• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do the outside world know your BMGF membership/activity/etc.?

Reaction score
SImple question. Do you keep your BMGF life a secret, or any relative/sibling/etc. know that you are a forum member? For me, I keep it a secret, and my cousin who seems like an expert on spying only knows my activity.

By the way, this is my first Outside The Box post. I hang out in Fun and Games often, until I asked this question.

I don't hide it but I don't advertise my business, people who know are people who asked what I was doing while on the forum

Much like most things in my life, I don't really hide anything, but I don't advertise it either. If people ask me anything I will probably answer, no matter what it is. I've mentioned something about the forums to a few people just in casual conversation, like, "I read X about Pokemon on the forums," but that's about it. I don't think it's a big deal?

I do, however, feel like a big huge weirdo going into a GameStop asking for Pokemon codes. ^^;; My friends know I'm a huge Pokemon nerd but I guess I feel the need to protect my "gamer cred" around other gamers lolcat :ROFLMAO: it's like my brain is like "Having a couch drowning in Pokemon plushies (which I've plastered my Facebook with) and being on the forums and watching the show is one thing, actually admitting to playing the games is another." I don't understand myself sometimes ^^;;

Don't hide it but don't really advertise either.If someone asks what I'm doing Ill let them know.

I've told my parents, as well as my older cousin and some friends (who I tried to get to come here but didn't succeed).

I doubt it. I'll login on my phone when I'm outside of the house, but I'm confident no one cares at what I am looking at. At home, I use my laptop in my room to login so my family doesn't know, and I don't leave my room with it. I never discuss it with friends or family, either. The Bulbagarden forums are just a place I go to to escape from the offline world. =)

Both of my parents, as well as my older brother, are aware of it. Out of my friends, only my closest ones plus a few others are aware of it.

Mum and Dad are fine with it as long as I don't post any photographs. There's a strict no-photos rule in my house (no photos online except for Facebook). I'm glad they let me since they're strict about a lot of other websites (for example, I'm not allowed to have a Tumblr account).

My family knows. I don't think they expected me to stick around this long, though. I remember advertising this place to a bunch of friends back in like sixth grade as well, but I doubt any of them know it.

Since then I kind of nonchalantly say it whenever it comes up. I'm not embarrassed by it at all, so why hide it?

I told my mom about this site but either she's forgot about it or she doesn't care.

No one else really knows except for my friend who's also a member here (Mintaka)

My family knows I'm a member here, I've also shared my identity here with a few close friends as well. I have asked a couple of real life friends if they would like to join here in the past but they weren't really that into pokemon or forums in general. I only share knowledge of my membership here with a select few people though as I like to keep my online and offline life fairly separate.

My mom knows because I won a prize from the Christmas contests a few years ago and I needed to make sure she was okay with me giving the address so I could have my prize shipped to me. (She was okay with it, for the record, but I had to ask because at the time, I was under 18. xD) Not sure if she really remembers this site, but she knows I browse forums online and doesn't really care.

No one else really knows though. I try to keep my online life and my offline life as separate as possible so as not to have any issues.

No one I know even cares, so I doubt anyone I know even knows. They never ask, anyway.

Plus, I think they're just glad I'm not chain-watching Lady Gaga music videos again.

I doubt anyone irl knows I post here... but if they do meh people know I like Pokemon.

As for other online people, people from other forums have seen me on here and mentioned it, so I suppose the answer is yes.

Obviously my girlfriend knows. I don't think anybody else cares. I'm not ashamed of it or anything, but I'm also not really one to advertise. I don't like people reading what's on my screen, either, but that goes for any website.

None of my RL friends are into Pokémon, so I've no reason to tell them.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom