• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ042: Transform! Hero of the Seas, Irukaman!!

Guys are huge fans of Palafin. They want to see it transforming.
They set up scenario to trick Palafin into transforming. It goes horribly wrong.
Liko helps Palafin. It saves the day. Also Ludlow is a superhero.
I meant more in terms of something like a plot rollercoaster. Based on the sequence of events, it seemed like:
  • the exposition lasted half of the episode, and was basically just saying "Palafin's a superhero!!!" in a bajillion different ways, and also "I wish we could photograph its transformation!!!" twice;
  • the rising action lasted, like, 2 minutes, it was really short and basic;
  • I could see the climax coming from a mile away;
  • the falling action was the most out-of-left-field thing possible, totally unrelated to everything we had just been shown for 15 minutes. Like, we have this Palafin who saves people but also wants its privacy, and these Snap Kids are getting in the way...so what the heck does Ludlow have to do with any of this???
  • At least the conclusion was amusing.
In general, it felt like stuff was just...happening. There was a sequence of events, but it was so disjointed...I just felt like I was being bombarded by all this stuff that was happening left and right. And after all of that, the episode left no impact on me. It's a certain type of episode, ig, but it's not one I'd come back to.

If it wasn't for the whole Mighty G thing it would just be your regular filler episode, I wouldn't call the whole thing cringe because of it.
I would say that that's fair, but...there were...other things.... Like the Trubbish guy who kept shouting like he's in an advertisement, and all the slogans people were throwing around, and the "thank you Palafin" over and over again.... I was just not really a fan of all that.

I'm just happy to see one of my favorite Pokemon from Gen 9 finally debuting. The episode is pretty odd, yes, but I'll admit that I burst out laughing at Ludlow doing the sudden but inevitable All Might/Master Roshi reference (possibly Might Guy as well, since his superhero alias has a G in it), but then again I like MHA (if my avatar didn't make that obvious, lol) and All Might is one of my favorite characters, so I am definitely biased. Also, I hope Ludlow officially catches the Palafin in the future. The two are already superhero partners and close friends, so it'd be perfect.

We have Midoriya playing the Pokédex and All Might playing Murdock. All we need now is a Todoroki and Bakugo.
This comment kinda makes me wish Bakugo's VA was the one voicing the Pokedex. Using the exact same voice and tone. The comedy potential would be amazing.

It's always weird to me whenever the anime treats an entire species as a unique individual. Like, all the onlookers were treating it like its special, Ludlow happens to know this Palafin specifically, and yet in reality theres like, a bunch more of them swimming around out there.

It's always weird to me whenever the anime treats an entire species as a unique individual. Like, all the onlookers were treating it like its special, Ludlow happens to know this Palafin specifically, and yet in reality theres like, a bunch more of them swimming around out there.
My guess is that Finizens rarely ever evolve into Palafin while still wild to the point that many pods don't actually have a Palafin among them, so they're rarely ever witnessed by onlookers.

I really wanted to love this episode and it indeed gave me cool footage of the greatest Gen 9 mon (Palafin), but...yeah, I agree that it had a weird tone and cringey moments that bring back memories of certain events from SM and JN. I only laughed at the hug attack and that's probably because I'm a Steven Universe fan.

Mighty G was fun and all but...What is the point? I can't see it coming back in a serious episode, and why hasn't he appeared until now? Sometimes a joke isn't worth the consistency of the series.

Mighty G was fun and all but...What is the point?

Does it need to have one.

I can't see it coming back in a serious episode, and why hasn't he appeared until now? Sometimes a joke isn't worth the consistency of the series.

Because that’s Ludlow’s character. He’s an old man who seems unassuming and is clearly past his prime, but shows surprising competency when he’s needed.

It’s very consistent.

Of course the first time in forever a review of mine gets more than 1 like I'm ratio'd the next day

Does it need to have one.
Yes, this is a continuity-driven series, not a series of comedy sketches.
Because that’s Ludlow’s character. He’s an old man who seems unassuming and is clearly past his prime, but shows surprising competency when he’s needed.

It’s very consistent.
There's a big difference between "he's an old man who is quite capable on his own" and "he always had a secret superhero identity that for some reason he decided to use on some random Klawf and not when children he's lived with for a while were actually being attacked".

I hope Mighty G will have Larry Kenney sounding more like Lion-O from Thundercats in the English dub. ;)

The gym theme was used four times this episode, kind of crazy. At least the dub has a good track record with that theme...

Really took me this long to find out Ludlow's being cool as hell once again.

If he goes in on the Explorers like this, all of them will be trembling on the floor and begging for mercy.

Back
Top Bottom