• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation General Remake Discussion

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
This thread is a thread for speculation and discussion about remakes, primarily gens 9 and 10
Some possible ideas:
Unova remakes?
Let's go Johto?
Legends (insert mythical Pokemon here)?
SINNOH CONFIRMED AGAIN!!!11!!1!?
Try not to think too far ahead into the future, but if you have specific speculation for a more recent gen remake, feel free to talk about that.

I personally am quite excited to see some regions (hopefully) converted to open world. This would be very interesting and make for a completely different gameplay experience. However, it would be very taxing to make different area blocked off, when there would be no natural way to do this.

Anyway, have fun!

I will feel old when a remake of white and black comes out since those are the last games of pokemon I ever played, I felt dissapointed by the game and stopped buying new games and consoles. I just kept playing my old games.

As long as ILCA doesn't make the BW remake I'm happy. I also would prefer a remake of BW1 rather than BW2. Not sure what story elements they could add since BW1 already has a good plot. Personally I think BW2's plot was kind of unnecessary and arguably undercuts the emotion since BW1 already had the perfect ending.

I think there's three possibilities for the next games:

Black Fire and White Thunder (fire and thunder are the elements of the box legendary dragons), which would simply have B2W2's additional areas (including an updated PWT using gym leaders and champions from all nine regions, which would be relocated so as not to override Cold Storage) as post-game content (that would include Pokestar Studios as well, and the poison and water gyms - though Cheren's gym wouldn't yet exist, his Normal typing is a duplicate anyway).

Let's Go Johto (not sure who the starters should be though).

Legends Mew (set in Kanto) or Legends Rayquaza (set in Hoenn).

This thread is a thread for speculation and discussion about remakes, primarily gens 9 and 10
Some possible ideas:
Unova remakes?
Let's go Johto?
Legends (insert mythical Pokemon here)?
SINNOH CONFIRMED AGAIN!!!11!!1!?
Try not to think too far ahead into the future, but if you have specific speculation for a more recent gen remake, feel free to talk about that.

I personally am quite excited to see some regions (hopefully) converted to open world. This would be very interesting and make for a completely different gameplay experience. However, it would be very taxing to make different area blocked off, when there would be no natural way to do this.

Anyway, have fun!

Now... looking at the current Timeline for Pokemon, with a new generation every 3 years and a possible SV remake in 2023... i can actually see this happening, since i expect only 1 SV DLC this time.
Summer 2023: New Spin-Off game/remake of an older spin-off title (Like Ranger, DP, BR, Colleusum, MD)
Late 2023: SV DLC
Early 2024: Lets Go Johto/Johto remakes (I feel like Lets Go is more likely than actual remakes, since Johto already got its remakes)
December 2024/January 2025: Legends Johto (December-January will also be an appprox 3 year gap between Legends games). I am think Johto... since it only makes sense to have Legends Johto after we got Legends Arceus.

And even if we get 2 DLC for SV... they can give us September/October 2023 and the other one if January/February 2024, with Lets Go Johto in May/June 2025.

I feel like we will not be getting any remakes in Generation 9. I noticed that remakes usually tend to either happen double the generation number or when a new console comes out. For main games anyway. LGPE being an exception. These games probably weren't meant to exist and were only made because Pokemon Go exploded.

By generation 10, we'll be on a new console I'm 100% sure that's when we'll get Unova remakes. I definitely never want to see a Let's Go game ever again, though.

What I really is remakes of other spinoff games like Pokemon Ranger. It's time. But, I guess that's up to whether Hal Laboratory would want to do something like that. We really need something to bring spinoffs back into relevancy again. We're getting so little spinoff games these days. 2022 was the first year we got absolutely no spinoff games that were new not even a new mobile game. It's very weird and it's time for them to try again with them.

Ok, so my Speculation is about what I would like to see in a Unova Region game, particularly with the Gym situation, mostly a combination of BW & BW2. Let's begin with what I would like to see.
-Starting location doesn't matter, either Nuvema Town or Aspertia City.
-Player has option for all 11 Gyms.

-If you begin in Nuvema, the first Gym you face would be Striaton. If you begin in Aspertia, the first Gym would be Aspertia. For the 2nd Gym, if you started in Nuvema, you would face Lenora, while if you started in Aspertia, you would face Roxie. For the 3rd Gym, you would face Burgh.
-At this point, the paths could diverge.
From Castelia:
If on the Nuvema Route, you could travel west, to battle Roxie, who would be between Burgh & Elesa's Levels, and eventually take on Cheren in Aspertia, who would take you on "to see how skilled you are", but wouldn't give you a Badge, since the Badge is the same for both Gyms. From there, you would head to Elesa.
If on the Aspertia Route, you could travel east, to see Lenora, who would be interested in "the research from Western Unova", but wouldn't give you a Badge and arrive in Striaton City, where you can battle the brothers, who would be between Burgh & Elesa in Levels. To test your strength, you would face all 3 brothers. your movement in southeastern Unova would end at Nuvema Town. From there, you would head to Elesa.

-Elesa, Clay, & Skyla would be the same for both routes. After Skyla, you would have Lentimas Town & Twist Mountain. From there, regardless, you would face down Brycen for the Freeze Badge. You would go after Drayden and then Marlon. That would get you all badges (10), and put the Elite Four as a even grater challenge, maybe somewhere in the high 50's to early 60's, with Iris still being the Champion.

What do you guys think? Would you play a game like this?

i 'unno if it's me, but i'm feeling a bit burnt out on remakes atm.

it was nice going through sinnoh again, but i don't know if i'd feel the excitement and wonder going through unova and then kalos and then alola way in the future. i wouldn't mind it, but after sinnoh i'd rather game freak chill on remakes for now. maybe go down the legends: arceus path for other regions and make them have a bit more lore and depth to them, as i think that would more interesting, imo.

Now... looking at the current Timeline for Pokemon, with a new generation every 3 years and a possible SV remake in 2023... i can actually see this happening, since i expect only 1 SV DLC this time.
Summer 2023: New Spin-Off game/remake of an older spin-off title (Like Ranger, DP, BR, Colleusum, MD)
Late 2023: SV DLC
Early 2024: Lets Go Johto/Johto remakes (I feel like Lets Go is more likely than actual remakes, since Johto already got its remakes)
December 2024/January 2025: Legends Johto (December-January will also be an appprox 3 year gap between Legends games). I am think Johto... since it only makes sense to have Legends Johto after we got Legends Arceus.

And even if we get 2 DLC for SV... they can give us September/October 2023 and the other one if January/February 2024, with Lets Go Johto in May/June 2025.
I think that there won't be any more Let's Go titles. I believe that it was a one-off designed primarily to cash in on Pokemon GO's success by heavily modifying the gameplay to make it feel more like GO. Of course Kanto was chosen as the setting because it's the original and most iconic region.

I'm guessing next year we do get Unova remakes from ILCA. With the possibility of Gens 1-3 on the NSO, I don't think they want to make a Johto game right now and simply offer GSC for those that want to revisit Johto. Instead, they remake Unova, having the remakes of both DS gens on the same console and giving the Switch access to every mainline region except Kalos and Alola.

Given how ORAS, LGPE, and BDSP have turned out though, I think they'll end up being disappointing. No BW2 content whatsoever except for the added forms (i.e. Black/White Kyurem, Therian form Forces of Nature, Resolute form Keldeo, Pirouette Form Meloetta, etc.). None of the BW2 areas, none of the BW2 story elements, none of older Pokemon added to the Unova Dex (maaybe we'll be able to catch BW2 Unova Dex Pokemon in through some new mechanic in Entree Forest similar to how Platinum Dex Pokemon are in the Grand Underground). Just regular old BW1 pretty much. I'm even questioning if we'll get the full 649 Pokemon from the 5th gen National Dex, will they even bother to include that many Pokemon in the game or will they just say screw it and only allow us access to BW2's 300 for the entire game, sinking these games down to a totally new level of barebones and disappointing? Seriously feels like there is no floor with these remakes and I can't say I'm remotely excited. I hated almost everything about BW1, while BW2's changes made Unova far more palatable, so I would be avoiding a game like this like the plague.

Meanwhile, is Game Freak going to make a Legends Unova or some other spiritual successor to LA? That's the game I'd really be excited for, and I think that's where we should be shifting our expectations. The one that isn't afraid to change and adapt to modern game conventions instead of being a glorified copy/paste job with an HD coat of paint. The BDSP/LA dual pronged strategy was a great one and I hope they repeat it with Unova, I'm far more interested in exploring a modern open world Unova with tons of old and new Pokemon than a faithfully recreated one that was and still would be heavily restricted and archaic.

I'm guessing next year we do get Unova remakes from ILCA. With the possibility of Gens 1-3 on the NSO, I don't think they want to make a Johto game right now and simply offer GSC for those that want to revisit Johto. Instead, they remake Unova, having the remakes of both DS gens on the same console and giving the Switch access to every mainline region except Kalos and Alola.

Given how ORAS, LGPE, and BDSP have turned out though, I think they'll end up being disappointing. No BW2 content whatsoever except for the added forms (i.e. Black/White Kyurem, Therian form Forces of Nature, Resolute form Keldeo, Pirouette Form Meloetta, etc.). None of the BW2 areas, none of the BW2 story elements, none of older Pokemon added to the Unova Dex (maaybe we'll be able to catch BW2 Unova Dex Pokemon in through some new mechanic in Entree Forest similar to how Platinum Dex Pokemon are in the Grand Underground). Just regular old BW1 pretty much. I'm even questioning if we'll get the full 649 Pokemon from the 5th gen National Dex, will they even bother to include that many Pokemon in the game or will they just say screw it and only allow us access to BW2's 300 for the entire game, sinking these games down to a totally new level of barebones and disappointing? Seriously feels like there is no floor with these remakes and I can't say I'm remotely excited. I hated almost everything about BW1, while BW2's changes made Unova far more palatable, so I would be avoiding a game like this like the plague.

Meanwhile, is Game Freak going to make a Legends Unova or some other spiritual successor to LA? That's the game I'd really be excited for, and I think that's where we should be shifting our expectations. The one that isn't afraid to change and adapt to modern game conventions instead of being a glorified copy/paste job with an HD coat of paint. The BDSP/LA dual pronged strategy was a great one and I hope they repeat it with Unova, I'm far more interested in exploring a modern open world Unova with tons of old and new Pokemon than a faithfully recreated one that was and still would be heavily restricted and archaic.

We ain't getting Unova remakes until gen 10 on its earliest, since 1. Remakes always skip a generation. 2. Remakes are always on a new console so far.

I hope that Johto does get a remake/reimagining in some form. I’d rather have that over a Unova remake. From my perspective, the Unova games weren’t exactly hindered by the graphics while I think Johto in HGSS was.

If they did reimagine Johto, I’d be very interesting to see it in the future. Reimagining a Pokémon game doesn’t mean it has to be in the past. You might not even have to change the time. You could reimagine it into a dystopian world or a post apocalyptic world or just a reimagining of “modern” Johto. Even if the next “Legends” is in the past, I doubt it’ll disappoint.

We ain't getting Unova remakes until gen 10 on its earliest, since 1. Remakes always skip a generation. 2. Remakes are always on a new console so far.
This might change due to third versions being rendered obsolete and replaced with DLC. Also, number 1 isn't exactly true. If you count LGPE as a remake, than every gen since Gen 3 with the exception of Gen 5 has had at least one remake.

Gen 3: FRLG
Gen 4: HGSS
Gen 6: ORAS
Gen 7: LGPE
Gen 8: BDSP

Even if you don't count BDSP as a remake the first point isn't exactly true as they didn't skip a generation between FRLG and HGSS. Also, if you count LGPE as a remake than the second point is false as both LGPE and BDSP were on the Switch.

False. We had back to back generations with remakes in Gens 3 and 4, and the Switch was hardly new when BDSP came out (BDSP wasn't even the first remake on the Switch, that was LGPE). There is nothing saying they have to wait until Gen 10 for Unova remakes. If they want them now, they can easily do them now.

False. We had back to back generations with remakes in Gens 3 and 4, and the Switch was hardly new when BDSP came out (BDSP wasn't even the first remake on the Switch, that was LGPE). There is nothing saying they have to wait until Gen 10 for Unova remakes. If they want them now, they can easily do them now.

LGPE wasn't a remake though, since it had different game mechanics (Catching, not battling wild mons).

LGPE wasn't a remake though, since it had different game mechanics (Catching, not battling wild mons).

The rest of the gameplay, the region and map design, story, and characters were mostly the same. And Game Freak blatantly considers it a Yellow remake.

Honestly, with Legends Arceus being a prequel to the Sinnoh games (or a sequel to DP and BDSP, then a prequel to Platinum according to a theory I have in mind), I want them to explore sequels that take place 10 or more years in the future for once. A BW3 is what I want the most really since far future sequels were never really explored, which I kind of expect Game Freak to do eventually. Imagine a cyborg Ghetsis returning to cause trouble once again, being forced to become a cyborg due to him not being able to do anything as a pure human after his outburst from being defeated in BW2. Plus it would bring so many Pokemon from Gen 6 onwards to add to the availability. Another benefit of a sequel rather than a remake is that they can completely avoid needing to smash certain bits and pieces of BW and BW2 together.

If not a BW3, then I would be satisfied with a Legends game, which I would equally prefer given it's not tied down to needing two versions of itself.

Also, in terms of when we will see the Gen 5 remakes/sequels/prequels, I expect that they will be on the Switch, even if Nintendo is close to being finished making their next system. Pokemon is known to be late to the party in the early years of a Nintendo system.

Last edited:
I have a few thoughts on the lets go and legends situation

LG: While it makes sense as a means of making older generations more accessible to newer players, there are several problems. As the number of available Pokemon would increase each new generation, it would have to be decided whether to allow previous gen pokemon would be allowed. Maybe only those necessary for new evos/baby forms? Not sure. In addition, the main reason the Lets Go even exists is the massive popularity of Pokemon go. As that has died down in recent years, would there still be enough interest in the catching central mechanic? Just some thoughts

Legends: I have seen much content across the interwebs about what legends game might be coming in 2024 or how LA the absolute best game in the franchise. But is it really a new part of the generation cycle? I kinda almost see it akin to a spin off game (albeit a beefy and grand spinoff game), with different mechanics and an unconventional story. If it is consider a main series game, then why is it the first ever that came without one or two counterparts? While I think that some more legends games could be fun (personal vote is towards roaring 20s unova), this might be a once every few generation thing.

If you don’t consider it a remake, it’s kind of hard to explain what it is then. It isn’t really a reimagining because the locations are the same except for some changes and graphics. It also can’t really be considered a “spin-off” because it’s heavily based off of the original red and blue game. (Same locations in the same condition, same gym leaders)

Aside from the let’s go mechanics and lack of postgame, LGPE is the superior version of Red and Blue. But in all honesty, when looking at the game, the let’s go mechanics don’t destroy the game for me.

If we do get a Johto remake, we’re better off not having it be a let’s go game probably.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom