• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN139: Takeshi and Dent and the Forest Witch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because, believe it or not, there's more to Serena than just her relationship with Ash. Her episode was about showcasing her development from her off-screen adventures and connecting with Chloe. It wasn't about her crush on Ash nor did it really need to focus on that relationship. I can understand wanting to see more interactions between them, but at the same time, treating Serena as just an object for more shipping bait is both depressing and frustrating. She isn't my favorite female character in the anime, but it is really annoying and upsetting to see people treat her as just "girl with crush on Ash." This isn't new sadly, but I hate it a lot.

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised that Cilan is going to show up. I wasn't quite sure if any other former traveling companions would show up in these specials, but getting to see Cilan makes sense given that he didn't get a proper appearance in Journeys. I don't know if that makes it more likely for every other traveling companion to appear, especially when it seems unlikely that they'd be able to give May a speaking role at this point, but that would be nice so that this mini-series could pay tribute to ideally every series instead of just the original one.
Agreed. It’s genuinely sad that because the writers introduced a plot point of her having a crush on Ash that being 1/2 of a ship has become basically her entire legacy. When the other girls of the cast are brought into discussion there’s plenty of what people talk about in regards to their stories and the legacy they left behind in the anime but 9/10 times when Serena is brought up it’s only pertaining to something with amourshipping and really gives the impression that the only impression that she made in XY was being an object to be tied at the hip to Ash rather than someone who can stand on her own merits like the other girls. Honestly, in regard to her legacy, amourshipping was a mistake.

Because, believe it or not, there's more to Serena than just her relationship with Ash. Her episode was about showcasing her development from her off-screen adventures and connecting with Chloe. It wasn't about her crush on Ash nor did it really need to focus on that relationship. I can understand wanting to see more interactions between them, but at the same time, treating Serena as just an object for more shipping bait is both depressing and frustrating. She isn't my favorite female character in the anime, but it is really annoying and upsetting to see people treat her as just "girl with crush on Ash." This isn't new sadly, but I hate it a lot.

I don't want to keep harping on this subject because I agree that it is INSANELY annoying how Serena has to be brought up in every single thread by some users, but I just wanted to highlight this part of your post because it is so accurate and I think more people need to see and understand it.

Especially watching Pokémon as a female fan, it's really gross how Serena is basically just treated as an object, largely by Amourshippers. Like actually depressing, honestly. It's become a big reason why I've honestly been happy she hasn't shown up for so long: because the way she's treated, largely by her own "fans," straight up bums me out.

Her one appearance in Journeys having nothing to do with Ash and focusing on her growth as a coordinator was nice. I hope her inevitable return in these episodes gets the same treatment.

I don't want to keep harping on this subject because I agree that it is INSANELY annoying how Serena has to be brought up in every single thread by some users, but I just wanted to highlight this part of your post because it is so accurate and I think more people need to see and understand it.

Especially watching Pokémon as a female fan, it's really gross how Serena is basically just treated as an object, largely by Amourshippers. Like actually depressing, honestly. It's become a big reason why I've honestly been happy she hasn't shown up for so long: because the way she's treated, largely by her own "fans," straight up bums me out.

Her one appearance in Journeys having nothing to do with Ash and focusing on her growth as a coordinator was nice. I hope her inevitable return in these episodes gets the same treatment.
I hear you. It bums me out as well, as the biggest reason I enjoy Serena’s character is her Performer career. Her reasons for doing it, to give back to society and make people smile, are the exact same reasons I want to go into video game development. Here are links to two posts that show how much her character means to me, as remembering Serena’s story actually helped me move my life forward. I can’t really say any other character in Pokémon has done that for me.

But yeah, I’m going to have to abstain from all future conversations about Serena until she shows up again. Being a fan of her is way harder than it has any right to be, but I know I have good reasons for appreciating her character. I like every other main character as well. Misty was my childhood as well, she and Brock are still among my favorites too. Pokémon has brought me many great memories throughout my life, and I just want to appreciate that we’re going to see all of these characters one more time. I’m not going to let anything ruin these episodes for me. This show means too much to me for people to bring me down for simply liking things.

I don't understand. This miniseries is supposed to tie up a 25 year series. Why do these episodes just seem like episodic ones that feature past companions instead of CotDs? I get that they want to show off all the companions (or so it seems) but it seems kind of weird to do so in this format instead of giving them a proper closure episode that are focused on their whole character.

Hmm, maybe it's capturing Brock because of the pokédex entries about it disliking loud noises and he's currently in one of his heartbreak phases? Earlier stages dislike strong emotion in general, too.

I don't understand. This miniseries is supposed to tie up a 25 year series. Why do these episodes just seem like episodic ones that feature past companions instead of CotDs? I get that they want to show off all the companions (or so it seems) but it seems kind of weird to do so in this format instead of giving them a proper closure episode that are focused on their whole character.
Yeah, I'm wondering about this too.

Despite declaring this as the final chapter, I'm not too convinced that they're going for tying up storylines or giving out proper closure to characters, partly because the anime isn't really that story driven. It might be more like a fun sendoff for Ash and his various traveling companions more so than anything else, especially when it may be a long time before any of them appear in the anime again.

Despite declaring this as the final chapter, I'm not too convinced that they're going for tying up storylines or giving out proper closure to characters, partly because the anime isn't really that story driven. It might be more like a fun sendoff for Ash and his various traveling companions more so than anything else, especially when it may be a long time before any of them appear in the anime again.
Yeah, there's nothing actually happening in-universe that warrants a sudden and definite closure for any of the characters, barring Gou and Koharu for obvious reasons. Everyone's mostly still doing their own thing. Even Ash is still journeying around as usual, after winning the biggest tournament of his life. I think it's more natural to have Ash reuniting with his past companions through these fun little adventures, reminiscent of the ones that they had during their past journeys together.

I'm not saying that we won't see any development or closure for the characters at all, but it can happen organically in these little episodic adventures without the episodes being specifically framed as a send-off for them.

Wow, another thread with the same people derailing it into Amourshipping nonsense! I wish I could say I was surprised at this point. I really hope something can be done to stop this because I'm (like so many others) frustrated at how it seems like every. single. thread. has to become Amourshipping discussion. Serena isn't even in this damn episode and people are talking about her alleged relationship with Satoshi. Can we please talk about the actual episode?

Anyways- I am also a bit surprised at how this seems to be a bit more...well I don't want to say "filler" but it does seem like a smaller-scope episode than I was initially expecting from a supposed "final series" with only 11 episodes. If this series had been made to last for a year, or even like 30 episodes, I would understand a bit more, but with such a small amount of time to work with I'm a little worried about this episode and the Kasumi one. At least this one has Dent in it- maybe characters like Hikari and the XY group won't get as much focus here because they had more time to shine in PM19? It would still be a shame though.

I've said this before but I'll repeat it here- I believe Satoshi won't get any "closure" outside of "I will always continue to travel and meet new Pokemon!" because a) that's his whole character and b) it leaves the door open for future specials down the line. However, like I've said about the Rocket trio, I hope that same approach doesn't apply to the rest of the show. What is the point of making a "final series" if you're not going to do anything interesting with it? Why refuse to give any sense of finality in favor of the possibility of one or two specials 5 years from now? Of course I could be wrong and maybe these episodes will have more of a sense of closure than they appear now- and I want to make it clear I am absolutely looking forward to them!- but I'm just confused.

If this miniseries is doubling as a farewell tour with old travelling companions one thing I’d like to see is Ash visiting Petalburg gym where Max has become a trainer and has a battle with Ash. It’d pay off for a character who is one of the most likely to be forgotten and who hasn’t appeared since a flashback still in Sinnoh iirc. Ash passing on a torch to Max feels appropriate and perhaps seeing normal types from later gens could be an interesting touch for Norman.

If this miniseries is doubling as a farewell tour with old travelling companions one thing I’d like to see is Ash visiting Petalburg gym where Max has become a trainer and has a battle with Ash. It’d pay off for a character who is one of the most likely to be forgotten and who hasn’t appeared since a flashback still in Sinnoh iirc. Ash passing on a torch to Max feels appropriate and perhaps seeing normal types from later gens could be an interesting touch for Norman.
Problem with that is that Max was stated to be too young to be a trainer and is a couple years younger than Ash. For him to suddenly be an official trainer, would mess with the anime’s own timescale. Only way a battle would work would be if he used some of Norman’s Pokémon saying that his dad had been letting him practice with them for when he became a trainer.

Problem with that is that Max was stated to be too young to be a trainer and is a couple years younger than Ash. For him to suddenly be an official trainer, would mess with the anime’s own timescale. Only way a battle would work would be if he used some of Norman’s Pokémon saying that his dad had been letting him practice with them for when he became a trainer.

I mean... they can make the argument that they used for Bonnie... let May/Norman catch mons for Max.

I mean... they can make the argument that they used for Bonnie... let May/Norman catch mons for Max.
Feels a bit late for something like that especially just for the sake of something as pointless as giving Max a battle with Ash. Besides, if it’s giving Ash any trainer battles in the epilogue, Max doesn’t even make the top 10 of who I’d rather see him battling especially when we only gave 11 episodes.

Kukui and Burnett conceived and birthed a baby between the end of SM and the first Alola reunion episode of Journeys. Time and biology run at speed of plot where the anime is concerned. In terms of air dates it wasn’t even a year between her showing (maybe she and Kukui got a bit too excited at having the house to themselves when Ash departed Alola) and the baby being what looks like a few months old, November 2019 and September 2020. Maybe the inter-region travel actually had a time factor for once.

Last edited:
Kukui and Burnett conceived and birthed a baby between the end of SM and the first Alola reunion episode of Journeys. Time and biology run at speed of plot where the anime is concerned. In terms of air dates it wasn’t even a year between her showing (maybe she and Kukui got a bit too excited at having the house to themselves when Ash departed Alola) and the baby being what looks like a few months old, November 2019 and September 2020. Maybe the inter-region travel actually had a time factor for once.
Heck, we even saw Vermillion City in winter a few times

ESHfGSrWAAExX7N

Time passes, just not for Ash's physical growth

He'll still be ten when all the PokeGirls are dust in the earth

Maybe time passes faster in Alola due to the Ultra Wormholes, like how time passes faster irl near black holes

I don't what I'm more interested in: Cilan coming back, or poor Hatterene getting to do something... :unsure:

What if humans evolves too? Pregnancy > Baby > Toddler > Ten Years Old > Teenager > Adult > Old person

That...would explain a lot, actually...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom