorted into the house of the Lord interrogator or Lord Captain, but at the time, he was stuffed into his father’s house.

He stretched his legs, stood up, and held tightly onto the pole, waving the blue and purple crossed swords of the Elktan flag. He watched as a crobat passed by, too far away to tell its gender, he watched its four blue and purple spindly wings flap and wrap around its purple egg-shaped body. Its fangs seemed larger than its narrow eyes. Ugly pokémon, he thought as he lowered himself and hung on for dear life as he dropped inside the tower's arch-shaped window and into the pilots' dorm.

“Hey,” a boy with long blue hair said, jumping back.

“Sorry, Clarence. I didn’t mean to frighten you. I was just… thinking. Was that… Kilgorese?” Aaron shuffled his feet and knocked the snow which had built up on his black tauros skin boots onto the floor.

“Yeah, I’ve been trying to learn it. It’s too hard. Forty-five letters are way too many to remember. I don’t get how Mylious does it. Hard ‘R’ is tough in Elkrat as it is. No one except for Von Recht has a hard ‘R’ in their name, or at least no one important. Remembering to pronounce it all the time is so annoying,” Clarence said with a scowl, staggering over the “R” sound.

“I don’t get why they need sixteen more letters than us; it doesn’t make them special.” Aaron grimaced. “So glad I never took that subject. Colrat is hard enough. Every time I read out loud, I always say their ‘J’ as ‘H’. Dumb letter, and I never know what to say when I see an ‘H’. I did so badly in the end-of-year test because of it. My dad got so mad at me. He won’t let me go to town to celebrate.”

“Oh well, I was wondering if you wanted to come to the city centre with me today. I can’t go home, and well… Mylious doesn’t have a home, since you know... So, do you want to sneak out and celebrate together? Come on, Aaron, it will be fun,” Clarence pleaded, flicking his hair back.

Aaron went to reply, but the door into the tower swung open, and he closed his mouth tight. His eyes collided with Lord Von Recht. An uncomfortable feeling brewed inside of him quickly enough to make him feel the urge to vomit. However, Aaron took a deep breath and knelt on his right knee before the Lord. He placed his closed fist above the left side of his chest and lowered his head. The Lord waved his hand, and Aaron straightened himself up again and walked past him with Clarence.

“I don’t know. My dad just… all he cares about is Elktan… no, himself,” Aaron said. The stairs wound around until they reached a long corridor which led into the large hall. Aaron peered inside to see his father sitting on his golden throne. His legs were crossed, and he was being served roasted meat while Colran and Elktan slaves danced for him and served him.

“Aaron?” Clarence said, as he turned to see Aaron scowling.

“He treats people worse than pokémon,” Aaron said, tightening his fists. “When Erik rules, it will be different. I will be his Lord Captain and make sure of it.” He saw the other students, young Lords, and Ladies sitting at the tables enjoying the buffet. “I am so glad I never grew up experiencing that life. It is so unfair.”

“T-t-that’s j-just life…” a timid voice said.

“Mylious!” Aaron shouted and jumped onto his tall friend.

Mylious shrugged him off and peered down from his enormous stature. He walked over to the table with his back to his friends before slumping by the small water fountain at the end. Please don’t touch me, Mylious thought, unable to muster the energy to say how he felt.

“What’s wrong?” Clarence asked and sat down beside Mylious.

“I-I was just thinking,” Mylious whispered, looking down at his hands. “M-my hands are still… b-bloodied. I h-have no f-family l-left here.” He sniffled a little and tugged on his short black hair. His grey eyes were red from his tears. “Oh… um A-Aaron… h-here.” Mylious reached into his blue jacket’s pocket, pulled out a poké ball, and placed it in his friend’s hand. “I h-helped heal her. S-she should b-be ready to b-battle soon.”

“Thanks, Mylious.” Aaron stared at his dad and then at the table as the lunch bell rang through the citadel. “My dad is the worst!” He peered into the poké ball at the grey rock-ground. Her horn had been chipped, and each boulder constructing her snake-like body had deep scratches carved into her. Her smallest boulder at the end of her body was chipped off. Aaron turned back to Mylious, and looked into his sad eyes. Poor Mylious. I can’t imagine what it would have been like being born a slave and having to kill to escape. Despite everything, he still goes the extra mile for me, and never complains when I rage about my life.

“Did you have a nightmare about it?” Clarence asked, placing his hand on Mylious’s shoulder. “You should go to the med bay. They’ll help.”

“I always h-have nightmares about it. I… I was five y-years old. It is v-very hazy. T-the worst one is s-seeing my b-big sister lying there… a-after being experimented on… and n-not moving.” Mylious shuffled a little as he felt Aaron squeeze his arm. He turned to face the Lords table at the top of the room. Behind them was a painting of what giratina was rumoured to look like. Mylious shuddered at the sight of its long black wings, with red teeth spiking out. Its large grey body was twisted and had large claws and teeth sticking out. Its large yellow head dwarfed its tiny red eyes. Ruler of the distortion world, hear my prayer, please let my nightmares end soon, Mylious thought.

Ellio Piscar stood up from his seat on his throne and walked to the microphone. His long black hair was platted back, and his green eyes shone in the flickering chandelure light. Each one of the chandelure’s purple flames flickered on the end of his ghostly black frame. His opaque head glowed purple, and his yellow eyes flickered soullessly. The Lords behind Ellio grinned as their faces were lit up by the purple light, excited for what he had to say.

“Damn, what a lineup this year for his advisors,” Clarence said. “Isn’t that?”

“Yeah, that’s Lord Captain Jun-Seo. I thought he was in Munta for the holidays,” Aaron replied, looking up at the tall, black, brown-haired Lord sitting beside the throne. A blindfold covered his eyes, leaving an uncomfortable tingling sensation in Aaron’s stomach.

Clarence continued to look at the Lords. I didn’t expect Von Recht to be the Lord Interrogator this year. The guy is such a twat. He rips into Mylious whenever he gets a chance. There is Lord Smith, the Reynaldo twins... damn it’s a real mixture. Holy tauros shit, Lady Qu is on the council?

“Excuse me, can I sit next to you?”

Clarence turned to see Lady Qu’s daughter, Hélena, talking to Aaron. Like, please say yes, Aaron. I’ve been crushing on her since I was 10. He saw her brown braided hair pulled back behind her pale face. Her eyes were as bright as his, and her uniform was too big for her.

“Oh, um, sure! My name is Aaron. Aaron Piscar,” Aaron said, bowing a little and offering her a seat. I can’t believe she spoke to me. She’s older than me, a high schooler. She looks so lovely. He blushed a little.

“I know who you are. You are the Lord Elite’s son and Erik’s brother,” she said and sat down.

“Aaron, will you be quiet!” Ellio Piscar shouted out, and the hall fell silent.

Aaron glanced around, realised he was the only person still standing up and looked at his dad and then back down at the seat.

“200 points are taken from the house of Piscar, and you will all do 50 push-ups,” Lord Captain Jun-Seo said without skipping a beat. He picked up a bottle of dritze, made from chillan berries, and poured it into his glass. A loud groan echoed throughout the hall, and without skipping a second beat he added, “I can make it 400 points and 400 push-ups if you want. I can also cancel the feast and the celebrations in town.”

“Fuck off you old crobat!” Aaron shouted.

“Aaron Ellio Piscar! You will not disrespect the Lord Captain! Apologise!” Ellio Piscar scowled, and twitched his moustache.

“Why should I? Won’t change the fact I can’t go!” Aaron shouted back, slamming his fists on the table.

“Aaron, that is enough!” Ellio Piscar said, he took out a poké ball and sent out his exploud, and raised the normal stone up. The exploud opened her large mouth, revealing her flat, molar-like teeth. Her red eyes narrowed and she stared at Aaron. Her lavender-purple skin vibrated as the roar exited her mouth. “You are acting like a runt, and not my son!” The exploud’s yellow protruding tubes rumbled on her forehead as the crest let out a high-pitched whistle, and the two tubes on her back gulped in air.

Aaron started to squirm as his head started to ache. He could hear the sound of the exploud screaming through his ears and into his head. He grabbed his ears and fell onto his knees. Out of the corner of his eyes he could see the three clawed toes of the exploud inch closer and closer.

“S-stop it! You are h-hurting him!” Mylious shouted and quivered as he jumped onto his feet, stood in front of Aaron and drew his sword. Beside him, Clarence leapt up onto his feet too, rushed over to Aaron, and offered him a hand.

“Control your cronies, Aaron. Or I will for you,” Ellio Piscar said.

“You are a bastard! I hate you! I challenge you to a battle, my Lord!” Aaron spat on the floor and raised his poké ball to his lip, ready to fight.

“That is enough!” Ellio twitched at Aaron’s words, and from his throne, Ellio Piscar stood up and walked down the stairs. He raised a poké ball to his chest.

“Aaron, I am your father and ruler! You will show me some respect!” Ellio Piscar stared into his son’s eyes and took a deep breath.

“You hurt my onix! You won’t let me celebrate! You are the worst!” Aaron shouted back. He stepped forward and tossed his poké ball onto the wooden floor. The sturdy slats creaked under the weight of his samurott as he swung his sharpened brown shell-like blade on top of his head around and narrowly avoided knocking the largest chandelure out. Aaron observed as his father kissed his poké ball and tossed it forward. The angle it was thrown allowed it to bounce back up to him, and he caught it in his hand as the spiritomb swirled around in front of him.

“Great job on convincing me you are mature enough to not forsake your duties.” Ellio Piscar scowled down at Aaron.

“Aqua Jet.” Aaron pointed at the spiritomb. Aaron’s samurott gurgled water in his mouth, and water surged around his blue flippers. He shot forward on his light blue belly with the blade on top of his head down. The spiritomb’s purple and green spotted spherical mass floated and swirled around the small brown keystone he had poured out of and let out a ghostly cry, filling the room with a gasp. His zig-zag mouth, which was now off-centre in the mass, widened as he cackled.

“Dodge it and return a dark pulse.” Ellio Piscar grabbed his knife and rushed at his son.

The hall fell into complete darkness, and a loud ringing filled the room. The students whispered in a panic. A few screams broke the whispers, followed by three explosions of a black puff of smoke, and a thud followed quickly.

Aaron fell onto his back and held his right arm. His father’s knife still dripped with his blood as he pressed it against Aaron’s chest. Aaron shuffled back until his back pressed against the wall, and he glared into his father’s eyes as the smoke cleared. He looked back at his samurott slumped against the wall.

“Fuck!” Aaron said, as tears fell down his eyes. No… he wiped me out in one move?

“Throw my son in jail. He will learn he cannot attack me. If he doesn’t learn his lesson, I suggest we take some drastic measures, don’t you, Von Recht?” Ellio Piscar smirked as two large Lords in full Guard uniforms grabbed Aaron by his arms and dragged him along the floor toward the door.

“Yes, my Lord Elite, I would be more than happy to teach the boy a lesson,” Lord Von Recht replied, a giant smirk across his face. “Stick him in the Tauch. That will teach him a lesson.”

Not the Tauch. That’s so bad, Mylious thought as he watched Aaron get dragged away. Lord Jun-Seo might bail him out. He’s a good guy. He helped me settle down when I first came here. Mylious jumped up and grabbed Clarence’s arm and dragged him out of the hall.

“Don’t you think that was a little harsh?” Lord Captain Jun-Seo said, slushing around the yellow liquid in his glass.

Lord Elite Piscar sat down and glanced over at his Lord Captain before saying, “I don’t know what to do with him anymore. He used to be so…”

“Calm? So, calculated? Your son is a tactician, but he is also a teenager. Ellio, he isn’t like you at all. I can tell in his voice.” The Lord Captain reached over and refilled his glass before adding, “Any psychic will tell you he will achieve great things and be a great leader someday. I have seen it in my dreams.”

“What I would give to have psychic powers. It isn’t common. You have it, a few of the Lords have it, a few citizens, that Bourbabel kid has it, and what is scariest of all is De Jou has it. Why couldn’t my bloodline have been exposed to the Great Shadowing?” Ellio Piscar looked over at the students, who silently sat up patiently. “Von Recht, can you speak for me?”

“Of course, my Lord, if it pleases you. As for your son… I say punishing his so-called friends would snap him into line. It works with prisoners; it should work with that brat.” Lord Von Recht got up and moved to the microphone.

Lord Jun-Seo coughed and under his breath said, “No wonder his kids have all died. If you want my advice Ellio, and I assume you do since you haven’t stormed off like your son would have, go talk to Aaron. Aaron’s friends are very loyal to him. In fact they are probably trying to break into my office right now to rescue him. I should probably intervene.”

Ellio Piscar said, “You are right. I was far too harsh on him. He doesn’t understand the world right now. He is only 14. Erik on the other hand... 17 but acts like he is 25.”

“I have an idea, of course you will have to trust me… but I think this will be good for Aaron, and for you. It will be dangerous. You could die,” Lord Jun-Seo said with a smile across his face. He reached for his bottle once more.

“You are only here to please giratina once.” Ellio Piscar smiled back.

“Damn, I am all out of dritze,” Lord Jun-Seo remarked, as he shook the empty bottle. “I will set things in motion,” he muttered under his breath.

A/N:
I decided to take a break from the main series due to a depression episode. Looking at the calendar it is the start of the new year, and in Coltese Culture, be it Elktan, Colran or even Kilgorese, it is an important time of year. It is the time of year where there is a 2 month holiday, 1st of December to 31st January. During this time all regions celebrate the changing of the cycle, preparations for the new year, be it school, business or agricultural. The year a child turns 14 is the end of their cycle, as in Colran it symbolises them becoming a minor adult, and in Elktan, it symbolises them moving into High School (, the school system is explained in more detail in the main story).

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Emergency Exit
Chapter 2: Emergency Exit

Clarence wobbled along under Mylious’s strong pull but decided it was best not to say anything immediately. He trusted Mylious, and the night was still very young. As they walked through the overused central corridor, the stone slabs under his feet were wonkier than before. They slipped down the main stairs, which, if travelled far enough, would lead to the Lord’s offices, the stables, the viaduct and the dungeon underneath the main castle.

“Mylious, where are we going?” Clarence asked, placed his hand on Mylious’s hand and peeled it off of his arm.

“L-Lord J-Jun-Seo’s off-office. H-He can h-help Aa-Aa’on,” Mylious stuttered.

“Mylious, what did I say about stuttering?” a voice rang out from down the corridor behind them. A tall black man with burning white eyes walked up to them. With each step, his cane tapped along the ground, and his stoutland plodded beside him.

“T-T…” Mylious started.

“How the in the flying fuck did you get here before us?” Clarence blurted out.

“Mylious, breathe in and breathe out. Breathe in, and breathe out. Think what you want to say, and slowly…” the Lord said, ignoring Clarence and placing his scarred hand on Mylious’s shoulder.

“To try and s-s… stay calm and not be s-scared,” Mylious squeezed out his mouth. His hands were pressed together, and his left hand stroked his right hand in a desperate bid to comfort himself. “My Lord,” Mylious added on quickly.

“Don’t bother bowing. Just tell me why you are down this corridor, which you know damn well is off limits to young Lords,” the Lord said, as he took a key out of his pocket and wandered down a little further past the two teens. “Come.” He pressed his key into the door and turned it, opening the wooden ornate door into his large room.

Clarence followed him inside and glanced around the room. The blue curtains hung over a large window. He couldn’t help but stare out to the courtyard overlooking the city. The stained panels painted each section a different colour. He saw the festivities below; the fire spitters, the ice skaters and the mamoswine riders were all out in force.

Lord Jun-Seo walked over to the window and opened it, letting the snow slide in momentarily. His white squawkabilly blended in as he tied a small letter to her and waved her on. With a bit of squawk, she shot off into the blizzard.

“Aa’on is in trouble, and I was wondering if you could h-h… rescue him from the Tauch,” Mylious asked. He took a deep breath out and looked into the Lord’s eyes. “Lord Jun-Seo, please.”

“I cannot help him,” Lord Jun-Seo said as he placed a long-rusted key ring on his desk. “Aa’on needs to understand his place.”

Clarence watched as Lord Captain Jun-Seo limped over to the sharpedo tank at the end of his room and thought, He keeps fighting, even now. He reached over the desk, picked up the keys, slid them quietly into his pocket, and turned to leave.

“S-sir, is it true? You really did fight Lord Elite De Jou?” Mylious asked, his eyes widened as he stared at the back of the Lord Captain.

“It is true. He blinded me with his torkoal, and took my leg. He refused to kill me, though. I was Lord Elite Hamilton’s Lord Captain. He respected me. Alas, Lord Elite Piscar took over after his death. A blind man doesn’t belong as a Lord, for he is defective beyond all measure,” Lord Captain Jun Seo said with sadness. His sharpedo looked at him, snuffled with its pointed nose and wiggled its fins. Its blue body shot out small streaks of black as it waited with anticipation for the next piece of meat to drop into the tank. Lord Jun-Seo breathed deeply and dropped the meat into his sharpedo’s tank before limping to his liquor cabinet. He took out a large bottle of dritze and uncorked it. Without the consideration to fetch a glass, he guzzled from the bottle before saying, “You boys understand that under no circumstances should you leave the citadel. Right?”

“Yes, sir,” Clarence replied.

“S-sir!” Mylious replied.

“Have a good evening,” Lord Jun-Seo said. He had drawn the word evening out longer than either teen had felt comfortable listening to it. He pointed his cane at the door from his seat, and the door slowly swung open, letting out a crying creak.

Clarence placed his hand on Mylious’s shoulder, and without another word, the two teenagers left the room and shut the door. Clarence looked from side to side before hurried down the corridor away from the Lord Captain’s office. The stone corridor seemed to narrow the further into the castle they got. At the end of the corridor stood the grand tapestry of every Lord who had ever been from Elktan. It stretched 10 metres across and stood 3 metres tall. Clarence reached out and touched the soft dubwool cotton.

“Just think, in 10 years, we will be on here,” Clarence whispered. “So, Lord Captain Jun-Seo has been helping you with your stutter? That’s brilliant!”

“Be quiet, Cla’ence. I-I find some s-sounds hard still,” Mylious said as he pressed down on one of the stone bricks. A clunk followed, and the soft sound of gears whirring away filled his ears. The bricks slowly dropped down, revealing a narrow tunnel. “C-come.”

“I guess Lord Jun-Seo knows about the secret passages too,” Clarence mused, nudging Mylious. He glanced up and saw the large galvantula webs that had twisted through the corridor.

“I feel like a f-freak. I am 6ft 7 and only 15. I am t-taller than most of the L-Lords. All I w-want this festival is t-to n-not feel like a f-freak,” Mylious sniffled. “H-here…” he said, pushing against a small dial at the end of the narrow passageway. “Oh, h-hello Zvi- Zvi-…” Mylious paused and took a deep breath. “Zvisht,” he forced out. A small joltik dropped down from a web with the help of a large galvantula and landed on his hat.

“Wait, you know this joltik?” Clarence asked, and Mylious nodded back.

“She is m-my friend. W-when I get s-stuck, s-she comes and h-helps me.” Mylious stroked her head, and she let out tiny sparks.

“I see,” Clarence said.

Mylious pushed the bricks as hard as he could and opened the doorway into a boiling-hot room. His vision blurred from the red-stained air rising from the pit below. Above the pit, he saw Aaron. The metal pole he had been chained to was rusted and scorched by the fire below.

“Zvisht, can you unchain Aa’on, please?” Mylious asked, and the little joltik jumped up and down. Mylious turned to Clarence and gestured for the key.

I hate this place, Clarence thought. He reached into his pocket and pulled the key off of its ring. The rusted key squeaked a little as it came loose but fell into his hand. The metal started heating up quickly in the hot room, and Clarence passed the key over to the little yellow fluff.

The joltik, key in mouth, pounced up onto the wall. Her sticky web coated her tiny blue feet as she crawled along the wall’s warm metal edges. She looked down at Mylious and lifted one leg to wave at him before pouncing up onto the metal bar from which Aaron was hanging. Slowly but surely, she made her way along the rolling metal bar across the boiling pit, peering down to see the camerupt spewing its fire. She hurried faster until she reached Aaron.

“Hey, you want to help me out, huh?” Aaron gasped. His forehead was covered in sweat, and his skin was marked where the iron chains held him in place.

The little joltik nodded and stabbed the key into the lock of the chains. With her little legs, she turned the key until the shackles broke and fell into the pit below. She spat a sticky web at Aaron’s arm so he could grab onto the metal bar without losing grip. The ooze made him feel sick, but he had no choice. Pull by pull, he reached the other side and dropped onto the metal flooring.

“Thanks,” Aaron said, and the little joltik bounced up and down on his shoulder before leaping onto Mylious’s hat. “Huh?” The door to the Tauch swung open. Aaron turned to see his older brother enter the boiling-hot room.

“Aa’on, come on. You can’t just break out. Dad will be even more pissed off,” Erik Piscar said. His black hair stood on end, spiked at the front, with his braids running down the side of his pale face. A small stitched-up scar rested on his cheek. He limped over to Aaron and grinned.

“Still limping, I see,” Clarence said with a smirk. “What was it you said to me? Oh, right, I bet I could beat you in a pokémon battle with my eyes closed.”

“And then you kneed him in the balls when he closed his eyes,” Aaron giggled and picked up his poké balls that had been stuffed onto the siding.

Mylious snorted and quickly covered his mouth with his hand.

“Shut it, you filthy farmer!” Erik barked at Clarence. “As for you, slave boy, I can’t wait for Dad’s new laws to come into place. People like you will stay in the gutter.”

Aaron paused and stared into his brother’s cold green eyes before saying, “What new laws?”

“Dad is making it so more of the lower class end up in servitude or lower,” Erik said, smirking. “Not a bad idea.”

“What is wrong with you? These people have done nothing wrong except being unable to pay the taxes he hiked up. What would mum say?!” Aaron shouted, fists clenched and ready to whip out his poké balls.

“Lady Pisca’ isn’t here. Remember? Anyway, it is time to go, Aa’on.” Erik grabbed his sword, reached out, and pointed it at Aaron’s chest.

“You are right. It is time to go.” Aaron swivelled on his heels and ran at Erik. “Let’s go! Manal!” Aaron’s houndour jumped in front of him, Mylious and Clarence. “Do you know what happens to someone bitten by a houndoom’s fire? The pain lasts forever. Manal is a houndour, it might not last forever but it will hurt a whole fuck ton! Manal use fire fang!”

Erik reached for his pocket to pull out his poké balls, but the little houndour leapt on him and opened his mouth. He let out a low grumbling howl and flashed his fangs. He chomped down on Erik’s arm. Erik quickly moved to knock the houndour off, but the flames had already started to pour onto his skin. Erik lowered his blade and placed his right hand against the scorching mouth of the houndour, grabbed his muzzle and attempted to swing his arm to push him off.

Aaron lunged forward and felt Erik’s sword wobble and hit the ground with a thud as his brother’s footing was not prepared to take on the full force of him. Aaron quickly placed his hand on the wall to steady himself and jump over his brother, who had been knocked cleanly to the ground in one fell swoop. “Come on!” he called out.

“Coming!” Clarence replied and grabbed Mylious’s sleeve. The two ran to Erik, and Clarence stepped around him. However, Erik grabbed Clarence’s leg while he yelled out in pain.

“What the fuck?” Erik wheezed out as Mylious’s boot collided with his chest. “I’ll kill you for that, slave boy!”

“Fucking run!” Aaron shouted as he charged down the corridor, holding his arm. He turned to see Mylious rolling down the corridor and scooping Clarence onto his back. “Criborn!”

“Criborn?” Clarence said. “Oh, shit… Criborn.” Clarence felt himself flung over Mylious’s head and smacking himself against the floor. He looked up and saw a houndoom showing his sharp fangs at him. He heard Mylious squeak and sniffle. The growling and snarling of the houndoom that had started to drown out the sound of Mylious. The bones on the houndoom’s back rumbled with his growls.

“What are you doing? Who let you out of the Tauch?” Lord Criborn shouted and pulled out a sharp blade.

Alright, there is one of him and three of us. We could solo them, but that probably won’t work out. Four of us, if we include Mylious’s joltik friend. If I use my gallade, Clarence uses his gabite, and Mylious uses his blastoise, we might see tomorrow, Aaron thought. “Okay, Ka’aknook! Mylious send out Jajul, Clarence send out Cu’cu’ak! Ka’aknook use brick break!” The gallade dived out of his poké ball and charged at the large houndoom.

The houndoom howled and lowered his curled horns. Dark smoke puffed around his mouth and leaked out.

“Zvisht, block it with electroweb!” Mylious shouted. The little joltik bounced on his hat and fired a twisted electrically charged web at the houndoom. The houndoom looked up, and his snout was coated in silk, stopping him from opening his mouth and firing a dark pulse.

To Aaron’s left saw Clarence’s gabite get bodied by a houndoom. The gabite let out a little gargle before slumping unconscious against the ground. The houndoom growled at them, and flames flickered from inside his mouth.

Aaron’s gallade brought his arm down on the larger houndoom, and it staggered back down the corridor, before pouncing forward and biting down on his gallade’s arm.

“Jajul, f-f-finish the big one with w-water pulse!” Mylious shouted; he ran to the houndoom, grabbed its horns and forcibly threw it into the wall. The water pulse swirled from his blastoise that appeared in front of him, and collided with the dazed houndoom and Lord Criborn.

Aaron drew his sword, and with a swing of the helm, he struck the water-pulsed Lord in the face. The Lord lay on the floor, with his eyes closed and his nose bleeding.

“He won’t stay out cold for long,” Clarence said.

Mylious knelt beside Lord Criborn and pressed his index finger against his pulse. He closed his grey eyes and prayed. Please be alive. Okay, there it is. Thank giratina. We are in so much trouble. I really want to just hide and cry in my room, but if I go there… Lord Piscar will find me and punish me. Maybe we should just tell him the truth. Yeah, we will all be in trouble, but at least we won’t be put on trial for attempted murder or worse. His hands started to shake, and Mylious felt sick. He looked around at the spinning stone walls and reached up desperately at Aaron, who grabbed his sweat-soaked palms.

“We need to get out of here. Find some clothes or something and like, I don’t know…” Clarence muttered.

Aaron waved his hand and started to run down the corridor to one of the archer’s slits in the stone wall. Alright, we really need to get out of the castle. He peered out the slit and saw the blizzard blowing heavy snow around the citadel. I guess we have no choice. We have to fly out. There is a pilot’s ledge not too far from here. He waved his hand again, and with his houndour running close behind him, he darted along the corridor.

“Aaron Ellio Piscar! How dare you disobey me!” Lord Ellio Piscar stormed up the corridor with his hand wrapped around his poké ball, ready to summon his spiritomb. “Shoot him in the leg!” he called out. By his side, two young archers pulled out short bows and drew two thin metal arrows made from the skin of a duraladon. The tips were sturdy, tiny scales dripped with a mixture concocted from a venusaur’s stun spore. They released the arrows, and they sped at Aaron.

“Move!” Mylious shouted, and he pushed Aaron forward. The arrows both struck him in the left leg. “Agh, bastards,” Mylious wheezed.

“Stop them!” Lord Ellio Piscar called out once more.

Aaron stared at his best friend, who limped forward and waved his hands to continue. “Use flamethrower to block the path behind us. Come on, Mylious.” Aaron’s houndour immediately spat fire, covering the corridor with fire and smoke. Aaron rushed forward, barely able to keep his balance, until he saw the small wooden door on the side of the wall. He pushed against it, opening the door to the outside, and peered down to see the sheer drop of the mountain. This better fucking work, or we are dead as fuck. He grabbed his poké ball, returned his houndour, and snatched hold of Clarence’s jacket and Mylious’s shirt.

“Aaron… what are you doing?” Clarence asked.

Aaron yanked on Clarence’s jacket and Mylious’s shirt as he threw himself off the ledge. They fell toward the mountain in a tumbling and twisting blizzard. Come on…I’kaknok, he prayed.

Chapter 3: Train Confrontation

Chapter 3: Train Confrontation

Aaron turned to see a dark shadow approaching from the citadel above them, diving down and revealing its twisted, long talons and light blue scales. Its moon-shaped wings captured the blizzard’s air and sliced through it like it was nothing before grabbing hold of Aaron.

“I hate you so much,” Clarence said as he was pulled up onto the salamence’s back. He looked at Mylious, who was shaking and unable to move. Shit, he is paralysed. “Aaron, we need somewhere to hide. Or go somewhere until your dad isn’t pissed at us anymore.”

“I know.” Aaron grabbed tightly onto his salamence and took a sharp turn back to the citadel. “Let’s just get on a train and go. Fuck my dad. I don’t care where we go, just… away from here. I can’t believe I got thrown in the Tauch.” He saw the braviary fly past him in their pack and he grinned. “Feels like us.”

“Feels like we don’t have goggles, and I can’t see shit!” Clarence called out. “I fucking hate flying with you.”

“Maybe if you weren’t such a baby and weren’t scared of heights…” Aaron said as the air rushed past his face and the snow smashed into his cheeks. “Hold on tight!” Aaron shouted, and the salamence swung around, diving down toward the centre square of the citadel. He extended his claws and dug in deep as he crashed into the stone-paved floor street.

Clarence staggered off the beast’s blue scaled back and toppled to the side and a bin. He couldn’t contain the nausea of flying anymore, and he vomited into the bin. Just great. Thanks. He heard muttering from behind him and looked around to see a group of girls gathering together. In the middle of them was Hélena Qu. His eyes focused on her, and he raised his hand to wave at her.

“Listen, um… Hélena. I was wondering if you-“ Before he could though, the nausea struck again, and he threw up on the pavement.

“Ew. What is wrong with you? No, I won’t go to the end-of-year dance with you. I am going with Aa’on,” Hélena said. Her eyes narrowed in on Clarence like an Arbok.

“You are?” Aaron asked.

“You are?” gurgled Clarence.

“Yes, I am. Aa'on is cute, I mean, he has big green eyes and soft green hair, and his dad runs this place,” Hélena said, pressing her hand to her cheek.

Nice, Aaron thought. I got myself a girlfriend.

“Stop them!” Ellio Piscar called out.

“Shit! Sorry, Hélena, we have to go. I think you are beautiful!” Aaron shouted as he ran, grabbing Clarence and Mylious and dragging them down an alley.

The stone bricks closed in on them as they ran until they reached the end where the train station was located. The wooden roof was wonky but had recently been repaired, so no one could complain. A sheet of white ice froze over the glass windows, and the woman sitting in the ticket office looked as if she had a wart farm on her face.

Yeah, no thanks. Let’s just run, Aaron thought, glancing over at her. In the distance, he could see the intercity train. Aaron, Mylious and Clarence started to sprint like they had never sprinted before, with Guards shouting and screaming at them from behind.

The train blew its whistle and started to pull away from the station. Mylious’s heart pounded, and his leg hurt from all the running he had had to do. However, he knew he was the only one who could reach the train and pull his friends aboard. With one final deep breath, he launched himself into a sprint, ran alongside the rolycoly powered train and took a leap of faith. His arm wrapped around the pole at the end of the train, and he leaned over the edge, extending a hand out to his friends, who were running as fast as they could with a trail of Lords and police behind them.

Aaron leapt forward and grabbed Mylious’s hand as his knees scraped along the platform, and Mylious yanked him inside. They then stuck their hands out, grabbed Clarence, and pulled him into the train’s corridor. A few coats and hats were hanging up on the coat rack, which Aaron nabbed as they brushed past.

Quickly, they shuffled into an empty compartment, waking the litwick that was having a nap inside and taking some seats. The tauros leather seats were comfortable and blended with the wooden furnished carriage. Aaron distributed the coats and hats, and with relief, he sank back into the seat.

“Well, I guess we are on our way now,” Aaron said, tucking his braids under his wooloo hat. He peered out the window as the station faded from view, and the train began a steady spiral down from the citadel mountaintop and toward the lower city. He reached into his pocket, pulled out his poké ball, and pressed the button, allowing his gengar to float about the compartment freely.

The little joltik slid down Mylious’s arm and jumped onto his lap, excited for their adventure out of the citadel. However, Mylious tapped his foot and twitched as he stared into the corridor. The small window wouldn’t protect them from an angry Lord or Lady charging in and arresting them.

“Hey, it will be okay, Mylious. Hish'ak, keep watch, will you?” Clarence said, sending out his alakazam. The yellow pokémon flicked its pointed ears and rolled its eyes before staring out at the corridor. “See? Mylious, it will be fine.” Clarence grinned, adjusted his ponytail, and took off his thick coat.

Mylious grimaced and turned to Aaron.

“Yeah it will be fine. Like once we reach Col’an, my dad can’t do shit to us. Otherwise, he would be infringing on their border. Of course, in theory, we won’t be Elk’an anymore. We will have to pretend we are Col’an,” Aaron said with a smile. “I’ve never been to a festival before, and well, apparently, Lord De Jou is a big fan of parties and celebrating life, unlike my old man. Mylious? It will be fine. I can see the look on your face. If it cheers you up, Lord De Jou banned slavery in the capital.”

“Thrilling,” Mylious replied. His eyes stared down at his feet. “Unless you are a f-f-foreign Lord who gets themselves arrested. Then you are their p-p-play things. Besides, if we go to Colran, you two best practice your ‘R’s. Unlike you, I grew up in a c-cage where not using your ‘R’s was considered savage. The h-h-hypocrisy. If we g-get caught, w-we are as g-good as dead.”

“Oh, relax and don’t be such a baby. It will be fine!” Aaron leaned back and stared at the litwick pouting about being woken up. He reached into his little satchel, pulled out a berry, and placed it in his hand. The pecha berry was a plump pink, and the litwick’s eyes lit up at seeing it. It reached out with its stubby little white arms and snatched it from Aaron. Aaron leaned back, stared at the ceiling, and slumped back on the chair.

“You know, Barook and I could have flown from the window, right?” Clarence said, scowling and crossing his arms.

“Doubt it,” Aaron replied and rubbed his sore wrists. “Suck it up, dad.” Aaron stuck his middle finger up at the citadel through the window as the train pulled further away.

Clarence stood up and opened the compartment door. He stepped out into the corridor with his back to Aaron and leaned against the wall. His fingers dove into his pocket, and he pulled out a small packet of cigarettes and placed one in his mouth. He then reached into his pockets and grabbed a small set of matches. Made from natural trevanant wood for an astonishing experience, Clarence read in his head and chuckled before he sighed again. Yeah right. I love the fact that being thrown out of a castle window and not enjoying it makes me a baby. On top of that, Hélena saw me throw up and is now your girlfriend. Fuck you, Aa'on.

Mylious held his leg in pain as the train rolled along the bumpy tracks down the mountain. He stared down at the arrows that were still stuck in his leg. That will get infected soon if we don’t get it seen, too. He glanced back at Aaron, staring out the window at the snow.

The carriage door opened again, and Clarence sat back down, but his face was red with embarrassment and anger.

“So… Hélena and you are dating now?” he asked.

“Yep. She’s not going to regret it. I am totally going to be suitor material in like four years. So, if we start dating now, my dad can actually approve of our marriage on my 18th birthday, and we can finish off our time at the academy together. Erik will become Dad’s Lord Captain, and I will become his Lord Interrogator. She will be my wife, and we will have a family, and it will be sick!” Aaron smiled and looked back out the window.

“No offence, Aaron, but you aren’t exactly interrogator material.” Clarence leaned back in his seat. “Besides, Hélena might not even want kids when she is older. She isn’t much older than you but still knows what she wants.”

“What does that even mean, Clarence?” Aaron scowled. “Do you think you are better than me because you get better grades, and Von Recht actually likes you?” Aaron shunted Clarence back. “I am the son of the ruler. Yes, I hate my dad, but I am still better than you by blood!”

“I regret helping you out of the Tauch. All you ever think about is yourself!” Clarence shouted.

“So do you! Don’t you think I know you like her? You haven’t shut up about her since you were like 10! Oh, look at Hélena, she is so pretty… well, guess what, Clarence! I am allowed to like her, too! She wants to be with me right now! We are celebrating starting the high school section of the academy, and this year, we turn 15. Dad won’t let me celebrate it because he thinks I am a disappointment. Do you have any idea how that feels?” Aaron punched the window hard enough to leave his knuckles swollen and cut.

“Forget it!” Clarence shouted and stormed out of the carriage once more.

With a scowl on his brow, Aaron returned to staring out the window. Stupid dad, making new laws and getting mad at me all the time. Throwing me in the Tauch was the final straw… Stupid Clarence is getting mad at me for liking the same girl as him. He looked at Mylious, who was sniffling in pain. Damn it! Aaron closed his eyes and let the soft purple light of the litwick flicker, and silence filled the carriage. The litwick’s presence made him feel a little uneasy, as he remembered litwick can prey on the souls of humans if they were feeling especially malicious. However, he took a deep breath in and another out. He listened to the train chugging along the tracks towards Colok-Irok. He could hear the soft sound of mining in the distance from the miners from the town of Mesk. They’d often find duraladon in the mountain caves and battle them for their metal. Something Aaron had hoped he’d never have to do. His thoughts drifted to Mylious, and he wondered if Mylious would have ever been sent to the mines or if he would have remained a medical experiment testing subject for the rest of his life. Suppose he hadn’t killed his master, anyway. He let out a small yawn and drifted off.

A few hours passed, and the train shook violently, waking Aaron from his slumber. Ugh… what now? Aaron looked around the carriage. He noticed the little white pokémon had dimmed its purple flame to help him sleep. He saw Mylious had spread himself out as best he could on the chair opposite him. The arrows were still sticking out of his leg. The stun spore powder had expanded, leaving a gooey yellow pus on his trousers. Oh, Mylious, that doesn't look good. Aaron looked around for Clarence, but there was no sign of him. … Cla'ence, Aaron thought before looking back out the window. The wooden bridge was shaking under the speed of the rolycoly powered train as they crossed over the river Shok. He could see the snowline fade in the distance as the trees became far thicker and the terrain became less hilly. Aaron wanted to take the stolen coat off momentarily but realised he was still wearing his Elkran uniform.

The door to the carriage rattled open, and Aaron quickly turned to face it.

“Clarence!” he shouted. A fist collided with his lip, and he fell back. His head spun momentarily as he saw his older brother, Erik, before him.

“Dad is so pissed, Aa'on. You are both coming with me. You are both under arrest.” Erik grabbed Aaron’s arms and pulled them roughly behind his back. He then pushed his brother’s face into the window, handcuffed Aaron, and forced him onto his knees. Erik took out his poké ball and pressed the little latch, and his beedrill poured out and whizzed around the small carriage. “Use toxic spikes.”

The beedrill buzzed and spat out toxic spikes from its stinger, and they fell onto the floor.

“Alright, Aa'on, you know the drill.” Erik pulled up Aaron’s sleeve and pushed his brother’s arm into a toxic spike. “The more you move, the faster it will spread.” He turned to his beedrill and then looked at Mylious. “Push him onto the floor.” The beedrill buzzed and pushed Mylious onto the toxic spikes on the floor. Erik raised his leg and kicked Mylious in the stomach as hard as he could. “It is what you deserve. Next stop, Susk-Rosk.”

“N-no, next stop is Quigk…” Mylious whispered. His leg twinged from the arrows, and his stomach ached from the kick. The toxins in his body made his throat feel like it was closing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom