• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Glass Half Empty" corner - What don't you like about the Japanese version?

Back to the topic of odd casting, what was with that Sableye in last week's episode (The Crisis in Kalos)??? For a thing that puny, it had an inappropriately deep and gruff voice.
That' because it's based on a imp plus Pokémon sound more... well vicious in the Japanese version ( Just look at JP Greninja)

Except the cute ones like Pikachu, Eevee, Piplup, etc. Oh well...

By the way, earlier I listed the movie soundtracks I didn't like. I felt like those ones were scored like they were episodes of the TV show, rather than being scored as movies.

Back to the topic of odd casting, what was with that Sableye in last week's episode (The Crisis in Kalos)??? For a thing that puny, it had an inappropriately deep and gruff voice.
That' because it's based on a imp plus Pokémon sound more... well vicious in the Japanese version ( Just look at JP Greninja)

Except the cute ones like Pikachu, Eevee, Piplup, etc. Oh well...

By the way, earlier I listed the movie soundtracks I didn't like. I felt like those ones were scored like they were episodes of the TV show, rather than being scored as movies.
Of course because those are cutsey mons Also you disked all of the Japanese scores? I think they're great

Of course because those are cutsey mons Also you disked all of the Japanese scores? I think they're great

No, I don't dislike all of them. Just movies 2 (original OST), 3 (later half of the original soundtrack), 4, 6, and 17 (original OST). So far, that is. I liked the other ones, but then again, I still have some to rewatch to decide for totally certain.

Last edited:

No, I don't dislike all of them. Just movies 2 (Japanese OST), 3 (later half of the Japanese soundtrack), 4, 6, and 17 (Japanese OST). So far, that is. I liked the other ones, but then again, I still have some to rewatch to decide for totally certain.

Ah well that's good to hear1 I look forward to those blogs!

The only Japanese versions of Pokemon I saw were episode 1 of Best Wishes and the Darkrai movie...and I remember thinking Ash's voice sounded really nasally and rough.
The audio must've been tweaked because his voice is rather rough and energetic ( Think dub Naruto)

Kind of like how both Cacturne and Bannette had deep voices (Cacturne was extremely deep and almost quiet). And then the English had Bannette have a high pitched voice and Cacturne had a nasally 25-70 year old man voice.

Going back to Team Rocket again, I have something else to admit: generally, I think that in the original version, they're stock as far as cartoon villains go.

Last edited:
Going back to Team Rocket again, I have something else to admit: generally, I think that in the Japanese version, they're stock as far as cartoon villains go.
Yes, but Team Rocket are always so creative and energetic compared to regular villains on TV shows, whether Japanese, American, or any other nation! And they're always making jokes (most of the ones that actually make me laugh are the ones added in by the English cast, but still). And they have the creativity to make new mottos and improvise them to the situation.

While I like both languages of the very first two generation games' equivalent opening theme song, I generally don't like the Japanese theme song as much as the English ones. The Japanese ones in general sound more cheesy than the English ones. I'm also one of the few people from Japan who doesn't like J-Pop, so there.

While I like both languages of the very first two generation games' equivalent opening theme song, I generally don't like the Japanese theme song as much as the English ones. The Japanese ones in general sound more cheesy than the English ones. I'm also one of the few people from Japan who doesn't like J-Pop, so there.

I'm still not clear on what classifies something as J-Pop (considering that the only J-Pop songs I heard are "Simple and Clean"/"Hikari" and "Sanctuary"/"Passion"; guess where I heard those from), but I tend to be fond of the openings that aren't so "poppy." I tend to like the energetic openings better except for "Rivals!" and the new XYZ opening. Goodness, the XYZ opening was like those wannabes from American Idol that tried too hard in their desperate attempt to get someone to tell them that they're any good at what they do. Seriously, it's awful. Both it and "Rivals!!" are my two least favorite openings of the whole show.

Last edited:
Only thing I've ever hated about it was the V Volt intro, which is better than I can say for the English dubs (especially the TPCi dub).

The new ending. It's awful, give a annoying character an ending you have to sit through to see the last scene?

Looking back at this thread, it's uncanny how it's basically a window to how downhill my thoughts on the original version went over time, even though I opened this thread to be a place where anyone could talk about what about it frustrates them. Just last August, I viewed it as being enjoyable enough to watch but was inferior to the dub. Then around last October or so was when I started thinking it was terrible. Last December was the irrational fever pitch where I wanted it gone (a fever pitch I've since gotten over).

It really is staggering looking back at this and seeing exactly where it all went wrong. As it is now, my thoughts on the original version are this: I should never have watched it in any way, shape, or form; I should've stuck to the English dub entirely (except in the cases of the First Movie and the banned/missing episodes, which are the only morsels of the original version I like). But still, after wondering how I got here, I got my answer by rereading this whole thread.

I'm never going to understand its appeal no matter how well it's explained to me. Still, all shows have a fundamental right to be enjoyed. That, I can't and won't dispute. So, though I'm never going to be a part of it (again), enjoy the original version if you're so inclined.

Last edited:
Looking back at this thread, it's uncanny how it's basically a window to how downhill my thoughts on the original version went over time, even though I opened this thread to be a place where anyone could talk about what about it frustrates them. Just last August, I viewed it as being enjoyable enough to watch but was inferior to the dub. Then around last October or so was when I started thinking it was terrible. Last December was the irrational fever pitch where I wanted it gone (a fever pitch I've since gotten over).

It really is staggering looking back at this and seeing exactly where it all went wrong. As it is now, my thoughts on the original version are this: I should never have watched it in any way, shape, or form; I should've stuck to the English dub entirely (except in the cases of the First Movie and the banned/missing episodes, which are the only morsels of the original version I like). But still, after wondering how I got here, I got my answer by rereading this whole thread.

I'm never going to understand its appeal no matter how well it's explained to me. Still, all shows have a fundamental right to be enjoyed. That, I can't and won't dispute. So, though I'm never going to be a part of it (again), enjoy the original version if you're so inclined.
Indeed, in any case it seems that you're hatred lies in the fact that the Japanese version is so popular and those that enjoy bash the dub with glee and are pushed to do so by other bystanders as the dub I a very easy target given all that's happened ( recasting folks like Veronica, awkward voice direction by Wayland) that it slowly began to make you dislike the Japanese version and those that praise it in the same vain as those who hate the dub. It's really apparent that you're Dogasu's opposite in that regard. What happened was natural in sone ways.

Indeed, in any case it seems that you're hatred lies in the fact that the Japanese version is so popular and those that enjoy bash the dub with glee and are pushed to do so by other bystanders as the dub I a very easy target given all that's happened ( recasting folks like Veronica, awkward voice direction by Wayland) that it slowly began to make you dislike the Japanese version and those that praise it in the same vain as those who hate the dub. It's really apparent that you're Dogasu's opposite in that regard. What happened was natural in sone ways.

If that's the impression you got, then I have failed to articulate it properly. The original version's popularity with fans never had anything to do with why I currently hate it so much. The show's problems are the show's problems. The fans don't reflect on it, and it doesn't reflect on the fans. They're different entities. And speaking of its fans, I don't hate them at all (well, except for Dogasu and uncutpokemon, but it's not because they're fans of the original version). I don't know what I keep doing to give the impression that I do, but it's not the truth.

If that's the impression you got, then I have failed to articulate it properly. The original version's popularity with fans never had anything to do with why I currently hate it so much. The show's problems are the show's problems. The fans don't reflect on it, and it doesn't reflect on the fans. They're different entities. And speaking of its fans, I don't hate them at all (well, except for Dogasu and uncutpokemon, but it's not because they're fans of the original version). I don't know what I keep doing to give the impression that I do, but it's not the truth.
I suppose I and others just got that impression because your behavior towards it mirrors that of dub haters against any dub they don't like. In the beginning it seemed as though you just preferred the dub while only comparing the two versions but a few months later you just seemed to have developed a strong prejudice towards the original so much that it startled some and the Mods have been on the edge since.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom