• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview HZ035: A Duo in the Wilderness: Friede and Cap

I hope these hunters can come back like J did. It bums me out how they keep giving Pokemon hunters colorful, flashy designs, and then they're just evil COTDs who are arrested never to be seen again...

Especially since the girl seems like a fun gal who could fill Jessie's shoes ;)

Last edited:
Summary courtesy of Adamant

The Rising Volt Tacklers have finally run out of operating funds... so Friede and Cap decide to accept a request to search for a lost Anokusa in order to make some money! Liko is working on a presentation about "her ideal bond" for class and decides to help search for the Anokusa with Roy so she can observe Friede and Cap in action, however...?!

Why is she even in school at all?

Even Goh and Koharu were doing school stuff off-screen canonically in Journeys. They've kind of been leaning towards young trainers like Liko and Roy still having to have some sort of education, and I suppose them doing it online was pretty relevant (not so much anymore) given Horizons was most likely planned out during COVID and school-over-zoom became normalized (and also an excuse for them to still be travelling while simultaneously attending school).

It's probably a better message than "Ignore education and run off into the wilderness."
Liko and Roy are doing it more than Goh ever was though, its implied they are doing it basically every day whereas one episode of journeys said Goh only ever had to show up for tests I think?

It's probably a better message than "Ignore education and run off into the wilderness."
Liko and Roy are doing it more than Goh ever was though, its implied they are doing it basically every day whereas one episode of journeys said Goh only ever had to show up for tests I think?

I think I remember his teacher saying that he had some sort of special curriculum to accommodate his research-fellow job, but I don't really remember the exact specifics of it. He showed up to give a presentation in one episode as well.

Yes, but my question remains-why do these kids (and only in the last two series, mind you) need to go to school at all, when kids old enough to own Pokemon in the anime were almost never seen going to school of any kind.

It's just some world building that opens up room for a few extra ideas, it's not like it means half the series becomes watching them take classes or anything.
Changing things up, just because before they had no one go to school doesn't mean they are stuck keeping that fact true forever.
Also it's last three, Sun and Moon was set mostly at school, granted a trainer one rather than a regular one I think, I forget actually.

Yes, but my question remains-why do these kids (and only in the last two series, mind you) need to go to school at all, when kids old enough to own Pokemon in the anime were almost never seen going to school of any kind.
It’s certainly a jarring phenomenon when you consider all of the main characters we’ve had who didn’t go to school while traveling; yet everyone is supposed to be the same age. It’s not even reflected in the games; and before one may argue Scarlet and Violet, all the traditional schooling is completely optional while the main story/message still focuses on exploring a region without supervision and battling to push the narrative along.

It’s certainly a jarring phenomenon when you consider all of the main characters we’ve had who didn’t go to school while traveling; yet everyone is supposed to be the same age. It’s not even reflected in the games; and before one may argue Scarlet and Violet, all the traditional schooling is completely optional while the main story/message still focuses on exploring a region without supervision and battling to push the narrative along.
In fact, you HAVE to make progress in the story to unlock classes, if I recall.

Staff list courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

Screenplay 土屋理敬 (Michihiro Tsuchiya)
Storyboard 浅田裕二 (Yūji Asada)
Episode Director 浅田裕二 (Yūji Asada)
Animation Director 岩根雅明 (Masaaki Iwane)
Animation Director 志村泉 (Izumi Shimura)

Back
Top Bottom