• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General XenForo Issues/Glitches/Ideas Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first time I used the Conversation function (equivalent to Private Message in the old forum), and I found it could need some improvement.

It is nice that it is now like a private thread between the respective users as I can then also look at the old replies of mine. However, because it is like a thread, I don't like very much of the Edit time limit set in the newly posted reply.

Sorry I am the kind of person that always need to correct my words after I posted. Not that they are excessive edits, but 5 minutes is just too short even for small editing.

I think it might be better if that time limit can be gone, or if impossible, set it to be longer like at least 15 minutes or so.

BTW, posting message in someone else's Profile Post is only 420 characters, which is just too short for long open conversations. Although one can post up to 4000 characters in one's own Profile Post, why not in someone else's Profile Post? Is it possible to improve this?

The edit limit isn't something that we're likely going to remove from private Conversations, but we may consider increasing it a little. Keep in mind that you weren't able to edit the Private Messages back on vBulletin, so 5 minutes is a rather significant increase all on its own. Private Conversations aren't meant to be edited frequently, since it could be abused.

Profile Posts/Visitor Messages aren't meant to be used for extremely long messages, that's what private Conversations are for. 420 characters is a fair number of characters, three times what is offered by Twitter. I'm not sure why the system is offering a whopping 4000 characters for use of status messages, but we'll look into the two characters limits offered on Profiles.

That does the same for myself, but it still doesn't counts. It only really works if you press edit then save.
It could just be a thing in my account or I'm just not clicking it, but I'm unsure at the moment.

Are you using the WYSIWYG editor, or the basic editor? If you're using the former, I'd suggest switching to the latter. You'll need to be reasonably proficient in BBCode to be able to reasonably use the basic editor, however.

If you check out the blog section, the day all the blogs created will always be the current date, even if that isn't the case, but when you read the blogs in question, the date is suddenly correct. For example, i made a blog yesterday(Aprlil 2 obvs), yet when i checked it the blog section it says it was created on Apr 3.

We recently applied a new patch to the blogs, which appears to be the cause of this bug. We'll see what can be done, if anything.

This is probably a stupid question, but in several threads I've noticed mention of a "title box" in the reply section, and requirements that there be something in said box in your reply. I have no idea what this means. The only parts of the reply section I see are the text box and the formatting options (bold, italics, underlines, etc.). I'm using the ORAS theme if that has anything to do with it.

Threads mentioning a title box for replies were written back when the forums used vBulletin software, which allowed users to give every post they made a title (which defaulted to "Re: [Thread Title]") XenForo doesn't have such functionality, so such mentions of a reply title box are slightly out of date.

1. 3
    Hive Badge
    Your messages have been liked 25 times.

I am at 64 likes and have not received it. I am confused.

Actually I wanted to change my username. But the option of changing username isn't coming up in the drop-down menu which appears when you click on the username button besides the inbox button.

Hidden Mew had told me that the change username option comes first, but in my version the Personal Details option was first.

I tried using the form but it is giving an error saying that I don't have necessary permission to change my username.
As I recall, the forum requires 150 posts to be able to change username. It looks like you're a little under that, so try posting a bit more and checking.

As I recall, the forum requires 150 posts to be able to change username. It looks like you're a little under that, so try posting a bit more and checking.
Aha, found the setting. You're exactly right, a minimum of 150 posts are required, as well as being a member for at least six months. You'll need to make a few more posts before the option will open up for you @Pallet Fangirl

Thanks for informing that! I was worried why I couldn't change my username. I'll make 150 posts and try after that. ^^

I discovered the source of Mention problem. This only happens in the comment sections of blogs so, it still works in threads and the actually blog post itself. So if you see a mention not working in the comment sections of a blog, just click edit and save. You don't have to change anything in your comment to fix the problem. I have not discovered this anywhere else, this isn't to big of a problem and I have mention this already. But I figured at least I would say where the main problem is for mentions.

Okay, I have a huge beef to talk about with Blogs now that I've started using them.

First, for some reason, whenever I enter in a title with an apostrophe, a random backslash appears (so for example, I tried to put "Highwind's" but it output as "Highwind\'s"), and even if I edit it out and replace it, it comes back! What really gets me is that certain blogs don't have this problem for some reason!

Second, commenting on a blog seems to have this really weird problem where it will successfully post a comment, but none of the formatting is present and the loading animation on the top right is still rolling. Refreshing the page shows that comment appears just fine, but I dunno why it's acting like that when posts on the forum proper are working as normal.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, and also apologies if this isn't the right place for this. This seems like the most appropriate place for a suggestion though, so here we go!

Is it possible to raise the maximum character count allowed in a VM/profile message? Right now, the maximum is at 420, and that feels awfully low. I just used the VM system to send a message to someone, and I ended up having to cut two sentences and use "u" and "ur" in order to get below 420 characters and still get my point across. Is it possible to raise it to something along the lines of 1000 characters instead?

I think you're better off using the Conversations feature for lengthy private discussion.

I think you're better off using the Conversations feature for lengthy private discussion.

The message I sent earlier didn't need to be sent privately. It was a simple "hey, can you add a couple sentences to this? Here's a suggestion of what you could do for those two sentences in case you need one." A lot of messages I send don't necessarily need to be private, and I honestly don't like sending PMs for something as menial as a suggestion/request. I really don't feel like I should have to send someone a PM just to send a suggestion or a reminder that happens to go over 420 characters. I also tend to prefer to have conversations with people on their profiles, and I don't feel like I should have to take that to PM either.

I also just really don't like XenForo's PM system, but that's a minor grievance I can deal with if I absolutely have to.

As a side note, the original message I was going to send to the person earlier was approximately 580 characters, which was approximately 160 over the current limit. I had to cut a few sentences, drop a word somewhere, replace a written number with the Arabic numeral (two to 2), and replace a "you" with "u" and a "you're" with "ur."

If all else fails, I guess you could two-part it, I dunno. I don't think a mod's seen this thread in a while.

The blog system seems to be missing the ability to delete your own comments?

I accidentally double posted a comment then had to report my own comment to get it removed.

Regular users can now delete blog comments they have posted within 10 minutes of having posted it. After that time, it can only be deleted by a moderator or administrator.

Okay, I have a huge beef to talk about with Blogs now that I've started using them.

First, for some reason, whenever I enter in a title with an apostrophe, a random backslash appears (so for example, I tried to put "Highwind's" but it output as "Highwind\'s"), and even if I edit it out and replace it, it comes back! What really gets me is that certain blogs don't have this problem for some reason!

Second, commenting on a blog seems to have this really weird problem where it will successfully post a comment, but none of the formatting is present and the loading animation on the top right is still rolling. Refreshing the page shows that comment appears just fine, but I dunno why it's acting like that when posts on the forum proper are working as normal.

Blog functionality is provided via a third-party add-on, and is not a part of the XenForo package. So this means that the blogs can have bugs and/or other problems that won't have anything to do with posting in any of the forums.

As for the issues reported: I'm not finding any problem when I try to use either the ' or ‘ apostrophe in a blog title, both seem appear fine for me. Could you provide an example of where this has happened, it would help us investigate the cause of the problem. On comment issue; I can confirm this happening as it happened during my testing. It's not a major issue, since it doesn't actually cause the formatting to break or be ignored, but we'll look into it and see if there's anything we can do beyond hoping for a patch for the add-on to fix it.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, and also apologies if this isn't the right place for this. This seems like the most appropriate place for a suggestion though, so here we go!

Is it possible to raise the maximum character count allowed in a VM/profile message? Right now, the maximum is at 420, and that feels awfully low. I just used the VM system to send a message to someone, and I ended up having to cut two sentences and use "u" and "ur" in order to get below 420 characters and still get my point across. Is it possible to raise it to something along the lines of 1000 characters instead?

I've asked Archaic about this, and he doesn't believe it to be something that we can change, nor have I found any such setting either. If you need to send a message that goes beyond the 420 character allowance, you'll need to either break it into multiple messages, cut down the message to fit within the limit, or use a private Conversation. @Icy Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom