• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen. 2 starters popularity

Did the show have a Gen. 2 fully evolved starter Pokémon that was marketed the most?

• Total voters

Pattyman

Utopian
Reaction score
Did Generation II have a fully evolved starter Pokémon that was marketed the most on the show? Gen. 1 had Charizard, Gen. 3 was a tie between Sceptile and Blaziken, Gen. 4 had Infernape, Gen. 5 had Serperior, and Gen. 6 had Greninja. Gen. 7 didn't reveal one yet. Also, both Ash and Dawn owned a Quilava that didn't evolve into Typhlosion and Ash owned a Bayleef that didn't evolve into Meganium.

Unfortunately the Gen 2 starters over the years have not had nearly the notoriety and merchandise as others have. Even at the time, while they had their spot light, it wasn't as heavy as Gen 1's and later gens starters definitely got more exposure during their time.

I remember getting achool supplies in 5th and 6th grade when GSC were in full swing and remember seeing folders that had the Johto starters on them......and the Kanto ones. Which pretty much sums up how it was

Cyndaquil and Chikorita/Bayleef were equals in Johto, and the former evolving in DP cemented that. Totodile was shafted, but it is so full of personality that I like it the best anyway.

You can't really say that any of the fully evolved Johto starters was promoted much. But if anything, Typhlosion's role in the Raikou special is more memorable than the smaller roles Feraligatr and Meganium were given over the years.

Well...It's a special, not officially part of the show. But "You can't really say that any of the fully evolved Johto starters was promoted much" is probably right answer.

It's either Feraligatr or Meganium.
Feraligatr and Meganium didn't get that many non-major appearances in the anime from what I could tell, even in DP when the writers had plenty of opportunity to showcase them (and Typhlosion) since Generation II was getting remakes. Typhlosion was in the worst condition as its only appearances (save for the special) were in the Advanced Generation series and Typhlosion hasn't appeared since then.

Typhlosion is the starter which is on track to be the starter with the he least anime appearances and the only starter to never appear in a movie (excluding Alola Starters, but even Incineroar is appearing in M-20).

Meganium was the most marketed since Meganium got many roles during Johto. And Casey (is the the name?) showcased the chicorita line's evolutions well. Cyndaquil got no such treatment (other than Ash's sudden desire to evolve cyndaquil which he was lazy enough to skip till DP, and even then, TR did most of the levelling up for Cyndaquil ) and neither did totodile as I am aware.

The problem with Gen 2 is that the new Pokémon were shoved to the sidelines; an awful lot of Gen 2 Pokémon have a 1% encounter rate in one location in GS, which wasn't changed in the remakes, and a non-Porygon Pokémon (Togetic) didn't appear in the anime until the next generation.

That being said, if I didn't know any better, I'd think that Porygon2's absence from the anime (I KNOW the reason; PLEASE don't remind me) was just Gen 2 being Gen 2.

Bakuphoon seems to be the most marketed I guess? I always thought of them to be the most boring out of all regions, and Gen 2 was shadowed a lot by Gen 1, like someone said?

Bakuphoon seems to be the most marketed I guess? I always thought of them to be the most boring out of all regions, and Gen 2 was shadowed a lot by Gen 1, like someone said?

Typhlosion is on the record for being the starter with least anime appearances, barring the Alola Starters, and the only starter to not appear in a movie, also barring Alola Starters, but Incineroar is also in a movie..

I feel that generation 8 games and anime may introduce their mega evolutions and maybe Ash will get 3 strong rivals with those, a companion with one or self one?

Or he could get a mega, there is no reference that you can have more then 1 mega, only one mega on your current team of 6 on hand, this way he could get in future more.

With generation 4 remakes this starts to make interesting sense.

I think it's possible to get new megas still. I believe they didn't introduce any in SM since there were many new features introduced already and they didn't want them to distract and detract from what's new. That said, I don't think the gen 2 starters will be getting any. Exclusive Z-moves for them at best if they ever get anything.

Pokémon boss explains why Sun and Moon sideline Mega Evolution

Each time we make a new game, we think of particular theme and of particular elements that would work well with that game," Masuda replied when asked if Mega Evolution might return. "This time we have our Z-moves [but] if a game comes up in future that we think [Mega Evolutions] would work really well with, certainly we'll look into it... But for the minute we don't have any particular plans."

Unfortunately the Gen 2 starters over the years have not had nearly the notoriety and merchandise as others have. Even at the time, while they had their spot light, it wasn't as heavy as Gen 1's and later gens starters definitely got more exposure during their time.
Pretty much this. The issue is that the original games and Gold/Silver were so closely bound together that there was no opportunity for the Gen2 starters to really have their own spotlight. The closest we came was Casey's Meganium among the recurring characters, the the Quilava that Ash and Dawn both had later on.

None of them were showcased like later Starters. This is because Johto was seen more of like a sequel and continuation of Kanto, in both the anime and games. In the anime especially, Ash still relied on his Kanto team for a lot of battles and they all still received quite a bit of screen-time outside their original region. Thus, the Johto starters were more like fun DLC rather than a subsequent entry like later starters.

I think it kind of fits them a bit, in a way though. They're all (and currently the only trio of final evolution starters) simply monotyped and hail from the quaint and relatively quiet Johto region. Given their origins, maybe it makes sense they aren't as notable as their starter brethren.

The Gen2 starters weren't promoted much. The Chikorita family is probably the most famous out of the three, but mostly because it is notorious for being a horrible starter in the Johto games.

Last edited:
a remake is very posible with megas, new game probably only if there will be past generation starters in it.

Purity? I though that they want a water/dragon and next in line would be Ferraligatar.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom