• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Final Fantasy discussion thread (all games)

literally every party member my beloved...
God I'm still so new to this series but the FF7 cast has already cemented itself as one of my favorite casts of characters in all of fiction. The entire party (+ Zack ofc) is just so damn good and I adore every single one of them and I haven't even gotten around to playing Remake or Rebirth yet but I'm still very emotional about it lol (I watched a bunch of Remake cutscenes before I decided on actually playing the game for myself so I already have a feel for what they're like outside of the OG)

As a relatively long-time FFXIV player, this year I've been on a bit of a Final Fantasy binge. XIV was pretty much the only one I'd played for more than a few hours beforehand, but I decided to start off with FF7 (I'd gone through the Remake back when it came out). I really enjoyed 7, still have yet to go back and beat the superbosses, but I figured that can wait. I watched a compilation for Crisis Core so I know what that covers, and will watch Advent Children at some point.

Next I went into FFX. I like X, but I don't love it. At this point I've stalled on it - I've just reached Zanarkand Ruins and decided I needed a break. I intend to go back to it over the next few months. A large reason I pivoted off was because I wanted to play FF16 before the event runs in XIV. I've really loved 16. I'm just outside what I think is the final dungeon, and on mop up duty with side quests and hunts. I've loved the characters and I've loved the story. The gameplay has taken some getting used to but I've grown pretty fond of that too, though I don't really want it to become "the standard" for the series. I expect I'll have it finished this week. From there I might go back to 10, or get started on 13. Also would like to go through 12 at some point this year.

I stopped my subscription to FFXIV as I move. I don't know when I'll be able to get it back. Looks like I'll most definitely miss out on the new Expansion Pack for quite some time!

I did get FFXII on the Steam sale. It's weird playing a PS2 game for the first time in 2024. lol. I have very little experience with the series outside of XIV and VII Remake, I hope I end up liking it!

I did get FFXII on the Steam sale. It's weird playing a PS2 game for the first time in 2024. lol. I have very little experience with the series outside of XIV and VII Remake, I hope I end up liking it!
I feel this. I just started up Okami yesterday and the camera is janky af. But it has a certain charm to it.

I hope you like it though! Any plans on getting Rebirth? I can't remember if you have a PS5 or not.

I feel this. I just started up Okami yesterday and the camera is janky af. But it has a certain charm to it.

I hope you like it though! Any plans on getting Rebirth? I can't remember if you have a PS5 or not.

Okami is great (aside from those darn blockguy puzzles. OMG. Don't remind me anymore than I already have been! lol) and funnily enough I played it for the first time in 2018 when it released on the Switch. It's obviously dated, but the artstyle distracts enough to help mitigate that, I think.

Sadly I don't have a PS5 and don't see myself getting one at this rate. I'm waiting for the PC release of Rebirth, whenever that happens! It's saddening. Perhaps that's why I got all of these other FF games to distract me for now. lol

Sadly I don't have a PS5 and don't see myself getting one at this rate. I'm waiting for the PC release of Rebirth, whenever that happens! It's saddening. Perhaps that's why I got all of these other FF games to distract me for now. lol
Yeah, totally understandable. There's really not much reason to get a PS5 at the moment. Not a lot of exclusives.

Yeah, totally understandable. There's really not much reason to get a PS5 at the moment. Not a lot of exclusives.
Ironically I bought a PS5 so I could play P5R, which ended up releasing on Switch the year after I got it. Which was also the year my brother pawned me his PS4. So it ended up being a bit of a waste in the beginning...
I did get me the enhanced PS5 versions of a couple games though (SFVI, GG-ST-, GBFVR, KOFXV, etc), which was nice. And I think I would have gone insane if I couldn't get Tekken 8 and Rebirth within the first week of release because I am very spoiled, so it definitely paid off.

If you're not extremely devoted to fighting games, though, it might not be the most important investment...

I've only played games in the FF7 subseries. Unacceptable, I know. I've been trying to get into other games in the series, but I just haven't had the time yet. Planning to tackle FF1, FF9, and FF16 relatively soon though.

Oh yeah, and FF7 Rebirth. Very excited for that game.

I have played several Final Fantasy games (IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, XV), but I left all of them halfway through, most of them even before reaching the middle of the story. The only one I managed to complete was FF VII Remake, which was a fantastic game and exceeded my expectations. It got me really excited for Rebirth, which is going to be an open-world game.

That being said, Dragon Quest XI rules them all.

Last edited:
as big of a fan i am of the final fantasy as a series... admittedly, i've only played a few.
  • xiv (up to endwalker)
  • ffx
  • ffx-2
  • world of final fantasy
  • final fantasy: crisis core reunion
i just... haven't really had the time (especially with my backlog being as massive as it is) to really play and experience other FF games. @_@ i do plan on doing so in the future once i clear up enough of my backlog, but i don't think that's going to be anytime soon.

Ironically I bought a PS5 so I could play P5R, which ended up releasing on Switch the year after I got it. Which was also the year my brother pawned me his PS4. So it ended up being a bit of a waste in the beginning...
I did get me the enhanced PS5 versions of a couple games though (SFVI, GG-ST-, GBFVR, KOFXV, etc), which was nice. And I think I would have gone insane if I couldn't get Tekken 8 and Rebirth within the first week of release because I am very spoiled, so it definitely paid off.

If you're not extremely devoted to fighting games, though, it might not be the most important investment...
That's a good point - the PS5 is a killer console for fighting games, exclusives and not.

But it does have its fair share of RPGs that are console exclusives as well, so if you're not a PC gamer like me, it's still worth it. Especially because I didn't own a PS4, a PS5 was a logical investment to get the newest games as well as all the great games that came out for the previous generation of consoles that I never experienced.

I have played several Final Fantasy games (IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, XV), but I left all of them halfway through, most of them even before reaching the middle of the story. The only one I managed to complete was the remake of VII, which was a fantastic game and exceeded my expectations. It got me really excited for Rebirth, which is going to be an open-world game.

That being said, Dragon Quest XI rules them all.
Rebirth is out now! The open world elements are the weakest part of the game so far, for me personally. They're not bad, just very...standard.

DQ11 is a game that I've almost started numerous times, but backed off for one reason or another. I might get to it this year, we'll see. It might have to fight with Octopath Traveler 2 for time in my Switch's game card slot.

final fantasy: crisis core reunion
Whoa, you've played Crisis Core but never played FF7?

DQ11 is a game that I've almost started numerous times, but backed off for one reason or another. I might get to it this year, we'll see. It might have to fight with Octopath Traveler 2 for time in my Switch's game card slot.

it's a game that requires preparation, like it consumed over 150 hours of my time.

Back
Top Bottom