• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misfit Angel's Corner

CPjGquX.png

Torches are a placeholder, but I'm finally in a happy place with the castle environment.

Everything looks great! And to second shadow tracker the water looks awesome!

UEBIGgz.png

Nothing new this time, just cleaning up an old submission with newer textures. Part of the problem with the old textures was that they were so smooth and basic, which doesn't properly fit in with the exterior tiles I've drawn. Some of the stuff will remain smooth, such as the tables, since it's not often you find a rough table in modern society, and never in a laboratory setting. A floor, however... well, that'll get worn down with years of people walking all over it. The floors in my own house have definitely seen better days and look similar to what's shown here.

Also, it's quite obvious I'm a fan of alternating tile floors.

Here's a full map for the city of Azure Ridge. Click it for the larger, uncompressed version. It's more or less completed (NPCs are absent because I don't have much variation in them yet), but at the same time, I don't really like it so I'm considering starting over. The plan is to alter the the buildings so they're a lot less bland, so I have more drawing ahead of me. Another reason is that there are a few differences between this map and how Azure Ridge was written in Storm Island, and those will bug me.

lRb7pih.png

Did a bit of work refining the exterior appearance of the houses. I'm particularly fond of the flowers, and they weren't even the focus of my attention.

The pieces are finally coming together. Here's a look at the residential section of the new Azure Ridge, cram packed full of detail. Perhaps a bit too much. Pictured here is the Winston residence, a disheveled and unmaintained house available for rent, an unknown residence and the Dennison residence, home to the female player character. Beachfront property is a pretty nice start to an adventure, if I do say so.

There's a few bits and pieces that show how painfully WIP this is, and as usual, a click will get a larger size.

6oPLrEAl.jpg

Bit of a different submission this time, from my usual. I managed to take a pretty decent picture of the moon, if I do say so myself.

It's been awhile. Time for another submission.

silvermist_by_ac_prescott-d9ie9zx.png

Here's a sample of the now-completed Silvermist City. Not much is featured here, other than the Silvermist Arboretum and Nature Center, which serves as a similar purpose 'gym'. Totally not Pokemon, guys.

LuEZBdt.png
05PNFum.png
92LKXkT.png

4kMPEjQ.png
kfOwrhC.png
U95QnYH.png

SqMeziR.png

Done some work on some NPCs. None of these designs are for particular characters, and there's a lot more behind the scenes animating I've done that isn't shown here. It was actually more of a pain to create these animations compared to drawing them... Actually, have a look at the process of putting these characters together:

YgyCrir.png

(looks like my animator broke when scaling the stuff)
What this process does is allow me to create characters with modular pieces that I'm able to recolor on the fly. So I'm not stuck with static NPCs like most RPGs from yesteryear.

(the top two are animated pngs. Don't see them? Check to see if your browser has an apng plugin.)

WR7tQDZ.png

Toying with a cultist design. Dunno if I'm happy with the skin tone, or the eye color. Good thing I can change them whenever I want!

Here's the inside of the Urgent Care Center, Storm Island's equivalent of an inn/Pokecenter. I guess it's more like an inn than anything, because they aren't free to use.

Two things today, one of which has been done for about a month.

8zKZ4Zh.png

The interior of the convenience stores that dot Storm Island.

D6qDCWu.png

Toying around with a canal design. The sides of the waterflow could probably be a bit different, to signify they're smashing into a wall, maybe?

kl8vrYj.png

Here's the basic design of the ID cards present in Storm Island. There's more information on the back, but I haven't designed that yet. Also, three of the medallions have yet to be finalized, so they're using generic coins for the time being.

nmBhelk.png

No RPG is complete without dozens of worthless items to take up inventory space, and Storm Island will be no different. Luckily, they're getting an entire section of the inventory dedicated to them.

When I was a kid, I tried to create my own tilesets and things. I am the type of person who tries many things. I discovered that I'm no good at tilesets or interior design lol
I don't feel bad about it because I get to see people like you who do excel at it. I really enjoyed looking at your maps and things. It is very ambitious and creative. I hope to see more.

I felt the same, and to an extent it was true, when I first started. I'm not sure what happened, but something clicked and it all started to make vague sense to me. One thing I will say, though, is reference materials. I doubt I'd have been able to draw half of the stuff I've put together if I didn't have some sort of base image to look at off to the side. It really helps to visualize everything.

References are so helpful! I've been working on a webcomic, and there are things I wouldn't be able to draw if it weren't for references.
When I'm not working on that, I paint with acrylics. I have been setting up still-lifes so that I can paint from life. It has been one of the best lessons I've gotten. I used to be very stubborn about references because I felt it added another step to the creative process. Photo references are also helpful too.
Talking to you about art makes me realize how much I have changed since I made art as a teen. I don't do Pokémon art anymore, but I do like to come back to places like these for nostalgia and to see how others have enhanced their skills too.

zWQzhio.png

Been toying a bit with a surreal approach to a night sky for a few cutscenes in Storm Island. I'd say I didn't do too bad. Maybe the stars could be dimmed a bit, but overall I'm happy with what's here.

Back
Top Bottom