• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How much Magic is too much?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I think this is an interesting topic. How much would you say is too much? Should there be a spell for every possible thing, or should it be limited to a small set of spells/abilities?

Wellllll...honestly, I think the most important thing is that the magic/magic equivalent system makes sense and is consistent. Not that you can never break the normal laws for how your magic works necessarily...more like the exceptions are infrequent and have explanations (like the Big Rule-Breaking Spell needs a massive power source to work, or something like that).

I could see it being harder to plot a story where there's a spell for every possible thing, though. I've read old books where a character is trapped and needs to find a way out. Those moments wouldn't be nearly as suspenseful if the character had a cell phone and could just call a friend to let the character out. Similarly, if there's a spell for every possible thing, it might be hard to convincingly put the characters in danger.

And here I thought this was going to be a MtG-related topic

If your character is specialized in a specific type of arcane (elemental powers, necromancy, cryomancy, etc), then check how much experience said character has, and then give them spells accordingly. If I were to write a magic/arcane user, I'd inspire myself with some D&D stuff to get a rough idea.

You also want to be careful that you don't make the magic too overpowered. Like, if there is a spell that is able to one shot bad guys, why use any other spell?
Even if such option is ever to exist, at least make sure that such overpowered magic comes with a cost so that it is only used in exceptional situations -- be it unable to use another one for days/weeks or the user damage themself about half of what they cause around them. So people choose safer and more comfortable options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom