• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you find some Pokemon not learning/learning some move illogical?

Mareepy

Psycho Tsutarja fans
Reaction score
As the title above, please don't post something like "A Pokemon must learn some move just because it should", post only when it is logical for a Pokemon should learn that move or not.

Example:
Mow Rotom is a Lawn Mover, and it learns Leaf Storm which have nothing to do with grass, is should have learned Grass Mixer.

Rhyperior is 4* weakness to water, and yet it can Surf (I am thinking that it is painful when it is surfing).

Ampharos, with it's name デンリュウ which means 'Electric Dragon' have nothing to do with the Dragon Egg Group and can't learn any Dragon Move. It's original design is from a sheep + a plasiosaurus, a water-living dinosaur with flippers. Yet a water-living dinosaur can't learn Surf?

Post your opinion and also other Pokemon learning or not learning moves that make you feel illogical. State your reason please!

Note: Mew and Arceus is made to learn most moves with the reason of being the Ancestor and Creator of Pokemon, please do not count them in.

Last edited:
One could think it's illogical that every Psychic type doesn't have Levitate as an ability, but it's kind of ambiguous what powers different Psychic Pokemon actually have. And for the sake of balance, it's acceptable.

Ampharos, with it's name デンリュウ which means 'Electric Dragon'
"Denki" is electricity and "Ryuu" is dragon, but that's the least probable etymology for it among the three Bulbapedia offers, taking the said appearance into account. Nothing illogical there as Denryuu already means electric current on its own.

Also there are a lot of examples of such movepool entries but can't be bothered to specifically search out for them (nothing comes to my mind immediately anyway).

Ampharos, with it's name デンリュウ which means 'Electric Dragon'
"Denki" is electricity and "Ryuu" is dragon, but that's the least probable etymology for it among the three Bulbapedia offers, taking the said appearance into account. Nothing illogical there as Denryuu already means electric current on its own.

Also there are a lot of examples of such movepool entries but can't be bothered to specifically search out for them (nothing comes to my mind immediately anyway).

But as a Ryuu (Dragon), it can't learn any Dragon typed move as Milotic and Gyrados who look like a Dragon gets Dragon Pulse and Outrage respectively. (And they get the Dragon Egg Group)

And same readings can mean multiple things. You can already see it is clearly not based on a dragon so interpreting it as a electric dragon rather than more logically either electric currency or a corruption of electric bulb is just pointless.

It's illogical that Typhlosion can't get Earth Power (he's themed with volcanic explosions), Torkoal and Magmortar can't get Scald (though it makes more sense than the former since he's a hot springs tortoise), and Blastoise, Lapras, and Torterra can't get Shell Smash. Also, Ampharos does learn a Dragon move: Outrage.

It's illogical that Typhlosion can't get Earth Power (he's themed with volcanic explosions), Torkoal and Magmortar can't get Scald (though it makes more sense than the former since he's a hot springs tortoise), and Blastoise, Lapras, and Torterra can't get Shell Smash. Also, Ampharos does learn a Dragon move: Outrage.

Good one, and thanks for reminding me Outrage. :)

Serperior and Samurott can not learn Earthquake, which is odd because pokemon of their size who are fully evolved often can learn it, every other starter can.

How can Hippowdown learn Ice Fang, Fire Fang, and Thunder Fang when it is NONE of those types?

I was actually going to make a huge list of these, but then I forgot what Pokémon I was going to mention. Probably something that miraculously knows Thunder Bolt when it shouldn't.

How can Hippowdown learn Ice Fang, Fire Fang, and Thunder Fang when it is NONE of those types?

I was actually going to make a huge list of these, but then I forgot what Pokémon I was going to mention. Probably something that miraculously knows Thunder Bolt when it shouldn't.
Umm, it's definitely not weird for Pokemon to learn moves that aren't of their type.

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot can't learn peck, da?

What. ._.

And who could forget the fact that the Pidove line can't even learn Wing Attack despite Ash's using the move in the anime, which brings back the days where Lance's Aerodactyl learns Rock Slide illegally.

Umm, it's definitely not weird for Pokemon to learn moves that aren't of their type.
No, but it is weird when the Pokémon in question has absolutely no traits that would give it such an ability. Like Gyarados isn't even part Ice type, but it can learn Ice Fang, but it's fine since it's Water Type, so it kind of makes sense. But what qualities does Hippowdown have that lets it learn all three of those movies? Unless I missed a detail, I'd say none.

Last edited:
No, but it is weird when the Pokémon in question has absolutely no traits that would give it such an ability. Like Gyarados isn't even part Ice type, but it can learn Ice Fang, but it's fine since it's Water Type, so it kind of makes sense. But what qualities does Hippowdown have that lets it learn all three of those movies? Unless I missed a detail, I'd say none.
It has a mouth, and fangs, I guess.

Gastly with the Elemental punches. yes. i breed them on to a gastly 'cause it was just to hilarious to pass up.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom