• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Live from the Fireside, Season 12 (Week 321c: The Legend of Maide, part 3)

@Chimchar98; @The Jingster; @Tophat Dragoneye; @Soulmaster

Week 306d: The Jeweled Arrow, part 4

(real tale: The Jeweled Arrow)

"Everything happened exactly as Jaya had said, and without a moment's hesitation Varun picked out the right sister." Brock begins as he arrives onstage, picking up from where he left off the previous week. "The wizard, though enraged, cried..."

"You are the son-in-law for me! The wedding will take place tomorrow!" he cries in character as Aguni.

He intones as himself "When Varun heard what Aguni said, he was full of joy; but Jaya knew that her father did not mean a word of it. She waited quietly beside her lover till the wizard bade all the sisters but her to leave the hall. Then the wizard said...

"Before the ceremony there is one thing you must do for me." he explains as Aguni. "Go outside the town, and near the westernmost tower you will find a team of Tauros and a plow awaiting you. Close to them is a pile of three hundred bushels of sesame seeds. This you must sow today if you will be a bridegroom tomorrow."

He interjects as himself "Varun was dismayed at the task, but Jaya whispered to him..."

"Don't fear, for I will help you." he whispers as Jaya.

As himself, Brock continues "Sadly, Varun left the castle alone to seek the field, and the guards, who knew he was the accepted sweetheart of their favorite mistress, let him pass unhindered. There, near the western tower were the Tauros, the plow, and a great pile of seed. Never before had Varun had to work for himself, but his great love for Jaya made him want to do his best anyway. He was about to begin to guide the Tauros across the field, when something happened. Instead of an unplowed tract of land covered with weeds, there was a field with rows and rows of regular furrows. The piles of seed were gone, and flocks of birds were gathering in the hope of securing some of it as it lay in the furrows. Varun was staring in amazement when he saw Jaya coming towards him.

"I am my father's daughter, and not in vain," he smiles as Jaya. "I too know a trick or two. But the danger is not over yet. Go back to the castle and tell Aguni that his wishes are fulfilled."

As himself, he continues "Aguni was understandably angry when he heard that the field was plowed and the seed sown. He knew that some magic had been at work, and suspected that Jaya was the cause of it. Without a moment's hesitation he said to Varun..."

"As soon as you left for the field I decided not to have that seed sown. Go back, and pile it up where it was before." he instructs as Aguni.

He continues as himself "This time Varun was more confident in the power and will of his promised bride. So back he went to the field, and he found the whole vast space covered with millions and millions of Durants, busily collecting the seed and piling it up against the wall of the town. Again Jaya came to cheer him and again she warned him that their trials were not yet over. She feared, she said, that her father might prove stronger than herself; for he had many allies at neighboring courts ready to help him."

"Whatever else he orders you to do, you must see me before you leave the castle. I will send my faithful messenger to appoint a meeting in some secret place." he warns as Jaya.

He grins. "Aguni was not surprised when Varun told him that his last order had been obeyed, and thought to himself, 'I must get this tiresome fellow out of my domain, where that too clever child of mine will not be able to help him'."

"Ooh"s fill the air before Brock instructs an imagined person as Aguni "Well, you will have the pleasure of inviting the wedding guests. The first person to summon to the wedding is my brother Sardi, who lives in a deserted temple a few miles from here. Ride to that temple, rein up your steed opposite it, and cry, 'Sardi, your brother Aguni has sent me here to invite you to my marriage with his daughter Jaya tomorrow. Come and celebrate!' Your message given, ride back to me, and I will tell you what further tasks you must perform before the happy morning dawns."

As himself, Brock continues "When Varun left the castle, he did not know where to find a Ponyta to take him on this new errand. But as he was nearing the gateway he had walked through to sow the field with seed, a handsome boy approached him and said..."

"If my lord will follow me, I will tell him what to do." he tells an imagined person in a mimic of Forest for the boy.

Brock next explains as himself "The voice sounded familiar; and when the guards were far enough behind to be out of earshot, the boy revealed himself to Varun as Jaya in disguise. She led him to a tree, where there was a noble Ponyta that whinnied to its mistress as she approached."

A sound effect of a Ponyta whinny plays to illustrate Brock's point. "Ride this Ponyta." he instructs as Jaya. "She will obey you if you only whisper in her ear; and take earth, fire, wind and water with you, which I will give you. Go straight to the temple, and when you have called out your message, turn without a moment's delay, and ride for your life as fast as your steed will go, looking behind you all the time. No guidance will be necessary; for Epona - that is my Ponyta's name - knows well what she has to do."

He then reveals three prop jewels to the crowd. "Then Jaya gave Varun a ruby, a sapphire, and an emerald, hanging them on the front of his saddle so he could reach them easily."

"My father has given my uncle instructions to kill you, and he will follow you on his swift steed." he explains as Jaya. "When you hear him behind you, invoke the emerald first; if that does not stop him, invoke the sapphire; and if he still persists, invoke the ruby."

He continues as himself "After Varun was taught the words to invoke each jewel, he soon found himself opposite the temple. As soon as Varun shouted out his message to Sardi, he came rushing forth from the gateway, mounted on a huge Ponyta, which seemed to have flames from its nostrils as it bounded along. For a moment Varun feared that he was lost; but Epona, putting forth all her strength, pulled away from their enemy, giving Varun time to invoke the emerald...

With that, he sings as Varun Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo..., to cheers as the prop emerald glows in response to his voice.

As himself, he continues "The emerald glowed, and a great mountain rose up, blocking the road, and Varun felt that he was safe."

He sets the emerald aside and takes the sapphire. "But when he looked back, he saw Sardi coming over the top of the mountain. So he invoked the sapphire..."

As Varun, he sings Rou iitsa ron selga vichii..., making the prop sapphire glow.

He tosses the glowing prop sapphire from hand to hand as he continues "The sapphire glowed, and a huge roaring river hid the pursuer and the pursued from each other. Even this did not stop the mighty Ponyta of his pursuer. It somehow swam rapidly across, the rider loudly shouting out orders for Varun to stop."

After seeting down the sapphire and taking the ruby, he continues "When Varun heard the hooves on the dry ground behind him again, he invoked the ruby...

As Varun, he sings Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul..., making the prop ruby glow.

He continues as himself "In a moment the grass by the wayside and the trees overshadowing it were burning so fiercely that no living thing could approach them safely. Sardi was beaten at last, and fled as fast as he could, with the flames following after him as if they were eager to consume him."

Relieved applause goes up as Brock sets the glowing prop ruby with the other two glowing jewels. "Exhausted with all he had been through, Varun was taken back to the castle by the faithful Epona, and there he found his dear Jaya waiting for him. She told him that her father had promised her that if the prince came back, he would oppose her marriage no longer."

"He does not in the least expect to see you again, and even if he allows us to marry, he will never stop hating you; for I'm sure he knows that you shot the jeweled arrow at him when he was in the form of a Swanna." he explains as Jaya. "If I ever am your bride, he will try to punish you through me. But have no fear--I know how to keep him at bay. I have learned new spells from another uncle whose magic is stronger than that of any of my other relatives."

He narrates as himself "When Varun had rested, he went with his sweetheart to the great hall to meet with Aguni. The wizard had not expected to see him again, so he could not contain his rage."

"You have not invited my brother to the wedding. Describe the temple where Sardi lives and what its owner looks like." he demands as Aguni.

He assures the antsy crowd as himself "Varun described the temple and the terrible man riding the noble steed to the smallest detail. The wizard was convinced against his will; and knowing that he must keep his word, he gave his consent for marriage preparations to begin."

He then tells the audience "But there was one more trial for Varun and Jaya...I will tell you what it entailed next week!"

Week 306e: The Jeweled Arrow, part 5

(real tale: The Jeweled Arrow)

"The marriage was celebrated the next day with great pomp and splendor; and a beautiful suite of rooms was given to the bride and groom." Brock begins as the Firelights play a few measures of "Here Comes the Bride for effect. "But in spite of this they did not feel safe and happy, for they knew that Aguni hated them with all his being."

Worried whisers fill the room at this. "It didn't help that Varun began to feel homesick, and anxious to introduce his beautiful wife to his own people. He remembered that he had left his mother behind in prison, and mentally kicked himself for having forgotten her for so long. So he said to Jaya..."

"Let us go, my beloved, to my native land." he suggests as Varun. "My heart yearns for my family there, and I would love to introduce you to them."

"Darling, I will go with you whereever you go, even to the ends of the world." he vows as Jaya. "But my father would forbid us to leave this country, and send spies to watch our every move if you reveal our plans. We will slip away in secret, riding together on my faithful Epona and taking with us only what we can carry."

"And my jeweled arrow, so I may give it back to my father and explain to him how I lost it. Then I will be restored to his favor, and maybe he will forgive my mother too." he reminds the audience as Varun.

"Have no fear," he smiles as Jaya. "All will go well with us. Don't forget that new powers have been given to me, and they will save us from my father and aid me to rescue my mother-in-law from her evil fate."

As himself, he continues Before dawn the next day, the two set forth aboard Epona. When they thought they were safe, they heard a loud rushing noise from behind them; and looking around, they saw the father of the bride closing on them on his steed, with sword poised in his hand to strike."

Gasps go up, but Brock has other ideas "Fear not," he whispers as Jaya I will show you what I can do."

With that, he sangs as Jaya Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
Emusto koron zen fine, si...

Applause goes up at the familiar song and Brock's skill in mimicking a female voice. "On the last 'si' a burst of rainbow light engulfed Aguni, and when it faded, he had disappeared, never to be seen again." he assures the audience as himself.

He returns to his place at cente stage as he continues "Having gotten rid of Aguni, Jaya and her husband were soon out of his reach and in Varun's homeland, where many had presumed him dead. When the news was brought to Varun's father that a husband and wife had entered his capital, he hurrried to meet them, hoping that perhaps they could give him news of Varun's fate. He immediately recognized his son holding the jeweled arrow in one hand, as he guided Epona with the other. The next moment he was in his father's arms, everything forgiven and forgotten."

"Aw"s go up as the crowd pictures the heartwarming reunion. "Great was the rejoicing over Varun's return and hearty was the welcome given to his beautiful bride, who quickly won all hearts, save those of the wicked wives and sons who had tried to harm her husband and his mother. They feared the anger of the king when he found out how they had deceived him, and they were right to be very afraid." Brock continues. "The first thing Varun did was ask for his mother to be set free. He would not talk about any of his adventures, he said, unless she could hear them too; and the king, full of remorse for the way he had treated her, went with him to the prison where she had been held all this time."

He smiles. "Imagine Chandra's joy when the two entered the place where she had shed so many tears! She could not her eyes or ears at first, but she soon realized that her troubles were over. She could not be truly happy until her beloved said he knew she had never loved anyone but him. She had been falsely accused, she said, and she wanted the one who had lied about her be made to face the truth. This was done in the presence of the whole court, and when judgment had been passed on Kirati, the brothers of Varun were also brought before their father, who charged them with having deceived him. They too were condemned, and all the culprits were locked away in the dungeon for the rest of their lives."

He concludes "Varun, though he was the youngest of all the princes, was named heir to the throne. He often told others that if it were not for the jeweled arrow, he would never have met his beloved Jaya."

The crowd roars with applause as Brock and the Firelights bow together...

Week 307: The Littens' Servant

(real tale: The Colony of Cats)

Intrigued murmurs fill the auditorium as Brock arrives wearing a palm leaf print Alolan shirt. "It's good to be back after a combination vacation and lore gathering expedition in the Alola region--so I thought I'd share one of the tales Misty and I found...and dress up for the occasion." he explains.

With that, he begins "Long, long ago in Alola, during a time Pokemon could speak the words of humans, there lived a community of Littens in a deserted house they had taken possession of not far from a large town. They had everything they could possibly desire, they were well fed and had a roof over their heads, and if by any chance an unlucky Pichu was stupid enough to venture their way, they caught it, not to eat it, but for the pure pleasure of the chase."

Giggles and "aw"s fill he room as the audience pictures one of the black and red cat Pokemon chasing a Pichu. "The elders of the town told visitors how they had heard their parents speak of a time when the whole country was so overrun with Rattatas that there was not so much as a Cornn Berry to be gathered in the fields; and it might be out of gratitude to the cat Pokemon who had rid the country of these plagues that their descendants were allowed to live in peace." Brock explains. "No one knew where they got the money to pay for everything, or who paid for it. But one thing was for sure--they were rich enough to keep a servant; for though they lived very happily together, and did not fight any more than humans would have done, they were not clever enough to do the chores themselves, and preferred to have someone to cook their food. Not only were they very difficult to please about the housework, but most women quickly tired of living alone with only Littens for companions. It was for this reason no servant stayed for long; and it had become a saying in the town, when anyone found themselves reduced to their last penny: 'I will go and live with the Littens,' and so many people actually did just that."

He pauses for a moment before introducing the heroine of his tale. "My story concerns a lady named Lani. She was not happy at home, for her mother, who was a widow, was much fonder of her elder daughter--whose name is not important to us yet--so often the younger one was mistreated, and did not have enough to eat, while the elder one could have everything she desired, and if Lani dared to complain she was beaten. At last the day came when she was at her wit's end and she exclaimed to her mother and sister..."

"As you hate me so much you will be glad to be rid of me, I am going to live with the Littens!" he nearly screams in character as Serena for Lani, to some laughter.

As himself, he continues "With that, Lani ran and never stopped until she reached the door of the Littens' house. She was warmly welcomed, and she immediately set to work preparing dinner, but not without many misgivings as to the tastes of the Littens, and whether or not she would be able to satisfy them. Going about her work, she found herself frequently hindered by a constant succession of Littens who appeared one after another to inspect the new servant; she had one in front of her feet, another perched on the back of her chair while she peeled the vegetables, a third sat on the table beside her, and five or six others prowled about among the pots and pans on the shelves against the wall. The air resounded with their purring, which meant that they were pleased with their new maid, but Lani had not yet learned to understand their language, and often she did not know what they wanted her to do. However, as she was a kind-hearted girl, she set to work to pick up the little ones that tumbled about on the floor, she resolved many a conflict, and eventually befriended the chief Litten, the biggest and wisest of them all."

"Aw"s go up as the crowd pictures the heartwarming scene. "Lani's kindness made a favorable impression on the Littens, and it was even better after a while, when she had had time to grow accustomed to their ways. Never had the house been kept so clean, the meat so well served, nor the sick ones so well cared for." Brock explains. After a time they had a visit from an old Litten, whom they called their father, who lived by himself in a barn at the top of the hill, and came down from time to time to inspect the little colony. He too was smitten with Lani, and asked...

"Are you well served by this two-leg?" he asks in a mimic of Meowth for the Litten.

"Oh, yes, Popoki-dono, we have never had so good a servant!" he replies in a female version of Meowth for the other Littens.

He explains as himself "At each of his visits the answer was always the same; but after a time Popoki, who was very observant, noticed that Lani looked sadder and sadder."

"What is the matter, my child? Has anyone been unkind to you?" he asks as Popoki.

"Oh, no! They are all very good to me; but I long for news from home, and I long to see my mother and my sister." he replies as Lani.

"You may go home, and you will always be welcome here." he assures an imagined person as Popoki. "But first you must be rewarded for all your kindness to my children. Follow me down into the inner cellar, where you have never yet been, for I always keep it locked and carry the key with me."

As himself, Brock narrates "Lani looked around her in astonishment as they went down into the great vaulted cellar underneath the kitchen. Before her stood two big earthenware water jars, one of which contained oil, the other a liquid shining like gold.

"In which of these jars shall I dip you?" he asks as Popoki.

"In the oil jar." he stammers as Lani.

"No, no; you have deserved something better than that." he smiles as Popoki.

He smiles as he continues as himself "Lani swallowed hard, closed her eyes, and took the plunge into the liquid gold. When Lani came out of the jar she shone from head to toe like Ho'oh in all her golden glory. Her long black hair kept its natural color, but her skin had gained a golden sheen."

"Wow"s fill the air as the crowd imagines what Lani may have looked like. "Go home, and see your mother and sisters; but take care if you hear the Combusken to turn towards it; if the Ponyta whinnies, you must look the other way." Brock cautions as Popoki, quieting the whispers.

As himself, he continues "Lani, having gratefully kissed Popoki's head, set off for home; but just as she got near her mother's house a Combusken cried..."

A sound effect of a Combuusken's cry plays for effect. "...and quickly she turned towards it. Brock continues. "A beautiful silver moon appeared on her forehead, crowning her glossy black hair. At the same time a Ponyta whinnied, but Lani took care not to look over the fence into the field where the Ponyta was. Her mother and sister, who were in front of their house, gasped in astonishment when they saw her, and their cries became still louder when Lani, taking her handkerchief from her pocket, took out a handful of gold. For some days the mother and her two daughters lived very happily together, for Lani had given them everything she had brought with her save for golden clothing, for that would not come off, in spite of all the efforts of her sister, who was jealous of her good fortune. The silver moon also could not be removed from her forehead. But all the gold pieces she took from her pockets somehow found their way to her mother and sister."

He smiles. "Did I mention that the elder sister, whose name was Pouli, was jealous?"

In a mimic of Jessie for Pouli. he sneers "I will go now and see what I can get out of the kitties. I would like some of the Litten's gold for myself."

As himself, Brock goes on "The Littens had not yet taken another servant, for they knew they could never get one to replace Lani, whose loss they were still mourning. When they heard that Pouli was her sister, they all ran to meet her. 'She is not the least like her,' the young Littens whispered among themselves. 'It is not what is on the outside, but on the inside that counts.' their parents cautioned."

He sighs--he least favorite part is coming up. "But this was one of the few times you could judge the book by its cover--Pouli was not at all like Lani. Even the oldest of the Littens soon acknowledged that. The very first day she slammed the kitchen door in the faces of the Littens who enjoyed watching Lani at her work, and a young and mischievous Litten who jumped in by the open kitchen window and landed on the table got such a whack with the rolling pin, you could've heard him yowl across the entire Alola region!"

The crowd roars with laughter at this, but Brock isn't done yet. "With every day that passed the household became more and more aware of its misfortune. The work was as badly done as the servant was surly and disagreeable; in the corners of the rooms there were heaps of dust; Spinarak webs hung from the ceilings and in front of the windowpanes; the beds were hardly ever made, and the feather beds, so beloved by the older Littens, had never once been shaken since Lani left the house. When Popoki came, he found the whole colony in an uproar.

"My brother has one paw so badly swollen that it looks as if it were broken." he complains as one of the Littens. "Pouli kicked him."

"My father has an abscess in his back where a wooden chair was flung at him; and my sister's three babies have died of hunger beside their mother, because Pouli forgot them in their basket up in the attic. There is no putting up with the creature – please send her away, Popoki-dono! Lani herself would not be angry with us; she must know very well what her sister is like." he pleads as a female Litten,

"Come here," Brock instructs an imagined person, his "Popoki" voice gaining a note of his "somebody's in trouble" voice.

He interjects as himself "He took her down into the cellar and showed her the same jars he had shown Lani."

"In which of these shall I dip you?" he asks as the angry Popoki.

"In the liquid gold," he scoffs as Pouli.

"You have not deserved it!" he yells as Popoki, making some people jump.

As himself, he describes Pouli's punishment. "Pouli was so startled at Popoki's voice, she fell into the jar of oil, where she was nearly suffocated. When she came to the surface screaming and struggling, the vengeful Litten grabbed her again and rolled her in the ashes on the floor; When she emerged all dirty, blinded, and disgusting to behold, he threw her from the door.

"Begone, and when you meet a Ponyta be careful to turn your head towards it." he grumbles as Popoki.

Laughter goes up at this, but Brock has more pain in store for Pouli. "Stumbling and raging, Pouli set off for home, thinking herself fortunate to find a stick by the wayside with which to support herself. She was within sight of her mother's house when she heard a Ponyta whinny from a nearby field. She turned her head towards it, and at the same time put her hand up to her cheeks, and they inflated like two gray balloons. She ran home to her mother as fast as she could go, yelling with rage and despair; and it took Lani two hours to get rid of the ashes that Popoki had dirtied her with. As for her swollen cheeks, it was impossible to get rid of them; they remained swollen no matter what medicine they tried."

The audience can hardly contain itself laughing at how ridiculous Pouli would look, if she were real. "Their mother was furious. She first beat Lani with the broom, then took her to the well and lowered her into it, leaving her at the bottom crying for help." Brock intones.

Gasps go up at this, but Brock is quick to introduce Lani's rescuer to the tale. "Before all this happened, however, the chief of the island's son--we'll call him Palaina--passed that way, and saw Lani sewing on the lanai. It goes without saying he fell madly in love with her."

"Aw"s fill the air as Brock goes on After coming back a few times, he dared to approach the lanai, and whispered..."

"Lovely maiden, will you be my bride?" he nearly whispers in a mimic of Ash for Prince Palaina.

"I will." he relies as Lani.

As himself, he went on "The next morning, when Prince Palaina arrived to claim his bride, he found her wrapped in a large white veil. The mother hoped to make the king's son marry Pouli in place of her sister, and had done her best to hide Pouli's swollen cheeks under the veil. Prince Palaina was young and a little timid, so he made no objections, and invited Pouli in the carriage beside him. Their way led past the Littens' house, and they were all at the window, for word had gotten out that Prince Palaina was going to marry the most beautiful lady in the world, on whose forehead shone a silver moon, and they knew that this could only be their beloved Lani."

He grins "As the carriage passed in front of the old house, a song burst forth from inside, which went something like this..."

He then sings to no tune in particular Nya, nya, nya!
Milord, look quick behind you!
In the well is fair Lani,
And you've got ugly Pouli!

He interjects as himself "When he heard this the coachman, who understood the Littens' language better than Prince Palaina, stopped the Ponytas and attempted to figure out what the Littens were saying. The song burst forth louder than ever..."

He then sings again Nya, nya, nya!
Milord, look quick behind you!
In the well is fair Lani,
And you've got ugly Pouli!

Some light applause goes up at the song "Prince Palaina threw back the veil, and discovered the puffed-up, swollen face of Pouli, with the massive swollen cheeks! He ordered the Ponytas turned around, and he drove Pouli, quivering with rage, to the old woman who had sought to deceive him. With his hand on the hilt of his sword he demanded Lani in a voice so angry that the mother hurried to the well to draw her prisoner out."

Relieved applause goes up as Brock concludes "Lani's clothing and her silver moon shone so brilliantly that when Prince Palaina led her home to his father the chief, the whole ceremonial house was lit up in millions of sparkling lights. The next day Lani and Prince Palaina were married, and lived happy ever after, but it is said all the Littens, including their chief, Popoki, were at the wedding too."

"Aw"s and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow...

Last edited:

Week 308a: The King of the Waterfall, part 1

(real tale: The King of Waterfalls)

"There was once a young king of a far away land--we'll call him Dolan--who had tired of the hobbies he had enjoyed, and wanted to do something he had never done before." Brock begins as he arrives onstage--this time in his normal clothes. "As he pondered this, he got the idea to play chess with the goblin that lived near his castle."

"Ooh"s fill the air as Brock goes on "But though King Dolan was young and eager, he was also prudent, and his father had always told him to be very careful in dealing with fey and spirits, both good and bad. So before going to the goblin's cave, King Dolan sought out an old wizard that lived in the countryside."

"I want to play a game of chess with the goblin near my castle." he explains in an older version of Ash for King Dolan.

"Do you, now? If you value your life, you will play with someone else." he warns in a mimic of Flint for the wizard.

"No; I will play with the goblin." he vows as King Dolan.

"Well, if you must, I won't try to stop you. But if you do win a game, ask as a prize the girl that stands behind the door." he instructs as the wizard.

He interjects as himself "So before the sun rose, King Dolan got up and went to the goblin's cave."

"What has brought you here today, milord? But I welcome you all the same, and more welcome will you be if you will play chess with me." he smiles in a mimic of Meowth for the goblin.

He continues as himself "King Dolan agreed, and the game began."

Then, something occurs to Brock. "Now, chess in this land was not like chess as we know it in our world, but closer to games like Othello or Spot." he explains. "King Dolan took the red pieces, and the goblin took the blue ones. Sometimes it seemed as if one would win, and sometimes the other, but in the end King Dolan won by capturing all the goblin's pieces. When the goblin asked what he wanted as a prize, King Dolan insisted on the girl that stood behind the door--we'll call her Anya."

Light applause goes up in approval of the name. "He took her home, cleaned all the dust, ash, and sweat from her, and gave her clothes fit for a queen." Brock continues. "When she emerged, she was one of the most beautiful women in the world."

He grins "It goes without saying they were soon married."

Some applause starts to waft through the auditorium, but Brock isn't finished yet. "The next day, before the sun rose, King Dolan sprang from his bed, and told his wife he wanted to play another game of chess with the goblin."

"If you win that game, accept nothing for your prize but the shining Ponyta in the wooden shed." he instructs in a mimic of Serena for Queen Anya.

As himself, he continues "So King Dolan and the goblin played another game of chess, and King Dolan won the Ponyta handily. On the third day King Dolan got up before dawn, and as soon as he had eaten breakfast he prepared to go out, when his wife stopped him."

"I would rather that you did not play with the goblin, for even though you have won twice, one day he will win, and then he will put some kind of curse upon you." he warns as Queen Anya.

He intones "King Dolan requested one last game, and departed for the goblin's cave. But whether it was nerves or overconfidence, I'm not sure, but the goblin won the third game."

"I'll be willing to spare your life if you do not get for me the Sword of Light that hangs in the house of the king of the giants." he instructs as the goblen.

As himself, Brock continues "King Dolan agreed, but as he trudged home, he wondered how in the world he would accomplish such a task. Queen Anya seemed to know what had happened long before her beloved arrived, and when she had heard the whole story, she said..."

"That is nothing to grieve about. You have the best wife anyone could ask for, and the best Ponyta in the world. Only do as I tell you, and all will be well." he assures the antsy crowd as Queen Anya.

He continues as himself "King Dolan was still sleeping when Queen Anya got up to get everything ready for her husband’s journey. The first place she went to was the stable, where she fed and watered the shining Ponyta--who was none other than the Legendary shining Ponyta Epona--and put the saddle on it. Most people thought this saddle was of wood, and did not see the little sparkles of gold and silver hidden in it. She then led Epona down before the castle gate, where King Dolan waited."

"Good luck to you, and may you be victorious in all your battles. Take Epona's advice, and heed it well." he instructs as Queen Anya.

As himself, Brock goes on "And so, King Dolan set out on his journey, and the wind went on before Epona. But Epona never stopped nor looked behind, until in the dark of the night she reached the castle of the king of the giants."

"Here we are. You will find the Sword of Light in the king’s chamber. If it comes to you without scrape or sound, it accepts you as its master. At this hour the king is eating dinner, and the room is empty, so no one will see you. The sword has a knob at the pommel--when you grasp it, draw it softly out of its sheath. I will be under the window." he instructs in a mimic of Misty for Epona.

The lights dim as Brock continues as himself "King Dolan crept along the passage, pausing every now and then to make sure that no one was following him, and entered the king’s chamber. A strange line of light told him where the sword was, and tiptoeing across the room, he grabbed the knob, and drew it slowly out of the sheath. King Dolan's heart was pounding all the while--what if the sword made some noise, and brought all the people in the castle running to see what was the matter. But the sword slid swiftly and silently along the scabbard until only the tip was left touching it. Then a low sound was heard, that sounded like the edge of a knife touching a silver plate, and King Dolan was so startled that he very nearly dropped the knob. He scrambled through the small window, and leaped into the saddle."

"He has heard and he will follow, but we have a good start." he assures the crowd as Epona.

The lights brighten as Brock continues as himself "On they sped, on and on, leaving the wind behind them. But Epona recognized the shining Ponyta, this one male, that the king of the giants rode."

"That shining Ponyta is my brother Loscad, and swifter still than I. He will fly past me with a rush. Then you must have your sword ready, and cut off the head of the one who sits on him, as he turns and looks at you. There is no sword in the world that will cut off his head, save for that one." he explains as Epona.

After Brock pauses to pick up his harp from the wings, he continues as himself "All happened as Epona had said, and before the sky was streaked with red he was home again, and Queen Anya was waiting until he arrived. She was happy to see him home, but she only took her harp and sang softly the songs he loved, until he was asleep, soothed and happy."

With that, Brock plays "The Fairy's Waltz" on his own harp for effect. He then intones "But King Dolan's adventures were just beginning...I will tell you what they entailed next week!"

"Aw"s and applause go up as Brock sets the harp aside and takes a bow...

Week 308b: The King of the Waterfall, part 2

(real tale: The King of Waterfalls)

"King Dolan woke up the next day in high spirits, and wanted to travel to the goblin's cave to find out if the spells he had casted on him were broken." Brock begins as he arrives onstage.

"Be careful, for it is not with a smile as on the other days that he will greet you." he warns as Queen Anya. "He will meet you with fury, and ask you if you have the sword, and you will reply that you have it. Next he will want to know how you got it, and you must tell him that if it weren't for the knob you wouldn't have gotten it at all. Then he will raise his head to look at the knob, and you must stab him in the chest; but take heed, for if you miss his heart by even a little, then we are both doomed."

As himself, he continues "With that, Queen Anya kissed him, and bade him Arceus-speed. All happened as Queen Anya had said, and King Dolan killed the goblin in the way his beloved had instructed. But his troubles were not over, for when he reached home, he found his servants bound and gagged, as if captive. He hurried to set them free, and asked who had done the vile deed. The servants replied that while he was away, a great giant had come, bound and gagged them, and captured Queen Anya, Epona, and Loscad."

"Then my eyes will not close nor will my head lay itself down until I bring my wife and Ponytas home."he vows as King Dolan, to some light applause.

The lights dim a little as Brock continues "He made a note of the Ponyta tracks on the grass, and followed them until night fell, when he arrived in the forest. He gathered together some twigs that were lying around, built a fire, and made a temporary camp there. As King Dolan sat there eating his dinner, an Arcanine leaped through the bushes and laid his head on King Dolan's knee, and King Dolan stroked his head."

"Wan, wan! Sore was the plight of your wife and Ponytas when the giant drove them last night through the forest." he notes in a gentle deep voice for the Arcanine, so some giggles when he realistically mimics the bark.

"That is why I have come, but I fear I cannot fight that giant." he sighs as King Dolan.

"You've come this far, so it would not make sense to turn back. Get some rest, and I, Hunter of the Hills, will watch over you." he offers as the Arcanine.

He narratees as himself "So King Dolan had dinner and rested until the sun woke him. He was woken up by Hunter nudging a ruby by his hand.

"If ever you are in danger, invoke this ruby, and I will come." he instructs as Hunter, showing a prop ruby to the crowd.

Excited whispers fill the air as Brock sets the prop jewel aside. "King Dolan thanked Hunter, and went on his way. He traveled all day, until he reached a tall cliff with many sticks lying around. No sooner had he made camp, Aurelia, the gold Pidgeot that watched over the mountain, landed on a tree branch above him."

"Sore was the plight of your wife and Ponytas when they passed here with the giant." he notes in a mimic of Misty for Aurelia.

"I fear I will never find them, and I've come this far for nothing." he sighs as King Dolan.

"Take heart--things are never so bad as they seem to be. Get some rest, and I will watch over you." he offers as Aurelia.

He interjects as himself "King Dolan did as he was told, and in the morning, he saw an emerald drop by his head."

"Fare thee well, milord. If ever you are danger, invoke this emerald, and I will come to help you." he instructs as Aurelia.

After setting aside his prop emerald, Brock continues as himself "After thanking Aurelia, King Dolan walked on and on, until he came to a great river, and made camp there for the night. No sooner had he started a fire, did the pointed orange head of a Floatzel peer at him from the water, and his long orange body followed it."

"Sore was the plight of your wife and Ponytas when they passed the river last night." he notes in an older version of Forest for the Floatzel.

"I have sought them and not found them, and I fear my journey is for nothing." he sighs as King Dolan.

"Cheer up-- before noon tomorrow you will see your beloved again. But for now, get some rest and I, Twintail of the River, will watch over you." he offers as the Floatzel.

He interjects as himself "So King Dolan did as Twintail had told him. When the sun rose, he saw Twintail nudging a sapphire on the bank."

"Fare thee well, milord. If ever you are in danger, invoke the sapphire and I will help you." he instructs as Twintail.

After seeing the prop jewels are where he can get to them, Brock continues as himself "King Dolan bid Twintail farewell, and walked until he reached a high rock torn asunder by a great earthquake. Throwing himself on the ground he looked over the side, and at the very bottom he saw his beloved Anya, Epona, and Loscad. His heart leaped for joy, and all his fears left him, but he was forced to be patient, for the sides of the rock were smooth, and not even a Gogoat could find a foothold. So he got up again, and made his way through the forest, pushing by trees, scrambling over rocks, wading through streams, until he was on solid ground again, close to the mouth of the cavern. Queen Anya gave a joyful cry when he came in, and then burst into tears, for she was tired and frightened. But her husband did not understand why she cried, as he was tired and bruised from his climb."

"Aw"s go up as Brock goes on "After a long and tearful embrace, King Dolan ate and rested. Just then, a long shadow fell over them, and their hearts raced, for they knew that the giant was coming. It was dark inside the chasm, and the giant did not see King Dolan, who was crouching down between Epona's and Loscad's feet."

"Who is here? I was not informed we'd be having guests today..." he asks in a deeper version of himself for the giant

"But no stranger ever comes here, not even Ho'oh!"he protests as Queen Anya, to some laughter.

He grins. "Thankfully, the giant bought that answer, and he lifted down an armful of hay from a shelf of rock and held out a handful to each Ponyta, who moved forward to meet him. As soon as the giant’s hands were near their mouths they each made a snap, and began to bite them, so that his groans and shrieks were heard at least a thousand miles away. Then they wheeled round and kicked him until they could kick no more. Finally, the giant crawled away, and lay quivering in a corner."

"I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over them both!" he apologizes as Queen Anya, complete with a little bow.

"If I had had my soul in my body they would certainly have killed me," he sighs as the giant.

"Where is your soul, so I may take care of it?"

"Up there, in that rock near the ceiling."

The lights dim some more to mimic night. "Soon snores were heard from the corner where the giant lay, but he had no idea King Dolan was there." Brock assures the crowd as himself.

The lights brighten to mimic daytime. "Before dawn the giant rose and went out, and as soon as he was gone, Queen Anya ran up to the rock in question, and pushed it until it was steady on its ledge, and could not fall."

He then roleplays the next scene with the giant and Queen Anya. "What have you done to the rock?"

"I feared it would fall over and be broken, with your soul in it, so I put it further back on the ledge."

"My soul is not there--it is on the threshold."

He interjects as himself "The next morning, Queen Anya ran to the threshold of the cave, and washed the stones, pulled up moss and little flowers that were hidden in the crannies, and by the time the giant returned, it was sparkling clean."

He then roleplays the giant's reaction. "You have been cleaning the threshold, I see..." .

"Was I not right to do it, seeing that your soul is in it?"

"My soul is not there. Under the threshold is a stone, and under the stone is a Mareep, and in the Mareep’s body is a Ducklett, and in the Ducklett is an egg, and in the egg is my soul."

As himself, Brock continues "It was still dark when the giant got up and went on his way, and King Dolan and Queen Anya ran to tear out the threshold while the Ponytas looked on. Sure enough, just as the giant had said, underneath the threshold was the flagstone, and they pulled until the stone gave way. Then something jumped out so suddenly, that it nearly knocked them down, and as it fled past, they saw it was a Mareep. King Dolan's first thought was to panic, but he remembered his three magical stones, and invoked the ruby...

He pauses to sing as King Dolan Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul..., making the prop ruby glow in response to his voice. "The ruby glowed, and Hunter appeared from the forest, with the Mareep in his mouth. With a blow from the king, the Maeep was slain and they cut open its body, only to be blinded by a rush of wings as a Ducklett flew past."

Brock next sings to the emerald as King Dolan Karuto, iichiida shou..., making the prop emerald glow. "As it glowed, Aurelia was seen hovering above them, with the Ducklett in her talons. King Dolan killed the Ducklett, and took the egg out of its body, but in his excitement it slipped from his hand, and rolled swiftly down the hill right into the river." he explains as himself as he tosses the glowing prop emerald from hand to hand.

Laughter goes up, but is quieted by Brock singing as King Dolan to the prop sapphire Rou iitsa ron selga vichii..., making it glow. "It wasn't long before Twintail arrived, holding the egg in his mouth." Brock explains as himself as he sets the glowing sapphire with the other two glowing jewels. "But Twintail also noticed a huge shadow approaching–the shadow of the giant."

Gasps go up, but Brock assures the worried crowd "As her beloved stood frozen in fright, Queen Anya took matters into her own hands, and smashed the egg on the ground, killing the giant."

Cheers go up as Brock concludes "King Dolan and Queen Anya returned home to a hero's welcome the next day, but they kept the magic jewels with them, in case they ever needed their friends' aid again."

The cheers intensify as Brock takes a bow...

Week 309: Lady Ursaring-skin

(real tale: The Bear

What Ash, Misty, Brock, and Serena play: Set 1, Set 2, Set 3)

Surprised murmurs fill the air as Ash, Misty, and Serena arrive with Brock on the stage. "Once upon a time there was a king who had an only daughter--we'll call her Oriana." Brock begins. "He was so proud and so fond of her, that he was in constant dread that something terrible would happen to her if she went outside the palace, So he forced her to lead the life of a prisoner, locked away within her own rooms. To say Princess Oriana did not like this is an understatement, and one day, she complained about it to her nurse."

Giggles go up at this "Now, the nurse was a mage, although the king did not know it, as he believed any magic user, even if they used their power for good things, was evil." Ash explains. "For some time she listened and tried to soothe Princess Oriana, but when she saw that she could not be comforted, she said to her..."

"Your father loves you very dearly, you know." Misty fills in the nurse's dialogue. "Whatever you were to ask from him he would give you. The one thing he will not grant you is permission to leave the palace. Now, listen closely. Go to your father and ask him to give you a wooden wheelbarrow, and an Ursaring skin. When you have them, bring them here, and I will bless them with my holy power. The wheelbarrow will move on its own, and take you anywhere you wish to go, and the Ursaring skin will make a cloak for you, so no one will recognize you."

"So Princess Oriana did as she was told. The king, when he heard her strange request, was puzzled, and asked her what she wanted to do with a wheelbarrow and an Ursaring's skin.

"You never let me leave the house--at least you could grant me this request." Serena protests as Princess Oriana

"So the king said okay, and Princess Oriana went back to her nurse, taking the wheelbarrow and the Ursaring's skin with her." Brock picks up the story again. "As soon as the mage saw them, she cast a holy spell...

Seios, higarima laisido... Misty fills in the spellsong.

"...and in a moment the wheelbarrow began to move in all directions. Brock continues. "Princess Oriana next put on the Ursaring's skin, which covered her so well, no one could have known that she was a princess and not a poor traveler. In a matter of minutes she found herself far away from the palace, and moving through a great forest. Here she told the wheelbarrow to stop, and hid herself and it in a thick grove of flowering bushes.

The lights go down, hiding Misty hurrying backstage to check that the group's instruments are ready. "Now it happened that the prince of that land--we'll call him Evan--was hunting in the forest." Brock continues from his spotlight. "Suddenly, he spotted what he believed to be an Ursaring hiding among the shrubs, and calling his Growlithes, told them to attack it."

"Please, don't kill me! I am only a poor traveler--what harm have I ever done to you?" Serena pleads as Princess Oriana.

"At these words, Prince Evan was so startled that for a moment he stood still, then he said..." Brock narrates.

"Will you come with me? I will take you to my house." Ash offers as Prince Evan.

"I will come gladly." Serena replies as Princess Oriana.

Ash and Serena hurry off to retrieve their instruments as Brock continues alone "After signalling the wheelbarrow, it began to move in the direction of Prince Evan's palace."

He grins. "Imagine the surprise of Prince Evan's mother the queen when she saw her son return with what she believed was a wild woman, who immediately went to work doing the housework better than any servant that the queen had ever seen."

Giggles go up as the crowd pictures the queen's reaction. "Now it happened that there was a grand ball going on in the palace of a neighboring prince, who was a friend of Prince Evan." Brock explains. "One night at dinner, Prince Evan said to his mother..."

"This evening there is to be a great ball in honor of my friend's birthday, and I wish to go and wish him well." Ash requests as Prince Evan as he arrives with his Pokeflute tucked in one arm.

"You are more than welcome to go--just be home at a decent hour." Misty replies as the queen as she arrives with her fiddle and bow cradled in her arms.

"Suddenly a voice came from the banquet hall doorway..." Brock narrates as he takes his waiting guitar by a chair at his usual place.

"Let me come too--I, too, would like to dance." Serena requests as she arrives holding a small accordion in her hands.

"If you have a way to follow me, you can come." Ash replies as Prince Evan, aware of the crowd's excitement over seeing their instruments.

"That evening, Prince Evan and his retinue set off for the ball. As soon as he had left, Ursaring-skin--for that was what the servants had affectionately nicknamed Princess Oriana--came to the queen and asked to be allowed to go to the ball." Brock continues over a quiet melody. "The kind-hearted queen could not refuse her. Ursaring-skin ran to her wheelbarrow, threw off her Ursaring skin cloak, and watched as it transformed in mid air into an exquisite golden gown with an elegant sun print design." He plays a harmonic D chord for effect. "The wheelbarrow, meanwhile, transformed into a carriage drawn by two fine steeds. Stepping into the carriage Princess Oriana drove to the grand entrance of the palace. When she entered the ballroom, in her wondrous dress of golden sunbeams, she looked so different from all the other guests, that everyone wondered who she was, and where she had come from. From the moment he saw her, Prince Evan fell madly in love with her, and all evening he would dance with no one else but the beautiful stranger."

With that, he snaps to count off his friends, and the four of them kick off a spirited set, which the crowd eagerly claps along with.

"Before the festivities had ended, Princess Oriana drove away in her carriage at full speed, for she wished to get home before the holy magic wore off." Misty explains when the last note fades.

"Thankfully, Prince Evan had no clue the golden lady and the Ursaring-skin girl were one and the same." Serena assures the crowd. "When he reached home he the beautiful stranger was all he could talk about."

"Some time passed, and another friend of Prince Evan's held a second ball in honor of a great victory, and Prince Evan was determined not to miss it, for he thought he would see the lovely lady again." Ash picks up the story. Sure enough, as the band struck up the first dance, the beautiful stranger entered the room, looking even more radiant than the night before, for this time her dress sparkled like the silver moon. All evening Prince Evan danced with her, but she never said a word."

With that, he leads the way into an elegant waltz, as if the ballroom is right there in the auditorium. But Misty picks up the pace into a more upbeat tune, which the crowd claps along to.

"When Prince Evan got home, he told his mother that he had again seen the lovely girl, and that this time she had been even more beautiful than the night before." Brock continues when the song ends. "Some time passed, and a third friend of Prince Evan's held a ball in honor of their kingdom's founding. Princess Oriana went to this ball too, this time in a dress made of crystal, and glittering stars studded with gems. She looked so dazzling and so beautiful, that everyone marveled at her, and said that no one so beautiful had ever been seen before. Prince Evan danced with her, and, though he could not get her to speak, he succeeded in slipping a sapphire ring on her finger, at least."

With that, Misty counts Ash off into "The Trip to Kalos Set", which the audience eagerly claps along with.

"When Prince Evan got home, he was beginning to suspect that his partner at the balls were one and the same." Serena picks up the story when the song ends. "He ordered some soup prepared as a midnight snack, and Ursaring-skin brought it to him."

"Imagine Prince Evan's surprise when he saw the ring on Ursaring-skin's finger!" Brock grins, over a triumphant fanfare from Ash and the girls. "Princess Oriana revealed herself to him in the crystal star dress, and he realized his suspicions were right--his three partners were one and the same."

"The next morning, Princess Oriana told Prince Evan and his family her story from start to finish." Misty continues.

"Prince Evan's parents loved her, and rejoiced that their son would have so good and beautiful a bride." Serena smiles as she tells her part of the ending.

"And they were married, lived happily for many years, and reigned wisely over their kingdom for a long time." Brock concludes.

One by one, the four friends take a bow as the crowd roars with applause...

Week 310: The Shining Sawsbuck

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 214, story 2)

"In a certain village nestled in a green valley, there lived a man named Roku." Brock begins. "One day, as he was working in the fields, Roku accidentally lost has footing, and tumbled into the nearby river--which was higher than normal thanks to a storm the previous night."

Gasps go up at this, but Brock quickly assures the crowd "After drifting along the current for a while, he found himself beside a shining Sawsbuck. The Sawsbuck told him she had found him wet and cold by the river bank, and brought him to her cave, where she had cared for him for two days. Roku was understandably surprised to hear a Pokemon speak the words of humans, and thanked the Sawsbuck for her kindness, saying he would do anything she wished in return. The Sawsbuck told Roku not to tell anyone about their meeting."

He grins. "Back in the village, everyone was overjoyed to see Roku safe, but no matter how much they bagged, pleaded, and cried, he didn't tell anyone about the Sawsbuck. Before long, people started to notice that Roku's fields produced more than the other villagers, and fortune smiled upon him in all he did. As the years passed, Roku forgot all about the Sawsbuck."

Intriguws murmurs fill the air as Brock continues "Three years passed, and one stormy night, the elder's daughter Hikari caught a horrible disease. A miko happened to be passing that way, and spent many a day in a deep prayer over Hikari, asking Arceus to heal her..."

With that, he sings in character as a young lady Te lei ze cra riou te ze...
Cra riou ze te riou rei neu, riou ze...
Va rei ze te, neu te riou te cra
Riou rei cra riou ze rei va ze rei...
Va neu va rei, va neu va ze rei!
Cra riou cra neu te rei cra riou ze lei va
Lei va neu cra te lei lei!

Applause goes up at the song's end. "One day, the miko told the elder that the only way Hikari could be healed was to grind a tuft of fur from a shining Sawsbuck into water, and then have Hikari drink it. The elder vowed to look right away. But no hunter within miles had a clue, and before long, the search for a shining Sawsbuck was all anyone in the village could talk about."

He intones "Eventually Roku heard the rumors, and forgetting his promise to the Sawsbuck, told the elder about his encounter years before, and led the elder and his men to the meadow. But before a single arrow could fly, the Sawsbuck sang...

After singing in a mimic of May for the Sawsbuck Karuto, iichiida shou...he continues as himself "...conjuring a huge tornado that sent trees and bows flying. At this point, Roku realized what he had done, and tearfully called an apology into the storm. He did not know the elder had an arrow trained right at the Sawsbuck, but he could not bring himself to fire the arrow."

He then adds a twist to the tale "Imagine the elder's surprise when he returned home to find Hikari alive and well!"

Cheers fill the air as Brock explains "Hikari told her father that as she slept, a shining Sawsbuck came to her in her dreams and blessed her, curing her sickness. The elder was overjoyed, and concluded the Sawsbuck was Arceus in disguise."

He concludes "As for Roku, he left the village in search of better fortune, but what became of the Sawsbuck, no one knows for sure."

The crowd cheers as Brock takes a bow...

Week 311a: Gerald the Coward, part 1

(real tale: How Geirald the Coward Was Punished)

"Once upon a time there lived a poor knight who had many children, and found it hard to get enough for them to eat." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "One day, he sent his eldest son, whose name was Rowan, to run an errand in town. While he was there Rowan met a young man named Gerald, the two became fast friends."

"Aw"s go up at this. "Now, Gerald was the son of a rich man, who was proud of the boy, and had all his life allowed him to do whatever he wanted, and, luckily for the father, he was prudent and sensible, and did not waste his money, as many other rich young men his age were prone to do." Brock explains. "For some time he had set his heart on seeing the world, and after talking to Rowan for a while, asked if his new friend would be his companion on his journey."

"There is nothing I would like better, but my father is very poor, and he would never give me the money for such a trip." he explains in a mimic of Ash for Rowan.

"Oh, if that is your only difficulty, it's all right. My father has more money than he knows what to do with, and he will give me as much as I want for both of us; only, there is one thing you must promise me, Rowan, that, if we have any adventures, you will let the honor and glory fall to me." he offers in a mimic of Gary for Gerald.

"Yes, of course, that is only fair. But I cannot go without telling my parents. I am sure they will think me lucky to get such a chance." he smiles as Rowan.

As himself, Brock continues "As soon as the deal was agreed upon, Rowan hurried home. His parents were delighted to hear of his good fortune, and his father gave him his own sword, which was growing rusty for want of use, while his mother saw that his best clothes were in order."

"Be sure you keep the promise you made to Gerald, and, come what may, see that you never betray him." he instructs an imagined person in a mimic of Lola for the mother.

As himself, Brock continues "Full of joy Rowan rode off, and the next day he and Gerald started off on their journey. To their disappointment their own land was so well governed that nothing out of the ordinary was very likely to happen, but no sooner had they crossed the border into another kingdom did they find lawlessness and confusion everywhere."

"Oh no"s waft through the auditorium, but Brock isn't done setting the terrifying scene. "They had not gone very far when, as they rode across a mountain, they caught a glimpse of several armed men hiding among some trees in their path, and remembered rumors they had heard of a band of twelve bandits who lay in wait for rich travelers. The bandits were more like beasts than people, and lived somewhere at the top of the mountain in caves and holes in the ground. They were all called ‘Hankur,’ and were distinguished from each other by the name of a color–blue, grey, red, and so on, except for their king, who was known as Hankur the Tall. All this and more rushed into the minds of the two young men as they saw the flash of their swords in the moonlight."

"It is impossible to fight them–they outnumber us twelve to two. We should turn back and take the low road." he stammers as Gerald.

"We can’t turn back--we should be ashamed to look anyone in the face again! Besides, it is a grand opportunity to show the world what we are made of. Let's tie up our Ponytas here, and climb up the rocks so that we can roll stones down on them." he suggests as Rowan.

He continues as himself "So they went up the rocks silently and carefully. The bandits were lying in wait, expecting to see their unsuspecting victims coming around the corner, when a shower of huge stones fell on their heads, killing half of them. The others hurried up the rock, but as they reached the top the sword of Rowan met them, and one man after another rolled down into the valley."

Cheers start to fill the room, and intensify as Brock continues narrating the thrilling battle. "Finally, the chief managed to climb up, and, grabbing Rowan by the waist, flung away his sword, and the two fought mano a mano, their bodies inching ever closer to the edge. It seemed as if Rowan, being the smaller of the two, was about to fall when he drew the bandit’s sword out of its sheath and plunged it into his heart. Then he took from the dead man a beautiful ring set with a large sapphire, and put it on his own finger."

More cheers fill the air as Brock continues "The fame of this wonderful deed soon spread across the land, and people would often stop our heroes in the street, and ask to see the bandit’s ring, which was said to have been stolen from the father of the reigning king. Gerald showed them the ring with pride, and listened to their words of praise, and no one would ever have guessed that Rowan had really destroyed the bandits."

He concludes "But our heroes' adventures were just beginning--I will tell you what they entailed next week!"

Week 311b: Gerald the Coward, part 2

"In a few days, they left that kingdom and rode on to another, where they thought they would stop and stay through the remainder of the winter." Brock begins as the last G chord of his and the Firelights' cover of "Try Everything" fades away. "Gerald liked to be comfortable, and did not care for traveling through ice and snow. But the king would only grant them permission to stop on the condition that before the winter was over, they would give him some proof of the courage he had heard so much about. Rowan’s heart was glad at the king’s message, and as for Gerald, he felt that as long as Rowan was there, all would go well. So they both bowed low and replied that it was the king’s place to command and theirs to obey."

As the king, he instructs an imagined person "Well, then, here is what I want you to do--In the northeastern part of my kingdom there lives a giant, who has an iron staff twenty yards long, and he is so quick in using it, even fifty knights have no chance against him. The bravest and strongest young men and women of my court have fallen under the blows of that staff; but, as you overcame the twelve bandits so easily, I feel that I have reason to hope that you may be able to conquer the giant. Three days from now, you will set out."

"We will be ready, Your Majesty,"he replies as Rowan.

"How can we possibly fight against a giant that has killed fifty knights?" he gasps as Gerald. "The king only wants to get rid of us! He won’t think about us for the next three days–that is one comfort–so we will have plenty of time to cross the borders of the kingdom and be out of reach."

‘We may not be able to kill the giant, but we can’t run away until we have at least tried." he assures the crowd as Rowan. "Besides, think how glorious it will be if we DO manage to kill him! I know what sort of weapon I want to use. Come with me."

As himself, Brock continues "Taking his friend by the arm, he led him into a shop where he bought a huge lump of solid iron, so big that they could hardly lift it between them. However, they managed to carry it to a smithy’s, where Rowan asked for it to be made into a thick club, with a sharp spike at one end. When this was done, he took it home under his arm."

He starts a "sneaking" melody on his guitar as he continues "Very early on the third morning the two young men started on their journey, and on the fourth day they reached the giant’s cave before he was out of bed. Hearing the sound of footsteps, the giant got up and went to see who was coming, and Rowan, expecting something like this, struck him so hard that he fell to the ground."

Laughter fills the air at the chord representing the impact. Then, before he could get up again, Rowan drew his sword and cut off his head. Brock continues, playing a soft victorious flourish to prove his point.

"Now, see? That wasn't so hard, was it?" he grins as Rowan, to more laughter.

He continues as himself "After placing the giant’s head in a leather bag, they began their journey to the castle. As they approached the gates, Rowan took the head from the wallet and handed it to Gerald, whom he followed into the king’s presence. The king was overjoyed that giant was defeated, and cried that Gerald was the ‘bravest knight in the world'. He ordered a feast prepared for the two friends, and that the great deed be proclaimed throughout the kingdom. Gerald’s heart swelled with pride, and he almost forgot that it was Rowan and not he, who had slain the giant."

"Ooh"s fill the air as Brock concludes. "But all of these was setup for our heroes' biggest adventure yet--I will tell you what that entailed next week!"

Week 311c: Gerald the Coward, part 3

"Some time later, a rumor went around that a beautiful lady who lived in the castle would be present at the feast, with twenty-four lovely maidens, her attendants." Brock begins as he arrives onstage, picking up from where he left off the previous week. "The lady--we'll call her Miranda--was the queen of her own country, but as her father and mother had died when she was little, she had been left in the care of this king, who was her uncle."

"Aw"s fill the air as Brock continues "She was now old enough to govern her own land, but unfortunately her subjects did not like being ruled by a lady, and always said that she had to find a husband to "help"--and by "help" I mean effectively ruling her rightful kingdom in her place--her in managing her affairs, when she was perfectly capable of managing them herself, thank you very much."

Giggles go up at this as the audience anticipates hearing about the tomboyish queen. "Prince, king, and emperor alike had offered himself, but Queen Miranda would have nothing to say to any of them, and eventually told her ministers that if she was to have a husband at all, she would choose him herself, as she wanted nothing to do with the ones they had picked for her." Brock explains. "An argument of epic proportions followed, words not fit to repeat in public were said, and Queen Miranda went off to her uncle."

More giggles waft through the room. When she heard about the two young men that had slain the giant, her heart was filled with admiration of their courage, and she declared that if a feast was held, she would do everything in her power to be there." Brock grins. "When the feast was over she asked the king, her guardian, if he would allow the two heroes who had killed the bandits and slain the giant to battle one of her pages the next day. The king gladly gave his consent for a whole week's worth of competition, and ordered the sign up lists to be posted, never doubting for a moment that two great champions would be eager for such a chance of adding to their fame."

He intones "Little did he know, Gerald had done all he could to persuade Rowan to sneak out of the castle during the night, for he didn't believe they were pages at all, but well-proven knights, and how could they, so young and untried, stand against them? ‘The honor will be all the higher if we win the day,’ Rowan had said; but Gerald would have none of it, and only said that he did not care about honor, and would rather be alive than have every honor in the world heaped upon him. Go he would, and as Rowan had sworn to give him his company, he had to come with him."

He sighs. "Rowan was saddened when he heard these words, but he knew that it was useless attempting to persuade Gerald, and turned his thoughts to forming some kind of plan to prevent this disgraceful flight."

A Firelight hits a triangle from offstage to represent an idea lightbulb. "Suddenly, he got an idea." Brock grins.

"Let us change clothes, and I will do the fighting, while you get the glory. Nobody will ever know the difference." he offers as Rowan.

As himself, he describes the epic battle. "Whether Gerald was right or not in thinking that the so-called page was really a knight, I don't know. I can tell you that Rowan’s task was difficult. Three times they clashed with a blow which made their Ponytas reel; once Rowan knocked the helmet off his foe, and received a blow so hard he staggered in his saddle. Cheers of encouragement went up from the onlookers, as first one and then the other seemed to be winning; but eventually Rowan planted his spear in his adversary's chest, which made him slide steadily backward. The crowd held their breaths to see if Rowan's opponent would fall, but he did not. Rowan then himself dismounted and helped his adversary up, out of common courtesy."

Light applause goes up as Brock continues "In the confusion that followed it was easy for Rowan to slip away and return Gerald his proper clothes. And in these, torn and dusty with the fight, Gerald answered the king’s summons to come before him."

"You have done what I expected you to do. Now, choose your reward." he commands as the king.

"Grant me, sire, the hand of the queen, your niece, and I will defend her kingdom against all her enemies." he replies as Gerald, complete with a bow.

"She could choose no better husband, and if she consents, so do I." he replies as the king.

He grins at the enthralled audience. "But Queen Miranda did in fact know the difference--I'll tell you how she knew next week!"

Week 311d: Gerald the Coward, part 4

Some light applause fills the air as Brock onstage, eager to hear how his long story will end. "Now, Queen Miranda's eyes were very sharp, and she knew that the one who stood before her, tall and handsome as he was, was different in many ways unseen to the naked eye, from the man who had fought the battle." he explains, picking up from where he left off the previous week. "How there could be any trickery she could not understand, and why the real victor was willing to give up his prize to another was stranger still; but something in her heart told her to be careful."

"You may be satisfied, uncle, but I am not. I must have one more challenge--let the two young men fight against each other. The one I marry must be the one who killed the bandits and the giant, and overcame my page."he instructs an imagined person in a mimic of Misty for Queen Miranda.

As himself, he intones "Gerald looked like he had seen a Gastly at these words. He knew there was no escape now, though he did not doubt for a moment that Rowan would keep his word to the end. But how would it be possible that even Rowan deceive the watchful eyes of the king and his court, and still more those of the young queen who he feared had suspected him from the very beginning?"

He continues "The battle was fought, and in spite of Gerald’s fears, Rowan managed to hold back to allow him a chance to win. Finally, after a great show of resistance, he fell to the ground. As he fell, he knew that he was not just giving up his rightful glory, but the hand of the queen, as well. But Gerald did not even wait to see if he was wounded--he went straight to the wall where the royal banner waved and claimed the reward he believed to be his."

Angry murmurs fill the air as Brock continues "The crowd of spectators turned towards Queen Miranda, expecting to see her give some token to the victor. Instead, to the surprise of everyone, she merely smiled gracefully, and said that before she bestowed her hand one more test must be imposed, but this would be the last challenge. For this battle; Gerald and Rowan would each face two knights of the king’s court, and the one that defeated his opponent would be master of herself and of her kingdom. The battle was scheduled to take place at ten o’clock the next morning."

He then revealed what Gerald did. "All night long Gerald paced his room, not daring to face the fight that lay in front of him, and trying with all his might to discover some means of escaping it. All night long he moved from door to window; and when the trumpets sounded, and the combatants rode into the field, he alone was missing. The king sent messengers to see what had become of him, and he was found, trembling with fear, hiding under his bed. After that there was no need of any further proof. The battle was declared unnecessary, and Queen Miranda said she was ready to accept Rowan as her husband."

"You forgot one thing." he notes as Queen Miranda. "I recognized my father’s ring which Hankur the Tall had stolen, on the finger of your right hand, and I knew that it was you and not Gerald who had slain the bandits. I was the page who fought you, and again I saw the ring on your finger, though it was absent from his when he stood before me to claim the prize. That was why I ordered the battle between you, though your faith to your word prevented my plan being successful, and I had to try another. The one who keeps their promise, no matter what, is one I can trust, both for myself and for my people."

He concludes as himself "And so they were married, and returned to their own kingdom, which they ruled well and happily."

Then he remembers something "As for Gerald, he wandered the world begging his bread, and hasn't been seen since!"

Laughter and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow....

@Chimchar98; @The Jingster; @Tophat Dragoneye; @Soulmaster;

Week 312: The Flute in the Night

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 218, story 2)

"Long ago, in what is today Vaniville Town, there lived a rich man named Tayu." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "He had a beautiful daughter named Minako, and suitors came from far and wide to ask for her hand in marriage. But Tayu refused any profession of love, and had Minako locked away in a smaller house near the main house."

Angry murmurs start to waft through the room, but are quieted by a familiar whistle playing a ethereal melody. "One night, Minako was startled awake by a flute playing a mysterious melody off in the distance. " Brock narrates over the song. "When she looked to see where the song was coming from, she noticed a young man under a tree, playing the song. She tried to get his attention, but he did not respond." About then, the whistle finishes its song. "The next night, she found the young man just as he was about to leave, and begged him to keep playing. But he seemed to vanish in the night air."

Next, the whistle begins the familiar melody of "Ah, Roshin" as Brock continues "Every night when the moon was visible in the sky, the young man would appear and play for Minako. Sometimes the songs were happy, sometimes they were sad, but they were all beautiful to hear. Before long, they were falling in love."

"Aw"s fill the air as the song ends. "Her father Tayu, meanwhile, grew suspicious of the young man, and asked two of his friends to watch over the house. He then grilled Minako about the young man, but Minako could not answer any of her father's questions." Brock continues. That night, she secretly hid a ball of yarn in the young man's cloak, in hopes the thread would help her find out where he came from. The next morning, Tayu followed the thread, with Minako not far behind."

He intones "The thread wound out of town, across the plains, over rivers, through deep forests, and eventually to a high mountain, where it came to a stop by a cave. Suddenly, they heard a low deep voice ask...

"Who are you, and why do you come here?" he asks in a low deep voice

"My name is Minako of Asame...please, tell me who you are." he replies in a mimic of Serena for Minako

As himself, Brock reveals who the being is. "The being, if you could call it that, told Minako that it had been wounded by a needle, and would soon die, but it feared how Minako would react if she saw it in its true form. Minako replied she was not afraid, and after a few tense moments, an Arbok emerged from the cave. Minako quickly found the needle, carefully pulled it out, then cleaned and dressed the wound. The Arbok introduced himself as Yamato, the guardian of the mountain. Yamato told Minako that if she ever had any children, the first born would grow up to be a great hero, in remembrance of her kindness and bravery. He promised Minako he would not forget her, and would watch over her and her descendants from heaven."

Some sniffles fill the room as the children mourn the Arbok, but Brock assures them "A few years later, Minako welcomed her first child, a son. He was named Yamoto after the guardian Arbok, and grew up to be one of Kalos' greatest heroes...but that is another story for another day!"

He acknowledges his applause, which intensifies as Ash joins Brock onstage, whistle in hand, where they bow together...

Week 313: The Gift of the Spinarak

(real tale: The Spider's Gift)

"Long ago in Alola, a boy--we'll call him Kekoa-- stood at the river outside his village collecting buckets of water in earthen jars." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "Suddenly he saw a Spinarak flailing in the flowing stream, caught in the current. He quickly guided the Spinarak into his hands, and carried it to safety. He held it gently, and before long the warmth of his hand brought life to the Spinarak. As if to say thank you, the Spinarak began to dance about on all eight legs. Moments later she was strong enough to spin six strands of silk. As Kekoa watched in awe, the strands grew long and glistened in the morning light. After a while, Kekoa gently placed the Spinarak beneath a bush for safety and waved goodbye to her."

"Aws" fill the air at the heartwarming scene. "That night, Kekoa dreamed of the Spinarak, and the next day he visited her." Brock continues. "By the day's end they were the best of friends. Through the years their friendship flourished, and even though they could not speak to each other, they spent hours together, enjoying the beauty of the sunlight streaming through the trees."

The children in the audience whisper excitedly as they imagine the beautiful tropical scenery. "One day, not long after Kekoa had come of age, he stood with his mother watching the Spinarak dance." Brock goes on. "Suddenly the young man heard splashing downstream. When he looked up, he saw the loveliest young woman he had ever seen. As she paddled closer, he stared admiringly at her shining black braids and her strong arms that rippled with strength and power in the daylight. As the maiden paddled past them, Kekoa asked his mother who she was. His mother knew when she looked into his eyes that he had fallen in love."

Giggles fill the room as the audience pictures Kekoa with heart eyes. "Her name is Makana." Brock reveals his heroine's name in a mimic of Delia for the mother. "She is the daughter of the chief in the next village over."

As himself, Brock goes on "A few days later, as Kekoa gathered berries, he spotted Makana again. She wore a white dress-like tunic with a purple sash around her waist, and Kekoa watched as she picked flowers and wove a beautiful garland for her hair. After mustering his courage, he walked to her side and offered her some wild berries from his basket."

"What kind of berries?" a girl asks before her parents shush her.

"The tale never really says..." Brock confesses, to some awkward giggles before he continues. "Before long, the two were talking and laughing, enjoying each other's company. By the day's end, the whole village was talking of the love Kekoa felt for Makana."

"Aw"s fill the auditorium before Brock intones "However, the chief announced that he would soon choose a husband for his daughter Makana. All the warriors and princes and young men from tribes from far and wide came to hear the announcement, for many loved Makana."

In his standard "king" voice for the chief, he announces "Whoever brings Makana the most wonderful gift in the world will be her husband."

As himself, he intones "When Kekoa heard this, his heart nearly broke. He knew nothing of faraway treasures. All his life he had worked hard, grinding Cornn Berries for flour, carrying water, planting crops and making pots. Others had traveled the world. Other young men would bring to Makana gifts he could only dream of. Filled with despair, Kekoa walked to the spring to pray to the guardian spirits of Alola, who would in turn intercede for him before Arceus."

He grins, signaling all hope isn't lost for Kekoa. "When he saw his friend the Spinarak, he told her of his sadness. By the next day the young men began to return to the village with their treasures. They brought fine rugs and plumes, jewelry studded with precious gems, goblets of the finest silver. They brought brightly colored bird Pokemon and Chatots who spoke. They brought shimmering stones and beautifully carved wooden boxes, among other things. When Kekoa saw all these gifts, he knew he had lost Makana. He returned to the spring and sat down on a rock to ponder his impending misfortune."

The children swallow hard as Brock continues "Suddenly he heard a tiny voice say 'Look here,' and Kekoa turned. Beneath the bush he saw the Spinarak.

"I am your friend," he explains in a mimic of Bonnie for the Spinarak. "I will make something to help you win the hand of Makana."

"I never knew you could talk!" he gasps in a mimic of Ash for Kekoa.

"Arceus has given me the gift of speech," he replies as the Spinarak. "Now look here."

As himself, Brock continues "As Kekoa watched, the Spinarak began to spin. All night, Kekoa sat and watched as she spun her delicate, silky threads. She moved the threads from here to there, weaving flowers and berries and rainbows. The web grew as Kekoa watched, and by dawn the Spinarak had woven a mantle of shimmering silk like nothing seen on earth."

"A gift must pass from hand to hand to hand," he smiles as the Spinarak. "Take this to Makana."

He continues as himself "Kekoa could not find the words to thank his friend. He blushed and stammered, and finally he ran to the chief and bowed before him. He draped the mantle onto Makana's back. Everyone gasped, for it was truly the most exquisite gift they had ever seen."

He concludes "The chief was dazzled, and proclaimed that Kekoa would marry Makana. The hokani, or minstrels, struck up a joyful melody on the instruments, and the people danced and sang in celebration. All the women of the village tried for years to weave the same beautiful silk, but no one ever made a mantle so perfect, and so filled with friendship and love."

Then a thought occurs to him. "In fact,when Makana grew old, she passed the mantle on to her daughter, who in turn passed it onto hers, and on down through the ages. And so it was that the Spinarak's gift lasted forever."

"Aw"s and applause resonate through the auditorium as Brock takes a bow...

Week 314: The Tauros and the Ursaring

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 220, story 2)

"Long ago in Johto, there was a man named Genji." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "He owned a Tauros he had raised from a calf, naming it Kuro, after its dark fur."

The lights dim to mimic nighttime. "One night, Genji came to the barn and panicked when he saw that Kuro had somehow gone missing." Brock continues. "He looked all over the farm, but a few hours later, Kuro returned, lagging as if wounded. Genji wondered how Kuro could have gotten tired, but still gave him fresh hay and water."

Intrigued murmurs go up as Brock goes on "The next night, Kuro disappeared again, only to return a few hours later, exhausted. After this wore on for several nights, Genji wondered where Kuro was going, and why. So that night, he followed Kuro from a distance."

He then reveals where Kuro was going. "It turned out that Kuro was going to the top of a mountain, where every year in the spring, Tauros would compete for dominance against each other, as well as impressing the Miltanks. So Genji would lead Kuro and some of the other Tauros into town to trade, and they would come back loaded with many rare and beautiful items and supplies. But their route went over the mountains, which was often treacherous. In addition to the wind, rain, and snow, there were also Mightyenas, Ursarings, and bandits to worry about."

Gasps and fearful speculation waft through the theater. "One day, as they neared the peak of a particular mountain, Kuro stopped, and warily eyed a large bush by the road, as if ready to charge at any moment." Brock's voice quiets the chatter. "When an Ursaring emerged from the brush, Genji realized Kuro was doing more than protecting the herd--it was a matter of pride, and Kuro wanted to prove he was more than prey for the fierce predator."

"Oh"s fill the air as Brock continues "Kuro and the Ursaring fought for hours until both sides were exhausted, and then went their separate ways. The next night, Genji wondered how he could help Kuro triumph over the Ursaring. He considered hiring a hunter, but knew that would hurt Kuro's pride. Inspired, he took some butter left over from dinner, and rubbed them on Kuro's horns, until the butter hardened like armor."

The lights dim again as he intones "Genji went with Kuro to the mountain again, and watched as Tauros and the Ursaring clashed beneath the moonlight. But this time, the Ursaring's claws slid right off the Tauros' horns, allowing Kuro to Skull Bash him. The battle raged even fiercer than before until finally, exhausted and mortally wounded, both Kuro and the Ursaring perished at the same time."

Sniffles fill the room as Brock concludes "Heartbroken, Genji buried them both on the mountainside, and passed down the story of Kuro's epic battle to the children of the town, which his descendants continue to do in Ecruteak City today."

"Aw"s and applause fill the auditorium as Brock takes a bow...

Week 315: The King and the Brave Lady

(real tale: The Mikado and the Brave Maiden)

"Once upon a time, a prosperous merchant--whose name is not important to us--lived with his daughter, Hikari." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "He loved his child, though sometimes, despite his daughter's devotion, he secretly wished he had a son. Hikari would always say she was her father's blessing, and the merchant smiled, though his secret desire remained."

Intrigued murmurs fill the room. "One day, the merchant took some cloth to the king, who was weak, ill and had a hair-trigger temper." Brock intones, quieting the whispers. "The merchant unrolled his cloth before the king, confident the beautiful colors and patterns would please his lord. But to his dismay, the king scowled."

"Your cloth is faded! How dare you offend me?"he almost yells in his standard "king" voice.

Gasps fill the air as Brock continues as himself "As punishment, he banished the merchant to a lonely island far off the coast of what is today Kanto. When Hikari learned the news, she was understandably distraught, but she was determined to go to her father. She would not let him live his days alone. If he had to be banished, the king would have to banish her too."

Cheers go up in support of Hikari. "She immediately set off for the coastal region of Kanto." Brock continues. "Once at the docks, she begged sailor after sailor to take her to the islands. But the sailors, one by one, refused. They were too afraid, for they knew if they disobeyed the king, they would be thrown in the dungeon for the rest of their lives, or worse, killed. But Hikari was determined. That night, when all the sailors were asleep, she snuck into a tiny, unmanned boat and set sail. At dawn, she reached one of the large islands. She walked about, asking everyone she saw if they would tell her where she could find her father. The islanders refused, for they too feared the king's fury. By evening, Hikari was in despair. With nowhere to go, and no one to help her, she looked for a place to sleep."

The lights dim a little to simulate nighttime. "Finally she spotted a statue of Arceus on top of a cliff, and lay on the ground to sleep beneath Arceus' watchful eye. She was nearly asleep when she heard the sound of crying. She stood up, peeked around the statue, and saw a young girl struggling with a priest who was trying to push her over the cliff.

"Stop!" he cries in a mimic of Serena for Hikari, startling some in the crowd.

As himself, he narrates "The priest, startled by the sound, let go of the girl and turned to face Hikari. Hikari noticed that the priest, too, was crying."

He then proceeds to role play the entire conversation between Hikari and the priest. "Why do you cry?"

"Tonight the great king of the sea, Gyarados demands tribute, in the form of a maiden of pure heart. Every year we must choose a maiden by lot. If we fail to give Gyarados tribute, he will send storms that will flood our land and kill many on the sea."

"I will sacrifice myself in this girl's place. I cannot find my father and have nothing to live for."

He intones as himself "Before the priest could answer, Hikari dove into the sea. As she sank below the surface, she saw the great Gyarados slithering out of his cave. When he spotted her, he opened his huge mouth, and Hikari saw millions of razor sharp teeth. She reached for her sword, and without a moment's hesitation, swam towards the Gyarados, and after a very long and difficult battle, killed it."

Applause goes up at this. "At first he thrashed his tail, whipping the water, the coral, the fish Pokemon, and chased her toward the surface, but finally, he succumbed to his fatal wound." Brock explains. "Hikari, strengthened with new resolve and Arceus' protection, had done what no one else, in hundreds of years, had had the courage to do.

More applause fills the auditorium in agreement. "Hikari dove back underwater and peered inside the cave, where she saw a small statue of the king, the one who had banished her father." Brock continues when the applause quiets. "Without thinking about why, she tied the statue to her back and swam out of the cave. The islanders would never believe the Gyarados was dead unless they saw for themselves. Summoning every ounce of strength she had left, she swam to the Gyarados' body, cut off a glittering scale, and began to swim toward shore."

The lights brighten to mimic morning. "Meanwhile, on the shore, the priest and the maiden were offering prayers of thanks to Arceus for Hikari's sacrifice. They were amazed when they looked up and saw the brave maiden swimming toward shore, a Gyarados scale in her hand. At first they trembled with fear, but then they looked again and realized that the scale Hikari carried was from the great Gyarados--and it would never again demand tribute. Overcome with joy, they ran to help Hikari onto the beach. Once on dry land, Hikari untied the statue from her back and placed it beside the Gyarados scale."

"Many years ago, an enemy of the king cursed him and threw his statue into the sea." he explains as the priest. "Ever since that day, the king has been evil and cruel. No one could cure him. We must send word of Hikari's great deed."

As himself, Brock continues "When the messenger arrived to give the king the news, he was delighted to find him healthy as never before. "The child Hikari is to thank," the messenger said, and he told the king the whole story from start to finish. Before long, the news that the king was his old self again spread across the land, and the people were filled with joy. Safety and comfort had come to them, thanks to the courage of a young girl. The king immediately set Hikari's father free, and begged his forgiveness for being so cruel to him."

"Your daughter has saved us all." he explains to an imagined person as the king. "She should be handsomely rewarded, but the only reward she asked for was her father's return."

He concludes as himself "Hikari embraced her father. With tears in his eyes, he said to her, 'You are indeed my blessing.'"

"Aw" and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow...

Misty joins Brock in telling a tale they learned on their Alola trip...

Week 316: Tapu Koko's Kite

(real tale: The Kite Flier)

Surprised murmurs fill the auditorium as Misty and Brock, both in Alolan shirts, arrive onstage. "Once upon a time, the people of Alola say, the Pokemon Tapu Koko used the huge stone slabs on his arms to pull up the islands of the Alola region. Tapu Koko was small, but strong. He was also a bit of a trickster, with boundless energy and never-ending curiosity. His mind was always at work, inventing and discovering new things."

Intrigued whispers fill the air as Misty continues "One day he was walking near his home on Melemele Island. As usual, he was thinking of something to do. Tapu Koko was searching for adventure when he saw his mother carrying a roll of paper cloth known as kapa. 'That's it!' Tapu Koko thought, and when his mother laid her kapa on the ground and turned her back, Tapu Koko snatched a piece of the cloth, and hurried to the riverbank. After sitting there for a few minutes folding the cloth, he produced the world's first kite."

She deadpans "The next question was what to do with his new invention."

Giggles fill the air at the comment. "He tossed it into the air and caught it, and then he noticed an olona bush, a kind of plant native to the Alola region, growing nearby." Misty continues. "His eyes lit up as he stripped off a piece of the loose bark and braided it, creating a long, strong cord, which, he tied to his kite. Holding the cord, Tapu Koko launched his kite into the sky. Summoning his magical powers, he sang the song of the wind...

Karuto, iichiida shou... Brock fills in the spellsong.

"The kite rose slowly and bounced along, floating forward, dipping down gently. Tapu Koko shook and tugged at the cord, blowing as hard as he could, but his kite moved as if it were a wounded bird, tumbling forward and tripping backward." Misty continues. "Tapu Koko realized he needed wind, and of course, he knew exactly where to find it."

She explains "Long before, a priestess, in a fit of anger at the roaring winds that sometimes lashed the islands, opened a calabash, a giant gourd, and trapped the winds inside. 'I must set the winds free,' Tapu Koko thought, so he stood upon the riverbank far from the big island, many miles from the village where the priestess lived. Tapu Koko gazed across the water and began to sing the following..."

Chì mi, chì mi, chì mi thall ud... Brock starts a hypnotic Gaelic melody.
Chì mi na féidh air a' bhearradh
Hi rì him bò hill ò bha rò hò
Hi rì him bò hìrì ri ri ù
Hi rì him bo hill ò bha rò hò...

"From her village, the priestess heard Tapu Koko's song, and was powerless to stop her hand from obeying the god Pokemon's command." Misty continues over Brock's voice. "She lifted the cover of the calabash, and the winds, freed from their trap, rushed out and sailed toward the coast. They swept across the ocean, on their way to Melemele Bay, carried by Tapu Koko's song...

Hi rì him bo hill ò bha rò hò... Brock starts the song's chorus again.

"The winds whipped their way along river gorges and tore over the peaks." Misty continues, her voice blending perfectly with Brock singing. "As they swept toward the river, they spotted the kite. To the winds, the kite looked like a monster. They rumbled toward it, eager to destroy the invader. Tapu Koko stood upon the lava rocks, holding the cord of his kite, and when those winds attacked, even the little Pokemon had to brace himself against their force. The winds pummeled that kite, pushing it higher and higher, and Tapu Koko's feet gripped the lava rocks where he stood as the cord stretched and stretched. Tapu Koko's kite moved with the winds. It turned somersaults; it whirled and twisted, swirled and stretched. With each blow of the winds, the kite sailed higher, faster, its dance turning ragged and wild."

She grins "Tapu Koko's heart pounded with joy, and he began to sing again..."

Hi rì him bò hill ò bha rò hò
Hi rì him bò hìrì ri ri ù
Brock repeats the song's chorus again.

"The kite struggled as the fierce winds attacked." Misty goes on. "Tapu Koko loved to match his strength against the powerful. The winds stirred up storms that rushed inland, and as waves crashed on the shore, the winds climbed to the highest part of the sky. High above the mountains, the winds gathered strength again and crashed violently against the kite, bending it backward and forward. The kapa was strong, and the kite did not tear, but even Tapu Koko strained. Still he kept on singing...

...Hi rì him bò hìrì ri ri ù
Brock sings another rendition of the hypnotic song's chorus.

"The winds were relentless, and suddenly, the cord snapped and the kite tumbled over the volcano craters, somersaulting over mountain peaks." Misty intones over Brock singing the song's final verse. "But Tapu Koko was determined to win this contest. With one leap he crossed those mountains, 1,400 feet high and 60 miles long. He stood over his kite that lay upon the ground, bruised and battered. Tapu Koko reattached the cord and sent his kite up, but this time when the winds grew too wild, he stopped singing." Brock finishes the song at this point.

"Day after day he flew his kite, entertaining himself, until one day the people began to notice the dancing kite." Misty explains. "They watched, dazzled by the dancing kapa, and after a while they understood that when the kite soared in the sky, the weather would be dry, the wind brisk but not too wild. On those days they rejoiced. But when Tapu Koko's kite whipped this way and that, the people warned each other. 'Tapu Koko's kite is in the heavens,' they would say. On those days Tapu Koko tied his line to the great black stones that lay in the riverbed, and the people knew they must protect their homes from furious winds and the coming storms."

She concludes "And so it was that Tapu Koko once again invented a way for the people to better understand their world, and at the same time instilled in them the same joy in play that he felt when he watched his kite sailing across the sky."

Thunderous applause fills the auditorium as Misty and Brock take a bow together...

Week 317: The Fletchling Guide

(real tale: The Heroic Honeybird)

"Once upon a time two brothers--whose names are not important--walked together into the wilds of Kalos." Brock begins. "Their plan was to hunt for as long as it took to fill their bags with food for their people."

Intrigued murmurs fill the auditorium at this. "For a long time the two boys followed the trails across the plains, then walked into the wilderness, where few were brave enough to venture." Brock intones. "The grass grew tall and dry, the sun was hot, and the little brother grew afraid. But the big brother was a brave young man, and when a little bird Pokemon with a red head circled their heads, he looked up."

"The Fletchling wants us to follow him." he interjects in a mimic of Clemont for the elder brother.

"But what if we get lost?" he worries in a mimic of Ash for the younger brother.

"But the big brother did not listen." he continues as himself. "Leaving his little brother behind, he walked on, following the Fletchling until he came to an overturned clay pot, where the Fletchling stopped to rest. The little brother, meanwhile, had run to catch up with his big brother, but when he saw the pot, he winced. But the big brother watched the Fletchling as it hovered over the pot. Then he knelt and asked..."

"What do you want, Miss Fletchling?" he asks an imagined Pokemon as the elder brother.

"And the Fletchling sang." he narrates, before retrieving his own whistle and mimicking a Fletchling song on it, much to the delight of the children in the audience. "The big brother reached forward and turned over the pot. An enormous Arbok emerged from beneath the pot, and before the boys could say a word, the Arbok spoke to them in human language."

"Follow me," he whispers in character as the Arbok.

So the big brother followed the Arbok deep into the wilderness until they reached a flowering Cheri tree with an axe stuck in its trunk." he narrates as himself.

"Cut down the tree." he instructs as the Arbok.

"The big brother immediately reached for the axe." Brock continues as himself. "But before he took a single swing, a Miltank stepped from the tree. With the next stroke, a Gogoat emerged, and with the next came a Mareep. With each stroke of the axe another Pokemon emerged, and soon the big brother was surrounded by a huge crowd of Pokemon."

"Now, drive the flock home," he whispers as the Arbok. "Don't forget the Fletchling who set me free, so I could offer you this gift."

"Awed gasps waft through the auditorium as Brock goes on as himself "Elated, the big brother looked for his little brother. When the little brother saw the huge crowd of Pokemon, he was stunned. The big brother told him everything."

"We must promise if ever a Fletchling comes to us, we will pay attention to it and give it whatever is wishes." he instructs as the elder brother.

"The little brother nodded, but he was not thinking of the Fletchling." he warns as himself. "His heart had grown greedy, for he imagined the praise he would hear when he returned to the village with this crowd of Pokemon. As they traveled home, the Pokemon started crying for water. They came to a precipice, and when the big brother looked down, he saw a stream far below.

"Come, we will tie a rope and I shall lower you down to get water." he explains as the elder brother. "Then you will lower me, and we'll carry up buckets to quench the Pokemon's thirst."

"So the big brother lowered the little brother to the stream, and the boy drank his fill. Then the big brother pulled him up, and the little brother lowered the big brother." Brock continues as himself. "Just as the big brother reached the water, the little brother had a devious idea. He tossed the rope over the edge of the cliff and hurried away, leaving his big brother to die."

The audience gasps at this. "When the little brother reached home, the villagers rushed out to greet him, delighted at the sight of the hundreds of Pokemon." Brock continues. "But then they asked where his big brother was."

"He was tired and stopped to rest. He will return soon." he replies as the little brother

"Of course, the big brother did not return that day, but no one was worried." Brock assures the antsy crowd. "They knew the big brother was adventurous, and he would return when he was ready. The next day, as the ladies of the village were doing laundry in a stream, a Fletchling hovered over their heads, singing loudly."

He mimics another Fletchling song with his whistle for effect. "One of the ladies knew that Fletchlings guided people lost in the wilderness." he continues. "She hurried back to tell the other villagers the news. Many of the villagers set off to follow the Fletchling as it flew deeper and deeper into the wilderness."

"Did they find the big brother?" a girl in one row asks.

"After some hours, they came to the precipice." Brock explains. "There the Fletchling began to sing with all his might..."

He mimics a more elaborate Fletchling song for effect. "...and he swooped over the edge and into the valley below, where he landed at the big brother's feet." he continues. "Up above, the villagers peered over the edge. When they saw the big brother, they quickly made a rope of vines and let it down to rescue the big brother."

Relieved sighs fill the room as Brock continues "Back at the top, the big brother told the story of his little brother's treachery. But, he said, instead of thinking of punishment, they first had to think of a reward for the Fletchling. The villagers agreed, but before they returned home, word had reached the village of the rescue of the big brother. When he heard the news, the little brother, fearing his punishment, ran away, where he hasn't been heard from since then."

He concludes "Ever since that day, the people of Kalos have listened for the cry of the Fletchling, and whenever they hear that cry, they follow it."

Applause fills the air as Brock pockets the whistle and takes a bow...

Week 318a: The Three Princes, part 1

(real tale: The King's Three Sons)

"Long ago, there once lived a king and a queen. They were wise and good, and their kingdom was known far and wide as the happiest and most peaceful country in the world." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "They had three sons, Owen, Eric, and Firion, all handsome and brave and greatly loved by their parents. But, having no daughter, the king had adopted his orphaned niece Isabel. She grew up with his sons, and was their best-loved playmate, both the king and queen making no distinction between her and their own children."

"Aw"s fill the room at the heartwarming scene. "As Princess Isabel grew older, she also grew fairer, and by the time when she was sixteen years old there was no maiden in the land as beautiful and sweet as Princess Isabel." Brock explains. "All three brothers fell in love with her and wanted to marry her, each in turn asking his father for her hand in marriage. The king was puzzled about what to do, for he loved his sons equally well, so finally he decided that Princess Isabel choose for herself which one she liked best. So he summoned her, and told her that she welcome to choose as a husband any one she found worthy, be this one of his sons or someone else entirely."

"It is my duty as well as my pleasure to obey you, Father, but when you tell me that I can choose one of the princes as my husband, you give me a very difficult task, for they are all equally dear to me." he explains in a mimic of May for Princess Isabel.

As himself, he continues "When the king heard these words, he saw that his troubles were not over there, so he thought for a long time how he could best find a way that would satisfy all parties, and finally decided to send all three sons away for a year. Whoever succeeded in bringing back the most precious and valuable thing from his travels when they returned would receive the hand of Isabel as his reward. The three princes were willing to accept these terms, and agreed that at the end of the year they would all meet at their hunting lodge and all go together to the king's palace with their gifts; so, bidding farewell to their parents and Isabel, they went their separate ways."

Intrigued murmurs fill the room as Brock continues "Prince Owen, the eldest son, traveled from city to city, and explored many exotic lands, without finding anything precious enough to take home. Finally, when he had almost given up all hope, he heard that, not very far from where he was, there lived a princess who possessed a wonderful spyglass, so powerful that one could see all over the world with it. No country was too far, and not only could one see every town, but also every house and tree, and even people and Pokemon inside the houses. So, after arriving at the castle where the princess--her name is not important to us--lived, he told her the reason for his journey, and asked if she would sell him her spyglass. At first the princess said she would not part with it, but when Prince Owen told her how much depended on his taking back so valuable a gift, she agreed to let him have it for a hundred thousand pieces of gold. Prince Owen did not mind this; he only thought the gold well spent, and hurried home, full of hope that he would secure the hand of Isabel."

Awed whistles fill the air as the audience pictures that much money. "Prince Eric fared not much differently than his elder brother." Brock continues. "He also traveled to distant lands, seeking in vain something rare and precious to bring home. Finally, when the year was almost up, he reached a large city. In the inn, he met a man who told him that in a cave outside the town there lived a dwarf named Talin Steelheart, who was famed for his skill in all kinds of metalwork. The next day, Prince Eric went to visit Talin, but when he told him what he wanted, Talin said he was in the middle of gathering more materials to make more items."

"The last thing I made before I ran out of materials was a shield--I consider it one of the finest bits of work I've ever done, but it has also some very special properties." he explains in a very slight Scottish brogue for Talin.

"And what are these special properties?"he asks in a mimic of Ethan for Prince Eric.

"It is a perfect safeguard in battle." he explains as Talin. "No ordinary sword, arrow, or spell can pierce it. If you stand on it, it will carry you anywhere the world, through the air as well as across water. But there are some old runes, or ancient letters, carved on the shield, which he who guides it must be able to read. I will show you."

As himself, he continues "With that, Talin went to the back of the cave and brought forth a beautiful shield, made of gold, silver, and crystal, the runes made of rubies, sapphires, emeralds, diamonds, pearls, and other jewels. When Prince Eric saw the shield and heard of its magic properties, he thought it would not be possible to find anything more rare or valuable. He told Talin how much depended on his bringing back so precious a gift, and begged him to let him purchase it. He begged for so hard and so long, that, although reluctant to part with it, when Talin heard how much was at stake, he said he would sell it to him for a hundred and fifty thousand pieces of gold. He also taught him how to read the runes, and Prince Eric, thanking Talin for consenting to part with his shield, started on his homeward journey, filled with hope and confidence that he would win Princess Isabel's hand."

More awed chatter fills the air as the audience imagines what the magical shield would look like, if it were real. "Prince Firion, the youngest son, decided to travel through his own land before going elsewhere." Brock's voice quiets the excited chatter. "So he wandered across the land, stopping in this town and that town, and wherever he met a merchant, or hoped to find anything rare or beautiful, he asked them all manner of questions. All his efforts, however, proved fruitless. The greater part of the year had already passed, and he was still as far as ever from his goal, and he almost began to fear that no success would crown his efforts."

He then assures the audience "Finally he came to a large and populous town, where a festival was being held, and millions of people from all over the world came--some to buy, some to sell, and some just to look. He followed the crowd, and went on from stall to stall, and from one merchant to another, inspecting their wares and chatting and asking for news. But though there were many beautiful and wondrous things, nothing really stood out. At last, tired and thirsty, he sat down beside a large Berry stall. The merchant, seeing a likely customer, asked if he was interested in buying something; offering him Grepa Berries, Pecha Berries, Pinap Berries, and Watmel Berries, to name but a few. But Prince Firion shook his head; none of these tempted him, for on the very top shelf he saw a Leppa Berry that looked like it was made of pure crystal, lying on a bed of soft moss."

"I would like that Leppa Berry, and do not mind what I pay for it, though all your Berries are beautiful." he requests in a mimic of Ash for Prince Firion.

He interjects as himself "The merchant smiled, but shook his head."

"You have a quick eye, for that Leppa Berry is indeed the rarest and most valuable thing I have." he explains in a mimic of Prof. Oak for the merchant. "But it is not for sale. It was given to one of my ancestors, who was a great doctor, by an Audino. It will heal anyone that eats of it, even if they are at the brink of death. Many a life it has saved, since it never grows smaller, no matter how much is eaten."

He continues as himself "When Prince Firion heard this, he wished more than ever to own the Leppa Berry. He felt he could not possibly find anything that Princess Isabel, who was so kind-hearted, would value more than the possession of this Leppa Berry, which would enable her to help many people. He begged the merchant to let him buy the Leppa Berry, and when the man had heard his story, and all that depended on his bringing back such a rare and precious gift, he sold the Leppa Berry to Prince Firion, who, filled with hope, made his way homewards. As they had agreed, the three brothers arrived at the hunting lodge outside the capital, and after they had related their adventures, Prince Owen, the eldest, said..."

"Let us hurry to the palace, but before we go, I would like to see what Princess Isabel is doing." he suggests in a mimic of Callum for Prince Owen."

He then intones "He then looked in the direction of the palace with the spyglass, but no sooner had he done so, did he gasp in horror, for there on her bed lay Princess Isabel, white as a Gastly, while beside her stood the king, the queen, and the lord high chamberlain in a sorrowful group, sadly awaiting the last breath of the fair Isabel. When Prince Owen saw this, he was overwhelmed with grief, and when his brothers heard what he had seen, they too were overcome with sorrow. Gladly would each have given all they possessed to go back in time, at least to bid her farewell."

Sniffles start to fill the air, but Brock assures the audience all hope isn't lost. "Then Prince Eric remembered his magic shield, which would carry them to the king's palace, and got it out. The three brothers stood on it, and the shield rose up in the air. In seconds they had reached the palace and hurried up to Princess Isabel's room, where they found the whole court assembled, sadly awaiting the end. Then Prince Firion remembered his Leppa Berry. Stepping softly up to the bed, he bent over the still white form of the princess and gently fed her a little bit of it. No sooner had she swallowed the small bite did she take a dramatic turn for the better. it seemed as if a fresh stream of life passed through her body. The color returned to her lips and cheeks, she opened her eyes, and after a few minutes she was able to sit up and speak. Everyone at the court rejoiced over the marvel, and that the sons had returned."

Relieved applause fills the air. "But as soon as Princess Isabel was completely better, the king, mindful of his promise, called together a great assembly, where the brothers were to exhibit the treasures they had brought back, and judgment would be pronounced." Brock explains. "First came Prince Owen with his spyglass. This was passed around for the people to see, while he explained its magical properties, and telling them how he had saved Princess Isabel, for he had been able to see how sick she was. He assumed that he had earned the right to claim Princess Isabel's hand. Then Prince Eric stepped forward, and showed the beautiful shield he had gotten from the dwarf Talin Steelheart, and explained what it could do. Then it was Prince Firion's turn to come forward with the Leppa Berry. He said...

"I fear that neither the spyglass which first showed us that Princess Isabel was sick, nor the shield which so quickly brought us here, would have been enough to restore Princess Isabel to life and health, had it not been for the magic power of my Leppa Berry. For what good could our mere presence have done her? Our seeing her sick and unable to help her, would only have added to our grief and pain. It is due to my Leppa Berry that Princess Isabel has been restored to us, and I believe my claim to her hand is the greatest." he explains as Prince Firion.

He continues as himself "The judges declared that all three articles were of equal value, for they had all equally contributed to restore Princess Isabel to life and health. If one had been missing, they said, the other two would have been worthless. So it was decreed, with all three gifts being equally valuable, neither of the brothers could claim Princess Isabel's hand."

Gasps go up at the twist in the tale, but the surprise turns to excitement when the lights come up on a familiar prop bow and a quiver full of prop arrows at stage right. "Then the king suggested the idea of allowing his sons to shoot for the prize, and whoever was judged to be the best shot would wed Princess Isabel." Brock explains as he prepares his gear. "So a target was set up, and Prince Owen, armed with his bow and 30 arrows, stepped forth first."

The audience hears the click of Brock's target sliding into place. "Taking careful aim, he drew his bow, and the arrow sped forth, but it fell some distance short of the mark." Brock narrates before he nocks and fires his own shot, which hits the innermost ring near the bullseye.

When the applause for his first shot dies down, Brock prepares another shot. "Then Prince Eric stepped forth. He too took careful aim, and his arrow landed a little closer to the mark."

With that, he fires a second shot, which lands very close to the bullseye. "Now it was Prince Firion's turn. He too took careful aim, and all the people said his arrow went beyond the mark, and that he was the best shot."

Brock then nocks and fires a third shot, which lands on the bullseye. "But when they went to look for it, it could not be found anywhere. In vain did the people look in all directions, but no sign of the arrow could be found. So the king decided that Prince Eric had won the hand of Princess Isabel. The wedding then took place amid great splendor and rejoicing, and Princess Isabel and her husband then went to her homeland, where they reigned long and happily."

He then intones "Or did they?" signaling he still has more to tell the next week.

Week 318b: The Three Princes, part 2

(real tale: The King's Three Sons)

"The eldest brother, Prince Owen, annoyed that he had not been successful, started off on a long journey filled with adventure." Brock begins as he arrives onstage, picking up from where he left off the previous week. "But that is another story for another time."

Intrigued murmurs fill the air as Brock continues "Only Prince Firion was left at home. But he was not satisfied with the way things had turned out, for he had always been considered by far the best shot. He searched every day in the field where the archery contest had taken place, looking for his arrow. Finally, after many days, he found it lodged in an oak tree, far beyond the mark. He brought witnesses to see that his claim was true. Although there could be no question that his arrow had gone the furthest, the king said it was now too late to do anything about the matter, as Princess Isabel had married."

He intones "Prince Firion was shaken. He thought he had been unfairly treated, and finally, he decided to leave on a journey of his own. He packed up his belongings, and, bidding his parents farewell, started off in search of adventure."

Interested murmurs fill the air as Brock goes on "After passing the wide plains that surrounded the capital, he climbed high mountains, and from there descended into a great forest. Here he wandered for several days, but no matter where he turned, he could see nothing but trees all around him. The small amount of food he had was gone, and so, tired, hungry, and sore, he sat down to rest on a large grey rock, unable to go any further. He thought his time had come, when suddenly he heard the noise of Ponyta hooves in the distance. Looking up he saw ten knights mounted on horseback coming rapidly towards him. They were all finely dressed and well armed, the last one leading a Rapidash in royal regalia. When they came to Prince Firion, the leader dismounted, and, bowing low before him, begged him to honor them by mounting the steed they had brought with them. Prince Firion gratefully accepted this offer, and, mounting the Rapidash, the party turned back the way they had come, riding on until they arrived at a large city. Before entering the gates they dismounted, with only Prince Firion remaining on horseback, and then led Prince Firion in state to the palace."

He explains "Now, it happened that a beautiful young queen named Holly reigned over this land. She had been left an orphan at an early age, her father entrusting his chief ministers with the care and responsibility of looking after her and finding her a worthy husband. Queen Holly welcomed our hero with all the honor due him. She told him that her fairy godmother, a light fairy named Aurica, had bestowed on her the gift of farsight, which allowed her to see what happened anywhere in the world."

"A wandering minstrel came here and told us of the wonderful journeys you and your brothers had made, and also of your sorrow at your failure in the archery competition for the Princess Isabel's hand, though you were the best shot of the three." he explains in a mimic of Misty for Queen Holly. "Then Arceus called me to try and make you happy. So I followed your travels after you left your father's palace, and when I saw you, sad and tired, resting on the rock in the forest, I sent forth some of my knights to meet you and bring you here. Now, with the consent of my ministers, I invite you to remain here as my husband. You will rule over my kingdom, and I will try as best as I can to heal all the trouble and anxiety you have gone through."

"Prince Firion was charmed with Queen Holly's beauty, wisdom, and kindness, and happy days followed for both of them. After some time they married and ruled well together." he continues as himself.

Some in the audience start to applaud, but Brock quickly reminds them "But our story doesn't end here."

He explains "Meanwhile, Prince--now King--Firion's father became a widower. He soon asked another woman, named Tristessa, to marry him. No sooner had it happened, the king ruled in name only. Queen Tristessa always sat beside him, even when he was on his throne, and he would do nothing without consulting her, and no matter how wrong or unfair it might be, he always did whatever she wished. Her selfish whims brought many tears to the people--which was quite fitting when her name meant "sadness"."

Nervous giggles fill the air as Brock narrates "One day she said to him..."

"It seems very strange to me that you have never made any attempt to bring back your son who went away. It was only the other day we heard that he had become king of a neighboring land. I'm sure that as soon as he has a large enough army, he will come and attack you here, in order to avenge himself for the wrong he imagines was done him in the archery contest for Princess Isabel's hand. Summon your army, and attack him first." he suggests in a mimic of Jessie for Queen Tristessa.

He narrates as himself "At first the king would not listen to what Queen Tristessa said, but Queen Tristessa brought forward fresh arguments each day, until the king thought that maybe there was some small grain of truth to what she claimed, and asked her what to do."

"First send messengers to him with gifts, and invite him to come and see you, so that you may discuss with him about his succession to the throne after you, and also to strengthen the friendship and neighborly relations between your two countries. After that, we will consult further." he suggests as Queen Tristessa.

He continues over the angry murmurs as himself "The king thought her advice very good, and immediately sent messengers with gifts to his son. When they arrived at King Firion's court, they told the young king how anxious his father was to see him, and hoped he would come to visit him. King Firion, greatly pleased with the handsome gifts his father had sent him, agreed to go, and hurried to make all preparations for his journey. But when Queen Holly heard of it she became very anxious, and begged her husband not to leave her."

"I feel that some danger threatens you, and that you may even lose your life." he pleads as Queen Holly.

"Surely you do not think my father would ask me to come to him if he meant to do something terrible to me. Take heart--I will return soon." he assures an imagined person as King Firion.

He narrates as himself "With that, he bade her a fond farewell and started off with the messengers, arriving after a short journey at his father's court. Instead of the warm greeting that was promised him, the king received him coldly, and began to scold him for leaving him without so much as saying goodbye."

"It was unacceptable behavior, and caused so much grief to your father that he was nearly at death's door; and had anything happened to him, your life would have been given in exchange for his, according to the laws of the land. As, you have given yourself up willingly, and have come here when he sent for you, he will not condemn you to die, but gives you three tasks to perform, which you must accomplish within the year." he decrees as Queen Tristessa.

After waiting for the boos to quiet, he continues as himself "King Firion protested that he never meant to disobey his father. But Queen Tristessa would not let the old king speak, and said the only way Firion could save his life was to carry out the tasks his father had set him--bring back a tent large enough to accommodate a hundred knights, and yet so fine and thin that you could cover it with one hand. Next, he was to bring some of the famous Water of Life, which cured all disease and brought the dead back to life. Then he was to show someone unlike anyone else in the world."

"And where must I go to find these rarities?" he asks as King Firion

"You're on your own there." he deadpans as the old king, to some laughter.

He continues as himself "Tristessa, taking his arm, led him away into his own chamber; and King Firion sorrowfully returned to his own kingdom. On his arrival, Queen Holly hurried down to meet him, and seeing him looking sad, asked him what had happened at his father's court. At first King Firion, not wanting to frighten her, joked about the courtesy, or lack thereof, shown to him; but Queen Holly, kneeling down beside him, and taking his hand in hers, begged him to hide nothing from her."

"I know you have had some difficult tasks given you, which will not be easy to perform." he explains as Queen Holly. "But do not lose heart, my love. Tell me everything, and then we will see if some way can be found to carry them out. It is not at all impossible that with my kind godmother's help, I may be able to help you. Now, tell me what makes you so anxious."

He narrates as himself "King Firion, taking heart, told Queen Holly of the difficult tasks that Queen Tristessa had given him to do."

"This is surely your stepmother's doing. She is a jealous and wicked woman." he intones as Queen Holly. "Let us hope she is not planning any further evil against you. She evidently thought these tasks she gave you would be more than you could do; but, fortunately, I can help you in some of them. The tent your father wants I happen to have. My godmother gave it to me, so that difficulty is taken care of. Then the Water of Life that you are to bring is not far from here. Nevertheless, it is not easy to get, for it is in a deep well, inside a dark cave, which is guarded by seven Pyroars and three huge Arboks. Many heroes have tried to get in and get some of the water, but no one has ever come back alive. I might give you some poison to kill these monsters, but, the water loses its healing power if it is taken after the Pokemon are dead. But I think I may nevertheless be able to help you get it."

As himself, Brock tells the crowd what happened next. "Queen Holly then sent for three of her tamers, and they drove seven Tauros and three great Emboars to the mouth of the cave. Here the Pokemon were killed, and the carcasses thrown down before the Pyroars and Arboks. While the Pokemon were gorging themselves with fresh meat, Queen Holly told King Firion to lower her quickly into the well. She had provided herself with a large crystal jar; which she filled with the water, and when King Firion drew her up again, they both reached the mouth of the cave just as the Pyroars and Arboks were finishing the last morsels of their meal."

"The first two tasks are complete, but the third and most difficult one still remains to be done, and this you must carry out by yourself." he warns as Queen Holly. "All I can do is to tell you how best to go about it. You must know that I have a half-brother who is a demigod, named Randur. He lives on an island not far from here. He is nine feet high, and stronger than twenty mortal men combined. He has the super senses of a Mightyena, and a pair of emerald eyes. It would be impossible to find another being like him. When he wants to go from one place to another, he swings himself along by means of a great pole fifty yards long, and in this way he almost seems to fly through the air like a bird. The island that he lives on forms a third of my father's kingdom, and my brother wished for a larger share. My father had a wonderful ring that my brother wished to keep, but this also fell to my share, and since then my brother has locked himself away on his island. I will write to him, enclosing the ring he always wanted. Perhaps that may compel him to be friendlier to us, and we may convince him to go to the king's court; for I know no one else who could so well fulfill the third task given you. Now, you must go to him, accompanied by a large retinue of heroes, for that will please him. When you approach his castle, take off your crown, and approach his throne bareheaded. He will then stretch forth his hand, and you must bend your knee and kiss it, and then hand him my letter and the ring. If after reading it he tells you to rise and seat yourself beside him, we may hope that he will aid us. And now, may Arceus' favor go with you! "

He continues as himself "King Firion followed Queen Holly's instructions to the letter. When he arrived at the demigod's palace, both he and his attendants were stunned at the giant before them; but quickly recovering himself, King Firion handed him Holly's letter and the ring. When the giant saw the ring he seemed greatly pleased, and said...."

"I suppose my sister wants my help in some important matter, since she sends me so valuable a present?" he asks in a mimic of Flint for Randur.

Brock then narrates "He then bade King Firion sit down beside him, and, having read his sister's letter, he said he was ready and willing to help carry out her wishes. He then stretched out his hand, grasped the long pole that always rested by the wall, and in a moment he had swung himself out of sight. King Firion feared that Randur had left them behind, but a loud shout told them he had only gone on ahead. So they followed, the giant waiting for them before going further; They eventually arrived at the palace, and Randur asked Holly what it was she wanted him to do. Queen Holly then told him what Prince Firion's father had required of her husband, and begged her brother to accompany Prince Firion back to his father's court. Randur, greatly pleased at finally receiving the ring he had long wished for, declared he was more than ready to do as she desired. So they started off for the old king's palace, which they reached without any further adventures."

Excited whispers fill the room as Brock continues "King Firion announced his arrival to his father; but though he informed him that he had obtained the three things required of him a year before, he carefully kept Randur in hiding until his presence was required, and asked that an assembly be called together, so he could show the people how he had succeeded in carrying out the tasks assigned to him. So the old king issued a proclamation all through the land, and on the appointed day so great was the interest and curiosity of everyone, from the king and his courtiers down to the very poorest laborer and herd boy, they numbered like sand by the sea. Queen Tristessa was furious at the thought that Prince Firion was successful, but she still hoped that it would be found that he had failed in some way or another."

He explains to the crowd "The tent was produced first. When it was set up, it was so large and roomy that a hundred knights and more easily fit inside, yet it was so finely made, that when closed anyone could cover it with their hand. So all the people declared Firion had finished his first task. Then King Firion brought the crystal jar with the Water of Life, and handed it to his father. Oueen Tristessa, who was getting red with anger, insisted on tasting it to see whether it was the right water and taken at the right time, so as not to lose its healing qualities. But as she had a dark heart, no sooner had she tasted the healing water, did she get very sick, and had to take a second taste to be healed again. So the second task was also successfully accomplished."

"Now, there only remains the third and last task, and that was the most difficult one. See that you have not failed in that." he cautions as the old king.

As himself, he intones "Then Prince Firion sent for the giant demigod. When Randur appeared before the crowd, springing into their midst by means of his long pole, everyone, but especially the old king, reared back in fear; they could not imagine how he had got there, and thought he was a Legendary Pokemon in human form. Never before had they seen so intimidating and yet so beautiful a being. But, unbeknownst to the crowd, Randur walked up to Queen Tristessa, and placing the point of his long pole against her chest, raised her up in the air, and then hurled her to the ground. She fell down dead, and was exposed as the hideous old demoness she really was. Having accomplished this, Randur left the stunned assembly, and returned to his island."

Cheers fill the air at Queen Tristessa's demise. "King Firion devoted all his efforts to restore and nurse the old king back to health. But a few drops of the Water of Life quickly healed him, and being freed from Queen Tristessa's wiles, he came to his senses, and found that all the faults he had thought his son guilty of, were all made up by Queen Tristessa. He called King Firion to his bedside, and begged his forgiveness for all the evil he had tried to do to him."

"I am only anxious now to make up to you, my dear son, for all you have suffered, and beg you never to leave me again. I will gladly hand over the kingdom to you, and live beside you in peace and quiet for the rest of my days." he offers as the old king.

He concludes as himself "King Firion forgave his father, and sent messengers to Queen Holly, telling her all that had happened, and asking her to join him. Queen Holly, when she received her husband's message, decided to give up her kingdom to her brother as a reward for all he had done for them. Then, accompanied by some of her husband's courtiers and friends, she rejoined Prince Firion. And the old king, happy at having his son again, lived to a good old age, surrounded by his grandchildren and great-grandchildren."

Week 319a: Prince Dustin's Adventure, part 1

(real tale: The Fire Bird)

"It was a great day for a great kingdom when one day, a little prince was born." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "The king was delighted, and the queen couldn't contain her ecstasy. The courtiers, though they hardly dared tap their feet in the palace, could not keep still; while the guards, the attendants, the pages and kitchen maids, drank their fill, glass after glass, until the following morning, when they all had dinner, and then crept off to bed. The people clapped, sang, and danced in the squares and in the streets, until they collapsed in exhaustion for a moment, then got a second wind to dance and sing some more. The whole city could not sleep out of sheer euphoria. The young prince was the firstborn, and would one day inherit his father's throne. And so the celebration carried on like this for days, weeks, months on end!"

"Wow"s fill the air as the crowd imagines the wild party. "The healers smiled on the young prince. They knew the boy was strong and healthy, and would live a long, healthy, and prosperous life." Brock explains. "After the revelry was over, a wise man from a land of the desert came to see the king."

"Sire, I come not to tell you bad news, but rather to warn you in time, lest a vision that came to me in a dream should come true." he warns in a gentle older male voice for the seer.

He explains as himself "The King looked a little anxious, for he had heard all kinds of strange but true stories about wise men and women from the desert lands, and their wonderful powers."

"Speak then--what was your dream?" he asks in a powerful young male voice--his standard "king" voice.

"Sixteen years came and went before my eyes, and the son that has been born unto you grew more beautiful year by year. But at the close of the sixteenth year, he flew away!" he begins as the seer, proceeding to singlehandedly role play the conversation between the seer and the king:

"Flew away? How did he fly?"

"In the midst of the palace gardens, Moltres, the Herald of Fire, came to seek him or to be sought by him. He mounted on the back of this holy bird Pokemon; and then, as twilight fell, it carried him away to the west."

"With what purpose?"

"His fate is this: He is destined to marry Oriana, the Maiden of the Dawn, and he will fly westward in search of her in his sixteenth year, unless..."

"Yes, unless what?"

"Unless you yourself, sire, prevent him from going."

Some applause goes up at Brock's vocal dexterity. "From that day forward, the king regarded the seer's prediction with great anxiety." he continues as himself. "He watched the young prince, who had been named Dustin, constantly in his first years, and when he saw him gazing wistfully towards the west when the sun had set, he was reminded of the seer's words."

He continues as himself "As soon as Prince Dustin reached his sixteenth year, the king had him locked away in a high tower that stood in the palace gardens, and placed a guard at every way out, for he was determined to take no risk whatsoever. But, while he kept Prince Dustin a close prisoner, he surrounded him with every luxury, for he loved him dearly. He even promised him that, on his sixteenth birthday, a great festival would be held in his honor, though he himself would only be allowed to watch the festivities from the highest window of the tower. Prince Dustin begged his father to let him walk in the gardens on his birthday; but the king was so afraid that, by some means or another, he would be spirited away, that he refused. In addition to this, he double-locked and barred the topmost room of the tower, where Prince Dustin was imprisoned.

Angry murmurs waft through the room as Brock goes on "On the day of the festival, the sun rose brightly. As Prince Dustin watched it from his high window, his heart rose with it. By noon he had decided to defy his father and escape from his prison. He waited till sunset; then as the twilight came, he went to the window again and listened to the sounds of festivities in the city. He leaned out over the windowsill and looked down. It was a long way down, but the gardens were beautiful, and he was determined to reach them and roam free among the trees and flowers. It was his birthday, after all, the festivities were in his honor.

He intones "It seemed unfair that he be a prisoner in his room, when even the guards of his prison had gone to join the celebration. The city was a blaze of color, light, and sound; but the gardens below seemed to be deserted. This was his big chance to escape!"

He smiles "So how did Prince Dustin escape and fulfill the seer's prophecy? I will tell you more next week!"

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom