• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do the outside world know your BMGF membership/activity/etc.?

Some of my mates know I'm into foruming, and they've heard the name and nature of the forum, but they don't care about it too much.

Nah, no one really knows. I don't make any effort to hide it but I don't have any reason to talk about it either. I wouldn't hide it if someone asked or accidentally saw. I used to have friends who knew I had a presence here (when I did lol) but we don't really speak anymore.

I don't usually tell anyone. The only people who know are some friends on another Pokemon site I go to, and I can only really tell them because we've known each other for years. I'd rather not have a lot of people follow and track me all the time, so I only tell people when I'm comfortable with them knowing.

I usually tell my friends about my activity on the forums if related topics spring up in our conversation. Apart from that, meh! Nobody cares... and I don't either...

Only my best friends know because I brought it up a few times.

My parents and brother know that I am a member on this site and post here.

I tried to keep it a secret.
That is until I accidentally brought it up to my parents.
Also my sibling who i love and hate literally knows about everything i do. i hate it kinda

Yes. My brother knows, though it's not surprising since we live together, he even lurks the forum occasionally. My parents also know since I've told them about it once before when we all have a little get together, my mother thinks it's interesting but otherwise doesn't care, and my father also doesn't care (of course he even lurks forums related to anime in general, so it's expected lol). Other relatives also know about it; my friends know as well of course since two of them used to be on other Pokemon forums. And yes, they all know of forums I used to be on and the other ones I'm currently on, they don't really care what I do online lol.

My parents and immediate friends all know I'm here and on the Staff, and it surprises none of them a jot given how open I am about my interests with my immediate circle (many of whom are Pokémon fans themselves). Furthermore, many of said friends are of an age where they can remember mass forum usage prior to the rise of places like Reddit and Discord.

I've told a few friends I post fanfic on a forum, but other than that, no. I mean, my family knows I'm a Pokémon fan, but I'd rather keep my activity here a secret, mainly because I'm more open about certain things here compared to around people in my life (also my family's not the most trusting of online stuff).

Actually, no. I literally don't know anyone in real life who also (still) likes Pokémon or even anime, at least not that I'm aware of (that's one of the big reasons I'm here to begin with, to find likeminded people). And in general I'm not the type to flaunt their interests. I'm not super secretive about what I like but not that open about it at the same time. If I notice I have common interests with someone I tend to bring them up, that just hasn't happened in regards to Pokémon or this site yet.

My parents and immediate family do. My wife does. Some of my friends do, and a couple of my coworkers do, as well.

Technically, I don’t hide my involvement with Bulbagarden, and I often advertise it…but people don’t actually understand the advertisement since it’s not verbal, it’s this:
F0347AFE-563D-4FA7-AFF9-E31D498025B2.jpeg

and yes, that is a custom made one of a kind yarmulke (skull cap) with the Bulbagarden logo and my username (Maniacal Engineer) in Yiddish.
You see some guy walking down the street wearing that on his head, then congratulations, you’ve found ME.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom