• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Sun and Moon's genre the right one for Pokemon?

What's the point in developing Ash's companions given they will be axed by Gen 8?

You could ask the same thing for pretty much all of the other traveling companions. Why would this series be any different in that regard. If they're going to have characters around for a series to promote a generation, they might as well do something with them instead of just letting them fade into the background.

You could ask the same thing for pretty much all of the other traveling companions. Why would this series be any different in that regard. If they're going to have characters around for a series to promote a generation, they might as well do something with them instead of just letting them fade into the background.

No need for the fans to invest in those characters.
Plus, the writers won't know how to handle all 5 of them.

No need for the fans to invest in those characters.
Plus, the writers won't know how to handle all 5 of them.

Again, this isn't really anything new for Pokemon. The vast majority of characters in the main cast are just around for one series. Why would fans want to be invested in Dawn or Serena's storylines for example knowing that they only were going to be around for one series? Why even bother being invested in any of the characters besides Ash and Team Rocket with this logic. As for the writers not knowing how to handle all five of them, that could be an issue, especially when they haven't been able to balance out the screentime for previous casts particularly well, but it doesn't mean that people can't be invested in those characters either.

I actually feel like this format is working out well so far as far as the companions are concerned. With them being stationary, if there's really no reason to have one or even some of the characters in the episode, then they're not there for most of it, or in some cases, they're not in the episode at all. I honestly like that a whole lot better than having the companions in every single episode but having them standing in the background ~75% of the time just making commentary.

Of course, we're still very early on in the series and the writers could easily drop the ball on that front. But for now, I like how it's working out.

Again, this isn't really anything new for Pokemon. The vast majority of characters in the main cast are just around for one series. Why would fans want to be invested in Dawn or Serena's storylines for example knowing that they only were going to be around for one series? Why even bother being invested in any of the characters besides Ash and Team Rocket with this logic. As for the writers not knowing how to handle all five of them, that could be an issue, especially when they haven't been able to balance out the screentime for previous casts particularly well, but it doesn't mean that people can't be invested in those characters either.

Then maybe the fans shouldn't get too invested in these characters.
You like Lillie? Too bad! She will disappear next series and get forgotten.
Heck! A lot of Ash's friends have no influence on him.

And since Misty and Brock are disposable, I don't see why the TRio isn't.

Then maybe the fans shouldn't get too invested in these characters.
You like Lillie? Too bad! She will disappear next series and get forgotten.
Heck! A lot of Ash's friends have no influence on him.

And since Misty and Brock are disposable, I don't see why the TRio isn't.

I'm still confused as to why this is now suddenly a problem. This has been the case since either AG or DP began. We know that the most of the main cast is only around for one series with only a few exceptions. Why is it suddenly an issue for SM but not for any of the other series? That's the part that confuses me and one you haven't really explained clearly. I know that the characters will be replaced, but if I'm going to be watching the show, which I obviously will once the dub premieres, I'd rather be invested in their characters and storylines instead of just having them in the background or just focused on how they'll only be around for a few years. This is extremely poor and flawed logic.

As for why Team Rocket isn't disposable, they're extremely popular characters, especially in Japan. They did get a radio drama during BW, despite how they were written out of character for most of that series, they've been used to promote the newest movie's Pokemon distribution for quite awhile and they provide some conflict for the show. Getting rid of Misty or Brock was more reasonable given that Misty had the weakest reason to be in the main cast and Brock had already been replaced once before for the Orange Islands. Much like Ash, Team Rocket will be sticking around for better or for worse.

I'm still confused as to why this is now suddenly a problem. This has been the case since either AG or DP began. We know that the most of the main cast is only around for one series with only a few exceptions. Why is it suddenly an issue for SM but not for any of the other series? That's the part that confuses me and one you haven't really explained clearly. I know that the characters will be replaced, but if I'm going to be watching the show, which I obviously will once the dub premieres, I'd rather be invested in their characters and storylines instead of just having them in the background or just focused on how they'll only be around for a few years. This is extremely poor and flawed logic.

As for why Team Rocket isn't disposable, they're extremely popular characters, especially in Japan. They did get a radio drama during BW, despite how they were written out of character for most of that series, they've been used to promote the newest movie's Pokemon distribution for quite awhile and they provide some conflict for the show. Getting rid of Misty or Brock was more reasonable given that Misty had the weakest reason to be in the main cast and Brock had already been replaced once before for the Orange Islands. Much like Ash, Team Rocket will be sticking around for better or for worse.

They should have gotten rid of Ash and Team Rocket at the end of DP given BW was a reboot and there's no way the Ash from BP and the Ash from the other series are the same people. Same for the TRio.

They should have gotten rid of Ash and Team Rocket at the end of DP given BW was a reboot and there's no way the Ash from BP and the Ash from the other series are the same people. Same for the TRio.

BW was at best a soft reboot. The first episode showed references to previous events with the items in Ash's room. Not to mention Dawn came back and recognized Ash, so clearly it wasn't a reboot. We're still following the same Ash from the original series since each series is still set within the same continuity. If you're not going to explain why characters being around for only one series is suddenly now a problem for and just continue complaining about Ash being the main lead, which has been beaten to the ground and then some over the years, then I'm not particularly interested in continuing this discussion beyond this point.

BW was at best a soft reboot. The first episode showed references to previous events with the items in Ash's room. Not to mention Dawn came back and recognized Ash, so clearly it wasn't a reboot. We're still following the same Ash from the original series since each series is still set within the same continuity. If you're not going to explain why characters being around for only one series is suddenly now a problem for and just continue complaining about Ash being the main lead, which has been beaten to the ground and then some over the years, then I'm not particularly interested in continuing this discussion beyond this point.

I had this problem with all series starting with AG, but I wasn't on this forum yet.
I responded about Ash in another thread. But he was so OOC.

I had this problem with all series starting with AG, but I wasn't on this forum yet.
I responded about Ash in another thread. But he was so OOC.

Well, the issue of Ash's friends being replace doesn't really have much to do with this thread's topic to begin with. It doesn't connect back to the genre that the SM is about, so it would be better to create a different thread on this topic if you really wish to focus on it more instead of using this thread to tackle that unrelated issue.

if they combine back the league and make him gain a bigger goal lets say in the 25 episode then it will work well.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom