• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Favorite Fantasy book/book series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Septimus Heap series! The spinoff is really good, too.

The Star of the Guardians series by Margaret Weis

One of the only science fiction series not related to Star Wars that I truly found to be epic. It has a compelling story, well-made characters, and manages to be quite original despite how easy it is for sci-fi novels to mirror each other.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin easily

The Princess Bride is also excellent. It's more of an adventure book than fantasy, though.

The Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville are really good. I reread those books a lot in school.

The Lord of the Rings and related books like the Hobbit and the Silmarillion.

Books- The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Series- The Twelve Houses by Sharon Shinn, The Old Kingdom by Garth Nix, The Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier

For my part, it is A Song of Ice and Fire series (commonly known as Game of Thrones) and the Mistborn trilogy.

The Kane Chronicles trilogy is pretty awesome. Before reading these books, I thought Rick Riordan was just... Okay, as an author. Now I really like his writing style, and he tries his best to stay true to the original mythology, obviously with a modern twist of course....

The Red Pyramid, The Throne of Fire, and The Serpent's Shadow make up this great fantasy series about Egyptian mythology, which always has been pretty cool to me...

As mentioned before, The Princess Bride and Tolkien's works in general are all fantastic. However, I feel kind of sad that no one has mentioned The Blood of Olympus. I'm not too sure if they count, but Kung Fu Ferret mentioned the Kane Chronicles, so why not.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, as a starting point for Riordan, are okay, but aren't great (with the exception of the Last Olympian).

I'm not a huge book reader, but I absolutely love the Owls of GaHoole series, which I'm 99.9% sure is fantasy.

Tolkien's legendarium is my favorite, but it's also the only one I've read. Either way, it amazes me how detailed everything is, and how intentionally vague the rest is (Tom Bombadil comes to mind, as well as what lies in the east and south of Middle-earth).

My favorite story of his would probably be The Children of Húrin because it's smaller in scope than The Lord of the Rings and is more somber than The Hobbit. Granted, pretty much every tale in the legendarium is either grand or somber, but The Children of Húrin is different in that it doesn't detail an epic quest or battle (The Nirnaeth Arnoediad I take as a prologue in terms of events in the story as it doesn't have a direct relation to Túrin), has a flawed yet heroic protagonist, and does not have a happy ending like in the other tales of Middle-earth. It takes place when Morgoth is a current and tangible threat, and is a sad tale because of him though he appears briefly early in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom