• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I'm honestly kind of bored of Sun & Moon right now...

It's no more action packed than SM:

Ash met his classmates, battled Team Skull and got the Z-Ring (1)
Ash battled Tapu Koko and performed a Z-Move for the first time (2)
Team Rocket get Mimikyu (3)
Ash catches Rowlet (4)
Ash meets Litten, who he wants to catch but won't because Stoutland (7)
Lillie gets the Vulpix egg and overcomes a part of her fear (8)
Ash fights and beats Totem Gumshoos, gets Normalium Z (9)
Ash fights and beats Hala, gets Electrium Z (10)

Does none of this matter because Ash isn't traveling? I'm having a hard time accepting this logic.

Traveling is just the tip of the iceberg. There is a whole slew of other problems underwater that make it hard to take the plot of this saga too seriously, and the constant "LOL Random Gaaag!" that plagues this saga isn't helping either.

The problem is that there is an overall lack of dynamism and sense of progress in this saga. There isn't any drive that makes it seem that the plot is going forward, causing things to stagnate way too fast and everything to feel so annoyingly static. And if nothing is done fast, these issues will start to be even more apparent and difficult to solve.

Sure, there are some subplots that have some potential, like Litten and Lillie (and Suiren, maybe?), but other than those, the rest is still stuck in one place. I mean, what do we know about the other students, aside from their families? What are their ambitions? Their goals? Their dreams? Their objectives? Are they working on them? How?

We still know squat about them, which make them look shallow and unnecessary.

I'm not looking at Ash and his fancy Island Challenge since so far he is doing stuff out of lazy promotional obligation than anything else, but the others are inexcusable. I'd rather not get a repeat an Iris/Serena with all of them, thank you. After all, those time-wasting pauses worked sooo well with them, did they?

Traveling is just the tip of the iceberg. There is a whole slew of other problems underwater that make it hard to take the plot of this saga too seriously, and the constant "LOL Random Gaaag!" that plagues this saga isn't helping either.

The problem is that there is an overall lack of dynamism and sense of progress in this saga. There isn't any drive that makes it seem that the plot is going forward, causing things to stagnate way too fast and everything to feel so annoyingly static. And if nothing is done fast, these issues will start to be even more apparent and difficult to solve.

Sure, there are some subplots that have some potential, like Litten and Lillie, but other than those, the rest is still stuck in one place. I mean, what do we know about the other students, aside from their families? What are their ambitions? Their goals? Their dreams? Their objectives? We still know squat about them, which make them look shallow and unnecessary.

I'm not looking at Ash and his fancy Island Challenge since so far he is doing stuff out of lazy promotional obligation than anything else, but the others are inexcusable. I'd rather not get a repeat an Iris/Serena with all of them, thank you. After all, those time-wasting pauses worked sooo well with them, did they?
Why are you so negative? Try to see it diffrent: it is a whole new animé, one you never seen before! So enjoy it and afterwards season one we can talk about the good and bad things,ok? :)

That was sarcasm...

The characters in SM don't revolve around Ash. That is a good thing in my book, especially when Ash gets to help them and actually come across as caring.
You see I have autism, so understanding sarcasm is difficult. Sorry that I didnt get it

Why are you so negative? Try to see it diffrent: it is a whole new animé, one you never seen before! So enjoy it and afterwards season one we can talk about the good and bad things,ok? :)

Wanna know an answer? Well, simply put, I'm extremely cynical about this whole ordeal.

But don't get me wrong, I want to give it a chance. Though, after watching what happened last time that the anime tried a "new start", I'm not really that confident toward it and I prefer to be wary and critical. It helps me stomach eventual disappointments much better.

Knowing that Serena had a crush on Ash and Clemont looked up to him was so satisfying. Superb character work right there.

Dislike it all you want, but at least we had known more about them than any SM character.

What can you say about Sophocles, for example? That he is afraid of the dark? That's common knowledge for anyone who has played the games.

And Mallow? That she loves cooking? My, yet another common knowledge.

Suiren, instead? She wants to travel around the world in a balloon? Fascinating, but too bad that she isn't shown doing anything about that.

Lillie has a fear? Eh. Misty and Iris had fears as well, but they never overcame them. Only fear so far that was truly overcame was May's fear toward Pokémon in general.

Such Oscar-worthy and original characters we have here, haven't we?

And what was so amazing about the XY cast?

We know that Lillie had some mysterious experience that has rendered her afraid to touch Pokemon. That aspect isn't from the games and is easily more interesting than that one-sided romance that never went anywhere. It will obviously tie into Lusamine's mistreatment of Lillie.

Last edited:
And what was so amazing about the XY cast?

We know that Lillie had some mysterious experience that has rendered her afraid to touch Pokemon. That aspect isn't from the games and is easily more interesting that one-sided romance that never went anywhere.

Never claimed that the XY gang was amazing, nor have I mentioned it in my posts. I'm comparing SM with other characters in general, and I dare say that even Iris and Cilan were handled better than any SM character.

And how do we know that Lillie's fear will go somewhere? It could… or it could be forgotten like Oshawott's development and Iris's ice fear.

I could be proven wrong, of course, but for now I don't wanna trust the anime staff one bit. Too many missed opportunities and mishandled endings to make me believe that she will be handled any better.

Wanna know an answer? Well, simply put, I'm extremely cynical about this whole ordeal.

But don't get me wrong, I want to give it a chance. Though, after watching what happened last time that the anime tried a "new start", I'm not really that confident toward it and I prefer to be wary and critical. It helps me stomach eventual disappointments much better.

Dislike it all you want, but at least we had known more about them than any SM character.

What can you say about Sophocles, for example? That he is afraid of the dark? That's common knowledge for anyone who has played the games.

And Mallow? That she loves cooking? My, yet another common knowledge.

Suiren, instead? She wants to travel around the world in a balloon? Fascinating, but too bad that she isn't shown doing anything about that.

Lillie has a fear? Eh. Misty and Iris had fears as well, but they never overcame them. Only fear so far that was truly overcame was May's fear toward Pokémon in general.

Such Oscar-worthy and original characters we have here, haven't we?
Good that you give it a chance and good that you say your opinion! :)

So you're criticizing the anime in general? Fair enough, but you seem to hold SM to a higher standard than you did with XY.
They are equal Silktree and Creselia92. What XY didnt have , does S&M and visa versa. But good you discuss it, we must talk much:)
You cant compaire a serious animé with a comic animé

Last edited:
So you're criticizing the anime in general? Fair enough, but you seem to hold SM to a higher standard than you did with XY.

This is because SM cannot be directly compared to any other series. It would be like comparing Paper Mario: The Thousands Years Door with Super Paper Mario. They may be both videogames featuring Paper Mario and with RPG elements, but for the rest they are vastly different.

As such, I'm trying to judge past series and SM by judging the overall direction of the plot, theme and characters. And so far, SM has left me largely unimpressed and disappointed, due to how drastic, dull and lackluster I'm finding it.

I have been following the anime due to its sense of adventure and how the friendships are formed between the cast. There was something that made me follow it during all this time. Heck, it even helped me pull through BW, which I greatly despised.

But SM took that thing away. It doesn't have anymore that element that made me minimally invested in the anime, and that displeases me immensely, causing me to grow largely uninterested of it. The general theme of the anime has changed, turning it from an adventure story to a comedy. And that, frankly speaking, made the anime lose its identity.

On its own, it may not even be that bad. However, by looking behind at the other sagas, you can't blame people for being displeased. After all, you can't simply give a hot dog to someone after giving it hamburgers in the past just because they both have bread and processed meat. Not many appreciate that change, simply put.

Last edited:
This is because SM cannot be directly compared to any other series. It would be like comparing Paper Mario: The Thousands Years Door with Super Paper Mario. They may be both videogames featuring Paper Mario and with RPG elements, but for the rest they are vastly different.

As such, I'm trying to judge past series and SM by judging the overall direction of the plot, theme and characters. And so far, SM has left me largely disappointed, due to how drastic and lackluster I'm finding it.

I have been following the anime due to its sense of adventure and how the friendships are forever between the cast. There was something that made me follow it during all this time. Heck, it even helped me pull through BW, which I greatly despised.

But SM took that thing away. It doesn't have anymore that element that made me minimally invested in the anime, and that displeases me immensely, causing me to grow bored fast of it. The general theme of the anime has changed, turning it from an adventure story to a comedy. And that, frankly speaking, made the anime lose its identity.

On its own, it may not even be that bad. However, by looking behind at the other sagas, you can't blame people for being displeased. After all, you can't simply give a hot dog to someone after giving it hamburgers in the past just because they both have bread and processed meat. Not many appreciate that change, simply put.
You are right! ;)

I am not attacking anyone. Just pointing out that the anime has never been a story-driven show meant to be appreciated for so long.

It's been 20 years. I recommend rewatching the older series if you can't accept the changes.

I always see this excuse being thrown around and I never got it.

I don't want to see things I have already seen. I want to see new things that follow the general theme I have grown accustomed to for all these years. It's vastly different.

Would you be fine if Zelda was suddenly turned into a shooter game and followed that standard in future sagas? Well, I can tell you that plenty of people would raise their pitchforks very quickly. Unless the shooter games were spinoffs, that's it. Completely unrelated to the "real" series.

I am not attacking anyone. Just pointing out that the anime has never been a story-driven show meant to be appreciated for so long.
I know and after a time it can get boring. I think it wont do for more then. 10 years

I always see this excuse being thrown around and I never got it.

I don't want to see things I have already seen. I want to see new things that follow the general theme I have grown accustomed to for all these years. It's vastly different.

Would you be fine if Zelda was suddenly turned into a shooter game and followed that standard in future sagas? Well, I can tell you that plenty of people would raise their pitchforks very quickly. Unless the shooter games were spinoffs, that's it. Completely unrelated to the "real" series.
You are right too ;)
You are both right lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have a hard time relating to anyone who was fine with the anime's formula for nearly 20 years. The show desperately needed to be shaken up.

Comparisons to games are irrelevant since those don't come out on a weekly basis...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom