• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

There is no doubt about it anymore: Game Freak are working on a 3DS RPG, which is obviously a Pokemon game.

Given the timing of the hiring, we shouldn't expect a 2017 release date. A February 27th release, on the other hand, is certainly possible if they only need an extra programmer or two for the final touches. This is also implied by Nintendo's optimistic 3DS predictions for the current fiscal year (which will end on April 1st, 2018).

I don't know about you, but I am feeling confident that Kanto is going to be involved in a big way.

There could easily be a cross-platform release, you know.

And it is definitely Pokemon. Their smaller games are not RPGs for a reason, and a new one wouldn't be locked to Nintendo platforms (their last game was for PS4, Xbox One and PC).

I am happy that the next game is almost confirmed to be a 3DS game. I would like it to be released this year.

Probably not if they're still hiring people... 6-7 months would be cutting it awfully close. This would also explain the lack of an announcement at this point.

My bet is on February 27th. ORAS' release coincided with ORAS' 12th anniversary, so why shouldn't Kanto sequels coincide with RG's 22nd anniversary? Not to mention that 1998 (albeit not February) was when the franchise debuted outside Japan.

Last edited:
My hope is that the game will release this November- December and they only hired this developer so late because they need them for a specific thing which doesn´t need more than 6-7 months. (kinda like they were releasing XY staff members before the completion of the game)

Tbh, if I can wait to November I could also wait to February. But that would be the absolute latest that I could bear without being pissed off.

Last edited:
Well, they need to make an announcement by E3 if we're dealing with 2017. The E3 digital event will be about Switch games, so TPCi would make a separate announcement by then...

I wouldn't bet on it. I'm waiting for August.

Argh. Can kicked; another whole year without a game is really the last thing I wanted to hear, but... I guess at least there's some more certainty now.

(But, GF, if you GSC me this year, all is forgiven... <3)

Just as a hypothetical though - is it in any way feasible that the Stars rumor could be true, and we'd get Stars for the Switch this year, but then also get a final Gen 7 game for the 3DS next year? I'm not considering this too closely, it's just a passing thought, since Stars was supposedly developed alongside SM. Or would that all be too much for Game Freak to manage at once?

First of all, I really don't see the issue with waiting until February or even March. What's wrong with a more polished game?

If we get GSC and Detective Pikachu this year and an announcement for 2018, I'll be a happy camper.

Stars being Switch-exclusive only to be followed by a 3DS release would be too weird. My guess is that Stars doesn't exist, only alluding to a cross-platform release for a game that could be nothing like SM. We should all be suspicious of a "leak" from 6 months ago.

Last edited:
First of all, I really don't see the issue with waiting until February or even March. What's wrong with a more polished game?

Logistically, there's nothing wrong with it, of course. Take all the time they need to get it right.

I'm just impatient.

Stars being Switch-exclusive only to be followed by a 3DS release would be too weird.

Typing it out, that was kinda my thought too. Just trying to cover all the bases. (y)

Last edited:
I don't see Mega Evolution coming back in this generation, seeing as it clashes with Z-moves.

I don't really see how. They're just two different battle features that Pokemon can take advantage of. Sure, there's little reason to give any one Pokemon both a Z-move and a Mega Evolution, but I see no reason why they couldn't do both. Compared to the overall pool of Pokemon that exist, there are definitely not enough Mega Evolutions. They even stated before that they were interested in doing more Megas in the future. They just didn't add any in SM because they wanted to focus (just for SM) on the new features: Z-moves and Regional Variants. Putting in new mega evolutions would've cluttered things up a bit and taken away from the new features. Now that they all have their footing, they can start improving each of them. At least every Pokemon can use a Z-move. This is a huge benefit for Z-moves. They don't have to worry hard about making new exclusive Z-moves since every Pokemon is already basically capable. Megas, on the other hand, are severely limited and deserve additions to the list. I still don't see how they clash at all. Idk about you, but even if we got new Megas and Z-moves, I would just be double hyped.

What? And the alternative is?

I am not expecting it for this year if that's what you mean. As for Stars, arguing about it is pointless seeing as we'll know the answer in three weeks.

Since the next pokemon game will be on 3ds, doesn't that debunked the "Stars" rumor, since eurogamer said that "it'll be Switch Exclusive"

Some people think that Stars might be released this year for Switch, and the 3DS game will be released later.

I highly doubt that, so...

What? And the alternative is?
that they're just....hiring? i mean, the position opened up along with a map modeling one and a general programming position. and of course that one site could just be poorly written. after all, here are three openings for the same position (the general programming one, couldn't find any other listing for the 3D one other than the one that may have been on Game Freak's). that one posting can't even get Game Freak's working hours right. (1, 2, 3)

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom