• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation General Remake Discussion

I have a lot in my mind. PWT expansion, Pokemons gen 6 and up added, phenomenon party in pwt, Certain gym leaders and bosses using mega evolution z move gigantamax terra evolve phenomenon, Instead of the 4th to 8th gym leader having 3 Pokemons they'll have 4. And as for BW 1, it will be a DLC

I have a lot in my mind. PWT expansion, Pokemons gen 6 and up added, phenomenon party in pwt, Certain gym leaders and bosses using mega evolution z move gigantamax terra evolve phenomenon, Instead of the 4th to 8th gym leader having 3 Pokemons they'll have 4. And as for BW 1, it will be a DLC

looks at LGPE and BDSP

Yeeeaaahhh, you're going to be disappointed.

looks at LGPE and BDSP

Yeeeaaahhh, you're going to be disappointed.
Especially since they got rid of Mega Evolutions, Z-moves and Dynamax. Z-moves was just for Alola, Megas for Gen 6-7, Dmax and such for Gen 8 (Galar) and Teras for Gen 9 (Paldea). BDSP doesn’t include Gen 5 and on Pokémon and LGPE has just Gen 1 with some Alola Pokémon and the misplaced Alola Meltan/Melmetal.

LGPE has just Gen 1 with some Alola Pokémon

Not even Alola Pokemon (i.e. new Gen 7 families, like Pikipek and Yungoos). Just Alola forms of Gen 1 Pokemon. LGPE just has the original 151 + Meltan and Melmetal.

It feels like a pretty safe bet that no further remakes will include Pokemon from successive generations to the original gens (i.e. BW remakes won't include Pokemon from 6th gen on, XY remakes won't include Pokemon from 7th gen on, etc.) and they won't include the remake generation's burst gimmick (maybe not even a burst gimmick period unless the original game had one).

Not even Alola Pokemon (i.e. new Gen 7 families, like Pikipek and Yungoos). Just Alola forms of Gen 1 Pokemon. LGPE just has the original 151 + Meltan and Melmetal.

It feels like a pretty safe bet that no further remakes will include Pokemon from successive generations to the original gens (i.e. BW remakes won't include Pokemon from 6th gen on, XY remakes won't include Pokemon from 7th gen on, etc.) and they won't include the remake generation's burst gimmick (maybe not even a burst gimmick period unless the original game had one).
We don't know if all future remakes are gonna be like BDSP. BDSP wasn't even made by Game Freak and was treated as a side project to the main course that was Legends Arceus. We don't know if they're gonna do that for all future remakes.

We don't know if all future remakes are gonna be like BDSP. BDSP wasn't even made by Game Freak and was treated as a side project to the main course that was Legends Arceus. We don't know if they're gonna do that for all future remakes.
I don’t think they will. BDSP (while I do like it for all but the artstyle) looks kinda ugly in my book, maybe GF learned a lesson before handing it off to ILCA or something? (Yeah I know, I’m flaming, see you in a few months)

The remakes have been heading in this direction for a while, they've been continually degrading in content since ORAS. BDSP's problems aren't unique to itself or ILCA, LGPE had similar problems (and while ORAS itself didn't have those issues specifically, the lack of third version content did signal that they didn't want to put a lot of effort into making remakes definitive versions of the games that surpass what the originals did, so I think we can kind of count ORAS too). This is more of a problem with Pokemon remakes altogether. So while we can't say for 100% certain that future remakes are going to be BDSP-esque, between the sample size we have of remakes having similar issues and the reasons why they might not want to fix those issues (reasons such as Dexit, profitability, and nostalgia), I'm about 90% certain the next remakes will indeed be like BDSP.

The remakes have been heading in this direction for a while, they've been continually degrading in content since ORAS. BDSP's problems aren't unique to itself or ILCA, LGPE had similar problems (and while ORAS itself didn't have those issues specifically, the lack of third version content did signal that they didn't want to put a lot of effort into making remakes definitive versions of the games that surpass what the originals did, so I think we can kind of count ORAS too). This is more of a problem with Pokemon remakes altogether. So while we can't say for 100% certain that future remakes are going to be BDSP-esque, between the sample size we have of remakes having similar issues and the reasons why they might not want to fix those issues (reasons such as Dexit, profitability, and nostalgia), I'm about 90% certain the next remakes will indeed be like BDSP.
In that case, I won’t be buying BW remakes anytime soon

Sure, ORAS didn't have Emerald content, but it did add a lot of content to the game. There was the DexNav, the Delta Episode, Mega Evolutions (with plenty of new ones too), the ability to have both bikes at once, the Mirage Islands, Soaring, and more. BDSP was basically treated as a side project with little effort because of Legends Arceus existing. Unless we're getting another Legends game (or something similar to it) I'm not expecting the next remakes to be like BDSP.

Sure, ORAS didn't have Emerald content, but it did add a lot of content to the game. There was the DexNav, the Delta Episode, Mega Evolutions (with plenty of new ones too), the ability to have both bikes at once, the Mirage Islands, Soaring, and more. BDSP was basically treated as a side project with little effort because of Legends Arceus existing.

You're not seeing the larger picture here and the general trends that have been occurring with remakes. The content and general level of effort has been continually decreasing starting with ORAS. Look at what happened from HGSS to BDSP:

HGSS: Tons of new content plus most of Crystal's content, full 4th gen National Dex, 4th gen art style
ORAS: Tons of new content but no Emerald content, full 6th gen National Dex, 6th gen art style
LGPE: Minimal new content, only 1st gen Pokemon + Alola forms and 2 new Mythicals, modern art style (doesn't really fit SM or SwSh but it's at least comparable to those games)
BDSP: Minimal new content, only 4th gen National Dex, chibi artstyle that resembles the original 4th gen games and looks nothing like SwSh

There's been an overall decrease here. Yes, there's a significant difference between ORAS and BDSP, but with the LGPE step in between you can see how we got there.

Unless we're getting another Legends game (or something similar to it) I'm not expecting the next remakes to be like BDSP.

This is more likely. I don't think Game Freak is interested in doing remakes anymore and thinks they're too limiting. There are multiple limitations with remakes that seem to be holding Game Freak back from doing what they want to do and so they want to "move on" from remakes. Most notably there seems to be an unwritten rule that remakes can't have many new Pokemon. Notice how we've never gotten a remake with a significant dex expansion comparable to what we've gotten in some third versions like Platinum, BW2, or USUM. We've had a few where they throw in a handful of cross gen evos, but that's it. They seem to feel like too many new Pokemon ruins the nostalgia so they've mainly restricted themselves to the original roster, at best opening things up to the full National Dex (when Dexit wasn't a thing) in the post game. A roster like the kind we got in LA, with multiple cross gen evos and Hisuian variants and other new Pokemon like Enamorous? They seem to feel like that's too much for a remake. And Game Freak wants to do more of that now, you can see that with how every game since USUM except BDSP has at least some new Pokemon, not just the new generation games. New games in old regions also lets them experiment with things such as new battle gimmicks/styles, new areas, new stories, new characters. If Game Freak had just worked on an ORAS-esque DP remake they wouldn't have been able to do even half of the things they did in LA. I think they feel too restricted by the remakes' need to stick to the original formula instead of a more modernized experience. Hence I think they've "moved on" from remakes and want to do more reimaginings like LA. There's still a need for remakes for those that were too young to experience the original, but they don't seem to want to be the ones to do that, so they outsourced it to ILCA and wanted to do their own thing.

HGSS: Tons of new content plus most of Crystal's content, full 4th gen National Dex, 4th gen art style
ORAS: Tons of new content but no Emerald content, full 6th gen National Dex, 6th gen art style
LGPE: Minimal new content, only 1st gen Pokemon + Alola forms and 2 new Mythicals, modern art style (doesn't really fit SM or SwSh but it's at least comparable to those games)
BDSP: Minimal new content, only 4th gen National Dex, chibi artstyle that resembles the original 4th gen games and looks nothing like SwSh
I saw something that showed what BDSP would look like in SwSh artstyle
This is more likely. I don't think Game Freak is interested in doing remakes anymore and thinks they're too limiting. There are multiple limitations with remakes that seem to be holding Game Freak back from doing what they want to do and so they want to "move on" from remakes. Most notably there seems to be an unwritten rule that remakes can't have many new Pokemon.
Oh, how I wonder what that unwritten rule is.
Notice how we've never gotten a remake with a significant dex expansion comparable to what we've gotten in some third versions like Platinum, BW2, or USUM.
…BW2 isn’t even a third version, they’re just BW sequels that replaced the third version (“Pokémon Gray”). USUM is basically SM but better, I still like the original SM tho
And true
If Game Freak had just worked on an ORAS-esque DP remake they wouldn't have been able to do even half of the things they did in LA.
That’s true, and many people probably wouldn’t have bought LA.
I think they feel too restricted by the remakes' need to stick to the original formula instead of a more modernized experience. Hence I think they've "moved on" from remakes and want to do more reimaginings like LA. There's still a need for remakes for those that were too young to experience the original, but they don't seem to want to be the ones to do that, so they outsourced it to ILCA and wanted to do their own thing.
I’m gonna be scared and mad if I find out ILCA’s handling the BW remakes.

You're not seeing the larger picture here and the general trends that have been occurring with remakes. The content and general level of effort has been continually decreasing starting with ORAS. Look at what happened from HGSS to BDSP:

There's been an overall decrease here. Yes, there's a significant difference between ORAS and BDSP, but with the LGPE step in between you can see how we got there.

This is more likely. I don't think Game Freak is interested in doing remakes anymore and thinks they're too limiting. There are multiple limitations with remakes that seem to be holding Game Freak back from doing what they want to do and so they want to "move on" from remakes. Most notably there seems to be an unwritten rule that remakes can't have many new Pokemon. Notice how we've never gotten a remake with a significant dex expansion comparable to what we've gotten in some third versions like Platinum, BW2, or USUM. We've had a few where they throw in a handful of cross gen evos, but that's it. They seem to feel like too many new Pokemon ruins the nostalgia so they've mainly restricted themselves to the original roster, at best opening things up to the full National Dex (when Dexit wasn't a thing) in the post game. A roster like the kind we got in LA, with multiple cross gen evos and Hisuian variants and other new Pokemon like Enamorous? They seem to feel like that's too much for a remake. And Game Freak wants to do more of that now, you can see that with how every game since USUM except BDSP has at least some new Pokemon, not just the new generation games. New games in old regions also lets them experiment with things such as new battle gimmicks/styles, new areas, new stories, new characters. If Game Freak had just worked on an ORAS-esque DP remake they wouldn't have been able to do even half of the things they did in LA. I think they feel too restricted by the remakes' need to stick to the original formula instead of a more modernized experience. Hence I think they've "moved on" from remakes and want to do more reimaginings like LA. There's still a need for remakes for those that were too young to experience the original, but they don't seem to want to be the ones to do that, so they outsourced it to ILCA and wanted to do their own thing.
BDSP is just one game. You can't just assume that all future remakes will be like it until we get more examples. FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS all added plenty of content to make them the definitive versions of their respective gens. Let's see how the Unova/Johto remakes turn out before you can say that GF doesn't want to do more remakes.

I saw something that showed what BDSP would look like in SwSh artstyle

It was fanmade, which is irrelevant. We're talking about what Game Freak did with official remakes.

Oh, how I wonder what that unwritten rule is.

I just said it. "Little to no new Pokemon" is the unwritten rule. We've consistently seen that they're unwilling to add in new or more recent Pokemon into the remakes and mainly limit the remakes to whatever existed in the original games.

For example, in Kanto remakes they don't want to add any new families that were introduced in later generations to the Kanto Dex (for example, Lucario or Gardevoir), aside from LGPE they've never wanted to introduce new Pokemon mid gen (like say, if they wanted to add a new evolution of Fearow to a future Kanto game, they seem to think that's too much for a remake too). Heck some games don't even want to add cross gen evos, and we saw this directly with past Kanto remakes. We never had stuff like Pichu or Crobat in FRLG's Kanto Dex or LGPE altogether.

They've never directly said in interviews "we don't want to add new/recent Pokemon to remakes" to my knowledge, but their actions with the remakes say it all. They don't seem to want to mess with the rosters and distributions too much in a remake. The kind of expansion they made in LA, where they added a bunch of Hisuian variants and cross gen evos and even some random Pokes like Paras and Vulpix here and there, that's a bit further than what they've ever done in a remake and that hints that they seem to think that they want to do more reimaginings like LA to make those kinds of additions and they don't seem to believe they can do that in an ORAS style remake.

…BW2 isn’t even a third version, they’re just BW sequels that replaced the third version (“Pokémon Gray”). USUM is basically SM but better, I still like the original SM tho
And true

Semantics, I'm calling BW2 a "third version" for simplicity and because it serves a similar role, to provide an enhanced version of the next gen game. Larger point here is how they've taken a drastically different approach between such enhanced versions and remakes which shows that they're consciously deciding to hold back on new/more recent Pokemon in remakes.

I’m gonna be scared and mad if I find out ILCA’s handling the BW remakes.

Probably. But would you feel less scared and mad if they announced a Legends Unova, or some similar reimagining of Unova, made by Game Freak alongside it? I'm predicting that Legends type games is where they want people to go if they want to see an ambitious, current gen take on an old region and the remakes are going to feel almost like carbon copies of the original games.

Probably. But would you feel less scared and mad if they announced a Legends Unova, or some similar reimagining of Unova, made by Game Freak alongside it? I'm predicting that Legends type games is where they want people to go if they want to see an ambitious, current gen take on an old region and the remakes are going to feel almost like carbon copies of the original games.
I’m just worried about it being BDSP style remake of BW, I’m not worried about Legends Unova or similar (Legends Unova would be fun)

I’m just worried about it being BDSP style remake of BW, I’m not worried about Legends Unova or similar (Legends Unova would be fun)

Well unfortunately BDSP style remakes may almost be inevitable. They seem to want them to be largely samey to preserve nostalgia and cut down on development time and costs, and short of just porting them to NSO or something similar they need to keep making them for players that were too young to experience the originals, so I don't think they're going away anytime soon. If they can keep up the Legends games alongside them though, that's a good compensation at least, it's an excellent outlet for the desire for a more modernized experience. I think they feel like having a samey remake like BDSP for those that want the original experience alongside a bold reimagining like LA is a good strategy, and both sold pretty well, so they might just continue it for further remakes for the foreseeable future.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom