• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Event Flowering Love ~ Spring 2024 Shipping One-Shot Competition

...hi!

May I join too ^^
Of course! Buuuuut we might need you to judge as well with the amount of entries we might get, Hydro!! LMAO

But I can ask you that elsewhere, no pressure if not anyways! You've been added to the list o77

I might end up hating myself for this later on down the line but! I have an idea that's starting to take shape inside my head and I want to have some deadline pressure for it. Although I'm DEFINITELY not going to hit the 10,000 word mark, it'll still be something!
As for who I'm writing about, I think the title of the competition should be a decent hint for one of the two involved.

As a reminder, tomorrow (March 31st) is the final day to register as a participant! If you've been considering it, now's your last chance.

And to those of you who have already signed up... what are you doing reading this?! Get writing!! And good luck!

Registration is closed! New
Sign-ups are now officially closed — there's approximately five weeks left until the deadline, so focus up!

Of course, you all may feel free to discuss your progress here in this thread. :staryu:

I finished my plot outline after having the "skeleton" done for a while (I figured out the general plot and sequence of events, but over the weekend I finally laid out all of the minor details and the full content of the fic), so all that's left is to write it!

Issue is, it's far more ridiculous upon further review than I intended it to be... I was aiming for a more serious, less shitposty approach than my previous one-shot but the premise is so goofy I'm afraid the fic just won't turn out well if I try to act like it's realistic.

So I briefly considered going the full mile and making the narration equally stupid, but that tone really would not fit the characters involved... maybe I just fear going for that approach again because of how incomplete the last one was LOL. (I'll probably rewrite that sometime, come to think of it.)

It's possible I'm just being hard on myself, though. Both of my major WIPs are centered around crackships between characters that are brought together by some kind of unlikely scenario, yet are being written as canon-compliant as the subject matter lets them be, and frankly I didn't think twice about it until now. So this shouldn't be much different... yet I suppose the others are being written mostly for fun while this is for a competition, haha, so perhaps I'm just putting my work under (appropriately) harsher scrutiny than the norm.

(I'm not sure if the main ship in this work is a crackship or not, frankly. It's not very popular as far as I can tell, which is very surprising to me because of how popular they are as characters as well as them knowing each other (definitely in MEx, maybe in canon) and having pretty decent chemistry. Heck, I can't even recall what their ship name is (if they have one... Surely they MUST have one, right?!)...)

Eh. I do have a backup in mind in case I decide to scrap this one for the time being... featuring a probably even less-followed ship but with a significantly more realistic premise.

No matter which one I end up springing for, all I know I can do is put my whole heart into it. :enzap:

probably a bit of a silly question but once the event is finished and we've published our fics on here will we be allowed to cross-post it to other sites like ao3 or ff.net?
I’m pretty sure yes? I think someone asked this and the answer was yes as long as it also goes on bulba

probably a bit of a silly question but once the event is finished and we've published our fics on here will we be allowed to cross-post it to other sites like ao3 or ff.net?
Yup, that's perfectly fine! Once you post it here, you can upload it wherever else you like.

As for me, I'm at 1.5k — I've mapped out the most important story beats, gotta start filling out the rest. I've got a bad habit of everything I write accidentally turning into a slowburn though, so for now I'm setting a personal word cap at 5k to prevent myself from getting carried away like last time.

My adherence to the theme also feels like it's kind of all over the place (I picked New Life), but hopefully it tracks while reading it. ^^;

so far i have 1.5k words, and it's only the introduction lol... i'm a little worried about how long it'll end up being, because i have an awful tendency to be far too verbose, and my pov character (it's not in first person) is an even worse criminal than me... i'm also kinda concerned about the writing seeming weirdly pretentious (part of the writing style has been influenced by stuff i have been reading recently and the other part is because i feel like my pov character would talk very fancy) and also about it being too rambling and aimless. i'm hoping it clears up once i write more, because again i've only written the introduction. i keep wanting to show it to people and ask about it all i'm so nervous...

I haven’t started yet, but been sort of mapping out my ideas in my brain. The only issue is my bad habit (and enjoyment) of slowburn plots, especially in ship writing, so this one’s gonna be a hurdle for me LOL. I just hope my writing will sound authentic enough for the ship!

i'm also kinda concerned about the writing seeming weirdly pretentious (part of the writing style has been influenced by stuff i have been reading recently and the other part is because i feel like my pov character would talk very fancy)
as someone who has a habit for writing pretentious because I write so verbose, you got this, and I don’t think it’ll be seen as too much. Everyone has their own tone when writing and that’s not a bad thing! Especially if it fits what tone you want the scene to have!

I finally started it! I got the first part down yesterday (but you could tell it was written by a half asleep Lissi lol) but I did some editing for it just now. About to start the second bit. I like to write something, wait a day (ish), then edit because then I’ve had enough time away from it to get some good edits heheh

That deadline felt so far away when we were planning this contest out...

It's been one week since sign-ups closed, everyone — how're you doing so far? I myself have not gotten any planning done:confused: but that is mostly because I want to explore using different characters than I usually do, and I just haven't gotten around to figuring out who would work well! But mark my words, I'll get around to writing something nice very soon...

On a more personal note, I'm quite happy to see that we have so many entrants here! I'll be reading through each and every entry to leave reviews, so I hope to see as many of you post as you can when the time comes! :enzap:

Back
Top Bottom