• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever been embarrased being a Pokemon and/or anime fan?

Kagami

Suiren's #1 Fan!
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Tip: Personally I grew out of feeling embarrased about my hobbies a long time ago, but this thread idea stems from the vast observations discovered from various folks on the internet.

Thread: Embarrasement or self-hate exists. We're humans and humans will be humans. Are you or have you ever been embarrased by your hobbies? When I say embarrased, I mean trying to hide your passion for Pokemon (anime in general too) and scared to let others know of your seemingly "childish" hobbies. Share any stories you may have.

Like I said in my tip, I've long grown past this phase of my life. I really don't care what others think even if I am likely not considered a "normie" based on my hobbies and how I present myself on the internet.

Not really, though I was bullied because of it for a time. Granted, I was always somewhat of an outcast.

Not really, though I was bullied because of it for a time. Granted, I was always somewhat of an outcast.
I hear you. People in school (more 6th grade through 9th grade) always seemed to have some unusual issue with my interest in anime and whatnot. They'd say stuff like "Haha, he'd rather watch his Pokemon than talk to girls!". It used to bother me, but just doesn't anymore because I realized most of those kids back then have had zero impact on my life nor do I even care anymore about them. I noticed that upon leaving Highschool, popularity standing and whatever has zero meaning in life. I think I was an outcast too and probably still am.

I was never bullied for liking pokemon (oh no the kids just picked random things to drive me to depression with).

I will never be embarrassed about how much I love pokemon. It makes me happy and it's fun.

Well, yes. My interest in Pokémon outlasted the initial pokémania. I remember once I found myself embarrassed to be seen trading pokémon cards in year nine, I think it was (Halfway through high school, for reference there). Ironic, really, given how trendy late nineties nostalgia is now - I wonder how many of those twerps who made fun of me for trading cards are now playing up to all the nostalgia while playing Pokémon Go

I used to pretend to play Pokemon in real life and a lot of people found that weird. I should have been embarrassed, but I wasn't, because I enjoyed it.

The people who cry "childish" either do something childish themselves, or they are elitists, which I would say is also childish. I only know one thing: I have no interest in the alternative. Society does not define me. I am what I am. You will have to kill me to silence me.

Nope. A lot of the people I went to school with liked Pokemon too, so I wasn't embarrassed. Plus, I think you can never be too old for "childish" things like Pokemon as long as you still enjoy it.

Well, yes. My interest in Pokémon outlasted the initial pokémania. I remember once I found myself embarrassed to be seen trading pokémon cards in year nine, I think it was (Halfway through high school, for reference there). Ironic, really, given how trendy late nineties nostalgia is now - I wonder how many of those twerps who made fun of me for trading cards are now playing up to all the nostalgia while playing Pokémon Go

Probably a lot more than you think. Social standings such as "popular" and "unpopular" is such a middle school-highschool thing and a lot of those bullies slowly mature and don't care anymore. Sadly, not all though: Some become internet trolls and continue to bully others.

Let idiots be idiots!

Probably a lot more than you think. Social standings such as "popular" and "unpopular" is such a middle school-highschool thing and a lot of those bullies slowly mature and don't care anymore. Sadly, not all though: Some become internet trolls and continue to bully others.

Let idiots be idiots!

Oh, believe you me, I've got far more important things to be annoyed about than the hypocrisy of my former classmates.

I've never been overtly embarrassed or bullied for liking Pokemon, though that may also stem from the fact that I'm a pretty reserved individual who doesn't like to talk about my personal interests or hobbies, so most people I meet don't know that. Pokemon is not something I would openly mention to just anyone, and I'm fine with that.

I once knew someone who felt embarrassed just going to a store to buy a copy of Pokemon. But I've never felt that way. I buy my games at EB Games and electronic departments, and the people there don't judge.

Around middle school and part of high school I was bullied a lot for being quiet and bit of an oddball, let alone for any Pokemon interests. Being a Pokemon fan became the icing on the cake in that situation. I phased out of Pokemon (and a number of other interests, for that matter) briefly due to the excessive bullying and beatings, and I still bear the scars from those days (both emotionally AND physically). Places like here have allowed me to express my interests more freely, which has helped me overcome any previous embarrassment, though I still don't socialize much due to my social phobia (all thanks to the bullying). I still haven't quite gotten over the whole ordeal, but I'm no longer afraid of being a fan of whatever I like, Pokemon or otherwise.

Never because people think I'm great either way, so it made no difference. But not an anime fan.

There was a time, yes, but now I mostly just don't like having to explain it to people who keep asking. It's become easier when I can just list my title and rank on Bulbagarden and make it sound official.

But back in middle school it was Yu-Gi-Oh or nothing.

I was never embarrassed to be a fan, but it was something I never talked about or mentioned because I knew no one else was interested and they wouldn't care. Plus I didn't need to be judged poorly when I was in middle school, had enough going on already. So was I embarrassed? Maybe but it's something I would freely own up to. lol i was i just don't want say so because looking back i am embarrassed to have been embarrassed

Now i don't really care because it's part of who i am and i'm fantastical

Nope! And I've been a fan probably 20 yrs. :) Now that stuff has become more mainstream since many haters finally gave it a try.

Not really, no. Pokemon has always been such an integral part of my life that liking it feels as natural as breathing air to me. It's difficult to feel embarrassed about something you've had ingrained in you since you were very young. At least for me. Also, I'm a fairly isolated individual who has never had many friends or interacted with people very much. And when I did, they'd make fun of me for various other reasons. Rarely because I liked Pokemon, though. (Mostly due to my personality traits, which has made me feel more embarrassed to be myself than to like Pokemon, ironically enough.) Most of my time online was spent on Pokemon forums as a teenager as well, and generally, people are positive about the series online. It's always just felt like this thing that is very popular and acceptable to me personally based on these interactions.

I'll note there was a time where I tried to stop my Pokemon habit, but that was mostly because I thought I was "supposed to." Like it was some law that governed children growing up or something. Not because I felt ashamed of it.

As for my other hobbies, I don't really like to share anything that I like with anyone. I'm a very private person about my media consumption and hate talking about most things like that. (Pokemon is an obvious odd exception.) But that more stems from my general low self-esteem and fear of having my personality judged rather than thinking my hobbies are shameful or childish. (And also, I feel other peoples' opinions will taint my enjoyment of the things I really appreciate and take seriously.)

Not really. I've always been pretty open and proud about my interests whether it would be Pokemon, My Little Pony or comic books. Imo if you love something you wear it like a badge of honor and if someone tries to make you feel less than what you are you tell them to get lost and take their close mindedness somewhere else.

I'm really good at Pokémon battles in my local area, so it's nothing I'm embarrassed about. You're not going to believe me when I say it but this is something that my mum's actually proud of.

It surprises me too.

I hid it all along and I still hide it. Is that bad? Heck, this is even the first year I even went to a store to get a distribution card at game stop (I got all 4 of them) and I pretended they were for someone else (like that fools anybody) the first three times. I was pretty proud of myself the last time because I didn't pretend it was for someone else (well sort of, the guy wanted to explain to me how to use it and I said I already knew how). Purchasing games in the past I pretended I was buying for my cousin until Amazon, when I just got them shipped.

I wish I had the ability to not care about what others think like many of the others on this list, but that's just not me. Even using this site was very hard for me at first (and really still is kind of hard, i use it pretty off and on, but thats more because I am probably not as up to date on stuff as others so my posts get slammed for not being up to date), but it is nice to have a place to talk about one of my top hobbies with real people. For me, this is really the only hobby I have in this sort of genre (I don't really watch any other tv that isn't sports, don't like comics, don't play any other video games that aren't sports related), I am otherwise an athlete and sports fan, so most of the people I spend time with probably don't share this as an interest. I am not as worried anymore that people would make fun of me, but I don't see a point in sharing as I think I would have to answer a lot of questions. I even have a stupid bucket with all my Pokemon episodes, movies, gameboys/ds, and games that I put in a closet when I have guests over.

Pretty lame I do all that, but I don't see myself changing that habit either. Even more stupid, when people got Pokemon Go, I still pretended I didn't know anything about Pokemon, even though it was popular again, I pretend I only recognize the Kanto Pokemon cards my cousin has, the list goes on and on. I'm proud of everyone else though, good for you not being embarrassed!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom