• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

I would have to say that she is the worst female companion too she just didn't really have much to her apart her crush on ash except in first couple of episodes where seemed to have more personality with her sassiness with her mum

I'm not the biggest fan of Serena myself and her storyline felt pretty poorly planned out, but I feel like fans make a bigger deal about her crush than the show normally did. It clearly was there and the kiss in the finale definitely created more buzz around the pairing, but that wasn't the main part of her storyline. Even with the finale in mind, I'd still say that the crush was a gimmick rather than a storyline or subplot. All of her best moments were about finding a goal, becoming more confident and being a better Performer. The crush was just a way to help make her stand out more and attract more attention from the audience. I can see why people would think that she was just kind of there, but I do think that there was more to Serena than just the crush.

While I was disappointed with how Serena turned out, I'd still take her over Iris in a heartbeat. Her storyline was poorly handled and having her go off to Hoenn to do Contests still bothers me immensely, but at least she was still generally likable and her development actually felt believable.

I didn't mind how things played out with Tobias in DP. We all know Ash was never going to win (thanks to the powers that be), so just considering that it took someone using a legendary team to beat our boy (with him defeating two of them at that) left me strangely satisfied. The way I saw it, the fact that they used a trainer as powerful as Tobias to stop Ash's Sinnoh League run was, in a way, an acknowledgement and reflection of Ash's strength and overall growth up to that point.

I just found a more interesting character to watch than Serena even if she did get on my nerves at times

I went from liking the Pokemon dub to disliking it as I saw more and more crew & cast changes that led to my frustrations building with it over time.
Does it have anything to do with dub or not? It is not like crew and cast didn't change at all in Japanese side.

Does it have anything to do with dub or not? It is not like crew and cast didn't change at all in Japanese side.
It's mainly the dub since it was literally almost *all* but overhauled during the last quarter of AG, but in the Japanese Version, only Giovanni/Sakaki's seiyu changed due to his passing away and Akiko Hiramatsu taking over for Megumi Hayashibara as Jessie/Musashi during a few eps. in AG (as well as Mariya Ise being replaced temp. for Bonnie by Mika Kanai during her maternity leave before returning).

Still, I do miss Takeshi Shudo sometimes despite his passing away, and leaving the Series of his own volition in his case, unlike most.

Last edited:
Serena is a poorly developed character would be my *popular* unpopular opinion in this thread.
Mallow is the most poorly developed character in the SM Series so far is another.

IMO, because most fans are ignorant about Shudo's ideas that were never actually executed, that's why fans overrated him because they judge him and his work according to what had happened on-screen which were already filtered and censored by his superior directors and many other third-parties. Fans don't see the unfiltered ideas he had in his mind, where that is the thing I was not feeling comfortable about.
Shudo was an eccentric with a unique perspective, which to me makes him the most interesting writer the show has seen. I can agree that the show would not have worked had he been left to his own devices, but the minority of fans who know a bit about Shudo are simply curious about how he envisioned the Pokemon world and Ash's place in it.
I've been pondering this for some time (hence joining the party late...) and I wonder whether his story would have worked better had he not been unfettered by the production. When I rewatched Kanto a couple of years ago the whole thing seemed half-arsed: part cookie-cutter Pokemon Master journey quest and part something more philosophical. The two didn't always balance well together.

I'm also probably one of the few that likes Alain. I don't mind him winning the league. Yes, I'm disappointed that Ash lost, but I'm glad it was Alain that he lost to. I thoroughly enjoyed his character and his chemistry with Manon.

Speaking of which, I must be the only person here who ships Alain and Manon.

What about Shudo's creepy fixation with full moon? There is something behind that.

Before I get in-thread, I think it'd be a great idea to make a thread\blog about Shudou's rejected ideas (maybe a translation later, but more about what didn't happen in the anime's nice to know). I'd hunt them myself but I'm more focused in English nowadays, and reading in Japanese's very tiring.

Anyway..... After dropping the games since Gen 3 (I played Gen 4 and 5 in emulators, but that isn't important), and back playing them, I think the story could be darker and with less fillers, more or less like the games. I know Origins did it (perhaps the manga too), but I'd love to see a Garagara ghost plot with no rushes, Shion Town (that was almost entirely skipped), Yamabuki City and Fuschia (forgot the Japanese name, this one never appeared btw).
And talking more about OS (where the saga started), the Elite 4 and Sakaki\Rocket-dan could've been better explored. Idk where they came to the idea of a tournament for the league, I'd favor a battle with all Elite 4 (and maybe with Shigeru in the end, where Satoshi'd lose to him? Or to Wataru?)

I didn't mind how things played out with Tobias in DP. We all know Ash was never going to win (thanks to the powers that be), so just considering that it took someone using a legendary team to beat our boy (with him defeating two of them at that) left me strangely satisfied. The way I saw it, the fact that they used a trainer as powerful as Tobias to stop Ash's Sinnoh League run was, in a way, an acknowledgement and reflection of Ash's strength and overall growth up to that point.
Absolutely. I've had a lot of time to reflect on that and it's led me to that same conclusion. I highly doubt that the other two soulless nobodies in the semis had a chance against Ash, not with his unpredictable set of reserves.

We can't forget this: Ash beat that Darkrai and later pushed one of those unseen five reserves to a draw with Pikachu alone, while Tobias's final opponent was destroyed 6-0. That's a great showing.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom