• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

impossible types?

Ok. Now explain why a massive palm tree is suddenly a dragon. Or how a cicada’s shed skin comes to life as a ghost. Or how a possessed anchor is made of leaves and stuff and not metal.
Alolan Exeggutor: Grass/Dragon...
Shedinja: Bug/Ghost...
Dhelmise: Ghost/Grass...

Ok. Now explain why a massive palm tree is suddenly a dragon
Moon dex entry: As it grew taller and taller, it outgrew its reliance on psychic powers, while within it awakened the power of the sleeping dragon.
Or how a cicada’s shed skin comes to life as a ghost.
A dead thing coming to life doesn't sound like a Ghost type?
Or how a possessed anchor is made of leaves and stuff and not metal.
The seaweed is the Pokémon, not the anchor. (and it does still have notable powers over metal with its ability)

Ok. Now explain why a massive palm tree is suddenly a dragon.

It's clearly supposed to be a joke character. Alolan Exeggutor has some of the signature traits of "traditional" dragons - a long neck, a stout body and short legs, fangs, and claws - so it's not a tree-like dragon so much as it is a dragon-like tree. Less directly, it could also be a play on this.

TechSkylander1518 hit the other two points.

Ok.
But as Empoleon is a penguin that can slice apart ice , something useful for an antarctic environment, and can be found in the Iceberg Zone in Pokepark Wii and the Ice Temple and Mt. Sorbet in Ranger: GS, Mt. Avalanche and Crevice Cave in PMD:TDS, and Ice Lake in Ranger: SoA, it should totally be a Steel Pokemon, and not Ice... Someone explain. Please. It’s driving me up the wall.

I think it's for the royalty references in its design-being an emperor penguin and its name being based on Napoleon-and the trident on its head. (Also, habitat doesn't necessarily decide type)

Ok.
But as Empoleon is a penguin that can slice apart ice , something useful for an antarctic environment, and can be found in the Iceberg Zone in Pokepark Wii and the Ice Temple and Mt. Sorbet in Ranger: GS, Mt. Avalanche and Crevice Cave in PMD:TDS, and Ice Lake in Ranger: SoA, it should totally be a Steel Pokemon, and not Ice... Someone explain. Please. It’s driving me up the wall.

Um, Empoleon is a Steel-type...

I think that might have been intended to be sarcastic.

Seems my detector is on the blink, then.

Either way, yeah, just because it lives somewhere cold doesn't mean it has to be an Ice-type, as you said. Its body is very clearly metallic and sharp, probably because tridents.

Not sure whether you're including already done types, but we have Normal/Grass in Deerling and Sawsbuck, and Ice/Steel in Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash.

Oh yeah i forgot about those...

is there any types Normal isn't paired with?
Seems my detector is on the blink, then.

Either way, yeah, just because it lives somewhere cold doesn't mean it has to be an Ice-type, as you said. Its body is very clearly metallic and sharp, probably because tridents.

Not to mention the electric type eel, the ghost/grass anchor, and the other non-water types living in water.

is there any types Normal isn't paired with?

Here is a list of all currently unused type combinations:

- Normal/Ice
- Normal/Bug
- Normal/Rock
- Normal/Ghost
- Normal/Poison
- Normal/Steel
- Poison/Ice
- Poison/Steel
- Poison/Fairy
- Poison/Psychic
- Poison/Electric
- Fighting/Fairy
- Fighting/Electric
- Fighting/Ground
- Fairy/Dark
- Fairy/Fire
- Fairy/Ground
- Ice/Bug
- Ice/Fire
- Electric/Dark
- Bug/Dark
- Bug/Psychic
- Bug/Dragon
- Rock/Ghost
- Fire/Grass

If we're not counting Legendary Pokémon, Ultra Beasts, or Mega Evolutions, then these combinations also remain unused:

- Fire/Water (Volcanion only)
- Fighting/Ghost (Marshadow only)
- Psychic/Ghost (Hoopa Confined and Lunala)
- Dragon/Psychic (Latias and Latios)
- Rock/Fighting (Terrakion only)
- Dragon/Electric (Zekrom and Mega Ampharos)
- Dragon/Ice (Kyurem only)
- Flying (Tornadus only)
- Fire/Steel (Heatran only)
- Dragon/Steel (Dialga only)
- Dragon/Ghost (Giratina only)
- Rock/Poison (Nihilego only - it is the only Ultra Beast with a unique type combination)

Additionally, Grass/Dragon has only been used for Mega Sceptile and Alolan Exeggutor (a form, so I can see some fans viewing that as a grey area).

As for the inverse of this list, Poison remains the only type that has not yet been used for a Legendary Pokémon (except for Arceus).

Last edited:
Fire/Ice, Normal/Ghost, Poison/Fairy, I could go on and on about type combos that won’t make sense.

They can if you actually spent time thinking of possibilities.

Fire/ Ice: A simple Pokémon that has control of Fire powers and Ice powers.

Normal/Ghost: A normal type Pokémon that managed to gain ghostly type powers (Gamefreak can figure out how). Or perhaps a Pokémon based on the concept of limbo.

Poison/Fairy: Obviously, not EVERY fairy has to be a fluffy pink fairy. A perfect opportunity for an evil fairy.

That was not hard. As a matter of fact, that took no effort at all. Imagination can do wondrous things.

Last edited:
Fire/Ice, Normal/Ghost, Poison/Fairy, I could go on and on about type combos that won’t make sense.

Poison/Fairy: Obviously, not EVERY fairy has to be a fluffy pink fairy. A perfect opportunity for an evil fairy.

Here's a Poison/Fairy fakemon designed in the bulbagarden fakedex thread
I think I've come up with a concept for Crawkan's evolution...

Name: Crawkoxic
Category: The Sugar Pokémon
Types: Poison/Fairy
Abilities: Rock Head/Posion Touch/Rockworker [the Power of Rock type moves is increased by 50%]

Dex Version 1: Since Crawkan were targeted a lot by Humans, and Pokemon alike, this Pokemon had to take extreme measures to protect itself. This Pokemon has now developed poisonous horns, and is capable of mixing poison with its sweets, as a measure to prey.

Dex Version 2: These Pokemon thoroughly enjoy the festival of Halloween, and it is the only time when they don't poison their sweets. They are also known to feed non-poison sweets to trainers they trust.

Description: Crawkoxic are largely similar to their pre evolutions, and maintain their previous colour. Their shell, however, how has beautiful, multicoloured stalagmite and stalactite-like structures. This makes them unable to roll on the ground. Each of its horns have a purple coloured tip, and it has a purple gemstone on its forehead.

Origins:
Concept is based on various myths of poisoned sweets. The name origin is same as that of Crawkan, but adds on Toxic.

Stages: Crawkan (level up after learning toxic)> Crawkoxic

This quote comes from here[/quote]

That was not hard. As a matter of fact, that took no effort at all. Imagination can do wondrous things.
If it was an evil fairy, the Dark type would make more sense. Poison/Fairy could be a cute but toxic thing, but just looking at the Poison typed Pokemon you can find cute ones. I mean, look at how cute Budew is! Or Bulbasaur! Or Oddish! Or Foongus! Or Marinie! Or the Nidorans!
Since Fairy is weak to Poison, it wouldn’t make much sense for a Poison/Fairy Pokemon to exist. Any ideas?

If it was an evil fairy, the Dark type would make more sense. Poison/Fairy could be a cute but toxic thing, but just looking at the Poison typed Pokemon you can find cute ones. I mean, look at how cute Budew is! Or Bulbasaur! Or Oddish! Or Foongus! Or Marinie! Or the Nidorans!
Since Fairy is weak to Poison, it wouldn’t make much sense for a Poison/Fairy Pokemon to exist. Any ideas?

There is always more than one way to represent something. You can use the Poison type for an evil fairy or a dark type. An evil fairy being part poison is just one potential idea. Considering there are plenty of type combinations that have been used where one of the types is usually weak against the other (fire/water, electric/water, ghost/dark), there is no reason why there cannot be a Fairy/Poison type Pokémon.

Literally the post above this one contains an idea about a poison/fairy Pokemon.

I remembered reading a Nintendo Dream interview about the Pokemon designed in Generation 5, and it was the topic on Ferroseed and Ferrothorn. As we know, these Pokemon are Grass/Steel, but I got the gist that at that time, Grass and Steel were considered "impossible types" by the developers, mainly because the organic and inorganic nature of each type clashes with each other. The main reason for their creation is due to the designers wanting a Pokemon of that type combination to exist. Unfortunately, I cannot find the Nintendo Dream interview about Ferroseed and Ferrothorn to confirm this, but I remembered reading about it (and coming to the conclusion that they are one of the few recorded instances of being designed for competitive battles).

Thanks for reading.

A Well Shinottic took the Fairy Circle concept out the window, but maybe we can go with the fairyland concept for insperation (mainly the type of fairyland that has adverse effects on mortals before or after they leave the fairyland, such as rapid aging or the food from there causing mortal food to be unapitizzng or unable to sustain them afterwards...)

Actualy the kind of fey food might work for a Poison/Fairy pokemon, but there might be a confusion with grass-types (never stopped them before with the Ghost/Grass Dhelmise or the Electric-type eel living in the water, or the claims that Luxray should hag gotten a dark-type). Maybe a Lotus would work?

A Well Shinottic took the Fairy Circle concept out the window, but maybe we can go with the fairyland concept for insperation (mainly the type of fairyland that has adverse effects on mortals before or after they leave the fairyland, such as rapid aging or the food from there causing mortal food to be unapitizzng or unable to sustain them afterwards...)

Actualy the kind of fey food might work for a Poison/Fairy pokemon, but there might be a confusion with grass-types (never stopped them before with the Ghost/Grass Dhelmise or the Electric-type eel living in the water, or the claims that Luxray should hag gotten a dark-type). Maybe a Lotus would work?

Maybe a Pokemon based on dark fantasy stories. The Scary Tales scare zone at SCarowinds had the same concept, and the Poison type comes from the darker endings. Also, a Pokemon based on petrified forests would be a cool Pokemon, a petrified fairy that evolves from a Grass/Fairy Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom