• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to Spot A Bootleg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question.

I bought a Fennekin plushie at AX this year, but I wasn't sure if it was a bootleg or not. It has a Banpresto tag on it, and I bought it for $30.

Is this Fennekin bootlegged?

Do you have any photos of it?

If it has a Banpresto tag with a blue ShoPro sticker, it is legit, but it's hard to say otherwise without seeing it ^^; I think there are a few Banpresto Fennekin plushes out, so they definitely do exist.

Pokemon XY Fennekin Super DX Plush Banpresto UFO - Fennekin (48597) This one doesn't have its tag because it's a stock photo, but it's about the same price.

Unfortunately for me, I threw away the Banpresto tag awhile back and I forgot if it had a sticker on it. But during my AX trip, I did see many of the same Fennekin plushies being sold at higher prices. So, I'm pretty sure the one I got is legit. Also, is the Fennekin in the link about a foot tall? I can't seem to tell by looking at the pic alone.

Thanks for the info though, Araragi-hakase.

Edit: Found the tag and it has a blue sticker on it. So yay for me.

Last edited:
I want to point out that bootleggers are getting craftier. I have Umbreon, Glaceon, and Skitty Pokedoll bootlegs that all came with convincing-looking tags on them. Both sides of the tag look just like the real deal, and the only difference between these and legitimate tags are that they're made of flimsier paper - which you'd probably only recognize if you had a legitimate tag to compare to.

I want to point out that bootleggers are getting craftier. I have Umbreon, Glaceon, and Skitty Pokedoll bootlegs that all came with convincing-looking tags on them. Both sides of the tag look just like the real deal, and the only difference between these and legitimate tags are that they're made of flimsier paper - which you'd probably only recognize if you had a legitimate tag to compare to.

They've been doing that for a while - they scan and print out the legit tags :( They also just throw any tag on there, some booties have tags but they are the completely wrong ones.

They've been doing that for a while - they scan and print out the legit tags :( They also just throw any tag on there, some booties have tags but they are the completely wrong ones.

My favorite is my bootleg Ho-Oh. The tag is just the boxart for PokePark 2. And the image is crooked.

I have an older relative who gets me bootlegs all the time, because eBay is cheaper than PokeVault. -.-

Can anyone confirm the how legit this is Pokemon Center Original Plush Doll Espurr WANTED (Nyasupaa) from JAPAN☆ | eBay The signs are good, fair price, from Japan and good feedback. But I would input from you guys :)

I have bought from that seller before! No worries, they are legit :) I have never encountered any bootlegs from Japan - not to say there are none, (99.9% of the time, they come from China/Hong Kong), so you are safe buying things that ship from Japan.

To add on Araragi-hakase's post, I bought this plush myself in the Japanese Pokemon Center, and it looks the same, to the last detail. So I'd say this is legit.

What do you guys think of this website? Pokemon Figures, Toys, Cards, Plush Dolls & Gifts | PokemonZone.com

I think I might have found some bootleg times there before, but never bought them since they look fake like this one. Victini Black & White Pokemon Figure - Pokemon Dolls & Collectibles | PokemonZone.com When I saw it I knew right a way it's fake.

How is it fake?
1) Victini's body color is cream, the figure's body color is more yellow.
2) The hands and feet are done wrong and some of the body color's paint is on them as well.
3) The ears are suppose to look like the letter "V", the ears on the figure looks like they're curved outwards.
4) The hands, feet, and ears are colored the wrong shade of orange.
5) The inside of Vicitini's ears are black with with cream bordering it, the figure's ears lacked this feature.
6) The mouth was colored wrong and the teeth aren't colored in, it's also set too low on the face.
7) The eyes are colored incorrectly and are too small.
8) Tail wings are in the wrong position and shape.
9) No "V" mark on the body.
10) The part where the ears and head meet on the figure looks like that the ears could fall off at any moment when you pick up the figure or move it around at least.

I showed it to a friend who not really interested in Pokemon anymore and even he agreed that it's fake and that no one's going to buy it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking at the buyer reviews on that Amazon page, those are definitely bootleg Eeveelutions.

What do you guys think of this website? Pokemon Figures, Toys, Cards, Plush Dolls & Gifts | PokemonZone.com

I think I might have found some bootleg times there before, but never bought them since they look fake like this one. Victini Black & White Pokemon Figure - Pokemon Dolls & Collectibles | PokemonZone.com When I saw it I knew right a way it's fake.

How is it fake?
2) The hands and feet are done wrong and some of the body color's paint is on them as well.
3) The ears are suppose to look like the letter "V", the ears on the figure looks like they're curved outwards.
5) The inside of Vicitini's ears are black with with cream bordering it, the figure's ears lacked this feature.
6) The mouth was colored wrong and the teeth aren't colored in, it's also set too low on the face.
10) The part where the ears and head meet on the figure looks like that the ears could fall off at any moment when you pick up the figure or move it around at least.

I showed it to a friend who not really interested in Pokemon anymore and even he agreed that it's fake and that no one's going to buy it.

The figures most definitely look like bootlegs.

As for the plush, a lot of them are actually priced about right, but considering the figures, I personally wouldn't take a chance.

How is it fake?

The figures most definitely look like bootlegs.

As for the plush, a lot of them are actually priced about right, but considering the figures, I personally wouldn't take a chance.

Thanks for letting me know!

I had bought a Jirachi plush and a Manaphy plush from the website back in July, I don't really like the look most of the plush toys very much. The Jirachi plush I got is a bit darker gray and one arm is lower then the other, one of Jirachi's tags is wider then the other two. The Manaphy plush I got is mostly fine, but its head is not properly shaped. When I compared their heights, (They were advertized to be 5 inches tall) they appeared to be different heights. Jirachi appeared to be about 8 inches tall and Manaphy appeared to be 4 inches tall.

Thanks for letting me know!

I had bought a Jirachi plush and a Manaphy plush from the website back in July, I don't really like the look most of the plush toys very much. The Jirachi plush I got is a bit darker gray and one arm is lower then the other, one of Jirachi's tags is wider then the other two. The Manaphy plush I got is mostly fine, but its head is not properly shaped. When I compared their heights, (They were advertized to be 5 inches tall) they appeared to be different heights. Jirachi appeared to be about 8 inches tall and Manaphy appeared to be 4 inches tall.

The height is usually just an estimate (though with pokedolls, they're all about 6 inches tall with some exceptions). Especially if they're both not from the same line of plushes, one might be larger than the other.

A good way to see if the one you got is a bootleg is to look at the photos here and compare them -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pokeplushproject/sets/72157604034917647/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pokeplushproject/sets/72157604037616000/

Even legit plushes are not always 100% perfect and may have some imperfections, though I can't say I've ever seen anyway with mishapen heads or anything.

But yeah, if a site has ANYTHING bootleg on it from the photos, even if they have photos of legit merchandise, I don't trust it. It's so easy to steal stock photos when the product you have doesn't look anything like it. A lot of legit sites do use stock photos and there is nothing wrong with that, it's just another way the bootleg sites trick people in to buying their shit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Hey, I bought this tepig from amazon recently and I'm not sure if it's legit. Could someone have a look for me please?

It looks like the Korean release of the starter plushes - they're the same plushes as the talky ones, just without the voice boxes. I've been meaning to get a Tepig one of my own, as they're really nice plushes :) They're legit. They're exclusive to Korea, I think, but all the pokemon stuff is manufactured in China so don't let that throw you off.

I know, but it was shipped from China so you can't be too careful.
Just noticed the eyes are wonky, look:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 98
Pokemon plushes are hand sewn from what I understand - not all of them are perfect. Eyes being off centered etc don't always scream bootleg. If they're obviously misshapen or obviously very wrong than yeah, but a few imperfections here and there are really common. I have a New Years' Tepig plush (the sleeping one) with a crooked nose that I know is 100% legit.

With what Araragi said, not every plush is perfect. A few of my Pokedolls have a loose thread or two, and my First Tohoku Anniversary Victini Plush even has an issue with parts lining up with each other.

The Tepig above looks pretty fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom