• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

I'm not sure why people think it weird that Gamefreak need extra staff for a new 3DS Pokemon game. Chances are something happened which slowed down creating the game, and therefore need an extra person to help get things back on track. Things happen in workplaces all the time that can put work off, and for all we know, the same thing has happened here.
With one staff hiring is there still a chance of a pokemon game this year?

I guess it's better than 2015 for GAF, but for this forum? Here's the analogy:

Z=Kalos must be revisited like any other region! Let's ignore all the signs of a new generation for 2016! All hail our great lord Zygarde!

Stars=Game Freak must move onto the Switch this year! Screw the 3DS' user base! Game Freak's uneasiness about the Switch is just PR! Pokemon games get leaked months in advance all the time!

I wish I were exaggerating.

To be fair, Z was based on nothing but fan speculation while Stars (while I'm still skeptical) is based on a "leak" from a credible source.

We'll find that out before or at the E3, if they release a pokemon game this year.

Technically, the precedence is 4 months, i.e. the shortest timeframe between announcement and release ever has been 4 months. If we're getting a game this year, that technically means anything up until August is possible (however unlikely a wait that long is).

Well, Z had the Zygarde promotion going for it, although as soon as they revealed the XYZ series without a game, it should have been obvious that there wasn't going to be one. Stars, in contrast, isn't implied by anything TPCi has done or said this year. Necrozma getting a TCG set this early implies that they aren't waiting to give it a game.

It wouldn't make sense not to reveal a 2017 Switch game by E3, seeing as Nintendo need all the hype they can get. December would be a weird choice since it would be right after Black Friday, anyway.

Last edited:
Well, Z had the Zygarde promotion going for it, although as soon as they revealed the XYZ series without a game, it should have been obvious that there wasn't going to be one. Stars, in contrast, isn't implied by anything TPCi has done or said this year. Necrozma getting a TCG set this early implies that they aren't waiting to give it a game.

It wouldn't make sense not to reveal a 2017 Switch game by E3, seeing as Nintendo need all the hype they can get. December would be a weird choice since it would be right after Black Friday, anyway.
Your saying they'll pull another XYZ with Necromza, Necromza won't have it's game focus, but it'll focus on anime.

I don't think it will ever happen if they let this opportunity go. By late 2018 the 3DS will be quite worn out and they aren't going to spend resources on new Switch games that aren't a new generation (they might port USUM if they're even greedier than they already are). They had Go promoting the first two generations, the VC games, Movie 20 and the premise of Lillie's Kanto journey, but nope. It doesn't help that UMSM aren't sequels, so B2W2 may well be the last sequels ever.

A massive shame. But that's what happens when you have a fan base that is largely content with remakes and third versions.

Last edited:
I don't think it will ever happen if they let this opportunity go. By late 2018 the 3DS will be quite worn out and they aren't going to spend resources on new Switch games that aren't a new generation (they might port USUM if they're even greedier than they already are). They had Go promoting the first two generations, the VC games, Movie 20 and the premise of Lillie's Kanto journey, but nope. It doesn't help that UMSM aren't sequels, so B2W2 may well be the last sequels ever.

A massive shame. But that's what happens when you have a fan base that is largely content with remakes and third versions.

I don't believe we've ever agreed more strongly than now. USUM is a massive disappointment and potentialy GF's biggest missed opportunity ever. They had a perfect storm, with all the nostalgia and popularity filled factors you mentioned (GO, Movie 20, Kanto references and hints out the wazoo, etc.), and they completely dropped the ball. After we got quality sequels in B2W2, and after Gen VI didn't have any kind of rehash/third version, I really hoped they were finally on the right track and knew what they were doing. SM/RGBY sequels set in Kanto, as many of us expected, would've been the perfect choice given Pokémon's resurgence in mainstream popularity over the last year (and how to maintain it). This just serves as a reminder of how incompetent GF can be when left to their own devices. If I remember correctly, it was Iwata who previously got GF to end their pattern of third version rehashes (not to mention the guy whose programming skill made Gold/Silver possible when GF had simply motioned to cut half the content) and gave us high quality sequels with B2W2. I could go on, but I think I've ranted enough and made my point of agreement for now. Unless they shatter expectations (they've currently been set pretty low given their current info/comments) with a huge amount of new content (doubtful) in USUM, then I'll probably sit this game out and wait for the eventual release of Gen VIII, if anything.

They couldn't even manage to release Crystal with Gold/Silver VC, dammit. Not to mention they won't be released until September, despite the instant release of RGBY last year.

If Iwata were still alive... who knows. I'd like to think that he would have opened Game Freak's eyes about Kanto (that they can actually revisit it in an interesting way rather than relying on its Pokemon for other regions), but at the very least we wouldn't be getting paired third versions. He would have probably wanted a cross-platform release for the Switch's sake, but that could have worked for any games.

USM basically ends the possibility of Kanto Sequels on the 3DS, since they're likely to be the last games of Gen 7.

Oh, for sure. These are most likely the last Pokémon games on 3DS. The time has now come and gone. We can only assume they'll move to Switch next. I'm expecting Gen VIII in either 2018 or 2019, on Switch of course.

At the risk of upsetting some people, I also have to say that the final tally of 3DS games does not create a favorable comparison to the DS.

DS: Two sets of original games, one third version, one pair of remakes, one pair of sequels, 4 regions overall
3DS: Two sets of original games, one pair of remakes, one pair of third versions, 3 regions overall

And that's without getting into side features, or size comparisons (Kalos and Alola are clearly smaller than Sinnoh and Unova). Basically, it seems that the transition to 3D has taken its toll on content, making it hard to be optimistic for the Switch which will no doubt have more detailed graphics. They'll probably want two generations and one remake pair again, and that makes it really hard to pull off Kanto/Johto sequels even after the bloody 25th anniversary.

Last edited:
Basically, it seems that the transition to 3D has taken its toll on content

While it would likely never happen, I'm a huge supporter of going back to primarily 2D games. Going back to 2D games has the potential of higher amounts of content in every aspect of the game. In addition to supporting a full transition back to 2D, I also like the idea of potentially having a 2D overworld, and then a few 3D segments, like cutscenes for the story and maybe even the Pokedex and Battles if they felt extra ambitious. Not creating a 3D overworld and animations for everything in it would save a lot of time. And having 3D being exclusive to story cutscenes, and potentially battles/Pokedex, would keep the feel of a modern Pokémon game without taking a toll on its content.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom