• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Doctor Who

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Bill. I like how she has personality and sass, and doesn't come across as at all vapid. Her character hasn't been underplayed, nor overplayed. I really love the way they dealt with sexuality and racism, not at all overdone. It wasn't avoided, but it wasn't an overly big deal either. I also love Nardole, I want to see more of him, I think they make a great double act.
I'll admit Missy being in the vault was disappointing - I wanted to see the story of how Simm became her. However, my hope that the frenemyship between them is due to some kind of unrequited attraction on the Master's side is seeming possible by the way she spoke to him - I want Missy to become an unexpected ally. Looking forward to the next episode, thought it was set up nicely, just hoping it doesn't get too convoluted and trite.
I have higher hopes than I've had in about 5 series, I hope Moffat goes out with grace.

Thoughts on Nardole?

Honestly... he's annoying and I don't like him much.

The season's pilot was fantastic, and I'm super excited to see where this 3-parter goes (even if it strains the mind). However, the episodes between the pilot and this 3-parter were pretty meh imo.

I found the most recent episode boring. The end was ok, but I felt like it was 15 minutes of episode and 30 minutes of fluff.

I was hoping that John Simm was in the vault, but was a bit disappointed that it was Missy (I was predicting the Doctor's granddaughter would've been in the vault). And that whole monks ruling the world reminds me of the novel Nineteen Eighty Four, in which the monks controlled everything, just like how Big Brother controlled everything, and history was changed to accommodate changes. For example, the monks were always on Earth, just like how Big Brother was always there in the novel Nineteen Eighty Four.

I really liked "Empress of Mars". Also, the thing that the Ice Warriors' weapon does to people is hilarious.

I liked the second episode of the three parter better than the third episode.
And yeah, I was disappointed that Missy was in the vault, but what're you going to do?

I suspect that David Tennant is going to appear in the Christmas Special this year, possibly alongside John Simm. From what I understand, Tennant has been very busy lately, but just finished up with a play he was performing in...right around the time they're filming for the Special.
Since this is Capaldi's finale, they really do need to resolve all of the parallels they've been drawing between Tennant's Doctor and Capaldi's Doctor. John Simm's Master was solely the antagonist for Tennant's Doctor, and Missy is the antagonist solely for Capaldi. I feel like this would work out very well and into a great episode that could end in Capaldi Regenerating.

We still don't know Who the next Doctor is, do we?

John Simm will appear in next week's episode. And I watched Whovians on ABC2, and they had a discussion on how Missy is becoming good and the Doctor is turning horrible. And there is talk that Russell T. Davies (the former show-runner when Christopher Eccelston and David Tennant played the Ninth and Tenth Doctors respectively) knows who will play the Thirteen Doctor, but won't say. A website called Wikia has an article on possible choices for the Thirteenth Doctor which includes women and actors of colour, plus a former James Bond (Doctor Who: Could A Surprise Choice Replace Peter Capaldi? [UPDATED]).

In regards to the episode for this week, it was very good (like Bill taking a leadership role and Nardole and the popcorn). Look forward to see next week's episode with John Simm returning.

Hmmmm? I don't see the Doctor becoming more evil. A little stupider, mind you, what with the blindness thing and his attempt to fight the Gatekeeper and Roman's battle this most recent episode, but I don't see him as "evil."

I am, of course, very much looking forward to next week's episode, though I regret that I won't be able to view it until Sunday evening at the earliest, since I will be out of town next weekend. Like I said above, I'm thinking that the John Simm arc will be concluded in the Christmas Special with an appearance by David Tennant. I will ask him when I see him at Wizard World in August, though I'm sure he won't answer.

Also, I'm personally really liking Nardole, and Bill is developing nicely as a character as well. Overall so far, I am quite enjoying this season and, if my suspicions about the Special are correct, I will continue to enjoy this season.

I watched the episode last night, and I was wondering when John Simm would appear, and it turned out he led Bill to a trap, which saw her converted to a 60's style Cyberman, and it is sad to see what happened to her, especially the tear at the end. The episode was one of the best of the Steven Moffett era, if not the best (sorry Bill). It will be very difficult to top that for the Season 10 finale next week.

And did you know that the episode that just aired was the first multi-Master story ever (it has taken 54 years to get to it). We had a few multi-Doctor episodes (especially "The Day of the Doctor" which saw David Tennant, Matt Smith and the late Sir John Hurt playing the Tenth, Eleventh and War Doctors respectively), and I have a feeling that the Christmas special will be a multi-Doctor story with the First Doctor appearing (not William Hartnell nor Richard Hurndall, who are both sadly deceased).

Gotta say, I did like this week's episode quite a bit.

The interaction between Missy and John Simm's Master was excellent, and they managed to explain how and when John Simm Regenerated. It is unfortunate the Missy got blasted with the Laser Screwdriver and was unable to Regenerate, but I'm sure they will find a way to bring The Master, or some incarnation of him, back.
Also liked the various callbacks to both Classic Who and New Who, including Capaldi and the jelly babies and saying "I don't want to go," as the first thing when he woke up.

The very end with the reveal of the "new" First Doctor was definitely a great cliffhanger, and I am very much looking forward to the Christmas special this year for the conclusion.

I still don't think they explained why John Simm was converting all the people into Cybermen, but...

The only part of the episode I didn't like was the callback to The Pilot. I rather felt like that was deus ex machina.
"Bill's a Cyberman? No problem, that strange liquid lady from the first episode can fix that."
"The Doctor can't get to his TARDIS? No problem, liquid lady to the rescue!"
"Nardole is still stuck on Floor 503 with a Cyberman invasion that will happen someday in the future and no ways to stop it? Eh, let's ignore that, even though it was the whole point of the episode."

I'm thinking did Missy know that that was going to happen to her all along? I was pretty sad to see The Master come to an end, but he has come to a definite end before... But he came back again.

The scene with the two Masters up against the wall was hilarious.

A lot of sadness in the episode. Those scenes with Bill alternately being shown as herself and as a Cyberman were V. sad. Her well-placed anger with the Doctor. Rachel Talalay is definitely my fave director in recent times.

A lot of sadness in the episode. Those scenes with Bill alternately being shown as herself and as a Cyberman were V. sad. Her well-placed anger with the Doctor. Rachel Talalay is definitely my fave director in recent times.
They did something similar in the Dalek Asylum episode, with Oswin and the Daleks.
It is interesting to see how people's minds can be used to filter their reality or to fight against, for lack of a better term, assimilation.
I wonder if that callback was intentional or not...

I quite enjoyed the last episode of Series 10 of Doctor Who, and Bill's story was quite emotional, as well as the ending with Heather. We saw the first same-sex kiss on Doctor Who between Bill and Heather (there had been a few in the spin-offs Torchwood between Jack Harkness and Ianto Jones as well as Class from earlier this year). Imagine the manufactured "outrage" from so-called "family" groups now.

Overall, Bill turned out to be a very good companion, and I liked Peter Capaldi's three companions (Clara Oswald, Bill Potts and Nardole), and Peter Capaldi was a great doctor.

I am looking forward to the Christmas episode with Peter Capaldi playing the Twelfth Doctor meeting David Bradley playing the First Doctor (the third actor to play the First Doctor after William Hartnell and Richard Hurndall). And will we get to see Peter Capaldi regenerate into the Valeyard (between the twelfth and thirteenth and final incarnation)? Who knows.

And I am thinking that the mysterious planet that Peter Capaldi is on is the planet in which William Hartnell regenerated into Patrick Troughton back in 1966 in the serial The Tenth Planet).

Last edited:
And will we get to see Peter Capaldi regenerate into the Valeyard (between the twelfth and thirteenth and final incarnation)? Who knows.

yeah but Twelve is technically the fourteenth incarnation as he got a new set of lives in Eleven's last episode, so we're past the Valeyard stage by now

It is interesting that, like David Tennant's Doctor, Capaldi's Doctor doesn't seem to want to Regenerate into a new person either.

I do imagine that it would get tedious, trying to figure out who you are after every Regeneration, so he has a fair point. I mean, his entire first season and some of his second season was, essentially, trying to remember who he was.

I'm still hopeful that Tennant's Doctor makes an appearance in the Christmas special, even though the First Doctor will definitely be appearing in it, as well.

yeah but Twelve is technically the fourteenth incarnation as he got a new set of lives in Eleven's last episode, so we're past the Valeyard stage by now

I stand corrected thanks to the wish made by Clara Oswald in that episode, which I had forgotten about.

I found an article on Wikia which argues that the BBC has announced (by stealth) the actor (or in this case actress) who will play the thirteenth doctor, and it could be Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Has the New Face of Doctor Who Just Been Confirmed?). But we should take this with a grain of salt because we don't know officially who is playing the Thirteenth Doctor yet, and like the announcement made in a special in regards to Matt Smith playing the Eleventh Doctor and Peter Capaldi playing the Twelfth Doctor (which as The Thin White Duke correctly mentioned was the fourteenth incarnation). So I presume that there will be a special about the announcement of the Thirteenth Doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom