• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN035: Get Pikachu!!

But one thing that really bugged me: Ash seriously didn't have another Pokemon on him besides Pikachu? I get they were playing him "battling" Mincinno for laughs but...I didn't think it was funny? He's got almost a full team of Pokemon and I'm supposed to believe he didn't bring a single one with him? They're small instances, but Journeys is really butchering certain aspects of his character, and I don't like it.
I have one theory each for in and out of universe reasons he leaves everyone behind, for what it's worth.
In-universe--spending time at the lab is just better than staying in a pokéball all day just in case he needs you.
Out of universe--they don't want to keep coming up with excuses for Dragonite (who can fly and has incredible strength) to not handle every TR problem with ease.

Dunno how to factor in Gengar though, maybe it just decided to tag along for the adventure?
Now to think of it, it could be a fun running gag if Gengar occasionally came out of Ash's shadow at times because he likes to stalk him around the regions or such. It would also make sense given that he was a neglected Pokémon who waited for its trainer to return for several seasons on the exact same spot.

Now to think of it, it could be a fun running gag if Gengar occasionally came out of Ash's shadow at times because he likes to stalk him around the regions or such. It would also make sense given that he was a neglected Pokémon who waited for its trainer to return for several seasons on the exact same spot.
That's a cool idea indeed. By staying in Ash's shadow, it not only can pop out to protect or assist him whenever needed but also mitigates the issue with staying cooped up in Pokeballs. That, and maybe we'll see the return of log tossing / high jumping Ash strength aided by Gengar.

Has anyone noticed that Goh's regular Magikarp seems to have vanished into thin air? We've only ever seen his giant one since episode 24. Not as much as a cameo from the smaller one.
Did Exeggcute ever reappeared after being captured? I do remember it was the only pokémon caught by Goh before the Corona-break not to reappear in the episode which focussed on the pokémon and their food conflict in the park. (Not even a cameo at the end like Ratatta.)

And I don't know if we ever saw it in the background of other episodes after this one.

Edit: never mind. I just started to rewatch the scenes inside the park and Exeggcute made a cameo appearence in this episode. Hooray. The others didn't eat it because they were hungry. ;)

Hopefully we'll also see the regular Magikarp again in the future. ;)

Last edited:
Did Exeggcute ever reappeared after being captured? I do remember it was the only pokémon caught by Goh before the Corona-break not to reappear in the episode which focussed on the pokémon and their food conflict in the park. (Not even a cameo at the end like Ratatta.)

And I don't know if we ever saw it in the background of other episodes after this one.
It was briefly seen in this episode. Still more than the regular sized Magikarp.

It was briefly seen in this episode. Still more than the regular sized Magikarp.
Yeah, I also just noticed. Hopefully Goh's regular sized Magikarp will be seen again in the future.

Maybe the writers can let the regular one evolve? That would be nice. (And I can't wait for the fandom to complain about Goh having a Gyarados, while you can evolve your Magikarp at Lv 20 ;) )

Okay, they managed to actually surprise me, much to my amazement, with that evolution behind the rock twist, so I count this as a "safe."
Sorry to Raichu fans, but I'd prefer to have a female Pikachu as a regular character.
That battle was surprisingly good. Really liked Satoshi to battle himself.

That was a perfectly cromulent episode. It helps that TR showed up early instead of waiting until the second half.

The good:
- Loved seeing TR use a machine other than the Gachat. More of this please.
- "Itadakinyasu!"
- The Gachat managed to be less annoying due to the mons of the day being more fun than usual.
- Good Pikachu antics, especially the crane game, Pikachub, and synchronized Pika-marching.
- Go taking a Pokeball to the face never fails to amuse me.
- Non-asshole Raichu.

The bad:
- Another effortless Go capture. Not too bad as far as those go but it still annoys me.
- No mention of Morpeko.
- I wanted the Pikachu Song when they were marching.

The surprising:
- Main cast Raichu. But being a Go mon how much will we get to see of her?

That's a cool idea indeed. By staying in Ash's shadow, it not only can pop out to protect or assist him whenever needed but also mitigates the issue with staying cooped up in Pokeballs. That, and maybe we'll see the return of log tossing / high jumping Ash strength aided by Gengar.

We did see him knock down a guy twice his size in Gengar's capture episode. I figured Gengar had a hand in that.

Last edited:
I think having a Raichu is better (even removing my bias) since we already have a Pikachu on the main cast for 20 years... And solely being female isn’t a merit for having a second Pikachu. Not to mention the species managed to get overexposed once in a while every series so you’ve got plenty of different Pikachu to watch.

It's never going to stop; I think we've had more nice or at least normal Raichu than jerks but it still goes on.
Worst of all, the original "jerk" Raichu wasn't even that bad.
Wow, so evil!
20200903_154431.jpg

Worst of all, the original "jerk" Raichu wasn't even that bad.
Yep. Surge's Raichu was arrogant and dismissive, and sent his opponents straight to the Pokémon center (though Blaine was worse and I don't see anyone say Magmar are horrible because of it--battles in Kanto could get brutal), but he was a good sport when he lost. I'd argue some of the protagonist's Pokemon like Corphish or Croagunk were more aggressively jerks than him.

I think the only really bad Raichu was Sho's, who almost killed Pikachu in their first fight.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom