• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Dear Nemesis (TEEN)

canisaries

still occasionally here
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
ATTENTION (4 Aug 2017): This fic is currently being reformatted (and possibly slightly revised in other aspects too, based on the critique I've gotten) because first time round I was a stupid doggo and unaware of proper formatting rules, and only now I've realized the original looked like Clippy got real drunk and started eating the letters off the screen, only to realize that oops maybe those weren't edible and vomit it all over the screen. So if the chapters don't seem to be matchin', you'll know it's because Canis is a-patchin'. Alright, now onto the actual intro so that you dinguses can read this terrible slashfic.

---

ATTENTION (6 Sep 2017): After approximately 200 years, reformatting is finished. So y'all can just disregard that first note. That's it. Buhbye.

---

Hi, everyone. I'm new here at the Writer's Workshop, though I've been writing for a year or two already (writing actual fiction I mean, something I post online). Dear Nemesis was my first proper fanfic. It is a Twitch Plays Pokémon fanfic, so it's likely that you won't be familiar with the lore (past Red or Crystal, anyway). Besides, TPP is unique in the way that there is no canon - everyone has a different view on the characters and events. So, don't be surprised if characters don't act exactly the way you'd expect them to based on outsider information. TPP is fanfictionland itself.

If you want to know what the general canon is like, here are the TV Tropes character pages, but I'm working on making my fics suitable for a broader audience anyway, so hopefully you won't need it too much. It's just that if it seems like there's a lot of characters, that's because there is.

Without further ado, here is Dear Nemesis. Rated Teen.

---

DEAR NEMESIS

Synopsis: AJ is baffled when Red shows up at his house with flowers and no murderous intent. Things escalate.
Started (first part uploaded originally): 18 Jul 2016
Genre: Shipping, Humorous
Length: ~16 000 words

---

INDEX:

Part 1: It Begins
Part 2: The Siege

Part 3: Confessions
Part 4: Investigation
Part 5: Playing Along
Part 6: It Ends

---

Part 1: It Begins

The doorbell rang.

“Gator, could you get that,” AJ lazily shouted, keeping his head unlifted from his book.

The bluish crocodilian clumsily stamped his way to the front door and peered into the peephole. Nearly instantly he darted back. He tiptoed around, careful not to trip over his tail.

“AJ! You oughtta see this,” he cautiously called.

“What, who is it?” AJ asked.

“No, just… come over here. But be discreet about it.”

AJ put down his book and snuck into the hall.

“Look,” the feraligatr whispered, and moved further away from the door to give AJ space. The boy took a quick glance through the hole, then stepped back with an annoyed look on his face.

Red Akai. The High Priest of the Church of Helix, as he called himself. King of the Squid-Smoochers, as AJ called him. Though “King” was still far too good a title for a jackass like Red.

“Not him again,” AJ sighed. “Gator, you should have just shooed him away.”

“No, take a closer look,” Gator insisted. “Why is he… like that?

AJ sighed again, this time louder and raspier, but looked again anyway.

Indeed, this time he looked different. Instead of his usual, worn clothes, he was neatly dressed. He had a clean white shirt and a gray tie, and in his hands he held… flowers?

His head was turned to his side, and it appeared that he was arguing with someone. In fact, as AJ pressed his head against the door, he could overhear the conversation.

“See, I... I told you it wasn’t going to work. He’s probably thinking of releasing that... lizard on me as we speak.”

“Red. Come on. Just ring the doorbell again. He probably didn’t hear you.”

“I’ve been here many times, Abe, I know by now that he can tell I’m here. Look, this is a lost cause, we should just go back home.”

“I’m not the reason we’re here. This is for you and you alone. Well, all of us, technically, but mostly you.”

“...But what if we’re talking and that - what’s his name - Joe kid comes in and --”

“You already know Joey’s at his relatives’ for the next few weeks.”

“...”

“Just ring the doorbell again.”

“I-I’ll just figure out something else at home. I’ll go through my scrolls again, there must be something there that can help me --”

“Red, please, you yourself said this was the only option. Now, ring the doorbell.”

“Fine, I’ll knock.”

“That’s not what I --”

A loud thump pierced through AJ’s head. The shockwave of pain caused him to fall on the floor. Four more thumps followed before silence spread across the hallway again. “That son of a...” AJ hissed to himself, climbing back on his feet and wrenching the door open.

“What?” he snapped.

Red seemed a bit startled by the swift response to his ‘knock’ for a second, but soon pulled himself together. He hurriedly cleared his throat, and spoke.

“Oh, hello.”

A brief moment of silence followed.

“Why are you here?” AJ’s sentence was less of a question and more of a lament, but Red took it as the first nonetheless.

“Well, you see, I’m… I’m here to...”

He suddenly stopped and drew the small bouquet of flowers in front of his face.

“I’ve got flowers. For you.”

Awkwardly, he offered AJ the delicate blue-white-petaled flowers.

“They’re ridgeblues,” Red said.

“...Right,” AJ muttered, taking the flowers from Red, not breaking eye contact for a second.

“They only grow on Mt. Silver,” Red hastily continued, “and, well… that place… you know, it’s the place where...”

“You first swore death on me?” AJ added monotonously.

“Well, yes, that too, but mostly...”

He didn’t bother finishing his already doomed sentence, and instead began a new one.

“I… need to talk to you about something,” he stuttered.

“You’ve talked to me plenty already,” AJ whispered and began to close the door, but Red quickly stepped closer.

“It’s important.”

“If it’s so important, why don’t you just tell me,” AJ growled from the chink of the door.

“I-I can’t just tell you like that, I --”

“Well, then that settles it. Buh-bye.”

“Wait --”

AJ slammed the door shut and threw the flowers on the floor. He leaned back against the door and let himself slide down, in addition emitting a long, annoyed groan.

“See, I told you it wasn’t going to work,” he could still hear from behind. The indignant expression was followed by footsteps, gradually fading until nothing remained.

Silence fell upon the hall. It continued until Gator opened his maw.

“Lizard?” he muttered.

AJ was about to respond, but a sudden familiar voice interrupted his attempt.

“Oh, wow,” Burrito meowed, lying down. “Was that a sacrificial dagger in his pants or was he just happy to see you?”

What?” AJ exclaimed, knitting his brows. “What are you even talking about?”
“You didn’t notice?” Burrito said with feigned, mockingly exaggerated shock, flashing a cocky smile right after.

AJ warily glanced around. “Is this some kind of joke I’m not getting?” he quietly asked.

“Well, it is funny, but no,” Burrito replied. “I’m not joking here.”

AJ silently stared into Burrito’s big, violet eyes, anxious for elaboration.

“I saw the whole thing, hun,” Burrito continued. “Nice clothes? Visibly nervous? Flowers that can only be found in the place you first met? You don’t need to be a love guru like me to understand what’s happening here.”

“...Hold on a second,” AJ said. “Are you actually implying --”

Burrito nodded.

“Burrito, that’s… absurd. There’s no way that would happen.”

“Why is it so hard for you to believe me?” Burrito laughed.

“Did someone put something in your kibble?” AJ said, now in an audibly disgruntled voice. “In case you didn’t notice, that was Red. You know, the guy who absolutely loathes me and frequently lets me know just how much he wants to tear my guts out? He’s obviously just scheming something again. Those flowers are probably highly poisonous or dangerous or… something.” He gestured to the dainty plants scattered across the floor. The modest pale blossoms nearly radiated innocence, which made AJ turn his head away with a quiet humph. “Looks can be deceiving. You know what I mean.”

“Fine, then,” Burrito said, briefly scowling, then resuming his arrogant smile. “You don’t have to believe me. I’m only a psychic-type who specializes in love and everything about it, what do I know.”

Burrito got up, turned around and strutted away with his tail upright, lazily swinging side to side. After the feline had left the room, Gator sighed.

“Pay him no mind, AJ. He’s clearly just messing with you,” he said, crouching and placing his hand on AJ’s shoulder. “You’d better just go back to your book and forget all this. I’ll go get rid of those flowers for you.”

“...Thanks, Gator,” AJ said, seeming deep in thought, got up and began heading for the living room.

Gator waited until he was out of sight, then moved to carefully pick up the flowers one by one. Having gathered them all, he exited through the door.

“Oh, hi, Gator,” sounded an abrupt faint greeting from the front yard.

Startled, the crocodilian looked up to find Katie standing on the cobblestone, smiling gently. Gator greeted her back. Suddenly, Katie’s eyes widened. She had noticed the flowers.

“Gator, are those --” she gasped and hastily fluttered closer. As she more closely examined the blossoms, she continued. “Are those ridgeblues?”

“Uh… yes, I believe so,” Gator hesitantly responded.

“Wow...” she sighed, sniffing the petals. “They smell even better than I remember.”

“What do you mean?”

“Oh, back when we were climbing Mt. Silver - you know, back then - I happened to find these kinds of flowers while looking for a way up,” she explained. “They were in a really hard-to-find place, too. I could barely reach it myself. The path to that place was extremely treacherous.”

“Is that so...” Gator mumbled to himself.

“Yeah, whoever picked these risked their life to get them. Especially at this time of year.”

Gator gazed at the flowers with an expressionless face.

“So, who are they from? And to whom?” Katie eagerly asked.

“See, that’s the strange part,” Gator said. “Red gave these to AJ, just a while ago.”

Him? Really?” Her smile shifted into a look of confusion and worry.

Gator confirmed with a nod. “In fact, I was just going to throw these away. Who knows what he could be up to with these flowers.”

He tried to move forward, but Katie blocked his path.

“Oh, no no no, you don’t need to do that,” she insisted. “These flowers are harmless, I’ve read all about them. But they are very rare. It would be a shame to just… throw them away like that.”

“...You want them instead, don’t you,” Gator muttered.

Katie nodded excitedly and without an ounce of shame.

“Alright, but don’t say I didn’t warn you,” he said, giving the flowers to the delighted dragoness.

“Thanks, Gatey! I’ll take good care of them,” she squealed with glee, and took off.

“You’re, uh, welcome,” Gator weakly shouted after her. “Also, don’t call me ‘Gatey’,” he tried to add, but she was long gone.

He let out a subtle, indifferent ‘hm’, and went back inside.

---

Last edited:
Hey there! Firstly, welcome to the Workshop, always nice to see a fresh face around. If you look at our Welcome Hub, you'll see that we welcome original works here as well, so feel free to post those as well!

Onto your story, this was a really quick but great read. You have an amazing grasp on the dialogue between these characters. Every sentence felt unique to the character speaking and gave us a great snapshot of who that person/Pokemon was with only a few sentences. You also had some great sentences around those quotes - "less of a question and more of a lament" was a particular stand out, and not the sort of thing you see often from a (relatively) new writer. It was a really intriguing look at these characters and a quick intro to this world, and I am intrigued to see where it goes next.

My one note would be around description. It's not always necessary, particularly when the scene is in one location like this, but letting the readers know where it is taking place is a good way to help set the scene and show off your skills. What type of house is it, what colour is the hallway, what is the garden like? Small details go a really long way towards establishing a broader world and making the story just that little bit richer. Describing Pokemon is a good thing to do as well, just as it is nice to see how the author pictures them instead of being left to our own devices. You showed you are capable of that with the line about Gator 'clumsily stamping' his way to the door; more of that would really light up this world!

Overall this was a really good chapter and with just a few more details it could be truly great. I'm looking forward to reading more, and am definitely intrigued to see what Red is up to! I loved that whole Twitch Plays world when it first started, and it's exciting to see it all come to the world of fan fiction!

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's pleasant to receive critique so quickly. I may not personally see the importance of location detail, since it doesn't seem all too relevant to the story and less is more and all that, but I guess in a more interesting setting than "normal house" that would be important thing to consider.
It's good to hear the descriptive verbs and such paid off, though, I'm not a native English speaker so I had to search around a bit to add to the vocabulary.

(By the way, quick question, what is a "threadmark label" and is it important?)

Anyway, here's part 2.

---

Part 2: The Siege

The next morning, AJ was reluctant to get out of bed.

“Get uuuuup,” Burrito moaned. “I’m hungry!”

“Ugh, no,” AJ muttered from underneath his blanket. “Today’s gonna suck, I can already tell. Why bother getting up.”

“You just woke up,” Burrito mrowed. “You haven’t even started this day yet.”

“I had a nightmare, okay,” AJ snapped, as harshly as a person still half-asleep could.

“You’ll have another if you don’t feed me soon, you-”

Abruptly, Burrito stopped. A smile creeped on his face.

“What kind of nightmare?” he asked, in a teasing tone. “Was it about... a certain someone?”

AJ mumbled something indistinct. Most likely it was something obscene.

“Oh, I bet it was,” Burrito continued, grinning. “I bet he was naked, too-”

“If I feed you, will you shut your damn mouth?” AJ interrupted.

“I’m glad we’ve reached an agreement,” Burrito chirped, content, and left the room.

AJ groaned, threw away his blanket, and got up.

He went on to brush his teeth, get dressed and eat breakfast. Gradually, his mood became more and more at ease as the sun rose higher up in the sky, and by midday, he felt as good as he had felt waking up the day before.

“How’s the day sucking so far?” Burrito inquired, as he saw AJ on the couch, reading the same book as yesterday.

“Eh,” AJ began, but failed to come up with anything else to add.

A quiet thump was heard from the table next to them. Katie had put down a small vase filled with ridgeblues.

“Yeah, this seems like a good spot,” Katie quietly said to herself.

“Wait... are those the flowers Red brought?” AJ asked and turned to look at Gator, who was in the next room. “Gator, what’s this about?”

“Uhh-” the crocodilian tried to begin, but Katie answered first.

“I asked Gator to give them to me,” she explained. “Don’t worry, they’re harmless. Trust me.”

“Well, could you at least put them somewhere else?” AJ requested. “I don’t want him to see them through the window and think that I’m actually falling for this ridiculous ploy of his or something.”

Katie gave a resentful ‘hmph’, picked up the vase and marched out of the room.

AJ got up, irritated. “I’m going for a walk.”

He tramped into the hallway, causing Burrito to leap onto and curl up in the now free, pre-warmed spot on the couch.

Upon stepping out of the door, AJ froze in place. His face twisted into an expression of intense contempt.

You again,” he snarled.

Red was sitting on the front lawn, looking tired, still in his clothes from the day before.

“You sure took your sweet time,” Red sighed. “Normally you leave the house at least two hours earlier.”

“Leave.” The word was uttered with utmost disdain, like a rattle an ekans would give as warning before striking.

“I’m not leaving until I achieve what I came here for.”

“Then what did you come here for?” AJ exclaimed, clenching his forearms towards himself in fierce frustration. Every single word of his sentence was emphasized and filled to the brim with aggression. He would not let the day turn out the way he’d feared.

“Let me inside and I’ll tell you.”

“Like hell I will!” AJ shouted. “What makes you think that, after all you’ve done to me and my friends, I’d let you in my house?”

“Well, first of all...”

“Piss off, Red.”

Red didn’t react.

“It means ‘leave’,” AJ sighed.

“I know,” Red said, unfazed. “I’m just not leaving.”

“You know I have a restraining order against you, right?” AJ said. “I could call the cops on you right now --”

“Don’t bother,” Red sneered. “The police in this part of the region are a joke. I once beat up some kid only about half a mile from here and --”

He stopped.

“...Alright, how about you just forget you heard that,” he said.

AJ grunted and slammed the door shut. He waited a moment, then peeked out the window. Red was still there, dully staring at the grass, either unaware of or uncaring about the green smears it had left on his rear and pant legs.

“He’s not leaving, is he,” he said, turning to Gator and Burrito, both of whom had arrived to see what all the yelling was about.

“No, I’m not,” sounded a shout from behind the glass, resulting in AJ promptly shutting the window blinds.

“Maybe we need to move him by force,” Gator suggested. “I’ll go.”

“No need,” Burrito purred. “I’ll handle this.”

“You?” Gator laughed. “What are you gonna do, hiss at him? Cough some hairballs in his face?”

“Just you watch,” Burrito said, cracked the door and slipped out.

Noticing the espeon, Red darted upright. His face grew more and more suspicious as the feline neared closer.

“Hey, pretty boy,” Burrito cooed, slowing down. “Here for some sugar, huh?”

“No, thanks, I’ve got plenty at home,” Red replied.

“It’s an expression, hun… Nevermind.”

Burrito lay down on the grass, right next to Red’s feet.

“You don’t have to be so shy, sweetie,” Burrito meowed. “I know why you’re here.”

“You do?” Red said, crouching, unnerved. “You won’t tell him, will you?”

“Of course not, hun. I would never take away your chance to tell him face to face,” Burrito assured. “And besides, it’s more fun this way,” he added with a smirk.

Red, seeming uncertain, sat back down.

“Now, sweetie,” Burrito began, “tell me just how you’re gonna do it. I wanna hear everything.”

“Oh... really?” Red gave a strange, uncanny smile. “Sure, I’ll tell you a secret. Come closer.”

Eyes wide, curiosity piqued, Burrito creeped closer. Red slowly leaned towards the feline, gently placed his hands on both sides of the espeon’s head, resulting in Burrito letting out a brief inquisitive purr.

“You see...” Red softly started.

Suddenly, his fingers burrowed deep into Burrito’s skin and his grip became inescapably firm.

“I don’t quite like eevee,” Red calmly whispered.

Burrito’s expression had switched from confident to aghast. He couldn’t move a muscle.

“So, unless you want me to turn you into a nice, pink rug...” Red continued.

Burrito’s ears were swung as back as they could bend. His tail was tucked between his legs.

“...you had better go back inside and tell your worthless friends to let... me... in.”

Upon the final word, Red released Burrito from his grasp. The feline immediately bolted across the front yard and slipped in through the cracked door to meet a worried AJ and a smug Gator.

“Well,” Burrito squeaked, subtly trembling. “He might be in love with you, but it appears that he hates us others just as much as before.”

“He’s not in love with me, Burrito,” AJ groaned. “He’s just plotting something, and this… act of his is part of his plan.”

“Do I go now?” Gator sighed.

“No, don’t. I want to get to the bottom of this,” AJ mumbled, pulling out his phone. “I’m gonna ask Abe.”

He opened the texting app, tapped on Abe’s name and began typing.

“what the hell is your brother doing” he wrote, and sent the text.

Some seconds passed. Then a reply appeared, accompanied by a buzz.

“Who is this?”

“aj. don’t you have my number”

“Red told me to delete it.”

“typical.” “but why is he here”

“Beats me. He just got dressed up and left without saying anything, just like yesterday.”

AJ sighed quietly.

“don’t play dumb. i heard you two talking behind my door”

“Oh.” “Sorry.” “But I can’t tell you why he’s there.”

“why not”

“He needs to say it himself.”

“say what himself”

“I can’t tell you. It needs to come from him.”

“im not letting him in my house abe”

“Just let him in and do what he says. He’s not there to harm you.”

“no, are you crazy” “since when has he not wanted to harm me”

“You’re just going to have to take his word and mine for this.”

“has he got something on you” “is he making you say this”

“I’m telling the truth, AJ.” “Let him in.”

A message with some confidently smiling emotes followed. AJ cringed.

“hell no” “im sending him back”
AJ typed, sent the message and closed his phone. It soon buzzed again, but he ignored it.

“Well, well, well,” Burrito chuckled, now fully recovered from his state of shock before. “Looks like I was right. That boy really does want the D. And I’m not talking about our Kalosian friend here.”

“You want me to shoo him away now?” Gator groaned to AJ, ignoring Burrito.

“Go ahead,” AJ said. “It doesn’t look like we have much of a choice.”

Thank you.

The feraligatr decisively marched out the door. He fixed his eyes on Red, who, upon hearing the door open, had gotten up and adopted a moderately aggressive stance.

“Alright, kid,” Gator shouted, crossing his bulky arms, “time to scram.”

“I thought I had made myself clear, croc,” Red growled. “I’m not leaving.”

“Then you leave me no choice,” Gator boomed. He began to slowly approach Red.

Red didn’t budge. He merely kept staring at Gator in anticipation.

The hulking beast kept stomping forth until he was only a couple of feet away from Red, then stopped to tower over the stubborn young man. Some second passed with both remaining immobile. Gator’s face began to show some confusion.

“What?” Red barked, upper lip raised to bare his teeth.

“...Aren’t you gonna pull a knife on me or something?” asked the mon.

Red looked at the ground, discomforted, not answering.

“You don’t have a knife on you, do ya.”

No answer.

“Well, good,” Gator said, standing up straight, cracking his knuckles. “That’ll make this a lot easier.”

With one swift motion, Gator swept Red onto his arms and lifted him up.

“Wh-” Red tried to protest, but Gator interrupted.

“If you won’t move by yourself, it means I gotta move you myself,” he confidently remarked.

“Put me down,” Red hissed.

“Nah,” Gator blurted, indifferent. He began to trudge out of the yard. Red flailed wildly for some time, trying to escape from the giant’s grasp, but soon gave up with a displeased sigh.

“I’m just going to come back, you know,” Red said.

“Fine with me. I’ll just ‘relocate’ you again,” Gator replied, secretly smiling to himself.

“Are you seriously planning on carrying me the whole way back to Pallet?” Red scoffed.

“Of course not,” Gator replied. “We’ll take the train. But first...”

He glanced at the sparkling waters of Route 27, where they had arrived.

Red’s eyes widened in realization.

“Don’t you dare-” he tried, but it was too late.

Swinging his arms, Gator flung Red into the bay. A hearty splash rung out.

---

A polite knock sounded from the front of the house.

Abraham Akai put down his phone and rushed to the door from the living room. He looked through the peephole, sighed and opened the door fully.

“I believe this is yours,” Gator announced, holding up a dripping wet, upset-looking Red.

“Hi, Red,” Abe said monotonously.

“Hi, Abe,” Red mumbled, jaded.

“Welp, my job is done,” Gator said, and nonchalantly dropped Red on the ground, causing the human to utter a weak whimper of pain. “Come back tomorrow if you want another nice dip in the summer sun. See ya.”

Having said that, Gator turned around and sauntered off.

“...Are you okay?” Abe cautiously asked.

“I’m fine,” Red snapped, voice quivering slightly.

“Do you want me to do anyth-”

“Just… leave me here for a second,” Red grunted. “I’ll come in soon.”

Abe awkwardly lingered in the doorway for a moment, but eventually closed the door and walked back to the living room.

---

Last edited:
another part. enjoy.

---

Part 3: Confessions

It was cold. Cold and dark.

AJ tried to get up, but when he rose slightly, his hands were pulled back.

He looked behind him. His wrists were securely chained to the wall with rusty, heavy fetters of iron.

He looked at his surroundings. A gloomy concrete corridor opened in front of him. The walls, the ceiling and the floor, all gray and lifeless, all continued further until they were completely shrouded by the deepening darkness they led towards.

In the background, there rang a strange, ominous noise which would occasionally strengthen, but weaken again after a moment.

Where am I? AJ thought. His pulse began to speed up.

A brief, distant laugh echoed through the hall.

“Who’s there?” AJ shouted into the darkness. No answer, save for his own words resounding.

But soon, AJ heard something. Footsteps. Approaching.

“Who are you?” AJ demanded.

The same laugh rang out again, this time closer.

Is that…

“I think you know,” a familiar voice responded. AJ could tell the speaker was smiling.

It’s him… AJ’s heart began to race.

From the shadows, a figure emerged. Red eyes flashed in the dark. The figure walked into sight.
There was no mistaking. It was Red. And he was… shirtless?

And what he did have on him sure was... unique. Golden chains carrying charms and amulets adorned his neck, wrists and forehead, but even when he moved, they made no sound. His primitive-looking trousers and boots were of brown leather. Both articles of clothing were… rather tight.

Must be a Helixian thing, AJ thought to himself. But that’s not what’s important here...

“Bastard,” AJ growled. “What do you want from me? Are you here to kill me? Torture me?”

Red chuckled. “AJ, please,” he cooed. “Why would I do that?”

The young man gracefully moved closer, crouched and grasped AJ’s chin, gently but surprisingly firmly. A shiver crept down AJ’s back.

“After all, there are so many better things I want to do to you,” he whispered.

What? That’s not like him… Something weird is going on here. I need to get the hell away.

AJ struggled to escape, but just couldn’t break free from Red’s grip. Red smiled eerily and placed his hand on AJ’s chest. That’s when AJ realized something.

I’m… I’m shirtless too…

He would have blushed, had he not been so pale from his fear.

Red inched even closer, pressing his body against AJ’s. He let his hand slide down from AJ’s chin to the boy’s neck, caressing it softly. He turned to AJ’s ear.

“Don’t worry,” he murmured. “I won’t harm you.”

AJ’s heart was beating out of his chest.

Is he really… Wait. W-what’s that pressing against my-

“Now,” Red purred, “why don’t we get to it...”

AJ could hear something slipping out of Red’s mouth. Something slimy. He felt it touch his neck, sliding across it. AJ flinched. When it slithered into view, AJ could see that it was a… blue… tentacle…

Red’s grip constricted, becoming suffocating.

“I bet your blood tastes delicious, little boy.”

AJ sprung up, gasping for air, cold sweat on his forehead. It was bright. He glanced around, and realized he was in his bedroom. On top of the shelf to his left, there stood a thoroughly startled Burrito, on his toes, fur bristled, eyes wide.

“What was that?” Burrito whimpered.

AJ took a moment to catch his breath, then turned to the pink mon. “What was what?” he panted.

“You were sleeping all peacefully, and then- then you just went crazy!”

AJ exhaled deeply in relief. “Sorry, Burrito,” he said. “I had another nightmare.”

“A-a-another nightmare, huh?” Burrito tried to give a sly smirk, but was still too agitated to pull it off properly.

“I-it wasn’t like that, Burrito,” AJ rushed to clarify. “I dreamt that I was… um… drowning.”

“So I guess you could say you had a ‘wet’ dream?”

AJ stared at the grinning Burrito. He then picked up a book from his nightstand and promptly threw it at the feline, causing Burrito to dart off the shelf and out of the room. AJ sighed and let himself fall back onto his bed.

Later that morning, in the kitchen, AJ shoved another spoon of cereal into his mouth, watching his trusted pidgeot, Brian, nip at a berry sandwich. Unblinking, the boy followed every bob of the flying-types head, almost hypnotized by the motion.

“What’s it like being a bird?” AJ suddenly asked.

Brian looked up and stared straight into AJ’s eyes.

“What’s it like being a human?” he asked back, tonelessly.

Before AJ could decide whether to answer or not, the doorbell rang.

“Well, have fun with that weirdo. I’m going upstairs,” Brian sighed, grabbed the sandwich with his beak, flitted down on the floor and strutted off.

AJ buried his face in his palms for a few moments. After a deep breath and some forced optimistic thoughts, he went to answer the door.

What he saw, he was not prepared for.

It was indeed Red, as AJ had guessed, but he looked different. A lot different. He had black, tight leggings on, partially covered by a black skirt with an asymmetrical hem. For the top, he wore a short, white leather jacket with overly long, woollen black sleeves. Underneath, he had a deep V-neck, colored burgundy. His hair was styled quite fashionably. His shoes, however, were the same homely ones as before.

“What… what are you wearing?” AJ snickered. “A-and is that… eyeliner?”

Guyliner,” Red specified, sighing. “That’s what he called it, anyway...”

“Who?”

“Nevermind… Just let me in.”

“Nope,” AJ replied, and slammed the door shut. “Gator!” he called out.

“Not so fast,” Red intervened from outside. “I’ve brought some backup with me this time.”

“Backup?” AJ repeated, and moved to the window.

He could see that, in the front yard, there stood three, formidable mon.

On the left, there was a pidgeot with a magnificent, glossy crest, preening himself while holding a mobile device in the cushioned talons of his right foot. In the middle, there was a nidoking wearing a brown leather jacket, hands tucked in the pockets. On the right, there was a very vexed-seeming zapdos.

“As you can see, unleashing your lizard friend on me now would result in a considerable retaliation,“ Red explained.

“Where are the others?” AJ asked.

“What do you mean ‘the others’?”

“You know, the lapras and the bug… car… thing, and the…” AJ didn’t want to finish his sentence.

“ATV doesn’t like your dragon very much. Jordan is still busy playing in that water-basketball team. And...” AJ could hear a surge in hostility in Red’s voice. “I am never letting you anywhere near Him again.”

“What a coincidence,” AJ snarled. “That’s exactly how I feel about you and me.

“You will never understand how I feel, AJ.

They both fell silent. After a while, AJ picked up the conversation again.

“So you’re just gonna stand there until I let you in, huh.”

“That is correct.”

“Well, too bad. It’s not happening.”

“Eventually, it must.”

Silence again.

“Do you think this is easy for me, AJ?” Red sighed, out of the blue.

AJ didn’t answer.

“At first, I didn’t want to come here,” Red began.

AJ stood still.

“‘There must be another way’, I told myself. ‘I don’t have to go there’, I told myself.”

AJ glanced at the kitchen and saw Burrito sneaking closer. Ugh, not now, Burrito, he thought.

“But I had to.”

AJ knitted his brow. Wait, could he be about to…

“Because...”

AJ quickly turned towards the closed door. This is it, he thought triumphantly. He’s finally gonna tell me why he keeps coming here.

“I need you, AJ.”

Burrito froze in his tracks. He placed his front paws on his mouth, then removed them shortly after, revealing a cocky smirk.

AJ, on the other hand, was not very pleased.

“Red...” he menacingly began. “Get. The hell. Off my yard.”

“AJ, just listen to me-”

“Suck my dick, Red!” AJ yelled, and kicked the door. “And I don’t mean literally, Burrito!” he added, stormed out of the room and ran up the stairs, leaving behind a slightly offended Burrito and a confused Red.

“Brian!” AJ called out.

“Yeah?” the bird responded from behind one of the doors. AJ rushed into the room where the voice had come from. Brian lifted his head from his magazine, looking puzzled.

“Get ready to head out,” AJ ordered. “We’re gonna find out what all this is about, right now.”

He pulled out his phone, and began to text Abe. He didn’t bother checking the unread message from before. Brian scuffled behind him.

“who is responsible for red’s getup” AJ demanded.

A reply appeared with a buzz. “Did you like it?”

“that’s not importa”

AJ’s tapping halted. Brian looked at him, slightly confused. Then, AJ backspaced, and began typing a different message. “yeah. who styled him?”

“Oh, great! I didn’t think you would, but I guess D really did know what he was doing.”

“d? isn’t he in kalos?”

“He opened up a salon in Goldenrod a few weeks ago.”

“what’s its address? i’d love to go there sometime.”

Soon, AJ received a message with the full address. He glanced at Brian, showing a quick, victorious smirk.

“thanks dude” he concluded, and put away his phone.

“Alright, Brian,” he said, “looks like we’re visiting Goldenrod.”

AJ left the room and descended the staircase halfway. “Burrito!” he called.

Burrito lazily shuffled into sight, dragging his paws along the wooden floor apathetically. He gave AJ a subtly contemptuous look.

“What?” AJ asked defensively.

Burrito raised his head and looked away.

“Look, I’m sorry I yelled at you,” AJ sighed.

“Are you?” Burrito humphed bitterly.

“Yes, Burrito, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it.”

The espeon suddenly turned to him, smirking. “So you did mean it literally, then?”

“Oh, come on --

“I’m just joking, AJ,” Burrito chuckled. “Anyway, what was it you wanted?”

“Well, Brian and I are going to see D and ask him what he knows, since he was apparently the one who dressed Red up like… that. We need you guys to watch the house and distract Red while we’re gone. Can you do that?”

“Depends. Can we have some fun at his expense?”

“As long as he doesn’t get in the house or figure out that I’m gone, you can have all the fun at his expense.”

“Deal!”

They both nodded in unison, Burrito grinning.

“Alright, see ya,” AJ whispered, and snuck back upstairs. Brian was already standing there, waiting for him. They opened the window at the end of the hall. Brian perched on the windowsill, and AJ climbed on his back.

“Hold on tight,” Brian said, and they took off.

---

Last edited:
Nother update. Something you oughtta know: Evan is the protagonist of Twitch Plays Pokémon Anniversary Crystal. He released (killed, in TPP terms) many Pokémon, including multiple Omanyte/Omastar. At the end of his journey, he merged with the glitch entity, Olden, and is now a considerable threat.

Okay, enjoy.

---

Part 4: Investigation

“Questioning? Well, boys, you are in luck. As a salon keeper, I hear and see all kinds of things, and I remember all of it,” D proudly proclaimed. His voice had a hint of a Kalosian accent.

“Well, then,” AJ began. “We’ve been informed that you’ve had a session with a certain Red earlier today, possibly yesterday.”

“Mr. Akai, you mean,” D said, rolling his eyes. “Yes, he did indeed show up here this morning, along with his brother, at about eight o’clock. I had just opened up the salon. Originally, I turned the two away, as neither of them were elegant enough to deserve the honor of being a customer of mine. However, after some money talk, and some… words I would rather not have had uttered in a refined place such as this, I obliged.”

“Can you tell us the gist of those ‘words’? We don’t want to miss anything important,” AJ requested.

“Well, those words were used to paint some very colorful scenarios of what would have happened to me, had I chosen not to accept their request.”

“Yep, that’s Red for ya…” AJ muttered, then resumed the questioning. “Then what happened?”

“Trying to make the best of the situation, I chose to take it as a challenge,” D continued. “A test of the great designer-slash-hairdresser-slash-stylist D’s abilities. ‘That boy sure could use a lot of work’, I thought... Well, not that his brother was much better.” D cleared his throat gracefully, which AJ didn’t think was even possible.

“Anyway, he had requested me to make him ‘look good’ - as plebeians like him usually call it - so I did my best. First, I had him take a quick vitalizing session with Xernie, since he was looking so pale and tired-“

“Pardon me, sir, but we’re not here to hear about the entire process,” Brian interrupted. “We just want to know if they said anything.”

D humphed. “Very well. But, unfortunately, they didn’t talk very much. They never told me what the older Akai wanted to ‘look good’ for, but from their brief conversations, seemed like it was a ‘who’.”

“Could you elaborate?” AJ asked.

“He said something along the lines of ‘I have trouble controlling myself around him’ and ‘every time I approach him, my pulse goes wild’. Hm. Seems like he was really smitten with someone, don’t you think?”

“We’ll be the ones drawing the conclusions here, D,“ AJ grunted. “You just focus on giving the information accurately, alright?”

“Fine. But I’m afraid I don’t have much more information to give. After I had done my work on the boy, the two paid me and left. Not before returning the shoes I gave them, however. It made me quite furious to see such great coordination go to waste, especially with my chic footwear being replaced by those appalling, worn sneakers, but the boy was very adamant about not wearing heels, and I was not willing to hear his ghastly threats again.”

“Really? That’s it?” AJ groaned, disappointed.

“Yes. Now, are you going to buy anything, or did you come here just to waste my time?”

“The latter. Come on, AJ, let’s go,” Brian sighed.

They exited the salon, moved to a less crowded street and stopped there.

AJ yawned. “Well, what now? D didn’t know anything.”

“He did know something,” Brian remarked.

“No, he didn’t. He didn’t say anything Burrito hasn’t already implied. He probably misheard him,” AJ muttered.

“But AJ… what if he actually is ‘smitten with you’, though?” Brian cautiously asked.

“He isn’t, and that’s final.”

“I’m just thinking… he already was pretty crazy. Maybe he finally snapped completely, and this is the result.”

“Brian, no. He’s playing mind games. You’re falling for it.”

“Maybe you’re giving the guy a bit too much credit. Hasn’t been pretty straightforward with his attempts on your life in the past? You know, all ‘stabby stabby, I’ll kill you’ -like?”

“Look, it doesn’t even matter. We just need to find someone else to question.”

Brian looked at the ground, seeming contemplative. “What about Paul?” he abruptly suggested.

“Who’s Paul?” AJ asked.

“Red’s friend.”

“Red has friends?

“Yeah. He’s from that Rijon place, but he’s currently working part-time in Kanto. Him and Red hang out sometimes.”

“How do you even know these things?”

“Internet. You hear about all kinds of stuff on there.”

“Well… okay, then. How can we reach this Paul?”

Brian gestured towards the phone in the AJ’s pocket. “I know just the way,” he said, smiling.

---

Burrito ambled into the hall, where Gator and Katie were watching the three tired-looking mon outside through the window. He cleared his throat, causing them to turn to him.

“What is it, Burrito?” Katie asked.

“Our master AJ has left us with a very important task,” Burrito announced. “While he and Brian are out hunting for information, it is our job to watch this poor mess of a man. And, preferably, also screw with him a little.”

“AJ left? He can’t just leave like th-“ Gator grumbled, but Burrito’s frantic paw flailing made him quieten.

He’s not supposed to find out,” Burrito hissed. “So hush up!”

“Are you talking about me over there?” sounded a question from the other side of the door.

“Oh, we’re just wondering if you’ve done this before,” Burrito rushed, trying to save the situation.

“Where is AJ?” Red demanded.

“He’s in the living room, reading a book,” Burrito answered. “But never mind him, sweetie. I asked you a question,” he calmly continued.

A deep sigh could be heard.

“Oh, don’t tell me… Is AJ your first?” Burrito squeed.

“Don’t be an idiot,” Red snapped. “...I’ve done this before.”

“Really? When?”

“None of your business. But... with four people, in total.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes. Two of them at the same time, even.”

“O-oh? How?”

“I’ve got two hands, don’t I.”

“Oh, you dog… I had no idea,” Burrito giggled to himself. “What genders?” he asked.

“I… don’t see how that matters,” Red muttered, “but all men. I haven’t had much need for women so far.”

“So, who were they?”

“That’s confidential,” Red growled. “Not that you’d know them, anyway.”

“Well… how did it end up with them?”

“The three others satisfied my needs sufficiently well. As for the fourth one...” Red let out a brief chuckle. “He found out what happens when someone betrays me.”
“Al…right,” Burrito squeaked. “That’s a bit… creepy.

“What a coincidence... That’s exactly what he said before I… well, use your imagination.”

“I am and I’m not liking it,” Burrito whispered to himself in anguish.

Gator humphed and rolled his eyes. “So, Red,” he crassly began, “how long do you plan on sitting there again?”

“As long as I have to.”

“So even overnight?”

“If I have to.”

“Where are you going to sleep?”

“I’ll figure it out.”

“What are you going to eat?”

“I’ll figure it out.”

“How are you going to --”

“I’ll figure it out!”

Gator couldn’t come up with anything else to ask, so he merely walked off, disinterested.

“Red, um…” Katie began.

“What?” Red shouted.

“You do know that AJ is... taken --”

“By surprise. Yes. Why wouldn’t he be.”

“That’s not what I meant. I was trying to say --”

“That he hates me? That he detests me? I already know that, woman, no need to rub it in.”

“That he’s with Joey!” Katie exclaimed. “Geez, you are dense.”

A moment of silence followed.

“He’s in bed with that kid?” Red asked.

“W-well, I wouldn’t go that far --” Katie stuttered, blushing, but was interrupted.

“And here I thought AJ wouldn’t be… doing that.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, it’s just that… isn’t he basically opposed to such... rituals...”

“What the hell kind of sex is this guy having?” Burrito hissed under his breath, disturbed.

“What… kind of… rituals...” Katie hesitantly enquired, not sure whether or not she actually wanted to know the answer.

“You know what?” Red suddenly snapped. “None of this concerns any of you. I shouldn’t be answering your moronic questions.”

“Well, we don’t need your moronic answers, either,” said Gator, whom the others had not noticed arriving.

“Good,” Red spat.

“Good,” Gator rasped back.

Burrito sighed. “I wonder how AJ and Brian are doing...” he quietly pondered.

---

Paul knocked on the door. “Pizza’s here!” he announced with cheer.

Soon, the door was unlocked and opened by a pidgeot. “Come in,” the bird spoke, with a distanced voice.

“Well, uh, I’d rather just leave the pizza and go, I kinda have other deliveries to make-”

“My wing is broken,” the pidgeot blankly said. “I can’t carry it to the table.”

“...But you just flew to open the door,” Paul skeptically remarked.

The bird kept staring at Paul, not even blinking.

“I broke it just now,” he specified. “Ow. It hurts.”

“Okay, you know what, I’m just gonna leave this on the floor and-” Paul began, crouching to put the pizza box down, but was interrupted by the bird’s shout.

“AJ, get him!”

From behind the bushes, a teenage boy emerged, running and tackling the confused deliveryman forwards onto the hall floor. “Close the door!” the boy shouted, and the bird swiftly flew to slam the door shut.

“What’s going on? Who are you guys?” Paul exclaimed in shock.

“It’s okay, dude, just calm down-” AJ tried, but Paul was stronger. He pushed the boy off himself and turned to the reach the door, but was blocked by the pidgeot wildly swinging its talons in the air.

“Don’t- don’t leave, okay?” the bird panted. “We just need to ask you a few questions, that’s all- AJ, don’t!”

The boy came from behind, seizing the man’s arms and pulling himself back, causing them both to fall backwards on the floor.

“Jump on him, Brian!” the boy shouted.

The bird looked hesitant, but flew onto Paul’s chest, pressing the man down.

“What do you want?” Paul cried out in terror.

“It’s nothing bad, we-we just wanna talk, okay?” the bird stuttered, flailing his wings, gesturing the man to calm down.

“J-just talk?” Paul repeated.

“Yeah, just talk, just… please calm down, okay.”

The pidgeot flew off from Paul’s chest, allowing the man to catch his breath. He soon sat up, in turn allowing the boy to breathe again.

“You didn’t tell me he was an adult,” the boy wheezed.

“So, uh… who are you guys, then?” Paul asked, standing up.

“I’m Brian,” the bird said, “and the guy dying on the floor right now is AJ, my trainer.”

“AJ? That AJ?” Paul cautiously asked.

“The godslayer one, yeah,” the boy revealed, standing up as well.

“‘Godslayer’... alright,” Paul mumbled to himself.

“In any case,” AJ said, “we want to ask you some questions.”

“Well, go ahead then. But try to make it quick, I have other deliveries as well.”

“Sure. So, when was the last time you saw Red?” AJ asked.

“Last week,” Paul answered. “We had some pizza and talked Helixism. Usual stuff.”

“Okay, then- wait.”

AJ turned to Brian. “He’s a Helixian?” he whispered.

“Yeah. What of it?”

“Are you sure we can trust what he says?”

“AJ, don’t be narrow minded. Paul’s not like Red. He’s cool, trust me.”

AJ grumbled something unintelligible, then turned back to Paul.

“So,” he resumed, “did Red tell you about anything going on in his life, or...”

“Sure, we always catch up. But this time it got kinda deep.”

“What do you mean ‘deep’?”

“Like, emotions and stuff.”

“Can you tell us more about these ‘emotions’ of his?”

“Well, we were talking all normal at first, but then out of the blue, he got kinda… shy.”

“Go on.”

“He asked me something like, ‘Paul, have you ever been in love’?”

AJ’s heart skipped a beat. “Oh yeah?”

“I told him about some crushes and a girlfriend I had had. It didn’t seem to ease his mind much, though.”

“...Uh-huh.”

“Then he asked me, ‘How do you tell someone you love them? Someone you’ve known for a long time, but one who probably doesn’t feel the same way about you, or, might not understand if you try to tell them just... like that?’.”

“W-what did you tell him?” AJ stuttered.

“I told him that I didn’t really know, but that he should probably try to tell them soon, so that he’d know if he’s ever gonna have a chance with them or not.”

“And… and then what happened?”

“He thanked me, though it didn’t sound like he really meant it. Then he said he should probably leave, and got on his way home. I guess he’s really head over heels someone, huh.”

“You don’t know that...” AJ muttered under his breath.

“What?”

“Nothing. Thank you, Paul, that would be all.”

“Oh, great. I am running a bit late already.”

He leapt over the pizza box and opened the door, but then stopped. He turned back around with a questioning look.

“...What?” AJ asked.

“...You gonna pay me for that pizza, or what?”

AJ took out his wallet and handed Paul some bills. He looked content and walked out the doorway. AJ walked to inspect the pizza box.

“Aw, man, it’s all smushed,” he groaned. “I guess someone must have fallen on it during all that commotion.”

“Lemme see,” Brian said, and hopped closer. He opened the lid and peeked inside.

“Oh, it’s not so bad. Can’t be dirty, either, since the box didn’t open.”

“You can have it if you want to,” AJ sighed. “I’m not putting that in my mouth.”

“You humans and your germaphobia…” Brian muttered, shaking his head, and then began ripping away pieces from a pizza slice.

---

“Ugh, it’s so hot,” the nidoking groaned.

“Then take off your jacket,” the zapdos muttered, irritated.

“What? No! I can’t take off my jacket, it’s part of my style!”

“Then stop complaining!” the zapdos shouted, his plumage sparking with anger.

“Oh, what, you wanna fight?” the nidoking grunted back, swinging his tail threateningly.

“Fonz! Angel! Stop that,” ordered Red from the doorstep.

“But he --” both the mon shouted, only to be interrupted by the third.

“Ugh, quiet down over there,” the pidgeot whined. “I’m trying to vlog here --”

“Shut up!” snapped both Fonz and Angel.

“Well, geez,” the pidgeot began, clearly offended. “If you’re gonna be like that, I’ll just leave. I got places to be anyway.” He turned back to his phone. “Don’t mind them, guys, they’re just salty because our trainer there” - he pointed the phone in Red’s direction - “thought it was a bright idea to drag us along to his little rendezvous with that douchebag AJ!”

“Abba! Behave!” Red barked.

“No! Screw you, Red! I’ll help a brother in need out and all, but asking me to stand here, in direct sunlight, without any food, for hours, is just a bit too much to ask of someone as important as me! I’m leaving!”

“Abba! Get back here!” Red shouted, but it was too late. The pidgeot had already taken off.
Red buried his face in his hands, letting out a long, distressed sigh. The two remaining mon humphed, and moved further apart from each other.

“What a drama queen,” muttered Gator, who had been watching the events unfold from the window.

“They do seem pretty exhausted...” Katie said.

“If you’re thinking of letting them in, forget it. AJ gave us clear instructions,” replied Gator.

“I know, I’m just… I kind of feel sorry for those two. They’d probably rather be anywhere else right now.”

Burrito yawned, got up and stretched his paws. “Did I miss anything?”

“Not much else than Abba calling it quits,” Katie explained.

“Aw, man, I missed that?” Burrito sighed, jumping on Gator’s shoulder and peeking out the window. “I was waiting to see who’d give up first.”

“Well, the next one certainly won’t be Red,” Gator remarked. “He’s been sitting there for hours now. Without complaining, too.”

Katie peered through the peephole and looked at Red. He had taken off his jacket and covered his head with it, most likely to prevent sunstroke.

“Just what is it with that guy,” Katie muttered. “Any sane person would have given up by now.”

“You’re answering your own question,” sighed Gator, turning to face the living room, causing Burrito to panic from the sudden motion and dig his claws deep into the crocodilian’s hide. Gator didn’t seem to notice.

“What’s taking them so long?” Gator groaned impatiently.

“What’s taking whom so long?” Red shouted.

“Oh, uhh-” Gator tried.

“You bastards. AJ’s not even there, is he?” Red interrupted.

Suddenly, loud thumping and scratching sounded from upstairs.

“Well, looks like he is now,” Katie remarked.

“Are you okay up there?” Gator shouted, startling Burrito.

“Yeah...” a quiet whimper answered.

“Burrito, go get them,” Gator ordered.

Burrito jumped down and dashed up the stairs. After a while, he reappeared at the top, along with AJ and Brian, both of whom looked a bit beat-up. Slowly, the trio made their way down the steps. Katie and Gator moved closer.

“Are you both alright?” Katie asked. “That didn’t sound like a very successful landing.”

“We’re fine,” AJ hissed. “It’s just that this genius here thought he could dive straight in from the open window.”

“Hey, I did it, didn’t I?” Brian squawked.

“Just what were you guys even doing while you were away?” Gator demanded. “You were gone for over twice as long as we expected.”

“We questioned both D and Red’s friend Paul, but neither of them told us anything useful.”

“Red has friends?

“Yeah, I know, right?”

“So… now what will you do?” asked Katie.

“Well, there’s only one more person I can turn to now,” AJ said, pulling out his phone. “She’s not going to like me for this, but I have no other option left.”

AJ walked over to the living room and began a call. After a while, someone picked up.

“Hello,” sounded a woman’s disinterested voice from the other end. AJ put the call on speaker. The others gathered around.

“Hi, Alice, it’s AJ, and --”

“Didn’t I tell you not to call me anymore?”

“Yeah, but --”

“I’m sick of hearing about your petty feud with Red. I have way more important things to worry about. Like, right now, I’m trying to figure out how Evan operates. This could literally be something the fate of our worlds depends on. And I mean literally ‘literally’, not Unovan teen girl ‘literally’. Goodbye, AJ. Don’t call me again. This time I mean it --”

“It’s not about me fighting Red!”

“Oh… it isn’t?”

“It isn’t. Honest.”

“Well, okay then. What is it?”

“...You see, Red --”

The other side hung up.

AJ sighed, lowering the phone. “Well, I’m out of ideas. Looks like we won’t accomplish anything by asking others anymore.”

“Couldn’t we go to Abe? Encourage him to talk a little more?” Gator suggested, cracking his knuckles.

“No… There’s no way Red would keep his house easily accessible. Who knows what we might run into over there,” AJ said, falling onto the couch behind him. “Besides… even the thought of seeing that… abomination again makes my blood simultaneously run cold and boil.”

“Alright, is anyone even there anymore?” sounded a shout from the door.

“I see Red’s still here,” AJ mumbled. “Any ideas about getting rid of him?”

“Two of his mon are still here,” Gator informed, “but both of ‘em look pretty tired. I think we could take them on.”

“Now hold on, everyone,” Burrito intervened, raising his front paws in the air. Everyone turned to him, all ears. “Don’t you think it’s time we let the boy in?” the espeon continued.

“What?” AJ exclaimed. “That’s insane --”

“Hear me out, hear me out,” Burrito interrupted. “You want to know what he’s here for, right?”

“True, but --”

“And asking others wasn’t the solution, right?”

“Yes, but --”

“And he won’t tell you if you don’t let him in, right?”

“Stop interrupting me --”

“And you hate his guts, right?”

“Burrito, seriously --”

“I know he’s proven himself to be a dangerous individual time and time again, but this time he’s clearly acting different. It seems like he’s actually attracted to you now.”

“Stop --”

“All I’m saying is - don’t you want to mess with him a little?”

“Burri-”

AJ stopped. “Or, actually...” he stroked his chin. “You are right about that.”

“I know, right?” Burrito grinned. “Finally, you listen to me.”

“So what you’re suggesting is… playing along?”

“Exactly! Play with his emotions. Break his heart.”

“Wow, Burrito, that’s… pretty evil,” AJ remarked. “I like that.”

Gator raised his hand. AJ and Burrito turned to look at him, slightly confused.

“Am I the only one who thinks this is an awful idea?” the crocodilian boomed. “Red has brought us nothing but harm since that day on Mt. Silver, and he’s clearly an unstable person. What if he catches on and goes berserk? And Burrito, you heard what he said about his ‘previous companions’, too, didn’t you?”

“Oh, so he’s a complete psycho, like that’s any kind of news,” Burrito mocked. “Don’t worry, Gator, we’ll be watching him closely the whole time. Even he expects that.”

“Yeah, Gator, don’t worry about it. I won’t let my guard down for a second,” AJ promised.

Gator exhaled deeply, rolled his eyes and stamped out of the room.

“Well then,” Burrito began, “would you do me the honor?” He gestured towards the door.

“With pleasure,” AJ replied, with a villainous tone.

He got up, walked over to the door and knocked on it.

“Who is it this time?” Red snapped. “I swear, if it’s that raunchy little rag of an espeon again-”

“It’s me, Red,” AJ answered, faking a flirtatious tone.

“...Well, it’s about time,” Red muttered. “I’ve been here for hours, waiting for you.”

“Hours? Oh, you flatter me… You know, Red, at first I wasn’t so sure about you, but now that I’ve seen your tenacity… I can’t help but admire you.”

“So you’ll let me in?”

“All in due time, Red,” AJ giggled, causing him to wince instantly after. “But right now, we are both very tired, are we not?”

“Well, I suppose that’s true...”

“You should come back tomorrow, when we’ve both rested, and I’ve had time to… get ready for you...”

AJ seductively slid down against the door. He blushed wildly. What am I even doing…

“...You promise that you’ll let me in tomorrow?” Red cautiously asked.

“Of course, honey buns...” Too far! Too far!

“Did… did you just call me ‘honey buns’?”

“O-Oh dear,” AJ stuttered, panicking. “Th-The fatigue must be making me act silly. I should really get going! And s-so should you.”

There was a brief moment of silence.

“...You’re right,” Red finally responded. “We have been waiting here for quite a long time. We do need rest.”

AJ could hear Red getting up. He let out a quiet sigh of relief.

“Wait.”

AJ held his breath. What now?

“I don’t have to wear these clothes, do I?”

AJ exhaled again. “You can wear anything you want, as long as it’s something,” he cooed.

“Good. See you tomorrow at noon.”

“Y-yeah, see ya!”

AJ heard Red walk off the doorstep. AJ moved to the window, and watched Red trudge across the cobblestone, gesture to his mon to come with - the mon looked very delighted - and disappear behind the corner.

“Oh, thank goodness, he’s finally gone,” AJ sighed, walking over to the living room and collapsing onto the couch again.

“Don’t get too comfortable yet, though. You’ll have to try twice as hard tomorrow,” Burrito reminded. He frowned. “We also really need to work on your flirting. That was atrocious.”

“Just let him rest for now,” Katie said, taking off AJ’s cap and placing it on the hat rack. “He needs to build up lots of energy for tomorrow.”

“Fair enough,” Burrito admitted, and jumped onto AJ’s chest. As AJ began to pet him, he purred softly, seeming content.

---

Last edited:
time for another update bois n gurls

--

Part 5: Playing Along

“You know, I still don’t like this,” Gator growled.

“Wow, really? I definitely couldn’t already tell by your constant griping,” Burrito muttered.

“It’s just… creepy,” Gator continued, crossing his arms. “He’s so much older than him, too.”

“Psh. Only a couple of years. Age is just a number.”

“Ok, so... ” AJ began from behind the wall. He stepped into the doorway of his bedroom, displaying his outfit. “Is this good?”

Burrito eyed AJ’s neat blue shirt, navy tie and clean gray trousers. “Eh, it’s fine,” he said, bored. “It’s not ‘wow’, but I doubt you have anything better, either.” He smirked. “As long as it comes off easily, am I right?”

AJ ignored Burrito - which made the feline somewhat upset - and instead turned to Brian.

“What do you think, Brian?”

“I don’t wear clothes. I wouldn’t know.”

“Alright, enough about clothes,” Burrito gushed. “It’s time for me to teach you how to flirt!”

“Eh… okay,” AJ sighed and sat down on the couch. Burrito sat on the table in front of him. Gator grunted something, plodded into his room and closed the door behind him.

“Alright, AJ,” Burrito began. “I want you to try to seduce me.”

“I -- what?”

“Just do it!”

“I can’t!”

“Why not?”

“You’re my friend, that’s weird! And you’re a cat!”

“And you’re being a pussy!”

AJ quieted. Burrito realized his mistake, and rushed to apologize.

”I’m sorry, AJ, that was rude,” he said quietly, looking at the ground in shame.

“No, you’re right,” AJ said. “It’s gonna be a lot weirder with Red, after all.”

“Well, um, okay.” Burrito stood back up and cleared his throat. “Let’s try again. Seduce me.”

AJ blushed. He glanced away. “So, uhh… Do you... do you come here often...”

“More confidence!”

“I really like the way you… do your fur, gorgeous?”

“More subtle!”

“Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?”

“Less cliche! And look into my eyes!”

“Would you like to go to dinner sometime?”

“Less eager! And smile!”

“Burrito, I don’t think this is going very well --”

“That’s a terrible pick up line --”

Burrito stopped. “Oh, you actually meant that.”

“Yeah… I’m not sure if you can really craft me into some suave charmer in such a short time,” AJ sighed. “If Red came here for me, shouldn’t I just be myself?”

“Whoa!” Burrito exclaimed. “Big mistake. You don’t ever want to be yourself when flirting. Unless you’re someone like me, of course.”

“Then what am I supposed to do?”

Burrito stopped to think. “Maybe if I had a way to communicate with you real time --”

“I’m not letting you use your telepathy again,” AJ interrupted. “No offense, but I’m still not fully recovered from seeing what goes on in your head.”

“Then how about an earpiece and mic?” Burrito suggested.

“Do we have those?”

“Brian bought a whole set a few weeks ago to make his streaming and channel management easier, but couldn’t get it in his ear, since, you know, he’s a bird and everything.”

“Brian, do you still have that?”

Brian humphed. “I can look.” He flew upstairs.

“I’ll tell you exactly what to do and say,” Burrito explained to AJ. “All you’ve got to do is listen to me.”

“Got it,” AJ replied.

The room fell silent. Then Burrito suddenly spoke again.

“...You know I was just messing with you back when I said he was hard, right?” he sheepishly asked.

“...Yeah,” AJ responded with some delay. “I figured so.”

“To be honest,” Burrito started, “at first, I didn’t actually think he was seriously into you. I just saw the flowers and the neat get-up and started joking around. But then he just kept going, and now... I don’t think it could even be anything else.”

AJ wanted to say something, but didn’t quite know what.

“I found it!” shouted Brian suddenly, and returned to the living room with a black cardboard box in his talons.

Then, out of the blue, the doorbell rang.

“Is that him?” AJ asked Katie, who had fluttered over to check the door.

“Yep, it’s him,” she responded.

“But it’s... ” - AJ checked the clock - “only quarter to midday! Why is he here so early?”

“It doesn’t matter now. Go answer the door, AJ,” Burrito rushed him.

“But what about the mic --”

“Just stall him. We’ll move upstairs and come get you when the mic is ready,” Brian said.

AJ got up and dashed to the hall. He opened the door.

“Hi, Red,” he greeted, trying his best to sound welcoming. “You’re here early.”

“I wanted to make sure I was on time,” Red said. He was wearing clothes that were neat, but nothing formal or too out of the ordinary. “May I come in?”

“Sure,” AJ said. Red thanked him and stepped inside. AJ couldn’t help but feel a bit defeated, even if it letting Red in was part of his plan.

Red took a few steps forward, but upon seeing Katie, he stopped.

“Katie, was it?” he asked the dragoness.

Katie gave a reserved nod. Red pulled out a folded piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to her. It appeared to be a letter.

“ATV wanted me to give this to you.”

“Well… thanks,” she said, confused. She unfolded the letter. Three words were written on it in barely understandable chicken scratch. ‘Fuk u bich’.

“How thoughtful of him,” she sarcastically mumbled.

“Well, anyway, AJ,” started Red, turning to face AJ, who was closing the door. “Shall we proceed?”

“Oh, yeah, yeah,” AJ hurriedly replied. “The living room’s right there. Go ahead and make yourself comfortable.”

Red walked over to the couch and warily sat down on one end. AJ reluctantly followed him to the living room, but didn’t yet feel quite comfortable enough himself to have a seat as well. He stopped across the table from Red and decided to stay standing there.

“Well, I should probably finally let you know why I’m here,” Red started, seeming uneasy.

“I-I already know why you’re here,” AJ rushed to clarify.

This better be worth it, Burrito, he thought.

“Really?” Red said, surprised. “H-how?”

“Uhh --”

“Did Abe tell you?”

“Mm, yeah,” AJ quickly replied. “It -- I -- he told me, yes.” Or… do I want to say that? What does he want to hear? he thought, distressed.

Red looked like he was contemplating AJ’s words rather deeply. Suddenly, he smiled with a quiet, small laugh. His eyes didn’t match his expression.

“That’s good to hear. To be honest, I didn’t want to tell you myself. You can probably guess why.”

AJ nodded and stealthily glanced at the top of the staircase, fervently wishing someone would appear there soon.

“As much as I hate to admit it, AJ, you are a pretty powerful trainer,” Red said. “And we do have a lot of... history together.”

He looked away and laughed briefly, albeit seeming a bit uncomfortable. “This is a cruel twist of fate indeed… but of all people, I’m glad it was someone I knew.”

“Yep, we sure… Yeah.” AJ really had no idea what to say.

“So, with that out of the way, let’s cut to the chase,” Red began. “If you know why I’m here, you must already know what I want us to do next. After all, I’ve been told that this isn’t even your first time.”

“W-what?”

“You’ve done it before. With Joey. That’s what your mon told me.”

“Oh, I… I actually haven’t,” AJ confessed, blushing. “They were probably just assuming.”

“Hm, I see...” Red glanced away briefly. ”So, this is your first time, then?”

“...Yeah. I guess it is.”

A moment after, AJ noticed some motion from the corner of his vision. He glanced up and saw Brian peeking his head from upstairs, discreetly gesturing AJ to come.

“Oh, um...” AJ started, looking back at Red. “You know, you came a bit early, so I didn’t have time to get completely ready. Do you mind if I...”

“Go ahead,” Red said, disinterested. AJ promptly moved to the stairs and began climbing up.

“It is your first time, after all,” Red added.

AJ winced to himself, ascending the remaining steps a bit more speedily.

-

“Can you hear me now?” Burrito asked, leaning into the microphone.

“Yeah, I think it’s working now,” AJ answered.

“Is the volume okay?” Brian asked.

“It’s fine.”

“Alright, then you should be good to go,” Brian said. “We’ll let Gator know what you’re doing through the floor hatch so that he won’t disturb you.”

AJ sighed, uncomfortable.

“What’s the problem,” Brian monotonously asked.

“Guys, I don’t know… what if they come off?”

“They’re fixed in place. And the mic is in your pocket, so it can’t even drop away. I guarantee they won’t come off, AJ,” Brian assured.

“Unless you’re talking about the pants,” Burrito quipped.

“Burrito, please, it won’t go that far,” AJ retorted nervously.

“Fine, fine, whatever. Now, get out there!” Burrito pressed AJ, trying to push him out of the room, but not having even nearly enough strength to succeed.

“We’ll come down the moment anything goes awry,” Brian assured. “And remember: the safe word is ‘wowzers’.”

AJ snorted. “Still sounds really stupid...”

“That’s why you wouldn’t say it normally, which makes it the perfect word,” Brian explained.

“I suppose so… Well, wish me luck,” AJ said.

“I’ll give the commands here, hun,” Burrito chuckled, adjusting his headset.

AJ, still looking a bit doubtful, walked backwards out of the room and closed the door.

-

“Oh, AJ. You’re back,” Red remarked, glancing at AJ, who had just descended the stairs.

“What are you doing in the kitchen?” asked AJ, confused.

“Your knives are awfully dull, you know,” Red pointed out as he was in the middle of carefully washing a large-ish kitchen knife.

“What are you doing with my knives?” AJ exclaimed, though still trying to preserve a little politeness in his voice.

“True, you wouldn’t know...” Red wiped the knife dry, put it down and turned to AJ.

“Nevermind the knife for now,” he said. “I have something to ask of you.”

AJ slightly relaxed his pose. “...What is it?”

Red lowered his voice. “You don’t mind getting dirty, do you?”

For a second, AJ looked positively appalled, but after hearing Burrito’s instructions, he tried his best to adopt a flirty approach.

“Of course not,” he cooed, thoroughly disgusted internally by his own words.

“Good.” Having said that, Red promptly took off his jacket and began to remove his shirt as well.

“Whoa, whoa. What are you doing?” AJ demanded, causing Burrito to hastily ask a slew of questions, none of which AJ reacted to.

“Well, considering what we’re about to do, this is a reasonable course of action to take... You had better follow my lead, too, unless you want some… stains.”

By now Red was shirtless, his bare chest exposed. AJ blushed. Oh boy, here we go…

He tried his best to stop himself from looking, but his curiosity won. He eyed Red’s top half up and down. He appeared to be toned, but not bulky. Some scars of varying sizes and directions ran across his torso. For a moment, AJ examined them, wondering how many of them were self-inflicted, but the healthier areas soon caught his eye again.

Oh, wow, he’s… actually kinda hot… AJ thought, but denied those words instantly after. No. Think of how he’s hurt me in the past. Think of how much I hate him. Think of Joey instead.

“You work out?” AJ blurted, causing his cheeks to turn even redder. I didn’t mean to say that! What’s wrong with you? he scolded himself, but then remembered his plan. Right. It’s good that I said that. That’s what I was supposed to say.

Recalling also Red’s words, he hurriedly removed his shirt and carelessly threw it into a corner. I guess I better keep playing him for now…

“Work out? Of course,” Red answered, folding his shirt and lightly placing it away. “I have to be strong and agile if I want to defend my faith.” He turned his head away for a moment. “Something you wouldn’t know about,” he resentfully muttered.

“Are you still in the kitchen?” Burrito whispered, snapping AJ out of the torment that was his thoughts.

“Yep,” AJ whispered, as inconspicuously as he could.

“Well, fix that,” the feline ordered.

AJ sighed with repressed frustration. “We should go to the living room,” he said, looking into Red’s eyes again, for a change.

“Whatever makes you feel comfortable,” Red replied, with a hint of irritation in his voice.

AJ ignored his guest’s poorly concealed displeasure, gave a mere passing nod and moved to the living room. He looked at the sofa, sighed again and took a seat.

He turned back to the direction of the kitchen, waiting for Red. In a moment, Red emerged from behind the wall, holding the same knife from before.

“What are you doing?” AJ snapped, assuming a defensive stance.

“Didn’t I tell you to nevermind the knife?” Red sighed. “I’m not going to use it to harm you.”

“But --”

“Just go with it,” Burrito said, interrupting AJ.

AJ groaned quietly. “Fine, then,” he said, quickly changing his tone to a more benevolent one, and forced himself to smile.

“Now,” Red continued, “do you have any... diseases I should know about?”

“Wh- no,” AJ answered, seeming offended.

“Good to hear,” Red said. “That means we won’t be needing any... protection. Which means real skin contact. The traditional way.”

“Oh, wow...” AJ could hear from his earpiece. “Well, AJ, no need to freak out. You yourself said you two wouldn’t even get to taking off your clothes,” Burrito continued.

But we’re already both shirtless… AJ thought, shivering briefly.

“Come closer,” Red abruptly said. “If this truly is your first time, I want you to get a good look at what I’m about to do.”

AJ hesitated, but got up anyway. If he makes one wrong move, I’m calling it quits, he thought. The thought of messing with him is amusing and all, but it’s not worth a knife lodged between my ribs, no matter how freaky he likes his foreplay. Or whatever he’s doing here is.

“Now,” Red started, bringing the knife up to his open right palm. AJ noticed a few similar scars across it, all perpendicular to the fingers. Is he going to…?

“Watch closely.”

Red violently pressed the knife’s edge into his skin and swiftly moved the blade down. Blood came bursting out the wound, sliding down his hand and dripping off. In pain, but in a determined manner, Red offered his bleeding hand to AJ.

“Shake my hand, AJ.”

AJ took a step back, dismayed. “I --”

“Do it,” Red ordered.

Hesitantly, AJ reached his hand towards Red’s, then finally cautiously grabbed it. AJ could feel the warm blood stick to his palm. Red firmed his grip, even though it seemed like it hurt him quite a lot. AJ decided to do the same, but only for a second before disgust loosened his hand again. They held that position for some while, staring in each other’s eyes, AJ with some degree of doubt in his gaze.

“You know...” Red ominously began.

Suddenly, quicker than AJ could even react, Red swung his left arm around AJ and pulled him closer, still holding the knife. They were close enough for their bare chests to touch the backs of their still connected hands.

“You are so close to me right now,” he continued with a blank expression, still not breaking eye contact with AJ, who was now quite alarmed.

“AJ! What’s happening?” sounded Burrito’s worried query.

I wish I knew, AJ thought, heart racing.

“It’d be so easy for me to… just...”

Red steadily raised the knife to AJ’s neck. Seeing what Red was doing, AJ tried to pull back, but Red only tightened his grasp and leaned even closer.

“...slit your throat.”

An unsettling smile crept across Red’s mouth. He touched the side of AJ’s neck with the blade. AJ could feel the cold steel and the wet blood press against his skin. He couldn’t move.

”To see your tainted blood come pouring out,” Red continued, slowly. He seemed to enjoy every word he spoke. “To watch as it runs down your neck. To witness that animalistic fear in your eyes as you realize your death is only moments away. To hear your very last breath. To drop your lifeless body onto the floor.”

“AJ, what is he doing?” Burrito hissed from the other end of the line.

Don’t rush in, please don’t rush in, AJ repeated in his mind.

“But I’m not here for that. Not today.” Red’s smile faded. He moved just a bit away. AJ felt a wave of relief flow across his body.

Red lowered the knife and placed it away on the table. “Look at you,” he chuckled. “So startled… You’re like a frightened little pichu.”

He gently placed his left hand on AJ’s cheek.

“That’s the face I want to see you make when I kill you,” he whispered.

Then, without a warning, Red let AJ go. AJ immediately jerked back, cherishing his regained freedom.

“A-are we done with the knives?” AJ stuttered with a bit of a nervous laugh.

“We are done with the knives,” Red answered, in a somewhat patronizing tone, as if he was talking to a child. “Anyway, I should probably go take care of this.” He pointed to his wound. “Oh, and sorry about your rug,” he added, heading for the kitchen.

AJ glanced at the rug, and saw some dark red stains in front of him. So that’s what he meant… He knitted his brow. Ugh, that’s not gonna come off easily…

“I suggest you wash your hands as well,” sounded a shout from the kitchen.

AJ looked at his palm and the vividly colored blood smeared all over it.

“I was just going to… anyway...” he muttered, and traipsed into the bathroom, confused, heart still thumping restlessly.

-

“What did he do? Are you alright?” asked Burrito, worried, as AJ locked the door.

“Yeah, I’m alright...” AJ sighed as he opened the faucet and put his hands in the water, beginning to scrub the red smudges off. “But I think I just took part in some kind of... ritual. He seems to believe that I actually know something about that… culture of his.”

AJ picked up the soap, but froze for a second, realizing something. “Wait a second,” he started. “He said something about you guys telling him about me… and Joey… and first times?”

“Well, um… it’s less like we actually said anything to him, and more like he just kind of… jumped to conclusions.”

“What do you mean?”

“Katie told him you were taken by Joey, and he sort of misinterpreted that.”

“Huh.”

“But enough of that,” Burrito said, clearing his throat. “I have some critique to give about your performance out there.”

“Oh, come on,” AJ groaned, closing the faucet and starting to dry his hands. “I was a bit too busy trying to stay alert and safe out there. He’s pretty unpredictable, you know. I mean, you heard how he spoke to me. First he takes off his shirt like it’s nothing, then the next thing I know, he’s serenading me about how he wants to mutilate my --”

“He took off his shirt?” Burrito repeated.

“Yeah.”

“Was he swole?”

“Burrito!” AJ hissed disapprovingly. “But… yeah, somewhat,” he quietly admitted after.

“I knew it. Pay up, Brian,” Burrito said, lowering his mic.

“You’re lying,” Brian grunted in the distance. “That freak never leaves his house. I’ve never seen him outside in any posts, and I follow everyone he knows.”

“Well, anyway,” Burrito continued, raising his mic again, “I suppose your awful act is partly my fault, since I didn’t get to instruct you very efficiently.”

“Told you we should have added a camera,” Brian muttered.

“And put it where? Up his ass?” Burrito snarked. “At least we’d get front row seats to the action, then.”

“Burrito!” AJ intervened.

“Nevermind that, hun,” Burrito meowed. “How about, when I need to know something, I ask you some yes-or-no questions, and you answer by tapping your pocket?”

“Sounds plausible.”

“One tap means yes, two taps means no, okay?”

“Got it.”

“And, AJ?”

“Yeah, Burrito?” AJ sighed, turning to face the door.

“Really put your heart into it this time.”

“Mhm.”

“No mercy.”

AJ unlocked the door. This is it…

“No mercy,” he repeated, and twisted the door handle.

---

Last edited:
---

Part 6: It Ends [FINALE]

AJ made his way back to the living room. Red wasn’t there, but there were still some noises coming from the kitchen. AJ sat down on the couch.

“Where are you now?” Burrito asked.

AJ groaned under his breath, then hesitantly leaned towards his lap.

“That’s not a yes-or-no question,” he hissed quietly.

“I can’t hear you. Get closer to the mic.”

AJ reluctantly leaned further. “I can’t, it’s gonna look... weird,” he growled, still keeping his voice down.

“No one’s around to see it. Now, where are you?”

“I’m at the couch, but --”

“Did you say something?” AJ heard Red suddenly ask.

“Oh, um --” AJ immediately sprung back up and saw Red standing in front of him, still without his shirt. “No, I’m just… talking to myself,” AJ explained, beginning to blush. “I do that sometimes.”

“Oh,” Red replied. “I don’t,” he added some seconds later.

“...Okay,” AJ said nervously. Red shrugged slightly and walked back into the kitchen.

“Right, sorry about that, AJ,” Burrito apologized. “I’ll ask only yes-or-no questions from this point on, alright?”

AJ sighed and tapped his pocket once.

“Good,” the espeon said. “Now, I want you to adopt a flirty pose.”

What is a ‘flirty pose’? AJ thought, beginning to grow frustrated.

“Oh, true, you probably don’t know what I mean by that...” Burrito remarked. “Just cross your legs and act coy. But, for the love of love itself, be subtle about it.”

AJ did as instructed. Boy, this sure is uncomfortable... he thought, but tried his best not to show it.

In few a moments, the noises from the kitchen ceased and Red appeared from behind the wall again. “So, AJ,” Red started sluggishly. “I don’t know how much Abe told you, so I should probably let you know the... details.”

“Alright, AJ, this is your chance to take the initiative,” Burrito gushed. “Get up. Smoothly. And do exactly as I say.”

AJ listened to the rest of Burrito’s instructions, and got up. “Oh, I think I already understand just what it is you want,” AJ cooed, somewhat forcefully, but still took pride in how much of his disgust he was able to suppress in the first place.

“...Well, nevertheless,” Red continued, “you may actually have heard something about this situation from Alice before. And while I certainly do not like her, we seem to have a common interest in mind...”

As Red was talking, AJ slowly made his way closer and closer, as Burrito had told him to do.
“I also have only one thing in mind right now,” AJ said after Red had finished. But… wait, AJ suddenly thought to himself. What was he about to say just now --

“You do?” Red asked, seeming confused, at the same time interrupting AJ’s thoughts. “I didn’t think you would have concerned yourself with this, seeing how you normally try to avoid having dealings with me...”

AJ stepped even closer. He was now so close to Red that their bare chests could almost touch. AJ half expected Red to step back, but it seemed that Red was rather unfazed by his unusually close proximity. Seems that he doesn’t mind his personal space being invaded…

“I certainly do,” AJ said quietly, trying to mimic the tone in which Burrito had uttered the words to him. “And that one thing is...” AJ paused to lay his hand onto Red’s hip. Red looked surprised, but strangely, didn’t express any other emotion.

“You,” AJ whispered.

“What about me?” Red asked calmly.

All of you,” AJ exhaled.
Red looked disoriented. He stayed silent for quite a while, staring at AJ the whole time, not even blinking.

“Ugh, what is wrong with that boy?” Burrito groaned. “Doesn’t he understand what that means?”

Suddenly, Red chuckled briefly.

“If I can request such a thing,” he said, smiling, “I want all of you, too. No holding back.”

There we go! Finally!” Burrito shouted.

“But...” Red continued, discarding his smile, “wouldn’t this all be a bit more comfortable to do on the couch?”

“Now that’s what I like to hear,” Burrito said, delighted. “Alright, let’s get back to it. AJ, say ‘of course’ and have a seat.”

“Of course,” AJ said, letting go of Red and moving back onto the couch. Red followed, and sat on the other end.

“Did he sit next to you?” Burrito asked.

AJ tapped his pocket twice. Red glanced at him with a questioning look, causing AJ’s heart to skip a beat. Did… did he see me just now? AJ thought nervously.

“You gotta get closer to him,” Burrito said. “Try moving right next to him. He didn’t seem to mind you getting closer before.”

AJ did as he was told. Red didn’t react to him. It looked like he was deep in thought. In a while, however, he snapped himself out of it and turned to AJ again.

“Anyway, as I was saying,” Red started, “you probably know the gist of all this, but we should really discuss this issue further.”

“You want to go deeper, don’t you?” AJ murmured as Burrito had just instructed.

“Yes, I do,” Red replied. “And I’d like to begin with the length.”

Burrito whispered something. I’m not saying that, AJ thought, indignant.

“The length of what?” AJ asked, this time on his own.

“Our... agreement,” Red clarified. “Realistically, I don’t expect to have my needs satisfied in a very short time. This may end up having to be quite long-term.”

“Long-term?” AJ repeated, again on his own. “A long-term relationship?”

“Hey! Quit improvising! This isn’t how we agreed to do this!” Burrito hissed. AJ rebelliously tapped his pocket twice.

“I suppose you could call it that, yes,” Red said. “It will have to be pretty close, too. Your, uh, acquaintance might not like that, but, to be honest, his displeasure is not something I concern myself very much with. No offense.”

Does he not know Joey is my boyfriend, or is he just deliberately avoiding that word? AJ pondered.

“AJ, come on,” Burrito whined. “You’ll never get to the fun part without me! Just do as I say!”

AJ exhaled deeply and quickly tapped his pocket once.

“Thank you,” Burrito sighed, relieved. “Now, I want you to say the following...”

“I’m sure we can work something out,” AJ said, now under Burrito’s command once more.

“That’s good to hear,” Red said, though it didn’t seem like he cared enough to mean it. He looked as if he was in the middle of thinking of something else instead.

AJ nodded, not knowing what else to do. A moment of awkward silence followed.

“AJ...” Red unexpectedly started. His tone was strangely smoother than before.

“Yes?”

Red smirked. “Come closer,” he said quietly.

AJ moved the last few inches between them across the couch. “What is it?” he asked.

“It’s not much,” Red answered, “I just want to...”

Suddenly, without warning, Red pushed AJ back. AJ fell on his back onto the couch, alarmed and perplexed by what was happening. Red promptly pounced on him and pinned him down.

“...see something,” Red gently continued, now on top of AJ. AJ could feel the warmth of Red’s breath on his neck.

“What’s going on? Are you okay?” Burrito asked, but AJ was unable to answer.

Red kept smiling smugly and put his hand on AJ’s chest. AJ recoiled from his touch.
What is he doing? He wasn’t anything like this just a minute ago! AJ thought. Did I succeed? did I ‘seduce’ him?

Red began moving his hand down across AJ’s skin. AJ shuddered.

Don’t go any lower or I swear to --

Red didn’t show any signs of stopping. AJ could feel Red’s hand sliding across his abdomen, all the way down to his hip.

W-wait, don’t --

Swiftly and unexpectedly, Red buried his hand in AJ’s pocket. AJ felt the microphone being pressed against him.

“I knew it,” Red purred.

“AJ, what was that noise just now? What’s going on? AJ!” Burrito panicked.

Suddenly, the front door opened.

Oh no.

“Hi, AJ!” sounded a familiar cheerful shout from the hall. “Sorry that I’m back so early, but something unexpected happe-”

The voice stopped. Red moved to AJ’s side to see what was going, allowing AJ to get a clear look as well.

In the doorframe, there stood a short boy wearing shorts, utterly devastated by what he was seeing.

“Wh-what’s going on?” he exclaimed. “AJ, what is this?”

What do I do? What do I do? AJ thought, blushing thoroughly. Then he remembered. The safe word!

“W-wowzers!” AJ blurted at the top of his lungs. Soon, tapping and rumbling could be heard from upstairs, and shortly after Burrito and Brian appeared at the top of the stairs.

“O-oh dear...” Burrito whimpered after he saw the scene, covering his mouth with his paw. Brian, however, was staring at the red stain in the carpet, sighing heavily, as he knew he was in charge of cleaning that week.

“Oh, hello,” Red calmly greeted, still on top of AJ. “Joe, was it?”

“I-it’s Joey,” the boy stuttered. “B-but what are you two-”

“Joey! It’s not what it looks like!” AJ shouted. “We’re just -- this is a --”

The door to Gator’s room was slammed open, revealing an angry Gator.

“What is all this yelling about --” he started, but paused to get a better look at the room and everyone in it. Finally, he turned to Burrito’s direction.

“Burrito, what the hell?” he roared. “Are you this desperate?”

I didn’t take their shirts off,” Burrito hissed back. “Besides, we were just -- we were just --”

“That is a good question. What were you doing?” Red asked in a serious, scolding tone.

“Oh, piss off, Red! It’s not like you’re the victim here!” AJ snapped, pushing Red off him and shuffling over to the other end of the couch.

“Victim?” Red exclaimed. “I’ve come here to make peace, and for the longest time, you only rejected my efforts!”

“For goodness’ sake, Red, I’m not into you!” AJ shouted.

“Wh-what?” Red replied, seeming genuinely baffled. “What are you even talking about?”
“You! You come here with flowers! You dress yourself up all nice for me! You say you need me!” AJ rushed.

“I was just trying to be nice!” Red shouted.

“But... the flowers…” Katie, who had apparently arrived during the commotion as well, interrupted from the hall. Oh, great. Everyone’s here. Hooray, AJ thought, rolling his eyes.

“...they were ridgeblues!” Katie continued. “You’d have to risk your life to get those!”

“Those little weeds?” Red scoffed. “I’ve been growing my own ridgeblues for years! I use them for my incense! I just gave you what was left over. And as for ‘needing’ you, AJ...”

Red turned to AJ. “I do need you,” he said. “I need your help. Abe didn’t really even tell you why I’m here, did he?”

“N-no,” AJ hesitantly admitted.

“Well, that figures...” Red sighed. “You really have no idea what I came here for.”

“Well, it’s not my fault!” AJ retorted. “You’ve been so vague all this time! You could have just told me on the first day!”

“I couldn’t! You wouldn’t let me in!”

“You don’t need to come in to tell me something like that,” AJ hissed.
“Do you think I would come to you for help just like that, AJ?” Red shouted. “Besides, I’ve been trying to tell you since I got inside, but you kept interrupting me! What did you think I was doing this whole time?”

“Well… well, I...”

AJ paused to take a deep breath. Might as well just come out and say it.

“I thought… you were in love with me.”

“You thought…?”

Red looked at AJ as if he’d seen a ghost. Then, slowly, he smiled. Then he began to chuckle. His laugh gradually grew louder and louder. Then, after a while, he was howling with laughter, sounding more like some kind of crazed mightyena than an actual human being. AJ looked down in shame, utterly defeated.

“Did -- did you honestly --” Red tried, but couldn’t stop laughing. “Y-you and me? Really?”
AJ buried his face into his palms, but he still couldn’t hide the intense red hue it had obtained from the sheer amount of humiliation he felt.

However, he still bolted up briefly to snap at Burrito. “Burrito, this is all your fault, you horny bastard!”

“Hey, it takes two to tango, hun!” Burrito countered. Brian gave the feline a look of disapproval.

“AJ, listen to me,” Red said, finally able to restrain his laughter. “I hate you. I really hate you. Nothing will ever change that.”

Red sighed. “And, AJ, I am a priest. I am celibate. I couldn’t go fooling around if I wanted to. I thought you knew this.”

“Alright, alright, I’m an idiot, I get it,” AJ muttered. “But what did you come here for, then?”

Red assumed a more serious expression. He looked away.

“I need your help to defeat Evan,” he mumbled.

“Evan?” AJ asked. “The glitchy kid?”

“Yes,” Red admitted. “I’ve tried everything, but nothing works against him. All my efforts have failed. No one else has been able to help me.”

“So… when you spoke about an agreement, you actually meant… an agreement.”

“Of course. What else would I mean by that?”

Red paused to think. Then he snorted. “A relationship? AJ, seriously...”

“Blame the cat,” AJ muttered. “This was his idea.”

“Of course it was...”

Red gave the pink feline, who had already snuck down the stairs, a contemptuous glare. Burrito humphed and looked away. “Just wanted to have some fun...” he grumbled.

“Is my mic okay?” Brian shouted, still on top of the stairs.

“Abba, what -- what are you doing here?” Red asked, looking puzzled.

“I’m… not Abba. I’m Brian,” the bird cautiously corrected.

“Oh, my apologies. I can never seem to tell the two of you apart.”

Brian said nothing. He merely stared at Red with a vicious look in his eyes.

“I, uhh, I’m still a bit confused,” Joey warily started. “What is going on here exactly?”

Gator grunted. “It’s a long story. But AJ’s not cheating on you, if that’s what you’re worried about,” he explained.

“Oh, alright, if you say so...”

AJ suddenly remembered that both he and Red were still shirtless. He blushed, got up and hurriedly went to pick up his shirt from the corner. He put it back on, and glanced at Red, who hadn’t moved an inch.

“You know, you should probably put on some clothes yourself,” AJ criticized.

“Fine, if it makes you that uncomfortable,” Red muttered.

AJ looked at Joey, and to his dismay, saw that Red had now caught the boy’s eye as well.

Katie fluttered over to the boy and subtly pointed to AJ. “Your boyfriend’s over there,” she whispered.

Joey blushed and looked towards AJ again, sheepishly grinning. AJ sighed. Burrito snickered.

After Red had fetched his clothes and put them back on, he turned to AJ.

“What do you want now?” AJ groaned after he had noticed Red’s questioning look.

“I never got my answer,” Red said. “Will you help me deal with Evan or not?”

“If it gets you to leave faster, sure,” AJ snapped.

“I’m serious, AJ.”

“Fine. I, AJ Downey, will help you, Red Akai, with your thing. Now, will you please leave my house.”

“Thank you,” Red sighed, relieved. “Although that handshake we did earlier was binding, so you wouldn’t have had much of a choice now, anyway,” he passingly added. “I’ll just be on my way, then. I’ll contact you again sometime soon. Goodbye.”

He headed for the front door, but was stopped by Brian.

“Wait,” the bird started.

“What is it now?” both Red and AJ groaned. They exchanged a quick, awkward look right after.

“You said that coming to AJ was your last straw,” Brian said. “But… what do we get out of it?”

“You get to live another day,” Red growled under his breath.

“Hold on, he’s got a point,” AJ intervened. “If I’m going to do something for you, you have to do something for me, too.”

Red exhaled deeply. “What do you want,” he asked monotonously.

“Well...” AJ stopped to think. “...After we succeed, you have to leave me and my friends alone.”

“For good?” Red exclaimed. “You know I can’t do that!”

“I guess we don’t have a deal, then...”

“W-wait!” Red interrupted. “F-fine. I’ll leave you alone.”

“You promise?”

“I… p-promise.”

Red tried to force a smile on his face to seem trustworthy, but just ended up looking like a cornered wild mon, seconds from attacking whomever he was threatened by.

“Ugh, it doesn’t matter what you do, AJ, he’s never going to give up trying to butcher you,” Gator sighed. “Just give him a finite time frame and he’ll be off.”

“Alright,” AJ replied. “Red, make that only a year.”

Red looked relieved. “I think I can handle that. Thank you.”

He opened the front door and slipped out. AJ and Brian moved to the window to watch him leave, while the others settled down in the living room, preparing to explain the whole ordeal in detail to the still confused Joey.

“What a weirdo,” AJ muttered as they followed the departing Red with their gazes. Brian nodded.

They waited for Red to reach the street. It was silent between them, until Brian suddenly spoke again.

“AJ?” he asked.

“What is it, Brian?”

“If, at the end of the day, he wasn’t actually into you...”

“...Yeah?”

“Then... who was he talking about with Paul?”

AJ chuckled, sounding tired. “I don’t know,” he answered. “But I don’t care, either. Besides, Paul was probably just making that up. We were two strangers that attacked him out of nowhere, after all. Couldn't really blame him for lying.”

“Yeah, I guess...”

When Red finally left their sight, Gator joined the two.

“Glad that freak is gone,” he humphed. “I was worried I might have to drag him outta the house.”

“So... did Joey understand, or...” AJ asked shyly.

“It’s still a work in progress, but at least he’s got no hard feelings towards you anymore.”

“Well, that’s good to hear. Red’s been enough trouble already. I don’t need him to interfere with any more of my relationships.”

“But you gotta admit, he was pretty hot,” meowed Burrito, whom the three had not noticed arriving.

“Burrito!” AJ snapped, but was too exhausted to stay mad at the feline for long. “Ugh, forget it,” he groaned. “Come here, you little slut.”

AJ swiped the espeon up onto his arms and began to pet him.

“This window is boring. Let’s go watch some TV,” Burrito said between his purrs.

“Sure, why not,” AJ replied, and the gang made their way back into the living room.

---

END

---

And that was Dear Nemesis, everyone. I hope it was enjoyable despite its rather obscure and most likely unfamiliar background material. I remember having a lot of fun writing it myself.

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on the story and writing - did it make you laugh, did it make you cry (...why would it)? Was the prose readable? Any and all critique is accepted, not that I'm not grateful for what I've already received.

I'm also maybe thinking of putting up some more of my work, namely another TPP fic by the name of Agape. Agape and the fics following it are rather different from Dear Nemesis tone-wise and have more effort and editing gone to them than this lighthearted fic did, so critique and thoughts on them would be valuable. Though Agape does have links to a certain (comedic?) comic series I've done... I'd have to find a way to summarize it or at least gather the pages all in one post somewhere else for easier browsing.

For now, though, thanks for reading and see you next time!

Last edited:
Hello again. Finally found time to catch up on all the chapters (for future stories, I would suggest pacing the chapters out over a few weeks so there is more of a chance for people to read and review).

I wasn't sure where this was going to go after the first chapter, but I certainly didn't expect how it ended up. We don't offer have comedies here, so it was great to see one here, especially one that was as sharply written and entertaining as this was. The comedy of errors nature to it worked perfectly, and even though I guessed that Red wouldn't turn out to be gay, I still enjoyed the misdirections and misinterpreted lines. A lot of people when trying something like that would stuff up or really stretch the imagination with it, but I think you had a pretty firm grasp on what you were doing and where the story was going.

Most of the things I said in my first review carry over here. Your dialogue is excellent, and each character is able to be distinguished and stand out on their own. It was quite dialogue heavy at times, so much so that in a way you could zip through the chapters without much effort. That's a good thing for dialogue, but it can be at the detriment to the story. Description may not have been necessary for a story like this to be good, but the lack of it means that the mind can wander a bit when skirting between so many lines. At the moment, the story is a lot closer to a script than a novel with how dialogue-strong it is, and a lot of the actions are more just what is happening in the scene as opposed to painting a picture of the world.

The scene with Paul is the best example of this. Brian and AJ are suddenly in a house, but who's house is it? What does it look like? There are bushes there, but it all feels quite random when AJ jumps out. Similarly, there is a river near the house in one chapter, which only raises questions of what the rest of the neighbourhood looks like. You are very good at painting characters through their dialogue - D, for example, you portrayed in a way that I could imagine what sort of person he is - but the lack of the finer details can take away from enhancing the story. We don't really know what D looks like, for example, nor what his salon is like. Jumping straight into things is fine, but taking time to add a few lines before the dialogue and action begins really adds to everything and makes for a better story. Yes, less is more as you said, but as a fellow author here said recently, nothing at all is nothing at all. A lot of this can be solved by moving the stuff you mention pre-chapter into the actual chapter. When you think of most novels, the majority tend not to state who people are beforehand the chapters - some have cast lists, but people still get introduced properly in the context of the story. Introducing D and Paul and anyone in the story-proper gives you the opportunity to describe and flesh out the world beyond a quick run down of who they were in the games - we don't care about who they were, we want to know who they are now.

That may sound like a lot of negatives, but that's mostly just because all the positive things you are doing very well: the characters are all unique and you have an amazing grasp on dialogue. If you can replicate those elements, and the subtle humour of this story, in future stories and add in more world building, you'll be well on your way to being a top writer!

Thanks for the critique! I think I understand the description critique a bit better now, having gotten more context, and I think I know what causes this for me. It's probably the result of me being a comic strip artist, and a bit of a lazy one at that. I don't often put a lot of thought into the background since in strips the background is really only necessary if it interacts with the cast or establishes a new setting.
I will of course take this into consideration in writing though, as different mediums have different rules and one being more lenient on something doesn't excuse sloppiness in it in the other.
And I do think I should describe character looks a bit more too, since not everyone's seen my art of the characters, and even then it would really help make it a bit more real, like you've said.
I'll also spread out my newer fic on a longer time frame, as the updates on this one were pretty close to one another. And I want to try to implement some of this critique into it, too.

Awards review time!

‘Dear Nemesis’ has a rather simplistic premise which in some areas is dealt with very well, and others which could benefit with a lot of change. As a comedy, it had some funny moments, but the humour mostly wasn’t my cup of tea (although there are probably some people who would enjoy it a lot more than me.) The story was being handled within its characters and their interactions, or at least those of the main characters; both Red and AJ feel like their own people, interesting and vivid. As well as being entertaining, I think you have a general knack for writing dialogue well and should perhaps shift your focus to make this a more important aspect of the story.

However, one of the stories’ shortfalls is the amount of characters you seem to want to add in a short space of time, in a story with a rather narrow and strict focus; these semi-extraneous characters make the story drag a bit, I would say if you wanted to keep the story a bit simpler, reduce the amount of these characters.

Another thing I would add is that the plot becomes a bit repetitive within the second, third and fourth chapters. With Red coming to AJ, there are some awkward moments and then it’s awkward. I feel that Chapter 4 specifically was a bit long and seemed to meander a bit in places, splitting up or editing the end of the chapter might help the story flow better in general.

I didn’t mind the ending, although the twist was generally expected you had a reasonable amount of build up to the finale, but I still think there was grounds for some more interesting plot developments, you still should have included something that might have shocked the audience or something they wouldn’t have expected.

A final issue I have with the story is that it’s not very good at worldbuilding, especially if you aren’t familiar with ‘Twitch plays Pokemon’ for instance, the story expects you to already know information such as Red being a Priest, which comes somewhat out of nowhere if you aren’t familiar with the universe already. The description itself is also generally lacking and could do with embellishing so the reader can get invested in the story more easily.

Although the prose of the story itself is actually rather good and there aren’t many spelling errors that I noticed but the way the story is formatted is a massive distraction itself, making the story annoying to read, which is a shame because the writing is good other than the formatting issue.

The fic itself is decent, it does what is expected of it and the standard plot structure is clear, but I personally feel like it needs a lot of work, especially when it comes to having a technical clean up. I would also alter the roles of some of the side characters, or consider if you need all of them fulfilling similar roles to one another. Although my general enjoyment of the fic may have been altered by the fact it’s not of my comedic taste, it doesn’t dismiss the fact that it needs alterations.

Thanks, @Ghostsoul, for the review, and thanks for reminding me about the formatting, I've been meaning to get to fixing that.

Awards thoughts!

Dear Nemesis
Plot:

• AJ is just sitting at home, minding his own business, when his old murderous rival Red shows up unannounced. This sets off a rather short tale that focuses on investigation, confusion and deceit. What does Red want? Really, really want?
  • A little hole I noticed with AJ trying to visit Goldenrod while Red and his three Pokemon were sitting on the front lawn: It's kind of unlikely that someone could escape undetected with four people on alert. However, it doesn't really detract from what is essentially a silly story that kind of requires a slight suspension of belief in the first place.
Setting:
  • I couldn't really tell where anything was, specifically. Route 27 was mentioned, so I'm going to assume that this story is set in Newbark Town for the most part, except for the brief scenes in Pallet, Goldenrod and where ever Paul's scene took place.
Characterization:
  • Pretty good. All of the characters stand out from each other in their own unique and interesting ways. None of them are a bore to read.
  • If I had to pick a favorite, it'd probably be Gator. He's cocky and confident, but he has a good reason to be: he's a freakin' Feraligator!
Style:
  • The near-absence of proper description really held this story back in my opinion. My mind didn't really paint vivid imagery as I was reading, which made it more difficult to get immersed and invested. That said, the description isn't totally absent, and where it's not, I found it easier to see what's going on and why.
  • That said, the dialogue is great. A master stroke.
Technical:
(note: this is probably my weakest section as a judge, since I so very often miss easy to spot errors in spelling/wording, bear with me please)
  • This might just be a personal gripe, but I found the story unreadable until I double spaced it myself. Having all of that text smooshed together without any breathing space made all of the words fade together and I found it difficult to keep track of how the story was progressing. Seems like you're aware of this issue, which is great!
  • Outside of that, this is very, very well put together! There's a few minor errors here and there ("Some second passed with both remaining immobile"), but very few and far between.
  • One little thing that had me confused at first was AJ's texting to Abe, "that’s not importa". Since he doesn't capitalize anything or use punctuation, I first assumed that "importa" was a brand of makeup, since it sounds like it could be. It could be shortened to "impor" which would get the idea across without sounding like some fancy brand of cosmetics. Just a personal little thing for me, though, probably not important. *snicker*
Other thoughts
  • I went into this with a very skeptical mind. This story combines three things I generally can't stand: shipping being a main focus, TPP in general and Pokemon that talk like humans. But I couldn't stop myself! It was intriguing, it was easy to follow and it was hilarious! A very fun romp to read and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom