• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Doctor Who

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't got the chance to watch it yet, haven't had the chance to go on BBC iplayer, but I will tell you my thoughts when I watch it.

I thought it was ok, it did pretty much tie up everything that had happened in the series. I didn't really like the direction the second half of the series took though, the first 6 episodes were great but the final 6 just weren't as enjoyable, I'm not really a fan of the darker storylines unless their done well. The Christmas special appears to be more light hearted in tone so hoping I'll like that more.

I thought it tied some things up well, but I thought some of it was unnecessary.
Also, the inspired spinoff needs to be cancelled until we have Torchwood and more Jack. Lots more Jack.
That new sonic tho

I'm not happy that the sonic sunglasses are gone :(

Also, I agree with you, RC, I liked the beginning of the season much better than the end of the season.
The finale did bring back the confession dial and the Sisterhood of Karn from the first two episodes, it didn't really touch the second two-parter so much, but the main concept of those episodes was the idea of death and not cheating death, which was really the theme of most of the episodes of this season. Obviously, it brought back Me from The Girl Who Died and The Woman Who Lived.
It didn't really touch the Zygon episodes or the Sandman episode. Wasn't a big fan of the Sandman episode, though, so that's fine.

Over all, the finale continued to draw parallels between 12 and 10, and I will be very, very upset if they don't actually go anywhere with that. There were also some nice parallels and things coming full circle with the Doctor in general, but I don't want to get more specific until I know everyone has seen the finale.

Since my last post was over a week ago, and there has been a new episode since then, I am curious.

@Rainbow Cloud @Lady Flip @Kylo Ren @Lord Dragelsnart @The_Doctor @BadAssGardevoir

Thoughts on the season finale?

Season finale... It was definitely pretty intense. Had its ups and downs. I definitely liked it more than series 8's finale.

Clara's death but not death is a bag of mixed feelings for me. I loved the Doctor back on Gallifrey, and his stubborn holding of power over the high council. Gallifrey's return as a whole is definitely cool. I'd love to see more of it, as well as more explanations of how things went down after the Time War. Capaldi had a great performance again, though maybe not quite as good as Heaven Sent. As I said before, Clara's not death and the Doctor forgetting her tore me up a bit. Time Lord tech is interesting. So, she's physically frozen in time, not aging, yet she can think and run about as long as she likes in the stolen Tardis. That whole thing is... I dunno. I guess it's happy that she and Ashildr are living the dream in their new stolen Tardis. However, Clara's general state of being is still a but confusing and paradoxical to me. Though, at least we do know that she eventually goes back to her death (y'know, since she did end up dying). So that whole thing is interesting. Though, if her being is frozen in time, why could she and the Doctor not simply keep travelling? They could run together forever? Their separation, and everything surrounding it just confuses me a bit. Like, she's off flying through time and space again. There's no reason that she and the Doctor had to separate, really. And the whole thing with the Doctor forgetting Clara, no matter how poetic, is simply heartbreaking. I mean, it's good that he is relieved of his great pain and guilt of her death, but still. I still love Doctor Who, as always, however Moffat's entire run (especially the last couple years) just doesn't quite sit right with me all the time. Though, either way, Capaldi has been fantastic, and Coleman was also fantastic, even if I didn't like all of the writing. Overall I thought it was pretty good, and I look forward to moving on into the future to hopefully even better runs of Doctor Who.

A good deal of my thoughts in the spoiler.

OH! ALSO

I am glad that the sonic screwdriver is back, however I do not really care for the design... The design just looks a bit too phallic. And the metal pieces are too complicated and strewn about, with the upper half of the screwdriver being too exposed. I dunno. I just don't care for the design much. I still think that 10's sonic was probably the best so far. I love 11's and War Doctor's sonics as well. All three of those were great. This one... meh.

Also, as you mentioned just above this post, I too like the references to 10. I like references to the past in general. I definitely hope they keep making references to 10 (and hopefully 9 and 11 as well, at least). Though I still want 12 to have his own unique and new things to be referenced by future Doctors, rather than just focusing on referencing the past. I want him to have some more individual things added.

For this series as a whole, I think I enjoyed the beginning of the series more too. Overall I think series 9 was pretty good. Every episode was good, barring the Sandmen. I don't like the Sandmen episode much. Especially the ending was too open. Personally, I'm ready for a different showrunner. Davies and Moffat were both (are in Moffat's case) good showrunners overall, though I feel they both had strengths and weaknesses. While I think Davies and Moffat are both pretty great, I'm thinking it's time for a new showrunner. Moffat's biggest problem is plotholes and paradoxes. Too big and too many.

You can always be more specific by using spoiler tags :)

Last edited:
I saw the finale, and I think it was good to see the original inside of a TARDIS, even for a few minutes. And I do believe that the message on the blackboard at the end of the episode was written by River Song, who will appear in the next episode. It will air on Christmas Day in the UK and Boxing Day here in Australia.

I saw the finale, and I think it was good to see the original inside of a TARDIS, even for a few minutes. And I do believe that the message on the blackboard at the end of the episode was written by River Song, who will appear in the next episode. It will air on Christmas Day in the UK and Boxing Day here in Australia.

?? Uh nope. It was written by Clara when they picked up the Tardis for him. She left the message for him. It's basically her catchphrase.

They do sort of reference both River and Donna in the finale, though...

But that message on the chalkboard was most definitely written by Clara.

Though what are the references you speak of? Unless the whole memory loss thing is a reference to Donna's memory loss.

The message was clearly Clara, that I know.

IIRC, they mention a Time Lord/Human hybrid at one point during the episode. Maybe it's not a great reference, but that is, technically, what River Song is.

As you said, the memory loss thing, plus the Doctor explicitly saying that he's wiped the memories of one of his companions before, was the reference to Donna.

I hope to heck that there's going to be a 10/12 crossover at some point considering all the parallelisms and references they've made so far in series 8 and 9.
They might even be able to throw in 11 and the War Doctor too, to give John Hurt more screen time.

The message was clearly Clara, that I know.

IIRC, they mention a Time Lord/Human hybrid at one point during the episode. Maybe it's not a great reference, but that is, technically, what River Song is.

As you said, the memory loss thing, plus the Doctor explicitly saying that he's wiped the memories of one of his companions before, was the reference to Donna.

I hope to heck that there's going to be a 10/12 crossover at some point considering all the parallelisms and references they've made so far in series 8 and 9.
They might even be able to throw in 11 and the War Doctor too, to give John Hurt more screen time.

Ah, yeah I remember those references now.

I would love that. I would love to see a 10, 11, 12 episode. Or at least 10-12. Or 11-12. Either way. All three would be best though. Could be a fantastic opener or finale for series 10. Plus, a little reference since 10th Doctor appearing in series 10. lol

Of course we know that 9 won't happen, since he refuses to return. Otherwise I would want him too.

I love every single one of them, mostly equally. But I agree. He was fantastic. Think of what he could do with today's budget, resources, writers, technology, and fanbase!

I have not haha. Though it is on my bucket list. Speaking of which, I'm hoping to possibly check out the Lego Dimensions videogame, Doctor Who set.

I loved the finale of Doctor Who. It was exciting and was a great episode. Series 9 was very impressive and I love the first two episodes. The Zygon episodes were neat too and I am glad that they got episodes for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom