• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN030: The Reluctant Pikachu and the Exasperated Barrierd

...Not sure if this was said yet, but basically I feel that the idea of a jealous Pikachu would work with a Greninja or Infernape type situation. Riolu could easily get there, but we're a few dozen episodes away from it.

My views:
:bulbaLove::bulbaLove::bulbaLove:
1) Animation and scenes were solid.
2)Delia was great and Chloe was good too.
3)At least Goh is not dumping Sobble.
4)Goh battling
5)Mimey:wynaut:
6) Emotional:bulbaWave:
:bulbaFacepalm::bulbaFacepalm::bulbaFacepalm:
1) Out of character for both Ash and Pikachu
:annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb:Rant: Everything was good except the concept Screenshot_2020_0729_143630.png Screenshot_2020_0729_143630.png Screenshot_2020_0729_143630.png out of 5

A bit of a sticking point, but Ash’s apology never has him admit he’s been favouring Riolu over Pikachu recently. Ash does cop the blame for neglecting Pikachu, but we’ll see in future episode if he learns from this and spends more time with Pikachu.

The more I think about it the more realistic I find pikachu's actions. He doesn't have a reminder of why he should stay with Ash and be okay when he does something stupid(or something very OoC in this case), that's why the episode 1 flashback was needed. And the reason why him running away makes sense is far more than just jealousy, he was mad at Ash for brushing him off as lazy for practically no reason (damn didn't that trigger my hate for school in the most indirect way possible), for being cut off every time he tries to train(added with the previous reason), the jealousy part comes with Delia, he wanted attention so he pulled a horrible expression in-coming I-swear-if-you-do-this-(which-I-know-you-would)-I'll-get-mad-because-I'm-sure-something-good-is-gonna-happen-after-I-get-a-reason-even-an-irrational-one-to-be-angry-so-I-have-to-make-myself-annoyed-over-what's-not-as-bad-as-I'm-putting-it when Delia was leaving(Did anyone understand what I'm trying to say). Now I can relate to a fictional thunder rat, I don't know what to feel about that, also this case is very different than with greninja and the otners because most of what I said didn't happen with them.
On the other side, Ash was a piece of sh*t, kinda, but I'll stop myself from ranting.

I must be the only one glad that we didn't get to see Koharu scold Ash for neglecting Pikachu, because it would just drive home even more how nonsensical the entire conflict is.

Yeah, the one thing this episode was missing was that they never talk about Riolu, purposefully or just being headstrong and oblivious, was taking Ash’s attention and battles away from Pikachu even when Riolu was tired and shouldn’t have continued fighting.

I think there should have been a moment where Pikachu and Riolu themselves made up where Riolu realized that he had done something wrong. Riolu is still young and learning things.

When Ash said that “Riolu was trying so hard” when Pikachu fell asleep, it seemed like he was implying Riolu was trying to impress Pikachu, but they never go into it because Riolu doesn’t show up again during the apology. I hope Pikachu and Riolu themselves have a relationship and bond, especially if they’re going to be pushed as a duo.

Last edited:
Yeah, the one thing this episode was missing was that they never talk about Riolu, purposefully or just being headstrong and oblivious, was taking Ash’s attention and battles away from Pikachu even when Riolu was tired and shouldn’t have continued fighting.

I think there should have been a moment where Pikachu and Riolu themselves made up where Riolu realized that he had done something wrong. Riolu is still young and learning things.

When Ash said that “Riolu was trying so hard” when Pikachu fell asleep, it seemed like he was implying Riolu was trying to impress Pikachu, but they never go into it because Riolu doesn’t show up again during the apology. I hope Pikachu and Riolu themselves have a relationship and bond, especially if they’re going to be pushed as a duo.

Riolu maybe a baby who’s only nine episodes old, but it’s in need of development as part of a team. Previous Pokemon like Infernape and Greninja haven’t sought out to monopolise Ash’s focus away from the rest of his team like Riolu has for their arcs, and I’d rather have had a scene where Ash finally says No to Riolu when he realises he’s neglected Pikachu than the whole extensive travel montage for Pikachu and Mr Mime.

Riolu maybe a baby who’s only nine episodes old, but it’s in need of development as part of a team. Previous Pokemon like Infernape and Greninja haven’t sought out to monopolise Ash’s focus away from the rest of his team like Riolu has for their arcs, and I’d rather have had a scene where Ash finally says No to Riolu when he realises he’s neglected Pikachu than the whole extensive travel montage for Pikachu and Mr Mime.

Lol. Then we get Jealous Riolu episode.

None of Ash's reserved Pokémon at Professor Oak's Laboratory have appeared in this episode, you don't think that they were mentioned in this episode, do you? Why?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom