• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN020: Go Towards Your Dream! Satoshi and Go!!

It's not; Suicune used Roar against Eusine in Johto and I have vague memories of it being used in other episodes as well. I'm thinking maybe Team Magma's Mightyena used it at some point in Hoenn.
Houndoom, actually. Not Mightyena. And there was also an Arcanine that used it during the Battle Frontier, Entei in Johto, and Steven's Aron in Hoenn.

This episode wasn't completely bad because it was nice to see the passion in Ash's and the kids' eyes but that was basically it when it comes to positive aspects...

For the rest of the episode, I must say there were too many flaws in it and the episode itself felt extremley rushed, too.
A few examples:
- Go catching Pokemon constantly as if they were souvenirs and without any effort is getting on my nerves so badly... it contradicts everything we've learned both in the games and, of course, in the Anime itself so far. It's by far the worst aspect of the new show and I'm starting to like Go less and less. This has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the way a real Pokemon trainer should act....
- Ash's PWC battle was nice but pretty rushed at teh same time. What somehow left a bitter aftertaste was the fact that after winning only two (!) battles, Ash already climbed up the ranks from 10.000th to the 1251th place. Really?? Sure, his first opponent was very strong, but this time he climbed up too quickly. I'm afraid the writers are planning to rush through the different classes and I don't know if it's such a good idea...
- TRio was really unnecessary today. They had such a great episode last time, so why did they have to ruin it again this week?
- And finally, the random Lugia/Mew appearance felt a bit forced if you ask me

All in all, too many flaws and way too rushed.

- Ash's PWC battle was nice but pretty rushed at teh same time. What somehow left a bitter aftertaste was the fact that after winning only two (!) battles, Ash already climbed up the ranks from 10.000th to the 1251th place. Really?? Sure, his first opponent was very strong, but this time he climbed up too quickly. I'm afraid the writers are planning to rush through the different classes and I don't know if it's such a good idea...
Well, they can always bring in a powerful trainer like a champion or a E4 member to beat him and force him down the ranks.

Team Rocket weren't really necessary, existing only to provide a conflict which didn't need to be there and could easily have been excised to give screentime to showing Gou actually battling his catches so his half could have been not awful.

You know just as well as I do that that's not what would have happened. A Rocket-less episode would have just meant that Gou would have chucked more Monster Balls at more Pokémon, or we would have gotten more shots of Rabifuto being all moody, or we would have gotten a longer explanation about Pokémon Orienteering (an explanation that wouldn't have affected the storyline whatsoever), or something other than what we'd actually want.

Y'all need to stop pretending that removing the Rocket trio is the secret to magically making every episode good.

I feel the episode actually acknowledged Go's faults. He and Ash are set up as having completely opposite opinions in regards to battling (Go battling only when he's catching a string Pokémon, while Ash is happy to battle whenever he gets the chance) and bonding with Pokémon (Ash believes in bonding with Pokémon through battles, while Go believes in bonding with them by just catching them). I actually believe Go believing in this kind of bonding could be because of his limited social skills. It was established right at the beginning of the series that he's not very good at making friends. I hope I'm conveying my thought process here in an understandable way.

What somehow left a bitter aftertaste was the fact that after winning only two (!) battles, Ash already climbed up the ranks from 10.000th to the 1251th place. Really??
I like to think that the Normal class mostly consists of hobby trainers and low skill upstarts trying their chance to become World Champions, which is why Ash climbed so quickly, since he already outclasses everyone else in his rank range. I expect the climb to slow down the further he moves up in rankings.
You know just as well as I do that that's not what would have happened. A Rocket-less episode would have just meant that Gou would have chucked more Monster Balls at more Pokémon, or we would have gotten more shots of Rabifuto being all moody, or we would have gotten a longer explanation about Pokémon Orienteering (an explanation that wouldn't have affected the storyline whatsoever), or something other than what we'd actually want.

Y'all need to stop pretending that removing the Rocket trio is the secret to magically making every episode good.
They could have done anything else like extending Ash's battle, having Gou battle a few captures, have a raid battle with Lugia, have Gou iterate in how his path helps him to his goal (like how Ash did in this very episode), give Koharu more development etc. instead of throwing TRio down the drain just to add some cheap conflict which was executed in a poor manner.

Hey, at least they managed to show the difference between Ash/Gou as being complete opposites and selfless/selfish respectively.
while Go believes in bonding with them by just catching them).
Your points about Gou makes sense, except in regards to this. After catching a Pokemon, they automatically accept him and are completely fine with no issues, which makes it a Deus ex machina.

Last edited:
Your points about Gou makes sense, except in regards to this. After catching a Pokemon, they automatically accept him and are completely fine with no issues, which makes it a Deus ex machina.
Usually, that is true. But in this episode, you can see that Pidgey and the Nidoran clearly felt a little alarmed when Go just suddenly started hugging them like old friends.

Usually, that is true. But in this episode, you can see that Pidgey and the Nidoran clearly felt a little alarmed when Go just suddenly started hugging them like old friends.
True, I did notice that and I hope that they go somewhere with it instead of instantly having those three be all goody goody two shoes buddies with Gou. If you noticed something else, those very three started swarming and cuddling with Koharu much to her discomfort so there's a possible sub-plot for her right there.

True, I did notice that and I hope that they go somewhere with it instead of instantly having those three be all goody goody two shoes buddies with Gou. If you noticed something else, those very three started swarming and cuddling with Koharu much to her discomfort so there's a possible sub-plot for her right there.

It was kind of embarrassing when Gou's pokémon CHOSE Koharu.

I am whelmed.

Like a few other people have pointed out already, this episode was just a 20 weeks-late-introductory-episode that covered all 3 of the main what to expect going into the rest of the anime: Ash battling other strong trainers to rank up in the PWC, Go catching every Pokemon to pursue Mew, and Team Rocket showing up with the Gachat machine to create conflict. I don't have a problem with the concept of the episode itself but the way it was actually executed was dull and aside from the Meganium battle nothing out of the ordinary caught my eye and it felt like an average episode. Go continues to be one-note by catching every Pokemon with relative ease, and TRio didn't add anything to the episode besides doing a 30 second battle to say "we exist!" Overall a fine first episode if someone wanted to get into the series, but as an actual episode? Kinda weak to me.

OVERALL SCORE:
6/10

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom