• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

impossible types?

matthewmayhem

Reaction score
I thought we could discuss what we think of as impossible types - simply, a type combination that doesn't work/make sense or you feel like could never happen.
I know there are some that haven't happened or only recently have
Then again, i don't know how you could be both water and electric realistically as you would just get shocked if you were comprised of both elements
Do the rest of you think that either some types should never happen or were a mistake to put together?

Normal/Ghost has a whopping one weakness, being the Dark type. If a Normal/Ghost did appear, it would be OP unless it’s stats made up for one of the most OP types ever.

Ahh, Fire/Water. Volcanion may be a steam Pokemon, but it could have the Steel type to reference Steampunk. Fire type makes no sense.

Normal/Ghost also has two more weaknesses if an opponent has Scrappy or uses Odor Sleuth. And if just one weakness was a problem, we probably wouldn't have Sableye/Spiritomb or pure Electric-types, would we?

Volcanion's based on geysers, which happen to be superheated blasts of water. Fire makes more sense than Steel with that in mind.

Last edited:
Normal/Ghost also has two more weaknesses if an opponent has Scrappy or uses Odor Sleuth. And if just one weakness was a problem, we probably wouldn't have Sableye/Spiritomb or pure Electric-types, would we?

Plus, Normal/Ghost being only weak to Dark isn't as much of a problem considering that the Dark type is amazing, and very prominent.

Plus, Normal/Ghost being only weak to Dark isn't as much of a problem considering that the Dark type is amazing, and very prominent.

So, Normal/Ghost is a Wonder Guard Pokemon without the Wonder Guard. Imagine if it had Filter or even Wonder Guard itself?

Last edited:
So, Normal/Ghost is a Wonder Guard Pokemon without the Wonder Guard. Imagine if it had Filter or even Wonder Guard itself?
Normal/Ghost doesn't make a Mon immune to flat out everything as a Wonder Guard Sableye or Spiritomb would have been before fairy types were a thing...
They'd be immune to three types: Fighting, Ghost and Normal.
Weak to Dark. If the opponent has Scrappy they'd be weak to Fighting types.
Resist Bug and Poison.
Everything else would give normal damage. So they'd be far from invulnerable. Just a bit annoying...

We already have one existing type combo that works similarly, the Dark/Ghost Sableye and Spiritomb.
They too are immune to three types, Normal, Psychic and Fighting.
Only one weakness; Fairy. Prior to gen VI they had no weaknesses.
Their main difference would be that they don't resist bug, only poison.

Unless the bug-resistance becomes that big of a deal I don't think a Normal/Ghost would be that much more OP than Dark/Ghost. Or heck Eelektross has a whooping 0 weaknesses, as its ability makes it immune to ground (which is the only weakness a pure electric type has), while resisting three types (flying, steel and electric).

were you puzzled by the electric/water combo? you explained the fire/water type but how can electric and water be put together?

were you puzzled by the electric/water combo? you explained the fire/water type but how can electric and water be put together?
Electric eel - Wikipedia

Also, if they're really creative, some Megas can go Fire/Water... I was considering Typhlosion for this possibility (going the same route as Volcanion in Volcano -> Steam), but they'd never do that to a starter, I guess.

Water and electric have been put together before. Chincou and Lanturn are Electric/Water.

No type combination is impossible. There is literally nothing stopping Gamefreak from combining any two types they want, as long as they discover an appropriate way to do it.

Water and electric have been put together before. Chincou and Lanturn are Electric/Water.

No type combination is impossible. There is literally nothing stopping Gamefreak from combining any two types they want, as long as they discover an appropriate way to do it.
Fire/Ice, Normal/Ghost, Poison/Fairy, I could go on and on about type combos that won’t make sense.

Fire/Ice, Normal/Ghost, Poison/Fairy, I could go on and on about type combos that won’t make sense.
Fire/Ice-http://fakemaket.deviantart.com/art/Bruthal-Arson-Fakemon-535969982 is a pretty good example of how that can work.

Normal/Ghost- What about a Normal-type possum that becomes so good at playing dead its evolved form takes on the Ghost type?

Poison/Fairy-I've seen plenty of Fakemon evolutions for Spritzee that build on its resemblance to a witch doctor and make it Poison/Fairy.

A type combination not making sense is only from a lack of creativity.

A sheet ghost works for Normal/Ghost (Mimikyu could honestly have been it instead of Ghost/Fairy imo) or I like the idea of an origami crane - it's just a sheet of paper but "alive". Normal for regular everyday thing, Ghost for the spiritual aspect.

Poison/Fairy isn't impossible. Easiest example to think of is mushrooms, fairy rings and that sort of thing. It could have both the ability to poison and heal things as it chooses. Or maybe it thinks it's healing, but accidentally makes people/Pokemon sick with the spores.

Fire/Ice is the only one I would class as tricky, but even then you have things like the Japanese macaque that could easily be spun into something part Fire and part Ice if it came down to it.

Agreeing with Zeb, can easily justify any type combo bar Fire/Ice, which does seem illogical. It's easy to find jumping off points for a strange type combo, but with Fire/Ice, at first glance it seems as if it work against itself, how can a snowy-creature blast out fire? How can a volcano-dweller have such an affinity with the cold?

I’m just wondering about good ol UB-01’s rock typing. Ice would have made more sense because of the crystal bulb on it’s head and the dark merged state resembling ice. Black ice does in fact exist. Even water because of the gelatin-like consistency. Poison makes sense cause of the neurotoxins.
As for the Fire/Ice, SuperSonicGX, my spriting idol, made lava Pokemon that gained the ice type when the volcano became dormant and cold.
But Dark/Fairy seems weird considering Fairy can be considered to be a Light-like type, even Xerneas and Sylveon were called Light-Types by much of the community before their official Fairy type was revealed.

Actually the ultra beasts would be a good way to explore the more unusual typings like Fire/Ice. Or maybe a Thermal-themed pokemon?

A Dark/Fairy-type might work as one of the most malevolent of fey. Like a Changeling or maybe a Drow elf.

I can see Normal/Grass working out as a regional variant of an existing grass-type. Maybe Linonne?

Steel/Ice should be either very bulky or very powerful. Maybe a Diamond (dust) Shield 'mon?

I’m just wondering about good ol UB-01’s rock typing. Ice would have made more sense because of the crystal bulb on it’s head and the dark merged state resembling ice. Black ice does in fact exist. Even water because of the gelatin-like consistency. Poison makes sense cause of the neurotoxins.

Nihilego is part Rock because it's a crystalline creature. It's essentially a crystalline parasite, so Rock/Poison fits. Ice seems like a stretch really.

I can see Normal/Grass working out as a regional variant of an existing grass-type. Maybe Linonne?

Steel/Ice should be either very bulky or very powerful. Maybe a Diamond (dust) Shield 'mon?

Not sure whether you're including already done types, but we have Normal/Grass in Deerling and Sawsbuck, and Ice/Steel in Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash.

Water/Steel is a type only belonging to a penguin. Shoulda used the ice type instead. A Pokemon who has this type should make sense

I'm sure they could come up with something for Fire/Ice. A Legendary Pokémon would probably make it easiest since they inherently offer a lot of leeway for extraordinary concepts (surely there's some deity in some mythology out there that fits the bill?), but there are more mundane options as well. They could do something with the Mpemba effect, which is the belief that hotter water freezes faster. Or, yeah, a dormant volcano, as @AnimePsyclone suggested. Also, a Google search that I conducted for "fire ice pokemon" turns up an old GameFAQs thread where someone suggests a Cloyster-like igloo-themed Pokémon with a lit fire inside.

On the subject of Normal/Ghost, the usual suggestion is for a Pokémon based on Schrödinger's cat. I used to agree with that idea, but I once saw somebody refine the idea even further - make it so that it can be either Normal-type or Ghost-type, and you don't find out which until you send it into battle. It'd be gimmicky as hell, but so fun.

Last edited:
Poison/Steel? A factory Pokemon is the only way it would work I think.
Also, all the Pokemon with Dark/Poison types can have a more sensible typing:
Alolan Grimer and Alolan Muk: Rock/Poison Type due to their poisonous rocks
Stunky and Skuntank: Poison or even Poison/Normal due to them being white creatures that don’t have much different from real skunks outside of movesets
Drapion: Poison/Bug was the type of Skorupi, and Drapion is based on a bigger scorpion then it’s pre-evo, so keep the type.

Alolan Grimer and Alolan Muk: Rock/Poison Type due to their poisonous rocks

Poison/Dark on Alolan Muk is less literal, but still makes sense. They're huge gluttons. Gluttony is, famously, a sin. Guzzlord probably follows this line of thinking as well.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom