• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you find some Pokemon not learning/learning some move illogical?

One Pokemon sticks out in my mind: Octillery.

It can be taught so many different types of attacks, including Flamethrower of all moves, that you'd almost wonder what GameFreak thought was so special about it.

Umm, it's definitely not weird for Pokemon to learn moves that aren't of their type.
No, but it is weird when the Pokémon in question has absolutely no traits that would give it such an ability. Like Gyarados isn't even part Ice type, but it can learn Ice Fang, but it's fine since it's Water Type, so it kind of makes sense. But what qualities does Hippowdown have that lets it learn all three of those movies? Unless I missed a detail, I'd say none.

The reason moves like the Elemental Fangs exist is so that Pokemon who wouldn't normally learn moves of those types can have them for coverage if they have the right physical traits- in this case, Hippowdon has the teeth for it, so it can learn those.

There were a bunch of these in Gen I, such as Lickitung not being able to learn Lick in R/B. And of course, we all know that Charizard couldn't learn Fly in R/B unless you transferred it to G/S/C and taught it Fly there.

Also, why can't the Pidove line learn Wing Attack?

Wooper learns Ice Punch, and it doesnt have hands
Togekiss learns rock smash "The user attacks with a punch that can shatter a rock."
Togekiss also can learn peck, despite the fact it obviously doesnt have a beak
Togekiss also can learn Drain punch and Focus punch
Also the only bug types that can learn fly are Volcarona(even though it has wings,it isnt a flying type) and Genesect, who doesnt even have wings!
Pokemon:There's logic for ya.

Latias not being able to use Transform. Either the anime is stupid, or the games. -.-

Latias' Sapphire Pokédex entry reads "Latias is highly intelligent and capable of understanding human speech. It is covered with a glass-like down. The Pokémon enfolds its body with its down and refracts light to alter its appearance" so I'd assume the anime is just focusing on that ability and it's a case of Gameplay and Story Segregation in the games.

One Pokemon sticks out in my mind: Octillery.

It can be taught so many different types of attacks, including Flamethrower of all moves, that you'd almost wonder what GameFreak thought was so special about it.

Octillery's design is based off a cannon, which explains the large variety of moves.

Zangoose cannot learn cut. I mean seriously, it has HUGE claws, but it's unable to hack down small trees?

Now that one is just stupid...

There were a bunch of these in Gen I, such as Lickitung not being able to learn Lick in R/B. And of course, we all know that Charizard couldn't learn Fly in R/B unless you transferred it to G/S/C and taught it Fly there.

They can learn Fly in Yellow too.

"Due to an error in Yellow, Kabuto can learn every move Kabutops learns by TM, with the only exception being Cut. Coincidentally, this matches Kabutops's TM move list in Red and Blue. It cannot learn these moves by any other means in later games other than its evolutionary form.

In the Generation III games, Kabuto can learn Aerial Ace from TM40, but can't learn in later generations with the same TM.

Kabuto and Kabutops learn Hydro Pump by level-up in Generation I. However, they are no longer able to learn this move by any means.

Kabuto and its evolved form are the only non-Steel-type Pokémon able to learn Metal Sound via leveling up."

All of this is illogical, even though most of the moves are corrected in later generations.

Last edited:
Yes, what Iteru said. The differences between the meanings of the English attack names and the original Japanese names are what's making you guys scratch your heads.

I always wondered why some Pokemon who learn Bite can't also learn Crunch. I mean, isn't Crunch like a more powerful Bite?

Magicarp can't learn surf always confounded me. I mean, it's not just a water type Pokemon, but it's also a fish! Fish swim!

A bunch of Pokemon learning Sucker Punch with no arms...

Sucker Punch is a term for an attack, not an actual punch.

Even then, the Japanese name is Surprise Attack. This would be why the move isn't boosted by Iron Fist, as some may think it should be.
The translators must be stupid then. Also Galvantula having Bug Buzz with no wings as the description says that it vibrates its wings. Same with Accelgor.

I always wondered why some Pokemon who learn Bite can't also learn Crunch. I mean, isn't Crunch like a more powerful Bite?

That was always weird to me, too. The only explanation I can think of is that some Pokémon just have weaker teeth. Like, when you think of Crunch, you think of a crocodile (or Krookodile in my case) violently tearing something apart with its teeth. With "Bite" you think of something slightly weaker. Like, Rattata, you don't normally think of a rat "crunching" as munch as you do think of it "biting" something. Connotation, I guess. I don't know.

But humorously enough, had my Krookodile not learned Crunch mid-way into my first post-N battle with the Elite 4, I would have lost miserably to Caitlin. All I had was... well, Bite. =P

That was always weird to me, too. The only explanation I can think of is that some Pokémon just have weaker teeth. Like, when you think of Crunch, you think of a crocodile (or Krookodile in my case) violently tearing something apart with its teeth. With "Bite" you think of something slightly weaker. Like, Rattata, you don't normally think of a rat "crunching" as munch as you do think of it "biting" something. Connotation, I guess. I don't know.

Yeah, that does make sense. Thanks for bringing that up.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom