• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Live from the Fireside, Season 13 (Week 346h: The Enchanted Forest, part 8)

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
@Chimchar98; @The Jingster; @Tophat Dragoneye; @Soulmaster;

Brock and the gang are back for a thirteenth season of tales!

Week 322: The Legend of Soleil and Luna

(real tale: The Stalk of Flax)

Brock grins as he arrives onstage to meet the cheering crowd. Here's hoping this season will be a lucky thirteenth season!

When the applause quiets, he begins "Once upon a time, a beautiful child was born to a wealthy merchant and his wife, which they named Thalia, meaning "laughter". Not long after Thalia was born, her mother succumbed to a horrible disease, and so Thalia became the pride and joy of her father. He called all the village elders to come and bless his little girl. But when they did, one of the elders turned white as a Gastly."

Gasps go up as Brock intones as one of the elders "Trouble awaits her from a stalk of flax."

As himself, he continues "So the merchant forbade any flax inside the house, and ordered his servants to keep watch over his beloved daughter."

Intrigued murmurs waft through the rows as Brock goes on "One day, after Thalia had come of age, she was standing at her bedroom window when she spotted a woman spinning yarn. Thalia was mesmerized by the whirling and twisting of the thread, and called to the woman...

"Please come here so I can see what you are doing." he calls in a mimic of Serena for Thalia.

He continues as himself "The woman walked to the window and handed the distaff to Thalia. The moment Thalia pulled, a stalk of flax lodged under one of her fingernails, and she fell into a deep sleep."

Fearful murmurs waft through the auditorium as Brock continues Fearing his daughter had died, the merchant was overcome with grief. He wished never to remember this moment, so he closed up his estate and moved far away, leaving his daughter's body behind."

The murmurs turn angry as the audience wonders why someone would leave a body behind without giving it a proper burial. "A few days later, the prince of the village--we'll call him Lucas--was hunting when his Pidgeotto escaped from the hunting party and flew into an open window of the merchant's estate." Brock continues, quieting the whispers. "Of course, Prince Lucas and his men followed the Pidgeotto, but they could not lure the Pokemon outside, and so they knocked on the door."

He knocks on the stage floor for effect. "No one answered, so Prince Lucas peered inside the open window and saw that the place was abandoned, so he climbed inside." Brock continues. Soon he found the beautiful Thalia lying upon her bed. She looked as if she was asleep, and so the prince gently shook her arm and said...

"Wake up, miss. My Pidgeotto has decided to stay here." he coaxes an imagined person in a mimic of Ash for Prince Lucas.

As himself, he continues "She did not wake up, but eventually Prince Lucas' men captured the Pidgeotto. They departed, but when Prince Lucas returned home, he could not stop thinking about that sleeping beauty. He began to walk through the palace in a trance."

"Aw"s fill the air as the Firelights play a brief romantic interlude.

"A few days later, a pair of twin girls--fraternal twins--who had no family walked past the abandoned estate, and when they saw an open window, they decided to climb inside. They, too, found Thalia." Brock continues. "At first, they were afraid to go near her. But one of the girls, who had beautiful blond hair, reached out and squeezed her hand. When she did, the flax splinter popped out, and Thalia woke from her deep sleep."

Cheers go up at this. "When she saw the children standing beside her, Thalia felt as if they were her own children." Brock grins. "She asked them if they wanted to live with her, and they agreed. Thalia named the blonde haired girl Soleil, meaning "sun" and her black haired sister Luna, meaning "moon". Magically, from that day on, whenever any of them wished for something -- food or drink or anything else -- it magically appeared."

"Wow"s and awed murmurs waft through the room at this. "Some time passed, and finally Prince Lucas decided that he had to see the sleeping beauty again." Brock continues. "When he reached the estate and found her awake with two beautiful children with her, he said...

"I must take care of you. Let us be friends. Whenever you need anything, call me." he requests as Prince Lucas.

As himself, Brock continues "Prince Lucas returned to his palace, but could not stop thinking of Thalia, Soleil, and Luna, and so he walked through the palace repeating their names so he would not forget them."

He intones "His stepmother, the queen, finally had enough. She was a jealous woman, and she could not bear the thought of her stepson loving anyone more than her. So she commanded her chief advisor to find the woman and children who had enchanted her stepson, and find out all he could about them So the advisor traveled to the estate and spoke with Thalia and the children. When he returned to the queen, the advisor told her of their beauty -- physically and spiritually. They were, he said, the sort of people everyone would love."

The Firelights play a tense stinger as Brock reveals the queen's plot to the audience. "The stepmother ordered the advisor to bring these people to her so she could kill them. When he heard this, the advisor was shaken at the thought of killing innocent people who had done nothing wrong. He and the royal cook conspired to hide the children, but would bring Thalia to the queen."

Gasps go up from the crowd, but Brock isn't done describing the evil queen's scheme. "Thalia agreed to leave Soleil and Luna to meet with the queen. When the adviser and the cook brought Thalia before the queen, they told the evil woman that the children had died. The queen was glad to hear the children were gone, and now it was time to destroy Thalia."

Boos fill the air--not for Brock, but for the evil plot he is describing. "The queen condemned her to die by burning, but moments before Thalia could undress, the royal cook suddenly appeared with Soleil and Luna, who rushed to Thalia's side." Brock's voice quiets the boos. "He told Prince Lucas the queen's entire plot from start to finish, and how she was about to execute an innocent woman. Horrified and angered, Prince Lucas ordered the queen thrown in the dungeon for the night."

He concludes over a victorious melody "The next day, he banished his evil stepmother to wander the world, never to return on pain of death, as punishment for her jealousy and cruelty. He married Thalia, and together they reigned for a long time, raising Soleil and Luna as their own daughters."

Relieved cheers fill the air as Brock and the Firelights take a bow...

• Staff

Week 323: The Knife Spirit

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan", episode 230, story 2)

"In a certain village in the mountains lived a man named Haru, who made his keep picking herbs to sell in town." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "At the edge of the village stood a beautiful lake, but people were afraid to swim, fish, or sail there because rumors told of a giant Arbok that ate people which lived within its waters. Haru, meanwhile, paid no mind to these rumors, and often came to the lake to pick the herbs that grew on its banks or go fishing."

Intrigued murmurs fill the air as Brock goes on "One day, as Haru was resting by the lakeside, the Arbok emerged for the water in search of prey. But minutes before it could try to eat Haru, he sang in his sleep an old incantation for magic seen in bedtime stories...

He then proceeds to sing Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... to excited whispers from the children present.

Brock then reveals what the spell did. "The knife at Haru's side glowed, and the spirit of a great hero emerged before the Arbok. Seeing the warrior spirit's holy sword convinced the Arbok to look for prey elsewhere."

"Oh"s go up at this. "What Haru didn't know, aside from being in danger moments before, was that an acquaintance of his named Kenji, who lived in a nearby village, had seen the whole thing from the bushes." Brock explains. "Kenji wondered how the warrior spirit had gotten into Haru's knife, and where he too could get such a knife."

Tense murmurs waft down the rows as Brock continues "One night, Kenji paid a visit to Haru, and Kenji asked about the knife. Haru explained that he had found it on a mountain path one day, and decided to keep it as his own when no one had come forward to claim it. Kenji first offered gold for the knife, but Haru only agreed to trade for food, since herb picking didn't consistently pay well. So Kenji offered his friend ten barrels of rice for the knife, and Haru agreed."

He intones "But then something strange happened--Haru did not return from the mountain as he had before. Fearing the worst, search parties were sent out in every direction. Eventually one party came to the lake, where they found Haru's basket, and remembered what had happened the previous night." Kenji confessed everything, and feared that the Arbok had eaten Haru because of him. But no one believed the knife had the spirit of a great warrior inside it.

He continues "So Kenji led the villagers to the lake, and when the Arbok appeared, Kenji invoked the knife...

Brock next sings Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... again, before continuing "Sure enough, the warrior spirit appeared, which bought the other villagers enough time to kill the Arbok."

Relieved applause goes up as Brock concludes "The villagers put up a shrine to Haru's memory by the lakeside, and laid the holy dagger inside. People came from far and wide to visit, and people still visit it today."

The applause intensifies as Brock takes a bow...

Last edited:
  • Staff

Week 324a: The Four Gifts, part 1

(real tale: The Flying Carpet, the Invisible Cap, the Gold-Giving Ring and the Smiting Club)

"In a cottage near a dusty road, and close to the shores of a large lake, there once lived a widow--whose name is not important to us." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "Although she was poor, she had a far better treasure than gold and jewels--her son Liam, who was the joy of her life. He was a handsome lad with an honest soul; who earned his living by fishing in the lake, and did so well that neither he nor his mother ever went hungry.”

"Wow"s fill the air at this. "One evening, around sunset, Liam went down to the lake to cast his nets, and managed to catch two small Goldeens--just enough to feed him and his mother." Brock continues "As he started down the path towards home, he met an old beggar by the road, who asked him for food. Liam felt sorry for the old man, and told him that if he brought the two Goldeens to his house, he would give him a place at his table and a bed for the night.”

He grins. "Imagine Liam's surprise when the old man melted into the rays of the setting sun and vanished with the fish. For a moment Liam was scared, but something told him that he had nothing to fear. He went to draw in his nets by the moonlight, and nearly did a double take when he found a shining Golden inside!"

More awed murmurs and whispers waft through the auditorium as Brock continues "When he had spread his nets on the shore, the Goldeen spoke to him in the words of humans."

“Do not kill me, young fisherman,” he requests in a mimic of Misty for the Goldeen. “but accept in exchange for my life this sapphire ring. Every time you put it on your finger sing the song 'Rou iitsa ron selga vichii' and a shower of gold pieces will fall.”

As himself, Brock went on "Liam gladly accepted the ring, and after freeing the shining Goldeen from the net, he threw it back into the water. As it fell, it shone in the air like a shooting star and then disappeared beneath the waves. On his way back he knew that with the miracle ring, better days were in store, but there was the matter of feeding them for the night."

He continues "The first thing he saw when he opened the door was the table covered with a white cloth, with the fish and a number of side dishes freshly made.

“Where did you get those fish from, mother?” he asks in a mimic of Ash for Liam.

“I do not know myself for I have neither cleaned them nor cooked them." he replies in a mimic of Delia for the mother. "Our table spread itself, the fish placed themselves on it, and although they have been there for an hour, they have not gotten cold."

As himself, he continues "And so they sat down, said grace, and after eating as much as they wanted, went to bed for the night. The next morning, Liam made a sign of Arceus in the air--just in case the Goldeen's song was evil magic--put on the ring, and sang the song the Goldeen taught him..."

He pauses to sing as Ash Rou iitsa ron selga vichii.... before continuing as himself "...and the sapphire in the ring glowed, and a deluge of gold pieces came raining in the room, almost covering the floor. The rattling of coins woke his mother, who gasped when she saw what had happened.

“What is the meaning of this, my son?" he gasps as the mother. "Am I awake or dreaming? Or is it the work of Darkrai? Where did all this money come from?”

“Fear not, mother--this no deception, but a blessing from heaven." he explains as Liam. "I have my work, so that you shall never want, and I have your heart, where there will ever be love to sweeten the disappointments and troubles of life. The gold that you see will provide for us, and enable us to help others. Take them, lock them up somewhere safe, and only use them when in need. As for me, I am going on a journey of fortune.”

“Why? Where are you going?” he pleads as the mother, singlehandedly performing the conversation between Liam and his mother using just his voice:

“I want to go to see the capital city. When there, I plan to enroll myself in the royal army. And so the world will know of the fisherman turned soldier who was the defender of his king, for the glory of his country and his mother.”

“I have heard rumors about the king being in danger, and that our enemies are trying to take his crown from him. But why would you go? What difference can one person make?"

“You are right, one person alone is a small thing, but by adding one grain to another the measure overflows. If all those who are capable of bearing arms helps the king, there is no doubt that he will soon overcome his foes.”

“But a humble fisherman like you! Of what use can you be in battle?”

“The fisherman has a peaceful disposition, I know, and he never boasts of his strength. But when the right moment comes he knows how to handle a sword, and how to water the land with the enemy’s blood. And the victorious king will, perhaps, reward me for my bravery by giving me some castle, or a few acres of land, a suit of armor and a Ponyta, or even the hand of his daughter in marriage.”

“If you this is what you want to do, then go, and may Arceus bless you. May He cover you, dear child, with His grace like a great shield, so that neither spells, arrows, nor swords will do you harm. May He take you under His protection, so that you may return safely to me, if it is His will.”

Some applause goes up at Brock's vocal dexterity. "And so, with his mother's blessing, Liam left home early the next morning."

He concludes "What adventures awaited Liam? I will tell you more next week!"

"Aw"s and applause fill the room as Brock takes a bow...

• Staff

Week 324b: The Four Gifts, part 2

(real tale: The Flying Carpet, the Invisible Cap, the Gold-Giving Ring and the Smiting Club)

"And so, after a few days of uneventful travel, Liam reached the capital, thinking about how he might best help the king." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "The town was surrounded by a countless number of soldiers who threatened to utterly destroy it unless the king agreed to pay a very high price."

Gasps fill the air as Brock intones "The people crowded into the square, and stood before the palace gates listening to the herald’s proclamation."

After taking a deep breath, he proclaims in character as the herald “Hear ye, all ye faithful subjects, to the words your lord and king speaks to you by my mouth. Our enemies, who have scattered our troops, have come to besiege the capital of our kingdom. If we do not send them, by dawn tomorrow, twenty-four wagons, each drawn by six Ponytas and loaded with gold, they will take the city and destroy it by fire and sword, and deliver our land to their own. We cannot hold out much longer, and our royal treasury does not contain even half the amount demanded. Therefore, through me our lord and king announces, that whoever among you can either defeat our foes, or provide the money needed for the ransom, will be named heir to the throne, and receive his only daughter Princess Ariana in marriage, a lady of marvelous beauty. Furthermore, he will also receive half the kingdom for his own, and the whole of it when he ascends to the throne.”

Excited whispers and applause fill the room at Brock's powerful character voice. "When Liam heard these words, he went to the king and said..." he narrates as himself.

“Milord, command that twenty four wagons, each harnessed with twenty four Ponytas and provided with leather bags, be brought into the courtyard; I will fill them with gold, before your very eyes.” he requests as Liam.

He narrates as himself "Then he left the palace, and standing in the middle of the large square, sang the words the Goldeen had taught him."

After singing as Liam Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... he continues as himself "As the last notes echoed into the sky, showers of gold came raining down. In a matter of minutes the square was covered with a layer of gold so thick that, after loading the twenty four wagons and filling the royal treasury several times over, there was enough left to provide for every resident of the capital for a year."

"Wow"s and awed whistles fill the air. "It goes without saying that the enemy soldiers returned to their own land soon afterwards." Brock adds as an aside.

Giggles of agreement fill the auditorium as Brock continues "The king summoned Liam, and said to him...

In his standard "king" voice, he tells an imagined person “You have saved us all from a great calamity, and will therefore receive the reward which was promised. My daughter Ariana, a princess of great beauty, will be your bride, and I will give you half of my kingdom for a wedding present. I also appoint you my heir to the throne. But tell me, to whom am I indebted? What kingdom or land belongs to you? How is it that by a mere wave of the hand you were able to supply my enemies with so much gold?”

“Sire, I belong to no royal or noble family, I am only a humble fisherman and your loyal subject. I procure my gold by means of this magic ring, and at any time I can have as much as I want.” he explains as Liam

As himself, he continues "Then he told the king how his good fortune had come to him. The king said nothing, but it hurt his royal pride to think that he owed his safety to one of his own subjects, and that he had promised to make him his son-in-law."

He intones "That evening, after a grand meal, Liam asked the king to present him to his bride. The king whispered something to the lord high chamberlain, and then departed. The lord high chamberlain took Liam to the top of the castle tower, and said to him..."

In a mimic of James for the lord high chamberlain, he explains “According to the customs of the court you should, before being introduced to the princess, send her by my hands some valuable jewel as a wedding gift.”

“But I have nothing of value or beauty with me, unless you offer Princess Ariana this sapphire ring, to which I owe all my good fortune, the lady Ariana herself, and the safety of her father.” he explains as Liam.

As himself, he reveals the twist in his tale. "The chamberlain took the ring, and opening the window of the tower, pushed Liam out of it, sending him falling down...down...down..."

He assures the frightened audience "But we'd have a riot if Liam died now, right?"

Nervous but relieved giggles fill the room as Brock concludes "Arceus had other plans for Liam, so I will tell you more of what happened next week!"

Laughter and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow....

• Staff

Week 324c: The Four Gifts, part 3

Murmurs of interest fill the auditorium as Brock arrives onstage, eager to know what happened to Liam. "Thankfully,Liam did not land on the rocks as the lord high chamberlain had hoped but on the water." Brock begins, to relieved sighs. "Although the force of the impact still knocked the wind out of him."

He continues. "When he came to, he found he was laying in a boat, which was leaving the mouth of the river and entering the open sea. A smile formed on his face when he saw Arceus, in the form of the old man he had helped before, was guiding the vessel."

“Milord, is it really you? How did you manage to save me?” he gasps as Liam.

“I came to your aid because he who helps others deserves their help in return." he explains as Arceus. "For now, take the oar and you can go to any place you wish.”

As himself, he went on "With that, Arceus disappeared. Liam whispered a prayer of thanks, and set sail for the royal palace. When the sun rose, he saw some nets in the boat, and throwing them into the water caught some Magikarp, which he sold in a town near the shore, and then continued his journey on foot."

"Mm"s fill the air as the audience imagines fresh Magikarp. "Some months later, when crossing an open field, he heard cries for help, which came from a hill near the forest." Brock's voice quiets the chatter. "When he went to get a closer look, he found two demons arguing with each other, to the point where it nearly got physical."

“Why do you fight like this?" he asks as Liam.

“For many a long year we have both been working hard to tempt someone who lives here." he explains a high pitched nasaly voice for the demon. "He was first tempted by the desire to learn the magic of the underworld, and became a renowned sorceror. After giving him time to commit a great many crimes and forfeit his soul, we handed him over to safe keeping. Now we want to divide his property between us. He left three things, which by right belong to us, even though we cannot use them due to the holy magic within them. The first is a wonderful carpet. Whoever sits on it, and sings the holy magical song 'Karuto, iichida shou...', will be carried away over forests and under clouds, never stopping until their destination is reached.

The second treasure is that sword lying on the grass. After singing the holy song 'Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...', the sword will fire a beam of light so powerful, that even our king Darkrai would be crushed to pieces or dispersed. The third treasure is a cap of invisibility. Now do you see our problem? There are only two of us, and we wish to decide how these three items may be divided among two.”

“I can help you provided you do as I tell you." he offers as Liam. "Leave the three treasures just as they are. I will roll a stone from the top of this hill to the bottom—whoever catches it first will have two of the three, and the other receives what is left. Is this fair?”

As himself, he went on "The demons agreed that Liam's proposal was fair, and raced after the stone that rolled and bounded on its way down. Meanwhile, Liam quickly put on the cap of invisibility, grabbed the sword, and sat down on the carpet, singing the magical song without forgetting a single word."

He sings as Liam Karuto, iichiida shou... for effect.

He assures the audience "Luckily, the demons had no clue they had been had...but what other adventures awaited Liam? I will tell you more next week!"

Last edited:
  • Staff

Week 324d: The Four Gifts, part 4

Brock arrives onstage, and immediately picks up where he left off. "Liam invoked the magic carpet...

After pausing to sing Karuto, iichiida shou... as Liam, he continues as himself "...he flew over forests, under clouds, and so high that they looked like a tiny shimmering white speck in the sky to anyone looking up from below."

"Wow"s and awed whistles fill the auditorium as Brock goes on "In about two or three days they landed in the capital. The whole place was in chaos, for the commander of the foreign army from before, encouraged by having so easily received such a large sum of money, had returned to attack again, and once again held the city hostage, threatening to destroy every house and kill all the inhabitants, not sparing even the king himself, unless he agreed to give him his only daughter, Princess Ariana, in marriage."

Gasps fill the room as Brock continues "The terrified citizens crowded into the palace and begged his majesty to do what their enemy requested, and save them from such a fate. The king, standing on the balcony, told the crowds the following...."

In character as the king, he intones from a dim spotlight “Faithful and devoted people, listen to me. Nothing but a miracle can save us from this fearful calamity; yet it has happened that the most powerful assailants have been forced to ask mercy of the most feeble. I will never consent to the marriage of my daughter Ariana with my most hated and cruel foe. Within moments, my army will be ready for battle, and I myself will lead them against the enemy. If there be any among you who can win the battle, that person will receive Ariana's hand in marriage, half of my kingdom as a wedding gift, and be named heir to the throne.”

As himself, he continues "No sooner were the words out of the king's mouth did Liam invoke the sword..."

He pauses to sing Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... as Liam before continuing as himself "...and the flashes of light and screams of the terrified enemy army could be heard and seen at least five hundred miles away. When the sword had destroyed or driven away all the troops, it returned to its master's side; and Liam, still wearing the cap of invisibility, made his way to the throne room, where he revealed himself to his lord."

"This is the second time that I have been promised the hand of Princess Ariana in marriage, half the kingdom, and the right of succession to the throne.” he reminds the crowd as Liam.

“By what happy fortune do you return safe and sound to my court?" he asks as the king. "The chamberlain told me that through your own carelessness you had fallen out of the tower window; and in all honesty, we presumed you dead.”

“I would not have fallen out the window if I had not been thrown down by your own chamberlain." he explains as Liam. I only escaped death through Arceus' holy protection, by way of a magic carpet." he explains as Liam.

As himself, Brock explains. "The king was beyond angry that Liam had managed to escape, but he put on a grand show of ordering the guards to take him to the dungeon. As he embraced Liam, and led him to his own apartments, he was thinking all the while about what he could do to get rid of him. The idea of having him, a mere peasant and one of his own subjects, for a son-in-law was inconceivable, and hurt his royal pride."

As the king, he tells an imagined person “Rest assured, the chamberlain will be punished for his crime. As for you, who have twice been my hero, you will be my son-in-law. Custom demands that you send your bride a token of your love.”

“I have no jewel worthy of the princess’s acceptance." he explains as Liam. "I might have given her as much gold as she wished, but your chamberlain took my magic ring from me.”

"Why don't we use your magic carpet to travel to the Valley of Diamonds? There we can obtain stones that can be found nowhere else.”

He then reveals the king's plot. "Liam agreed, and before long, they came to a valley surrounded on all sides by rocks so steep, it was a miracle anyone could go in, much less come out. The ground glittered with diamonds of many colors, but it was here that Liam was unceremoniously pushed onto the ground as the carpet flew low. All he could do was watch as the carpet vanished in the distance."

Angry murmurs waft through the room as Brock continues "Wounded at the ingratitude and indignance of a king for whom he had done so much, he burst into tears. He had every reason to cry, for he had only to look at the enormous height of the polished rocks to be reminded of his predicament. The vegetation, too, was so sparse, it could only provide him with food for a very short time."

He intones "He had two options: die from starvation, or be devoured by the Arboks that crawled about. On top of that night was falling, and Liam was forced to plan some way of escaping the powerful snake Pokemon that were coming out for the night. So he climbed up a tree, the highest he could find, and there, with his cap of invisibility and his sword at his side, spent the night without even closing his eyes."

Brock pauses for a moment to savor the enthralled looks on his audience's faces. "Liam did make it out of the Valley of Diamonds, but it was out of the frying pan, and into the fire of his biggest adventure yet. I will tell you what that entailed next week!"

• Staff

Week 324e: The Four Gifts, part 5

Excited whispers fill the air as Brock arrives with his harp. "I don't need this right away, but it does play a role in our tale's exciting conclusion." he explains as he sets the harp and the box containing his fingerpicks in the wings.

With that, he begins "Just when it looked like the end for Liam, Arceus, in the form of an old man, appeared on the top of a steep rock, and carefully carried Liam to safety."

“Now that you are free again, you must hurry to save your king, his daughter your bride, and their kingdom." he warns as Arceus. "After he had left you to die at the fangs of the Arboks, he was punished for his crimes by the return of his foe, who yet again laid siege to the capital. This happened at the very moment he was surrounded by his guests, and was boasting about the magic carpet, the magic sapphire ring, and the rest of his riches, which he acquired by less than honest means."

He then reveals the major twist in the tale in character as Arceus.“His foes had enlisted the services of Darkrai, the Nightmare Pokemon, who promised his help in capturing Princess Ariana. When he came, he fell in love with the lady at first sight, and decided to marry her himself. In order for this to come to pass, he put the king, the courtiers, and all the resident of the land under a spell of sleeping. Then he took Princess Ariana to his own palace, where she has been locked away and mistreated because she refuses to have anything to do with him. His castle sits at the very end of the world, to the west. There is nothing stopping you from taking back your carpet and ring, they are hidden in the king’s treasury. Then go with your cap and sword, and defeat Darkrai, rescue Princess Ariana, and deliver the king and his subjects.”

Excited whispers fill the room as Brock continues as himself "With that, Arceus returned to heaven, saying he was only a prayer away if Liam needed help. Liam thanked Arceus for his help, put on his cap of invisibility, and taking his sword, made his way towards the capital. Liam had no trouble finding the magic ring and carpet, then made his way to Darkrai's castle."

The lights dim a little as Brock continues "After some days of travel he landed in Darkrai’s courtyard. He folded up his carpet, put the cap of invisibility on his head, and with sword in hand, he entered Darkrai’s room. There, to his astonishment, stood the Nightmare Pokemon himself, admiring the wondrous beauty of Princess Ariana. She was perfectly beautiful; no eye had never seen nor ear had ever heard of such loveliness. With a low bow full of pride and an ironic smile he said to her...

“Beautiful princess, you have sworn a solemn oath to marry no one but the one who can solve your six riddles." he sneers in character as Darkrai, to boos from the children in the audience. "It is in vain that I strive to guess them. You have two options: consent to be my wife; or face my anger, which you will bitterly regret. You have three minutes to decide.”

He narrates as himself "When he heard these threats, Liam trembled with rage, and almost whispered the magic song to his sword."

Giggles fill the air as Brock literally whispers "Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul..." to an imagined object. "The sword did not wait to be told twice, but fired a single beam of rainbow light at Darkrai's forehead. Stunned for a moment by the light, the Nightmare Pokemon fell to the ground. Sparks like fireworks sprang from his eyes, and it felt like a ten ton weight had hit his head. Any ordinary being would have died right there, but Darkrai being Darkrai, he was immortal, and could survive killing blows many times over."

Tense murmurs filled the air. "He quickly pulled himself together, and tried to find out who--or what--had attacked him." Brock explains. "Then the sword hit him again, and it to Darkrai as if showers of boiling water were being poured on him. He writhed on the floor in pain, and wished very much to return to the underworld, and never bother mortals again."

He intones "At last, in a fit of rage, he cast a spell of sleeping on Princess Ariana, putting her into a deep sleep. Darkrai, meanwhile, returned to the underworld in a purple puff of smoke. Liam, still invisible, carried Princess Ariana into the courtyard of the castle, hoping that the fresh air might restore her to life. He laid her on the grass, his heart punding with hope and fear, and waited. Some moments later, a Honckrow and her Murkrows, attracted by the sight of what they believed to be a dead body, and not being able to see Liam, came that way."

In character as a Monckrow, he calls “Come, little ones, sharpen claws and beak, gaa-gaa.
Here’s a feast not far to seek, gaa gaa"

As himself, Brock narrates "Just as one Murkrow landed on Princess Ariana, but Liam grabbed it and took off his cap, so that he could be seen."

He then pleads as the Honckrow “Let go of my hatchling, and I will give you anything you want.”

“Then bring me some of the Water of Life.” he requests as Liam.

He continues as himself "The Honckrow flew away and returned an hour later, carrying in his beak a tiny bottle of the water. After releasing the Murkrow, he sprinkled the Water of Life on Princess Ariana's face.

“Where am I? Why was I sleeping here?” he asks in a mimic of Serena for Princess Ariana.

“Milady, if I had not intervened, your sleep might have lasted forever.” he explains as Liam.

He interjects as himself "Then he told her his story, how he had been thrown into the river, abandoned in the Valley of Diamonds, and everything else that had happened, sparing no details and mincing no words."

As Princess Ariana, he explains “In the garden behind the palace is a Leppa Berry tree that bears crystal fruit. A harp that plays by itself hangs on its branches, and is guarded day and night by four demons. The music from this harp has the wonderful power of restoring health to the living, the dead to live again, and happiness to those who are sad. What is ugly becomes beautiful, and any evil spells are broken forever.”

As himself, he continues "Liam put on his cap of invisibility and went into the garden in search of the demons. Before approaching them, he sang to his sapphire ring..."

He pauses to sing as Liam Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... before continuing as himself "...and in seconds a shower of gold covered the ground. The demons, excited to see such wealth, eagerly jumped in the lake of gold. While they were occupied swimming in the coins and jewels, Liam took down the harp from the branches and hurried off into the courtyard with it.

The audience watches as Brock retrieves his own harp, quickly puts on the fingerpicks, then continues "There he unfolded his magic carpet, and took off with his other treasures and Princess Ariana in tow. They floated across the blue sky, above the deep forests and under the clouds, and in a few days arrived at the palace. There they landed, but the people were still in an enchanted sleep. Liam stood with Princess Ariana at his side in the banquet hall where the king and his guests slept. Taking the magic harp from Princess Ariana, he sang the following words..."

He sings Seios, higarima laisido... as Liam before playing "The Fairy's Waltz" for effect. "When the first notes of music burst forth everything began to move again, like someone had hit the PLAY button on a paused movie." he narrates as he plays.

Some applause fills the auditorium when the song ends. "When the king saw his daughter leaning on Liam's arm, he could hardly believe his eyes, and it made him angry." Brock intones as the applause quiets, to gasps from the crowd--is Liam about to go on another adventure? "But Princess Ariana ran to him, and throwing herself in his arms, told her father all that Liam had done. The king’s heart softened, and he felt ashamed. With tears in his eyes he bid Liam to come before him, and before all that were present, thanked him for saving his life a third time.

He then proceeds to vocally roleplay the scene between the king, Princess Ariana, and Liam. “Arceus has punished me for my mistreatment of you, and yet he is generous and forgives; I will fulfill all your wishes. The wedding will be held today, without question."

“I cannot, however, break my word. While I was held prisoner in Darkrai’s palace, I made a vow to give my hand only to the one who guessed the six riddles I put to him. I am sure the heroic man, who has done so much, will not refuse to submit to this last trial for my sake.”

"I do, milady. Ask your riddles, and I will answer."

“Without legs it walks. Without arms it strikes. Without life it moves continually.”

“A clock,”

“Without being either bird, reptile, insect, or any Pokemon whatsoever, it ensures the safety of the whole house.”

“A bolt,”

‘Who is that who walks fully armed, seasons dishes, and in his sides has two darts? He swims across the water without the help of a boatman.’”

“A Crawdaunt.”

“It runs, it moves along on two sides, it has but one eye, an overcoat of polished steel, and a tail of thread.”

“A needle.”

"‘It walks without feet, beckons without hands, and moves without a body.”

“A shadow.”

"It has four feet, but is not a beast. It has feathers and down, but is no bird. It has a body, and gives warmth, but is not alive.’”

“A bed,”

He concludes over a regal melody "Stunned by Liam's wisdom, Princess Ariana gave him her hand. They both knelt at the king’s feet and received his blessing, and a large wedding party accompanied them to the shrine. At the same time messengers were sent to bring Liam's mother to the palace. The wonderful harp played the sweetest music at the wedding feast, while the old king ate and drank and enjoyed himself, and danced more joyfully than all the other guests. He treated his guests with so much kindness and generosity that even to this day, the happiness of those who were present is still fondly remembered. And so it was that a humble fisherman married the most beautiful princess in the world, and received half the kingdom and the right of succession to the throne."

When the song ends, Brock sets the harp aside and takes a bow...

Last edited:
  • Staff

Week 325: The Mirror and the Bell

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 228, story 2)

"Long ago in the mountains of Kanto, there stood a temple where many priests and mikos trained in the spiritual arts." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "One day, they decided to build a small shrine for the people to use on the temple grounds. So they decided to raise money in the villages and towns in the area, and also asked the townsfolk to donate their old mirrors, in hopes the metal would be melted down to make a bell for the shrine."

He continues "Meanwhile, in one particular village, a girl named Hikari was stunned at the request for old mirrors--she owned an old mirror that had been in the family for years, and had been passed down to her. She shuddered at the thought of having a family heirloom be melted down, but her father scolded her for being selfish."

Angry murmurs fill the room as Brock continues "That night, Hikari's father donated the mirror to the shrine effort as Hikari slept. When Hikari found out what had happened, she hurried to the temple and pleaded for her mirror's return, but the priest told her they could not return any donated mirrors. However, as the mirrors were melted down, Hikari's mirror miraculously survived the fire, no matter how hot they heated the cauldron!"

Stunned whispers race down the rows of seats as Brock continues "Before long, word of the miraculous mirror spread through the village like wildfire. Some said that the mirror surviving the fire was proof of a family's love, while others said it was because of the family's supposed lack of piety. Hikari heard the rumors her mirror had survived the fire, and ran into the night, where she was never seen again."

The chatter in the auditorium quiets at the sobering turn of events "Some days later, the priest found a note by the river in Hikari's writing." Brock explains. "It read that if people said that the mirror not melting meant she was unfaithful, then she would give her life in the mirror's place. The note went on to ask why a family heirloom, and with it the love and memories it represented, was being lost to build something that would ultimately wear down and become useless. It concluded that when the bell finally shattered, only then would her family and its heirloom be avenged, and she be at peace."

He continues "Before long the shrine and the bell were finished, but every once in a while, people who knew the legend of the girl who had given her life for a treasured mirror would sneak onto the grounds and try to break it. One night a fierce storm rolled in, and as the priests watched in awe and in terror, hail battered the bell from every side, ultimately shattering it!"

Some light applause goes up at this. "The next morning, the priests realized that the previous night's storm was a warning from Arceus, and prayed for forgiveness over breaking a young girl's heart." Brock explains. "They vowed to never put up another bell, in remembrance of Hikari."

He concludes "The shrine still stands today, and if you walk up there on a clear night and listen hard enough, you can hear Hikari's laughter echoing from the hills, glad to finally be at peace from the wrong done to her as she lived."

"Aw"s and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow...

• Staff

Week 326: The Harpist Princess

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 230, story 3)

Intrigued murmurs fill the auditorium as Brock arrives carrying his harp. "Long ago in Shinou, a boy was walking along the coast one day, when he discovered a shipwreck that had washed ashore." he begins. "When the boy, whose name was Kaitou, went to explore the ship, he found a young lady sleeping on the deck, an ornate harp by her side." He gestures to his own instrument for effect.

He explains to his audience "Now, at the time our story takes place, the Wave Guider and his Lucario had just ended the Red and Green War, but as the war raged, many of the women and children had fled to other lands. So it was no surprise that this lady had washed up on the Shinou coast."

"Oh"s fill the air as Brock continues "The lady woke up just as Kaitou and his mom arrived. Kaitou's mom told her where she was, but the lady's first question was where her harp had gotten to. She was relieved when Kaitou told her it was right where she had left it. Kaitou and his mom nursed the girl, whose name was Vina, back to health, and before long, she was pitching in around the house."

He readies his own harp to play as he continues "But she would always travel to the coast every afternoon and play her harp to the sea, in memory of the father she had left behind."

With that, Brock plays "The Prayer to the Sea" for effect. "Vina's father was himself a master harpist, and had taught Vina how to play as well. It was not long before Vina herself became a master harpist. Her mother had died when Vina was very little, and she and her father used the harp's healing music to ease their aching hearts."

Brock next plays an elegant waltz for effect. "One day, Kaitou noticed that Vina would play the same tune--"The Prayer to the Sea"--and then burst into tears. When he asked what was wrong, Vina explained that her father had fought in the war, and she was to flee somewhere safe. She added that she missed him, and hoped he was alive somewhere. Then she told Kaitou that her father had made her harp just for her, and that she had played countless tunes on it, both from her homeland and elsewhere. Kaitou assured Vina that if she played hard enough, her father would hear her song, wherever he was. So Vina played for Kaitou and the other villagers every day--both songs from her homeland, and songs that they likely knew."

Brock notices the children in the audience smiling as he plays "The Beautifly" for effect. "One day, Vina got very sick, and the entire village worked in shifts to give her food and medicine. On one stormy night, Kaitou arrived with food, and Vina explained that if she succumbed to her illness, to lay her harp by her grave."

He sighs as he softly plucks out a soft lament. "After clinging to life through the night, Vina succumbed the next morning. True to her last request, the villagers buried her at the place where she loved to perform, and laid her harp by the grave."

He concludes "Vina's grave and her harp still remain at that place even today, and when the wind blows just right, the harp will still play "The Prayer to the Sea", in remembrance of its owner."

"Aw"s and applause fill the air as Brock sets the harp aside and takes a bow...

Week 327: The Legend of Alex Harlow and Kitty

(real tale: Dick Whittington and Puss)

"I'm sure you've all seen the statue of Pewter City's legendary mayor, Alex Harlow, in the town square--but have you wondered why there is a Persian statue next to the one of Alex?" Brock asks the crowd as he arrives onstage.

Intrigued murmurs fill the room as a spotlight appears on a chair, where Brock's guitar is waiting nearby. "To answer that question, we have to go back about 150 years ago, when Pewter City wasn't quite as big as it was today, but still a respectable size." Brock explains as he settles in and starts a relaxed melody.

He begins "Alex was born in a small town far away from Pewter, and lost his parents when he was very little. He wandered from village to village, begging for food and shelter. When a family took him in for a day, a week or even a month, Alex listened to the stories they told, and he began to dream. The people spoke of what is today Pewter City, of streets paved with gold, and ladies and gentlemen dressed in fine clothes, their wallets bursting with money. They spoke of all the opportunities anyone could have in the city. After a while, Alex decided to try his fortune there. Surely, if the stories were true, he would have success!"

"Wow"s fill the air as Brock continues over a "traveling" melody "And so one day he hitched a ride on a coach headed for Pewter."

After playing some more of the song, it starts to slow into a somber melody. "But when he got there, Alex found that the streets weren't paved with gold after all, and although some people looked well off, others looked very much like the people he knew, but some of the city folk teased him about his dirty hands and face." Brock explains. "For days he wandered the city asking for food and shelter, but no one even looked at him. This wasn't a beautiful city, after all; it was a cold, hard place."

The murmurs turn angry as Brock goes on "One day he knocked on the door to a beautiful home to ask for work. To his delight, the person who answered was friendly, and offered Alex a job pitching in around the kitchen. Alex should have been the happiest person in the world, but the cook was not very nice. She sent him to sleep in the attic, in a room that was full of Rattatas and inquisitive Pichus." Some giggles go up as Brock plays a little trill on an E chord to mimic a Rattata running.

"When his employer paid him, Alex decided to use his money to buy a Meowth to chase away the Rattatas and Pichus--otherwise he'd never get a good night's sleep." Brock explains. "So he bought a Meowth and simply named her Kitty, and snuck her into his room in the attic. He knew well that if the cook found out, she'd kick them both out into the city streets. Kitty turned out to be a fine hunter, and soon Alex and Kitty were sleeping peacefully, with no Rattatas or Pichus anywhere in sight."

"Aw"s fill the air at this. "Many months passed, until one day Alex's boss called all the servants together to tell them he would soon set sail for an exotic land far to the east." Brock goes on. "Now, in those days it was the custom for servants to offer a gift for each ship that set sail. This way, each servant could send something without paying either custom or freight, and the ship owners thought they would be blessed if they allowed the poor to share in their good fortune."

"Oh"s go up at this. "One by one the servants offered their gifts, but when it was Alex's turn, he blushed with shame--all he had was Kitty." Brock intones. "He was heartbroken at having to say good bye to Kitty, but he had no choice in the matter. As he handed over the little Meowth, he had tears in his eyes. He would miss his good friend, and now he would be bothered by the Rattatas and Pichus again."

He starts a sad interlude. "So the merchant set sail with all his gifts, including Kitty. But the other servants teased Alex for sending a Meowth to sea. After a few days of this, Alex couldn't stand their taunting and teasing anymore. He packed what little clothes and belongings he owned, and left to find a better place to live."

Suddenly, he stops the sad melody. "After he had walked a long way, he sat down on the steps of a temple to rest, and suddenly the temple bells struck six o'clock at night." He plays a harmonic D chord that mimics a bell for effect.

He explains over the six "chimes" "True, he was hungry and tired, but he was sure those bells were singing to him, singing a song about Alex Harlow, the future mayor of Pewter City who would bring what is today Kanto into the modern age."

As the last "chime" fades away, Brock assures his audience "This gave Alex the will to return to the house."

He starts a melody evoking an island as he continues "Meanwhile, the merchant's ship was caught in a storm and lost its way at sea. Finally, the sailors saw land and sailed to the coast of what is today the Alolan region. There the native Alolans greeted the exhausted crew, and the merchant began to show them his wares. The chief was impressed, and he invited the merchant and his sailors to join him in a welcoming feast, or luau. But no sooner did they sit down to eat did black Rattatas appear from every corner to nibble at the food."

Surprised screams and "ew"s fill the room at the turn of events, but Brock quickly assures them "This gave the merchant an idea, and he sent one of the sailors to get Kitty, who had by this time evolved into a beautiful Persian. The moment Kitty entered the hall, she went to work chasing the Rattatas away. They fled for their lives, and soon the hall was pest free. Exhausted, Kitty lay down to rest and soon fell fast asleep. The chief was overjoyed--Rattatas had plagued his people for some time, and now he had a way to solve the problem! He offered the merchant many rare and exotic items in exchange for Kitty. The merchant agreed, and soon the sailors were filling the ship with treasures. The next day, they set off for home."

Mild applause goes up at this. "When the merchant returned home, he sent word to Alex to meet him." Brock continues over a hopeful melody. "When Alex arrived in the study, the merchant smiled and gave him a bag of gold, telling him that Kitty had earned all the treasure he had brought back. Alex was overjoyed, of course, and joyfully thanked the merchant. He was so happy, he bought gifts for everyone in the household, including the cruel old cook. The next day, everyone in the house was amazed to see the new and improved Alex Harlow: He was clean and well kept, dressed in a fine suit and shoes to match."

He stops his song to interject "Even the cook had to admit he was a handsome fellow!"

Giggles fill the air as Brock starts a love theme. "The merchant's daughter, Meg, stared, too. She had always felt sorry for the young man, and now she found herself falling in love with him."

He grins. "Of course, Alex returned Meg's feelings too."

He weaves a little of "Here Comes the Bride" into his song as he continues "It was not long before they were married, and everyone came to the wedding, for the story of how Alex had earned his fortune had spread far and wide. "Alex and his wife lived happily together. They had many children they taught to be kind and hardworking. Mr. Harlow, as he came to be called, made his way up the ranks of public office until he became Pewter's representative to the Aiiro City."

He then starts a melody that evokes "Red, Blue, and Yellow Bold" as he continues "During the last year of his service as representative, the Pokemon Master himself invited the Harlows to the Pokemon League for dinner. Everyone spoke of Alex's character -- his kindness and generosity. The Pokemon Master was so impressed that he honored him by making him Pewter City's first official Gym Leader. But that was only the beginning--as well as giving out Boulder Badges to aspiring trainers, he also juggled many duties as mayor, building Kanto's first hospital, first college, and many other things. Even though he had many things to be proud of, he never forgot his humble beginnings. He was always generous to the poor, and he never forgot Kitty, and built a statue in her honor."

He concludes "When Alex joined Arceus in heaven after a long and colorful life, a statue of him was built by the statue of Kitty, so they would always be together."

"Aw"s and applause fills the air as Brock sets his instrument aside and takes a bow...

Week 328: Tanooki's Spinning Wheel

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 236, story 2)

"Once a man and his wife lived in the mountains, making their keep by cutting wood and hunting." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "When the day's work was done, the woman would spend the evening spinning thread to sell in town, in hopes of making enough money for her and her husband to live comfortably in town."

He grins "One night, the man got up to get a drink of water, and happened to walk in on Tanooki, the wily racoon-dog, helping himself to the couple's food!"

Laughter fills the air as the crowd picture's the man's reaction. "Try as the man might to chase Tanooki away, Tanooki would come back every night like clockwork." Brock explains. It got to the point where the man seriously considered setting a trap to catch Tanooki, but as the couple worked hard day in and day out, they didn't really have time to build a trap, and so forgot all about Tanooki."

He continues "One night, as the wife was doing her nightly spinning, she happened to spot Tanooki peeking in the window. Try as she might to ignore him, Tanooki just sat quietly, mesmerized by the spinning wheel going around and around and around."

Giggles fill the air at Brock's expressive tone. "Tanooki returned every night at the same time, just to watch the wife at the spinning wheel. He would sit quietly and watch the wheel spin, mimicking the woman's hands as she worked. But one night, the woman heard a cry for help from outside. She found Tanooki tangled in a rope, and untied him, telling him to be careful not to get caught in any traps. Despite her warning, Tanooki did not return to the couple's house."

Concerned murmurs fill the air as Brock continues "Summer turned to fall, and fall turned to winter. Since the woman couldn't do any spinning in the winter--since the cold and dry air made her thread brittle--the couple often spent the winter doing odd jobs for the village elder. Before long, winter turned to spring, and the couple returned home. Imagine their surprise when they found a ton of freshly spun thread in the main room of the house, and Tanooki happily spinning at the spinning wheel!"

"Oh"s fill the room at this. "The man was stunned--he thanked Tanooki for his hard work, and asked his forgiveness for trying to catch him before." Brock explains.

He concludes "From that day on, the couple could count on Tanooki's spinning to help them in hard times, and grew to love him as deeply as a child."

"Aw"s and applause fill the auditorium as Brock takes a bow...

Week 329: The Treasure Castle

(real tale: The Treasure Castle)

"Once upon a time, a hunter--his name is not important to us--was roaming through the forest when he heard a voice crying for help." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "Following the sound, the hunter discovered a dwarf caught in a pit which had been dug to trap wild Pokemon."

Intrigued murmurs fill the room at this. "After the hunter had rescued the dwarf from his prison, the dwarf--whose name was Nolin--told him."

"Go thirty miles to the north until you arrive at a gigantic pine tree." he instructs in a slight Scottish brogue for Nolin--his go to "dwarf" voice. "Then turn to the east, and go another thirty miles until you come to a glittering castle. Enter the castle without fear, and you will discover a room in which stands a round crystal table laden with gold and jewels. Help yourself to the treasure, and return home immediately. Whatever you do, do not go up into the turret of the castle; if you value your life."

As himself, he continues "Our hero thanked Nolin, and after making sure that he had plenty of food in his bag, hurried north as fast as he could go. He ran through bramble and brier, over hill and over dale, and at sunset he came to a gigantic pine tree standing in a rocky field. Weary from his long journey, the hunter lay down beneath the tree and went to sleep."

After a pause Brock continues "He woke up refreshed, and turning his eyes towards the rays of the rising sun, began his journey to the east. Before long he reached a hill in the forest, and from this hill, he saw a shining crystal turret rising over the ocean of bright leaves. At noon he arrived at the castle. It was deserted and in ruins; grass grew in the courtyard and between the bricks of the terrace, and the wooden gates were already rotten or in the process of rotting."

"Ew"s fill the air at this. "It was not long before the hunter soon discovered the round room." Brock went on. "A table laden with wonderful treasures stood in the center of the chamber, directly under a shower of sunlight pouring through a half-ruined window in the wall."

He grins. "And oh, how the diamonds and jewels sparkled and gleamed!"

Excited whispers fill the air at this "As the hunter was filling his pockets, the flash of a jewel lying on the floor happened to catch his eye, and looking down, he saw that a trail of jewels led the way out of the room. Following the scattered gems, our hero came to a door, and when he opened this door, he discovered a flight of stone steps leading to the turret. The steps were strewn carelessly with the finest emeralds, rubies, sapphires, diamonds, and pearls. Remembering his friend Nolin's warning, our hero did not go up the stairs, but hurried home with his treasure. When the hunter returned to his homeland, the wonderful treasures made him a rich man, and in a short time the news of his prosperity came to the royal ears of the king."

He explains to the crowd "Now, this king was not very nice, and his two best friends, the lord high chamberlain and the prime minister, were every bit as ruthless and cruel as their master. They oppressed the people with harsh laws and needless taxes, they stole from the poor, they kidnapped children; and they would have even gone so far as to kill their own subjects if they wanted."

Angry murmurs fill the air as Brock continues "So when the lord high chamberlain heard of the hunter's wealth, he decided that the simplest thing to do would be to kill the hunter and take his money."

Gasps go up at this. "The prime minister, who was not as blunt, suggested that it would be better to throw the hunter into a deep, dark dungeon until he was ready to literally buy his freedom." Brock explains. The king, who was the wisest of the three, decided that the best thing to do was to find out where the hunter had gotten his treasure, so that, assuming there was any left, they could go get some for themselves."

He intones "And so, our hero was thrown into the dungeon, and told that if he wanted to stay alive and go free, he would tell where his riches came from. Not wishing to be tortured, he told of the treasure castle in the forest."

He starts towards stage right, where his harp is waiting. "On the following morning, the king, the lord high chamberlain, and the prime minister, rode forth in search of the treasure. Great was their joy when they found the castle and the treasure room just as our hero had described." he explains as he quickly puts on his harp fingerpicks.

Once he is ready and has his instrument in hand, he goes on "The prime minister poured the shining gems through his claw-like fingers, and the king and the lord high chamberlain threw their arms around each others' shoulders and danced as well as their age and dignity would permit."

With that, plays a jig on his harp for effect. Then they began pouring the treasure into the sacks they had brought with them, and these, filled to the brim, they carried to the castle door." he continues. "Before long, not even a crystal shard was left on the table. Suddenly the lord high chamberlain happened to spot the gems strewn along the floor. So the three rogues got down on their hands and knees and began stuffing the jewels into their already bulging pockets. The trail of jewels led them across the hall to the door opening on the stairway, and up the stairs they scrambled as fast as they could go. At the top of the stairs, in the turret, they found another round room lit by three narrow, barred windows, and in the center of this turret chamber, they found another table just like the first one. With shrieks of delight, the king, the prime minister and the lord high chamberlain ran to this second treasure, and plunged their hands into the glittering golden mass. Suddenly, a great bell rang in the castle, a great brazen bell whose deep clang beat about them in throbbing, singing waves."

Brock proceeds to play the bottom string of his instrument a few times for effect. "The three rogues rushed to the door, but it was locked! Seconds later, there was a huge explosion which threw them all to the floor, tossing the treasure over them; and then, the castle turret, with the three rogues trapped inside it, detached itself from the rest of the castle, and flew into the air."

Awed murmurs fill the room at the turn of events. "From the barred windows, the king, the lord high chamberlain, and the prime minister saw mile after mile of the forest rushing by beneath them." Brock explains as he sets the harp aside and removes the fingerpicks. "Suddenly the flying room began to descend, and landed lightly as a Fletchling in the middle of a castle courtyard. Hundreds of dwarves came rushing toward the enchanted turret, and grabbed its prisoners. In a few moments they were brought before the dwarven king, whose name was Giotto."

"With what are these three charged?"he asks in an older version of his "dwarf" voice for Giotto.

"With having tried to rob the treasure castle, Your Majesty,"he replies as a normal dwarf.

"Send for the Lord Chief Justice immediately."

As himself, Brock intones "The three culprits were standing uneasily in a kind of cage. They tried to speak, but every time they opened their mouths, one of the guards gave them a shove in the ribs. For about five minutes there was dead silence in the crowded throne room. After what felt like an eternity, everyone present heard the clarion call of a trumpet playing an assembly call way off in the distance."

Excited whispers fill the air as the audience hears a trumpet playing "To the Colors offstage, making it sound as if it is coming from far away. "A buzz of excitement filled the room, increasing with every passing moment." Brock grins--he knows who played the trumpet earlier. "Finally, a herald called..."

He then announces as a dwarven herald "Make way, for the Lord Chief Justice approaches!"

As himself, he sets the scene. "The audience grew very still. Suddenly the great tapestry curtains which overhung the door parted, and there appeared an usher, clad in red velvet and carrying a golden wand; then came two pages, also clad in red velvet and carrying an ornate looking box on a velvet cushion. Last of all came a dwarven elder clad in an ornate robe with dwarven runes for trim. On reaching the center of the hall, the company bowed before the throne of their lord and master."

"Your Venerability, these human rascals have been caught in the act of robbing the treasure castle. What punishment do you suggest?" he asks as Giotto.

He interjects as himself "At these words, the two pages brought the ornate box to the elder, which held a crystal ball. Now the humans understood why the elder was so respected--he was one of the very few dwarves that could wield magic!"

"Oh"s fill the air as Brock narrates "After studying the crystal ball for a long time, the dwarven elder passed his judgement...

"The human king is hereby sentenced to be Master Sweeper of the Palace Chimneys." he intones as an older dwarf. "The human minister is hereby sentenced to be Master Washer of the Palace Windows....The human chamberlain is hereby sentenced to be Master Shaker of the Palace Carpets. So it is, and so it shall be."

Some light applause goes up at this. "The dwarves present applauded this sage judgment." Brock continues. "So the three rogues were led away, and as far as I know, they are still performing the tasks that they were sentenced to do. They'll probably be at it for all eternity--for the palace has 600 chimneys, over 9000 windows, and 1200 large and ornate carpets, and the chimneys, windows, and carpets have to be all swept, washed, and shaken out at least once a week."

Gentle laughter fills the room as Ash joins Brock on the stage, still holding his trumpet. "But what about the hunter? What happened to him?" he asks.

"As for our hero, he was immediately set free and crowned king, because he was the richest and most powerful of them all." Brock replied.

"And what happened to all the treasure the king, the lord high chamberlain, and the prime minister hoarded?" Ash asks.

"The treasure of the treasure castle is still there today, packed in the linen sacks, lying just inside the great door." Brock replies.

He looks lot on the enthralled audience. "Perhaps someday one of you might find it. If you do, don't be greedy, and whatever you do, don't go up to the turret chamber."

Laughter and applause fill the air as the boys take a bow...

Week 330a: The Legend of Owen, part 1

(real tale: The Hound of the Hill of Spears)

"Long ago, in a world where magic and fantastic creatures were common, there lived a king and queen who had a son named Owen." Brock begins. "The queen had died when Owen was little, and after some time to grieve, the king married again. His new wife hated the boy, and did everything she could to bother or hurt him, in hopes she could drive him away. Owen, for the most part, paid her no mind, and went about his daily routine as always."

Intrigued murmurs fill the air as Brock continues "He was very fond of bird hunting, and one day when out with his bow he followed a beautiful shining Pidgeot, something he had never seen before. He did not catch it, but brought home a feather that fell from its wing. As the feather was beautiful, he showed it to everyone in the castle-his new stepmother included. After dinner that evening, his mother proposed that he play a game of chess with her. He asked for what they would play for; and she answered that whoever won would put a charge on the other--a kind of magical spell that would force the target to do a specific task, like it or not. If one fulfilled the charge, the spell on them would be broken."

He tells the audience "Now, chess in this world was not like chess as we play it, but was closer to games like Othello and Spot."

"Oh"s fill the air as Brock continues "Owen agreed. When they played he won the game. His stepmother was very much vexed at this, and demanded to play another game. Owen agreed, but this time his stepmother won."

"Well," he asks in a mimic of Ash for Owen, "what is your charge?"

"Obey the ancient pact of the ages and fulfill your duty…" he chants in a mimic of Clair for the stepmother. "The feather you brought home today was from the wing of the Golden Pidgeot of Sinoch, which is owned by a great giant. All the world covets that Pokemon, but though hundreds of heroes have searched for it, not one has ever returned. I therefore charge you to set out on your travels and never return until you bring me the Golden Pidgeot of Sinoch."

He intones as himself "Poor Owen was troubled by this charge as his stepmother's marking--a teardrop symbol that resembled a hanging Zubat--appeared on his hand as a reminder of the charge. After composing himself, he said..."

As Owen, he intones "Obey the ancient pact of the ages and fulfill your duty...for the game I won, I charge you to stand on the top of the tallest tower on my father's castle from the moment of my departure until the hour of my return with the Golden Pidgeot of Sinoch. You are to face the wind, and your food will be what seeds the wind blows you, and your drink the rain that falls on you."

As himself, he goes on "His stepmother was enraged as Owen's marking, which resembled a reversed treble clef, appeared on her hand. But she had to honor her own bargain."

Excited whispers fill the air as Brock continues "The next morning Owen, after bidding farewell to his father, his friends, and everyone in the castle, set out on his travels. He saw his stepmother on the tallest tower facing the wind--there to remain, feeding on the seeds that were blown to her and drinking the rain, until he would return-if he did return-with the Golden Pidgeot of Sinoch. Far and very far Owen traveled; until, late that evening, as he sat down by the side of a stream, weary and hungry, a beautiful Arcanine came bounding from the hills. He looked with hungry eyes at him eating his dinner."

"I'm very, very hungry," he pleads in a gentle deep voice for the Arcanine. "Will you share with me?"

As himself, Brock continues "Owen felt sorry for the majestic dog Pokemon, so he divided his dinner, and gave half of it to the Arcanine, who ate it happily. Then it asked Owen where he traveled. Owen told the Arcanine his sad story, and showed him the charge mark on his hand."

"Sir Owen, you are going on one of the most adventurous, and at the same time most terrible tasks in the world; but, if I, Hunter of the Hills, can do anything to help you, I will. Come with me tonight anyway, and rest." he offers as the Arcanine.

He continues as himself "Owen thanked Hunter, and went with him. Hunter brought him to a fine house on a hill, where Owen got a soft bed for the night. The next morning, Hunter told him how the Golden Pidgeot was guarded by the great giant."

"I have lived on this hill a hundred years," he intones Hunter, "and have seen 99 brave heroes and heroines pass every year on the quest of the Golden Pidgeot--some of them charged, and some of them on their own free will--but none of them ever returned. However, the great giant is in need of someone to care for the Pidgeot, and your best plan is to offer him your service. When he asks what you can do, tell him that you are good at anything you set your mind to, but especially good at minding golden pidgeots. If you are lucky enough to get custody of the Pidgeot, be as kind to the bird as you can, until it grows to like you. If you succeed, it may wish to go with you. But when you have earned its trust, your task is only begun. Every stone in the giant's castle is enchanted, and can tell him if anything goes wrong. If he discovers you trying to steal the Golden Pidgeot, you cannot escape with your life. The giant lives five thousand miles away from here; but if you want, I will transform myself into a fine steed, and then quickly carry you to the giant's castle."

He interjects as himself "Owen agreed, and Hunter sang..."

After pausing to sing Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... as Hunter, he goes on as himself "...transforming into the legendary steed Epona in a flash of fire! Only Epona's heels touched the tops of the hills, as they whirled over the world like Lugia on his nightly journey. They overtook the wind before them, but the wind behind couldn't overtake them."

The lights dim a little to mimic night. "Late in the evening they reached the castle of the great giant." Brock continues from a spotlight. "Once Owen dismounted, the shining Ponyta became Hunter again. Hunter wished him success; and said if he ever escaped from the giant's castle with his life, he would be waiting. With that, they parted. Then he went up to the castle and knocked at the gates; and a great giant, the most terrible Owen had ever seen, came out and asked who he was and what he wanted. He answered that he was Owen, of the Aiiro City, and was in search of a master. The giant asked what he could do, and Owen answered that he was good at anything he put his mind to, but especially good at minding Golden Pidgeots."

"Very well, as I'm just needing such a person, I'll hire you for a bag of gold, to serve me for a year and a day; and in the morning I'll show you your work." he offers in a deeper version of himself for the giant.

As himself, he narrates "He took Owen in, gave him food and a bed; and in the morning told him he was going to put his work before him. The next morning, the giant led Owen to a tall tower in one corner of the castle, and showed him the beautiful Golden Pidgeot, which Owen had followed in the forest not long before."

"Your duty is to care for and feed that Pidgeot, and see that nothing happens to it." he instructs as the giant.

He intones as himself "He warned Owen that if he ever messed with the Pidgeot or shirked his duty, it would be his life in exchange. He then left Owen and the Pokemon alone. Owen was very kind to the Pidgeot--he fed it the best food, and washed it every morning, and saw that it had all it wanted and more. The Pidgeot liked Owen from the beginning; it grew fonder of him every day, until it trusted Owen enough to take it back to the Aiiro City."

The lights dim a little more as Brock goes on "They planned to escape at midnight on a certain night. When the appointed time came, Owen climbed out the window with the Pidgeot under his arm, when the Pidgeot happened to innocently flutter a wing, and the tip of its wing touched a rock."

Gasps go up at this "That was enough to wake the giant, and he brought Owen and the Pidgeot back to the castle. But for some reason, seeing the charge mark on Owen's hand made him reconsider killing him."

"I only want one thing to make me The Greatest Master of Them All-but I have never yet been able to get." he explains as the giant. "It is the Sword of Light belonging to the king of Fanyan, a flash from which can light up half the world in rainbow light. It lies in the innermost room of the king's palace, constantly guarded by ten thousand warriors. Hundreds of heroes have gone seeking that sword, but none have ever returned with their lives. Your life will be spared if within a year and a day you bring me that wonderful blade."

As himself, he narrates "Owen agreed to the task, and was seen off the next morning."

He looks out over his enthralled audience. "But Owen's adventure was just beginning...I will tell you more next week!"

Week 330b: The Legend of Owen, part 2

Cheers fill the air as Brock arrives onstage. "He had not gone far, when Hunter of the Hills appeared, and asked him how things had gone." he begins, picking up where he left off the previous week. "Owen told Hunter what had happened; and Hunter cautioned that he was now going on a far more adventuresome task than before."

"But, I'll do everything in my power to help you." he assures the worried crowd as Hunter.

He interjects as himself "With that, Hunter sang...

After singing Karuto, iichiida shou... as Hunter, he continues as himself "...transforming into a majestic Braviary. Owen then climbed on the Braviary's back, and set off. The tips of the Braviary's wings brushed the fire off the stars, as they went around the world like a celestial arrow. They overtook the whirlwinds before them, and the whirlwinds behind couldn't overtake them-and they never stopped until, late that evening, they landed at the castle of the king of Fanyan, where the Braviary turned into Hunter again."

"Wow"s and awed murmurs fill the air. "Hunter told Owen to ask for work at the castle, and when the king asked what he could do, to reply that he was good at anything he put his mind to, but especially good at caring for swords." Brock explains as himself, quieting the chatter.

"He needs someone to tend the Sword of Light, and may hire you. If you ever escape from the castle with your life, you'll find me here waiting for you." he explains as Hunter.

As himself, Brock continues "Owen thanked Hunter, and everything happened as Hunter said. The king brought Owen into the castle, gave him dinner and a bed for the night; and the next morning he took him to the innermost room where the Sword of Light was kept. Though the room had no windows, it was as bright as day, because the Sword of Light was shining in a rainbow of colors. Owen was put in charge of the sword, and warned that if anything happened to the sword it would be his life in exchange."

Fearful murmurs fill the room at this, but Brock quickly assures the crowd "He took the greatest care of it, polishing it well every morning and evening. At the end of a month, when he had learned all about the sword, and had learned out all the secret ways out of the palace, he decided to escape with the sword."

The lights dim to simulate night. "So at midnight one night, after a feast, when all the guards, having eaten and drunk too much, had fallen asleep, Owen took the sword from its case, and was climbing out a window when the sword touched a wall." Brock intones, cuing the lights to brighten to normal. "The first flash lit up half the world, woke up the king and the ten thousand guards, and everyone in, and for a hundred miles around the palace, with its rainbow light. Owen was captured and brought back; Though the king wanted him executed immediately, seeing Owen's charge mark made him reconsider."

"There is one way your life can be spared, but it is an impossible way." he warns as the king.

"What do you mean?" he asks as Owen

"There is only one thing I want to make me The Greatest Master of Them All, and that is the wonderful legendary shining steed, Epona, who belongs to the king of Kalski. Hundreds of heroes have set out to steal her, but as far as I know none have ever come back alive. I'll spare your life, if within a year and a day, you bring me the legendary shining steed, Epona." he instructs as the king.

As himself, he concludes "Owen agreed, and was seen off the next morning. But this was not the only treasure he would be sent to procure...I will tell you more next week!"

Week 330c: The Legend of Owen, part 3

"Ooh"s and "ah"s fill the air as Brock arrives in costume as a minstrel, complete with his harp--his favorite Halloween costume. "Owen agreed, and was seen off the next morning. He hadn't gone far when he found Hunter waiting for him."

"How was it?" he asks as Hunter.

He sighs as himself "His heart was saddened when he heard how Owen had fared and failed. He was saddened all the more when he learned of the new task Owen had to perform."

"I'm afraid it's an impossible task." he sighs as Hunter. "But, all the same, I'll do what I can to help you."

He interjects as himself "With that, Hunter sang..." before singing as Hunter Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...

After playing a soft glissando to mimic a transformation, he continues as himself "...transforming into a ship in full sail. Once Owen was aboard, the ship set sail, and overtook the wind before, while the wind behind couldn't overtake it."

He plays a few more chords to mimic the magical ship's journey before continuing "Finally, they sailed into port near the castle of the king of Kalski."

"Go up to the castle, and ask for work. The king is looking for someone to mind and tend the legendary shining steed, Epona. When he asks what you can do, say you are good at anything you put your mind to, but particularly good at minding Ponytas. If he hires you, you may have a one in a million chance of stealing Epona. If you escape alive, you'll find me here waiting for you." he instructs as Hunter.

As himself, Brock goes on "Owen thanked Hunter, and went off to the castle. All happened as Hunter had said, and Owen had a good dinner, a soft bed, and a sweet sleep. In the morning, the king showed him the legendary shining steed, Epona, which had a gorgeous stable all to herself, and told him she was the most wonderful steed in the world, and that heroes and heroines from all over Mikawa had come trying to steal this special Pokemon, but the minute they laid a hand on her, the thousand bells she wore would ring, and their ringing could be heard halfway around the world. This was why no one could steal Epona-all those that had dared to try had lost their lives in the attempt. So with many warnings, the king left Epona in Owen's care."

He continues over a melody evoking friendship "Owen was particularly kind to Epona, watched her, and cared for her, groomed her, and fed her well-hoping to win her trust by his kindness. In a short time he and Epona were great friends. Epona was willing to go with him to the Aiiro City, so dearly did she love Owen."

The lights dim a little to mimic nighttime. "So in the middle of the night, when the king, his court, and all the guards were sleeping heavily after a feast, Owen got up and roused the legendary shining steed, Epona, and started off with her." Brock continues. "But just as he was walking through the castle gate, one of the bells touched it-and that was enough to wake the world."

After playinga few ringing chords to mimic bells, he continues "Owen was arrested, and led into the castle again. As much as the king wanted to kill Owen, seeing the charge mark on his hand made him reconsider."

He proceeds to preform the whole rigamarole between Owen and the king again. "There's one way to spare your life, but it is an impossible one."

"What is it?"

"Bring me, within a year and a day, Marla, the beautiful daughter of the king of Teselia. I only need Marla for my wife, that I may be The Greatest Master of Them All. Thousands of heroes from all over the world have gone to Teselia on the same errand, but not one has ever lived to tell the tale."

He concludes "Owen agreed, and went down to the sea, where he found Hunter of the Hills waiting for him.

He grins. "So what else would Owen have to procure before fulfilling his charge? I will tell you more next week!"

"Aw"s and applause go up as Brock sets his harp aside and takes a bow...

Last edited:

Week 330d: The Legend of Owen, part 4

The crowd murmurs in anticipation as Brock arrives onstage. "When Hunter heard how he had fared, his heart sank." he begins.

"But I'll do all I can for you, anyway." he assures the crowd as Hunter.

With that, he sings Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... as Hunter before continuing as himself "This time, Hunter transformed into a tremendous Wailord. Owen got on its back, and started for Teselia. They swept the ocean like a whirlwind. They overtook the mad waves before them, and the mad waves behind couldn't overtake them-until they came into the harbor by the castle of the king of Teselia, where he became a ship again. By Hunter's request, Owen decided to invite the king of Teselia to come down and taste some of the fine wines he had brought from Kalski."

"If he consents to come, he'll bring with him his beautiful daughter, Marla. Then it is up to you to win her heart if you can; and I'll quickly carry you both to Kalski." he explains as Hunter.

As himself, he continues "When the king of Teselia heard that the king of the Aiiro City's son was in the harbor, and wished him to come and taste his Kalskian wines, he came with all his court, among them his beautiful daughter, Marla, with whom Owen fell madly in love."

"Aw"s go up at this. "Owen treated them to a fine meal on board the ship, and gave them the choicest of the sweet wines of Kalski; and asked them to come as often as they wished." Brock continues. "He stayed in the harbor for three weeks, and the king and his court came often to chat with him, and drink the wines of Kalski. Every time they came, they brought the beautiful Marla, with whom Owen was able to get in a few words. Every time he saw her he loved her more and more."

He grins. "It helped that Marla was getting fonder and fonder of Owen-for he was a handsome and brave young man."

More "aw"s fill the room in agreement. "Finally, he persuaded her to come down to the ship one day with only her guardian lady, that they might take a cruise around the harbor." Brock intones. "But when Owen got them aboard, he set sail for Kalski."

He intones "Soon the news spread that Owen had carried off the king's beautiful daughter, and the king had his swiftest ships launched in pursuit. But though they sailed at their fastest, Owen's ship outran them all, and they were forced to return empty-handed."

He assures the antsy crowd "But Marla did not mind being carried away by someone like Owen, the prince of the Aiiro City."

He then concludes "So did Owen ever fulfill both charges? I will tell you the exciting conclusion next week!"

Week 330e: The Legend of Owen, part 5

The crowd applauds as Brock arrives onstage. "When they reached Kalski, and got on dry land, Hunter sang..."

After pausing to sing Seios, higarima laisido... as Hunter, he continues as himself "...becoming a beautiful young lady, an exact copy of Marla, the daughter of the king of Teselia. As per Hunter's directions, Owen left the real Marla with her guardian in a cave on the shore, and took the transformed Hunter with him to the castle of the king of Kalski, and handed her over to the king, who was overjoyed, and gave Owen his freedom and the legendary shining steed, Epona."

Giggles go up at this. "Owen returned to the shore with Epona in tow, and waited with Marla until evening, when Hunter, having cast a sleeping spell on everyone in the castle and escaped, came trotting in his true form to the shore." Brock explains. "Hunter transformed into a ship again...

After singing Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... as Hunter, he continues as himself "Owen got on board with the beautiful Princess Marla and her guardian, and the legendary shining steed, Epona, and went on the wind's wings to Fanyan. Having landed by the castle of the king of Fanyan, the ship turned into an exact copy of Epona."

He pauses to sing as Hunter Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... as Hunter before continuing as himself. "Owen, leaving the real Epona with Marla, by the shore, went to the castle with the transformed Hunter. Great was the joy of the king of Fanyan to get the legendary shining steed, Epona. He joyfully gave Owen his freedom and the Sword of Light. Owen returned to the shore, and waited with Marla and the real Epona, until Hunter, having cast a sleeping spell over the court of the king of Fanyan and escaped, came trotting down to them. Here he transformed himself into a ship again..."

He sings as Hunter again Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... before continuing as himself "...and Owen got on board with Princess Marla and her guard, the legendary shining steed, Epona, and the Sword of Light. They swept like the sunlight over the waters until they came to the coast of Sinoch-where they landed just by the castle of the great giant, who owned the Golden Pidgeot of Sinoch."

"Ooh"s go up as Brock continues "Hunter transformed himself into an exact copy of Sword of Light...

He pauses to sing as Hunter again Seios, higarima laisido.... before continuing as himself "Leaving the real sword with Epona and Marla on the shore, Owen took the transformed Hunter to the castle of the giant. When the giant appeared, Owen handed him the sword and asked for his freedom. This the giant joyfully gave him, and the Golden Pidgeot of Sinoch as a reward for his efforts. He was overjoyed to get the Sword of Light. Now, he said, he could destroy all his enemies, and be The Greatest Master of Them All."

He intones "Owen, with the Golden Pidgeot, went off to the shore and waited with his companions."

The lights dim a little to mimic nighttime. "In the middle of the night, the transformed Hunter, in the form of a sword, cut off the head of the giant--the terror of the entire realm--and then returned, in his true Arcanine form, to Owen and his companions." Brock continues as the lights start to brighten. "Then Owen, with Marla, the legendary shining steed, Epona, the Sword of Light, the Golden Pidgeot, and Hunter, set out for his father's castle."

He continues "When he came to his father's castle, he saw his stepmother standing on the topmost tower, with her face to the wind, living on what grains the wind blew to her, and drinking the rain that fell on her. When she saw Owen returning, and saw with him the Golden Pidgeot of Sinoch, which was perched on his shoulder, she let out a scream that rang three times round the world, fell from the tower, and was killed on the flags below, fulfilling both charges at the same time."

Nervous giggles go up at the stepmother's demise. "Owen's father joyfully ran to meet his son, and the gentlemen and ladies of the court danced with delight to welcome him-for they had missed their prince." Brock smiles. "And equally as warm was the welcome they, one and all, gave his beautiful Marla."

"Aw"s fill the air as Brock concludes "Owen and Marla were soon married, with Hunter in attendance. The wedding festivities, the greatest ever known, lasted for nine months and more; with the next day's festivities better than the day before."

The crowd roars as Brock takes a bow...

Week 331: The Rainbow Road

(real tale: The Rainbow Path)

"Oh"s fill the auditorium as Brock arrives in a palm print Alolan shirt--a signal that he is telling one of the tales he gathered on his Alolan vacation alongside Ash and Misty. "Once upon a time, long before humans walked the world, the Pokemon traveled to heaven every year to visit Arceus, who the people of Alola call the nui alii., or great chief." he begins. "They would come with their joys, their sorrows, their petitions, and their concerns, and Arceus would listen to them all, deciding each case with wisdom and mercy."

Intrigued murmurs fill the air at this "One year, the conversation was all about Buneary's decision to move to the sky." Brock continues, quieting the chatter. "Buneary had asked Arceus to take her there, and there she stayed, living in the moon. When the moon guardian Lunala took flight at harvest time, Buneary appeared in a cloud, and told stories of her life in the sky. The other Pokemon were jealous of Buneary, for a rumor said that Arceus had created a new race of creatures to watch over the land. The Pokemon did not understand this new race was meant to protect them, so after talking it over, they agreed they all must join Buneary in the sky if they wanted to stay safe. The only problem was, Buneary hadn't told them how to get there."

"Ooh"s fill the air at this. "Sawsbuck gladly volunteered for the task, and so he wandered the world until he discovered Anuenue, the rainbow, arching high into the sky." Brock explains.

"Can you carry me to the sky?" he asks in a mimic of Ash for Sawsbuck. "I want to visit my friend Buneary."

"I will ask Lord Arceus. Come see me again in a little while and I will take you there." he offers in a mimic of a young girl for Anuenue

He intones as himself "The autumn turned to winter, and Sawsbuck decided to visit Anuenue again, but no matter how far and wide he searched, he could not find her. Life in the world was becoming more difficult, and the Pokemon were growing more and more afraid. Sawsbuck was desperate, and so he searched the wide world over."

He assures the jittery crowd "Finally, the spring turned to summer, and Anuenue reappeared."

"There you are!" he smiles as Sawsbuck. "I searched for you all winter long. Take me to the sky to see Buneary."

"I cannot take you now," he replies as Anuenue, "but come find me on a day when the fog blankets the lake. This time I promise I will be there."

As himself, Brock continues "A few days later a thick fog rolled in over the lake, and Sawsbuck hurried to find Anuenue. He finally found her, her many colors stretching from the lake into the faraway hills where there was no fog. Sawsbuck quickly stepped onto Anuenue's path and walked into the sky, and there his old friend Buneary greeted him. Life in the sky was so wonderful, that Sawbuck decided to stay."

He continues "That year, when summer passed and Lunala took flight, the Pokemon met again, but this time Sawsbuck was not there. They sent Pikipek and Taillow and Braviary to find him, but no one had seen him. Mightyena searched. So did the holy Delphox. But they found no sign of Sawsbuck. As they were growing frantic, the great cloud where Buneary lived rolled across the sky, and Buneary called down to her friends..."

"Sawsbuck is in the sky. Anuenue made him a path, and he came to live here." he explains in a mimic of Dawn for Buneary. "All of you should follow Anuenue's path and come to live in the sky."

He intones as himself "Try as Buneary might to convince the others to come to the sky, the Pokemon were busy complaining. They were angry that Sawsbuck had left them without telling them first. And the angriest of all was Ursaring."

"Sawsbuck is a traitor," he growls in a low, deep voice for Ursaring.. "He is a coward who is afraid of strangers, but I'm not afraid. He should be punished for betraying us. I will follow Anuenue's path until I find him."

He interjects as himself "With that, Ursaring went in search of Anuenue, and when he found the path, he walked and walked until he reached Sawsbuck in the sky."

The audience watches as Brock recreates the awkward conversation between Sawsbuck and Ursaring using just his voice."Why did you leave us without telling us goodbye?"

"I was drawn to the sky,"

"You should have waited for our yearly visit! You have betrayed your friends."

"How dare you accuse me of betrayal!"

As himself, he goes on "With that, Sawsbuck lowered his head to charge at Ursaring. Ursaring growled and reached with his claws. Ursaring and Sawsbuck battled so hard, and for so long, the heavens shook. Down below, the Pokemon looked up with worry. They loved both Ursaring and Sawsbuck. No one wanted anyone to fight, and so they asked the holy Delphox Kitsune to mediate the fight. Being a god Pokemon, Kitsune easily climbed Anuenue's path and reached Sawsbuck and Ursaring. She found them bettered and bleeding, and she cried..."

"Stop this needless fighting! We can resolve this peacefully." he announces in a mimic of Serena for Kitsune.

As himself, he continues "The sound of Kitsune's voice stopped the fight. They looked at Kitsune in all her fiery glory, and they looked at each other. Then they turned and walked away."

He adds "Ever since that day, Ursaring and Sawsbuck have not been friends."

"Oh"s fill the room as Brock goes on "After the battle ended, Kitsune summoned the other Pokemon, and they too climbed Anuenue's path. There they discussed what to do next, and with Arceus as their witness, they all agreed to stay in the sky. They would send their descendants to the world to live, work, and play with the new race of creatures--the Pokemon we live with today."

He concludes "Sometimes, if you look up at the sky, you can see the ancient Pokemon; they are in the clouds, and sometimes you may recognize their shapes in those clouds. And every autumn, the people of Alola say, near the time of Lunala's yearly flight, you will see the leaves in many places turn red, as a reminder of how Sawsbuck and Ursaring battled all those years ago."

The crowd roars with applause as Brock takes a bow...

Week 332: The Wily Kahuna

(real tale: The Riddling Chief of Puna)

Intrigued murmurs fill the air as Misty and Brock--both in Alolan shirts--arrive on the stage. "Long ago in Alola, there was once a kahuna--or a great leader--who fancied himself a master of riddles." Brock begins. "So whenever someone told him one, the kahuna would tell that person his own riddle--'Kou ola na ma ola! Answer me now, or join the Guardians in heaven!'"

"Since no one knew what the odd phrase meant, many people ended up as sacrifices to Tapu Koko." Misty intones, to gasps from the crowd. "Before long, that city risked becoming a city of elders."

"The Wily Kahuna, as this kahuna came to be known, soon was feared across Alola, and was even known among other regions." Brock adds.

"One of the few remaining people in that city was a girl renowned for her wisdom--we will call her Kaiaka." Misty continues. "She was the last remaining child in her family, as her brothers and sisters had all been sacrificed at one time or another. Her parents wept when they heard that Kaiaka had been chosen to find a riddle--they feared that she too would be sacrificed. They pleaded with her to find an answer to the death riddle as she set out the next morning."

"Kaiaka searched across the land, but many had lost a son or a daughter to Tapu Koko, and few were brave enough to tell her what riddles they knew." Brock picks up the story. "In time, she had found three riddles, but no leads as to how to answer the death riddle. She met an old couple in one village that invited her to spend the night--they had heavy hearts, for not only had they lost a son, but many grandchildren, as sacrifices. Kaiaka asked them if they know what 'kou ola na ma ola' meant, and the old man's heart sank--all he remembered was that the line itself was part of a challenge--'Your life for my life'--and what was greater than life itself."

"Oh"s fill the room when the audience learns what the phrase in Native Alolan means. "Kaiaka contemplated the meaning of the old challenge that night, and she was still thinking the next morning when she returned." Brock continues. "As she was whisked away to prepare for her audience with the kahuna, the prayers and offerings were made to Tapu Koko. In the morning, Kaiaka, now in her best clothes and fine jewelry, came before the kahuna, and said..."

"Great Ruler of Melemele, I come before you with a pearl of wisdom." Misty tells Brock in character as Kaiaka

"Let me hear it, then." Brock replies in character as the kahuna, before the two continue for a moment:

"What is broken every time it's spoken?"

"Silence...very clever!"

"After telling the two other riddles she had found, Kaiaka was faced with the death riddle. But she shot back..." Brock narrates as himself

"I know the thing greater than kou ola! Akamai is greater than kou ola!" Misty retorts as Kaiaka.

"And so the kahuna was sacrificed, and Kaiaka was hailed as a hero." Brock concludes.

"Even though many years have passed, and the Guardians of Alola don't require human sacrifices any more, no one in that city ever speaks of riddles again, in memory of those that were sacrificed at the hand of the Wily Kahuna." Misty adds.

Cheers and applause go up as Misty and Brock take a bow...

Chimchar98; @The Jingster; @Tophat Dragoneye; @Soulmaster;

Week 333: The Legend of Susanoo

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 241, story 1)

"Oh"s go up as Ash and Misty join Brock on the stage. "Anybody ever play the game Okami before?" Ash asks.

Hands go up across the auditorium, mainly from the children, teens, and young adults in the audience. "What you may not know is that the driving incident that sets the game into motion is based on actual mythology." he explains, before allowing Brock to start the story.

Brock nods in agreement as he takes his guitar. "You may have heard the story of Amaterasu--who in actual mythology was human, and not a white Mightyena--how she went into hiding, and how dancing lured her back into the world."

Intrigued murmurs go up at this. "Well, Amaterasu also had a brother named Susanoo, and although he wasn't addicted to sake, he was known for having quite the temper." Misty explains. "Finally, Amaterasu decided enough was enough, and banished her brother until he could learn to control his temper."

"Devastated, Susanoo traveled to the place where his mother Izanami was buried." Brock picks up the story, playing a sad melody all the while. "The day was hot, and it wasn't long before Susanoo grew frustrated, and took out his anger on the local Pokemon."

Angry murmurs waft through the crowd at this. "Just then, the spirit of Izanami appeared to Susanoo, and scolded him for hurting innocent beings--for everything in the world was precious, from the smallest blade of grass to the gods in the heavens." Brock continues, quieting the chatter. "She went on to tell her son she wanted to see him stand up for the weak and rescue those that were oppressed."

"Susanoo was puzzled--how could he use his powerful anger for such a noble cause?" Ash challenges the audience.

The children quietly debate this as the guitar's song turns happier for a moment. "He thought about this for a long time, until he came to a village by a river." Brock continues before he shifts the melody into a minor key. "He noticed that all the townsfolk were crying, and asked the village elder what had happened. The village elder explained that every year, a terrifying monster known as Yamata-no Orochi came down from the nearby mountains and carried away a girl from the village. If they refused, he would send disaster upon the village."

"Now, only a few girls remained--and that year, the lot had fallen to the elder's own daughter, Ayame." Misty intones, to terrified whispers.

"Susanoo was angered at this, and vowed to try and slay Yamata-no-Orochi. The village elder replied that if he could slay the monster, he could have Ayame's hand in marriage and the right of succession." Ash picks up the story. "Susanoo agreed, and asked for some sake--a kind of wine made from rice--and a weapon."

"That night, Susanoo watched and waited for Yamata-no-Orochi, sword in hand." Brock intones as the lights dim a little to mimic nighttime. "He planned to cloud the monster's senses with the sake, and then defeat him while the monster was under the influence, if you will."

"Oh"s and giggles waft through the rows. "It was a very long and drawn out battle, but in the end, Susanoo emerged victorious!" Ash announces, to some laughter as Brock and Misty play the Zelda "got item" stinger to signify Susanoo's victory.

"Susanoo was hailed a hero, and he and Ayame were married within the year." Brock concludes over a happy melody. "The sword he used to defeat Yamata-no-Orochi came to be known as the holy sword Ame-no-Murakamo, and the tales of his many adventures are still told around the world."

The audience applauds as the Trio take a bow...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom