• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Doctor Who

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, Whovians, I need your help.

The 10th and 11th Doctors are coming to Wizard Con in a location I can actually get to in April, right around my birthday, which is also David Tennant's birthday.

The problem: VIP tickets for the Tennant and Smith experience are very expensive. Like more expensive than my two VIP Silver passes to the Star Trek convention I attended last June. I don't quite have unlimited funds, and I will want to go to the 50th Anniversary Star Trek convention with my girlfriend in September.
What do I do?!

It is going to be a while until we see a new series of Doctor Who.

for me personally, it would have to be David Tennant I actually started watching the show with Chris Eccleston but it's David that cemented its place in my heart as one of the best scfi shows out there

think they are some pretty interesting books on the making of the show over the years and a lot of struggles that came with it pretty much right from the beginning of the show

I think it's a shame his leaving after a relativity short time I feel he could have brought more to the show still and I personally preferred him to matt smith who was ok as the doctor but could be too clownish for my liking at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the new series of Doctor Who is coming in a few months time. And I think it's high time to talk about the Thirteenth Doctor as Peter Capaldi announced recently that he is quitting the show at Christmas, and that this years' Christmas episode will be a regeneration episode from the Twelfth Doctor to the Thirteenth Doctor.

Also, what did y'all think of the most recent Christmas special?
I quite enjoyed it.

I liked it, though I have to say that it was the epitome of the "light and fluffy" Christmas special that they design to be easily digested by the inflated Christmastime audience. So, it was cute and the direction was at least interesting, but it's also my least-favorite of the Capaldi era's Christmas specials by default (with Last Christmas being a tense and atomspheric rollercoaster of an episode, and The Husbands of River Song being a hilarious comedy romp with a poignant ending).

Oooo, there's a glimpse of a V. early model Cyberman in the trailer!
I'm pretty hyped for Series 10.
New companion seems V. amusing. And I really like that Matt Lucas is also staying on. It will be a good dynamic, I think.

I love Doctor Who. I'm a few seasons behind, I started with Tennant as my Doctor though I love Matt Smith, especially when he was paired with Jenna Coleman. I'd have to say Nightmare in Silver is my favorite episode and the Cybermen freak me out.

Okay, Whovians, I need your help.

The 10th and 11th Doctors are coming to Wizard Con in a location I can actually get to in April, right around my birthday, which is also David Tennant's birthday.

The problem: VIP tickets for the Tennant and Smith experience are very expensive. Like more expensive than my two VIP Silver passes to the Star Trek convention I attended last June. I don't quite have unlimited funds, and I will want to go to the 50th Anniversary Star Trek convention with my girlfriend in September.
What do I do?!
Never mentioned how I resolved this, did I, and it's been over a year. XD

Matt Smith ended up cancelling, so I bought myself and my girlfriend tickets to meet David Tennant. He is absolutely brilliant, and getting to wish him a happy birthday and having him wish me a happy birthday was AMAZING.

A couple of weeks until the new series begins, and we got more information on Bill Potts (played by Pearl Mackie), who will be the first openly gay companion in the history of Doctor Who (Doctor Who getting first openly gay companion). Of course, there has been gay characters (Captain Jack Harkness) and bisexual characters (River Song), but Bill will be the first permanent companion to be gay. I agree with Pearl Mackie in that being gay is not a big deal in the 21st Century, and what I care about is that is she going to be a great character (for me, Bill's sexuality is not important) in the lines of several of my favourite companions like Jack Harkness, Amy Pond and Clara Oswald.

I wish Pearl Mackie the best of luck in playing the new companion.

Some news that came out a few days ago. John Simm is returning as The Master in Season 10 of Doctor Who to battle Peter Capaldi (John Simm returns to Doctor Who). Nice to see some class from who had to be the best Master, even though I don't mind Missy.
That's interesting, because iirc we know that Missy will be in this season, too.
I wonder if this means they'll finally do the Tennant/Capaldi crossover I've wanted them to do from the moment Capaldi began wondering what the deal was with his face.

All right everybody, Season 10 has officially started.
As some people may not have seen the new episode yet, please keep spoilerific comments in spoiler tags.
Thoughts on the season premier?
Thoughts on Bill?
Thoughts on Nardole?
Thoughts on what's in the vault?
Thoughts on who the Doctor made his promise to?

Personally, I think this season is off to a good start, though not quite as good as the last season's. Then again, hopefully this season doesn't have so many 2 part episodes. I couldn't stand having to wait a week for resolution. XD

For me, there's something so terrifying about people exuding copious amounts of water. The Waters of Mars is still the scariest episode IMO. But this was up there.

Looking forward to the creepy early design Cybermen, haha.
I hugely enjoy Bill. I'm glad that Nardole is there as well. It will be a nice dynamic having the 3.

I would also prefer less 2 parters. Though there were quite a few in Series 1 - 4, they seemed not as prominent for some reason...

I thought the first episode was very good, and I think Bill and Nardole are excellent additions to the show, and I for one look forward to next week's episode. And did anyone noticed the photo of the Doctor's granddaughter Susan Foreman (a nod to the William Hartnell era.). I suspect that Susan will appear this season. Anyone think this will happen?

Last edited:
Loved The Pilot. Bill's off to a strong start, Capaldi is as mesmerizing as ever. I still like the concept of Nardole as a sort of valet, and his presence has been fine, but I'm waiting for them to do more with him (I'm sure they will; obviously it's just more important to give Bill the full spotlight in her first few episodes). At any rate, I just like having more than two people on the TARDIS in general.

The plot was wafer-thin, but still entertaining enough. That's par for the course really, for companion debut episodes.

The pull-back reveal of the dark TARDIS interior may be the best variation on that tradition yet.

Lovely to see a brief glimpse of the Movellans, too. :D I'm one of those rare fans of Destiny of the Daleks.

For me, there's something so terrifying about people exuding copious amounts of water. The Waters of Mars is still the scariest episode IMO. But this was up there.

Looking forward to the creepy early design Cybermen, haha.
My first reaction was to assume that the same creatures from The Waters of Mars had shown up, TBH. Between the dripping water and the spaceship looking for a pilot (i.e. somebody who wanted to leave), which was reminiscent of the Silence ship in The Lodger, there were some recycled elements here...

Also, no speculations about the contents of the vault?
What about the continued theme of memory erasing? Is Capaldi going to unwipe Donna's memory? Are they going to come full circle with all the parallels they've been drawing between Capaldi and Tennant?
Probably not. :(

So now we know what's in the vault. To be honest, it wasn't that much of a surprise, and was even kind of a bit of a let down.
This is the first part of a three parter, so I am eager to see what happens next. I'm assuming this is where John Simm's Master comes in, but I had been hoping it would be in the season finale. Kinda makes me wonder if Capaldi is going to Regenerate mid-season. Even though this has never been done before, doesn't make it impossible. After all, the Doctor has never Regenerated into a woman before, but that will likely happen at some point.

Anyway, I really liked the concept of this episode, because it plays off of the often underappreciated fact that we could all very well be living in a giant simulation, and never know about it.
I was disappointed in one thing, however. When the scientists at CERN decided to commit mass suicide, why did they use dynamite? They should have set their particle accelerators to "black hole" mode, which would have been a much more "appropriate" and "humorous" death, and it would have referenced the ridiculous theories that emerged about the LHC when it was first being built.
Over all, I am quite enjoying this season so far, and even though the Doctor is currently blind, I am sure he will triumph over whatever, or Whoever, decides to invade the Earth this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom