• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Sonans/Wobbuffet permanently outside his Monster Ball now?

WatcherMark

Reaction score
So I was rewatching the last two Sun and Moon episodes with subs and something occurred to me... Sonans was never inside its ball at any point. Sakaki's office, travelling on the plane in disguise, walking through the forest - Sonans remained outside its Monster Ball throughout. This has made me wonder, could Sonans be permanently 'outside' now?

You know, this is a good question. I find it unlikely that Sonansu would be permanently out, but I wouldn't be surprised if Yuuji Ueda has been upgraded to the status of the main TRio and will appear in their every appearance.

I think its time to keep him out of the ball anyway: Pikachu is, Meowth is, why not Sonans? He can be used as quick comic relief and keeping out of the ball gives the creators an easier time placing him in the show without making it seem like a forced gag.

I think its time to keep him out of the ball anyway: Pikachu is, Meowth is, why not Wobbuffet? He can be used as quick comic relief and keeping out of the ball gives the creators an easier time placing him in the show without making it seem like a forced gag.
Was Meowth ever actually captured?

They really should catch him just to be on the safe side, imo.
The safe side of what? He's an equal member of the team, not a battle-slave who needs shackling to ensure he doesn't run away.

The safe side of what? He's an equal member of the team, not a battle-slave who needs shackling to ensure he doesn't run away.

I meant so no one outside of Team Rocket can actually succeed in capturing him.

Wobbuffet always come out of it's pokeball so it might as well stay out of it. Although Jessie using Wobbuffet has gotten pretty stale now in my opinion.

I meant so no one outside of Team Rocket can actually succeed in capturing him.
Oh I see, sorry for jumping down your throat lol.
To be fair, the way it's been depicted in the anime till now is that pokemon can only get caught when they want to, so in theory it shouldn't ever be a real problem should it?

Was Meowth ever actually captured?
That's true.

We're now seven generations in of this writing and nearly 1000 episodes in. I'm pretty sure its safe to assume there is no plan for somebody else to catch Meowth @Tuoko - Unless its for a small arc like the first Mewtwo movie where Mewtwo could catch anything!

Oh I see, sorry for jumping down your throat lol.

It's fine.

To be fair, the way it's been depicted in the anime till now is that pokemon can only get caught when they want to, so in theory it shouldn't ever be a real problem should it?

I'm pretty sure its safe to assume there is no plan for somebody else to catch Meowth @Tuoko - Unless its for a small arc like the first Mewtwo movie where Mewtwo could catch anything!

You both do have a point, and yeah, that's true, now that I think about it...

To stay on topic of this thread, I don't have a problem with Wobbuffet staying out of his PokeBall. He's pretty much the fourth member of Team Rocket, and he's been around for a long time... It'd make sense imo.

I like Sonansu, and it's true he basically is the fourth TR member, so sometimes I wish the writers would give him a bit more to do than his usual standing around or chiming into conversations by shouting his pun-tastic name/getting yelled at by the other three.
In SM03, when Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu were hugging each other after Nyasu woke up from his near-death experience, Sonansu was just kinda watching awkwardly like a third (fourth?) wheel, and I felt kinda bad for him. :p

sonansu-awkward.jpg

"So glad you're okay! I'll just...celebrate from over here I guess."

I like Sonansu, and it's true he basically is the fourth TR member, so sometimes I wish the writers would give him a bit more to do than his usual standing around or chiming into conversations by shouting his pun-tastic name/getting yelled at by the other three.
In SM03, when Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu were hugging each other after Nyasu woke up from his near-death experience, Sonansu was just kinda watching awkwardly like a third (fourth?) wheel, and I felt kinda bad for him. :p

View attachment 101736

"So glad you're okay! I'll just...celebrate from over here I guess."
You have to keep in mind; Sonansu does not have the same affection for Nyasu as Musashi and Kojiro do. Sonansu may be on the same team as him, but that doesn't mean they have a relationship where they actually care for each other as best friends.

You have to keep in mind; Sonansu does not have the same affection for Nyasu as Musashi and Kojiro do. Sonansu may be on the same team as him, but that doesn't mean they have a relationship where they actually care for each other as best friends.

True, I know what you're saying. They're not friends like that, and haven't been through as much together, but I do think it would be nice to show Sonansu as a more engaging Pokemon teammate as opposed to just being a punchline all the time. I mean, as long as he's going to be out of his Pokeball so much, y'know?

Maybe we can't consider it cannon like normal episodes, but Sonansu and Nyasu are nearly always hanging out together in the Pikachu shorts, where they seem to be together as friends rather than just teammates. I like that!

Sonansu is a psychic type... he probably had a vision and saw he was okay. While everyone was stressed out, he was probably thinking, "Y'all ain't know nuttin', man! He gon' be aight." He also know Jesus!Bewear was just around the corner. He was just patiently waiting as the patient Pokemon he is for them to realize what he knew.

Sonansu does not have the same affection for Nyasu as Musashi and Kojiro do. Sonansu may be on the same team as him, but that doesn't mean they have a relationship where they actually care for each other as best friends.
They're not friends like that, and haven't been through as much together
Huh? What?!
Are you guys serious right now? I am sure both comments were made without much thought because surely no one can think that, but just in case...

I know Sonansu didn't join in that hug, but he and Nyasu have been shown to be close since AG! Whenever there is any disagreement or stupid personality traits on show, the two of them are almost always on the same team. If I knew this would even be a discussion I'd have compiled evidence from the last 15 years but let's just take a look at SM so far:
Dy8sW3o.jpg

QToXoaP.jpg

n7nAnz6.jpg

This isn't the first time Sonansu has gotten flak for being passive, but if you pay attention he is often more than "just there". I think he is handicapped on the front of being noticed:
1. He doesn't speak and Nyasu does. Moreover Nyasu rarely translates for him.
2. His one line/gag translates to a response to whatever else has just been said. (A consequence of 1. and 2. is that, because the audience doesn't understand what he's actually saying, we just assume he's not saying anything important.)
3. The TRio are such colourful characters, it's easy for anyone to get lost behind their flamboyance.
4. Mechanics-wise, he doesn't make an interesting battler once you've exposed and exploited the move-reflection gimmick.
5. He will always take second billing to Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu who ARE the TRio.

Taking all of the above into consideration, what more can they actually do with him? He does, however, show plenty of personality if you pay attention.

Obviously I feel the same but I can understand why he's only brought out on special occasions.. It would get dull fast if he was used frequently.

Huh? What?!
Are you guys serious right now? I am sure both comments were made without much thought because surely no one can think that, but just in case...

I know Sonansu didn't join in that hug, but he and Nyasu have been shown to be close since AG! Whenever there is any disagreement or stupid personality traits on show, the two of them are almost always on the same team.

This isn't the first time Sonansu has gotten flak for being passive, but if you pay attention he is often more than "just there". I think he is handicapped on the front of being noticed:
1. He doesn't speak and Nyasu does. Moreover Nyasu rarely translates for him.
2. His one line/gag translates to a response to whatever else has just been said. (A consequence of 1. and 2. is that, because the audience doesn't understand what he's actually saying, we just assume he's not saying anything important.)
3. The TRio are such colourful characters, it's easy for anyone to get lost behind their flamboyance.
4. Mechanics-wise, he doesn't make an interesting battler once you've exposed and exploited the move-reflection gimmick.
5. He will always take second billing to Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu who ARE the TRio.

Taking all of the above into consideration, what more can they actually do with him? He does, however, show plenty of personality if you pay attention.

I think where I was coming from was, I realize Sonansu and the TRio haven't been together from the VERY start, he wasn't around when Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu got together as a team and eventually met Satoshi, plus he's in his Pokeball a lot and not always interacting with the others - so in that respect, I can see what SonansuMan is saying. BUT, I agree that he does have more connection to the TRio than any of their other Pokemon, and he was originally introduced, what, sixteen years ago? My point was with that in mind, it would be nice to see more episodes that feature a bit more of his personality, which you pointed out he DOES have (obviously not as much as the TRio, but still). I think he does have more potential beyond his usual running gags, so I'm just saying I'd like to maybe see the writers give him more to do if he ends up being out of his Pokeball all the time in SM.

As for what more the writers can do with him, it's a good hypothetical question, and again, I think there's some more potential there! As an example, I liked that he was more involved in the XY Musashi episode where she almost leaves TR for that Dr. White guy. They involved Sonansu as an important partner and part of Musashi's life (as compared to Bakeccha, who wasn't mentioned at ALL, if I'm not mistaken). We hadn't seen an episode focus so much on Sonansu since the Johto series, right? That's a long time!

We get so much of other characters' Pokemon's personalities shining through and interacting with fellow Pokemon, I do feel like Sonansu often gets left behind in this regard. Taking XY063 as a nice example of how Musashi and him can interact together on an affectionate level, we could at least see more of that affection, right? Or from the others, why not? Wouldn't have to be all the time, just more often.

That's just my personal two cents'. I enjoy your input, as always!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom