• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M01: Mewtwo Strikes Back

Well, I liked the song too, it's just the usage of it in the movie is detestable.

I've studied film music for a while now, and I can tell you *easily* that an orchestrated track would have worked best there, fading out mid-way to only the sound of the battle...

Personally I thought the movie overall was pretty good.. especially when you watch the Birth of Mewtwo right before it.

One of my favorit bits is when part of the floor explodes and Ash emerges from the smoke.

What I didn't like is how they tried to shove morals down our throughts... Fighting is bad??? What the heck? Then why dose this series evolve around battles? Talk about hypacritical.

Thought I did like the converstation between Meowth and Meowth2... The clone thing is really just an alagory for raceisum...
Just becuse we're different on the outside dosen't meen we are on the inside...

That was much easier to swallow becuse they handed it more sutibly and didn't shove it at us.

I have the cd for the movie and the thing that annoys me the most about it are the songs that have NOTHING to do with the movie or pokemon in general.

I meen one of the songs they toated most for the movie was Don't Say you love me... What in blue blazes did that have to do with the movie? Absolutely nothing. Nore did stupid popculter songs like the Soda pop one.

Songs that belonged on the cd
Pokemon Theme
Vacation
Catch Me if you can
Brother my brother
lullaby (jigglypuff wasen't even in the movie, but at least it's pokemon related)
We're a miracle
If only tears could bring (both tie into the tear sceen)
It was You (possible aamlish song)
Makeing My Way Any way I can (a good song about Ash)

Songs that you have to say WTH to
Don't say you love me
Soda pop
Somewhere someday
Get Happy
Fly with me
have sine fun with the funk

That's the Biggest weakness of the first movie. The Cd has too many songs that just don't fit, The worst offender being Don't say you love me which shoulden't be occociated with pokemon the way it was.

Originally posted by Gold_guardian
What I didn't like is how they tried to shove morals down our throughts... Fighting is bad??? What the heck? Then why dose this series evolve around battles? Talk about hypacritical.

I don't think it really is. In my view, it's like boxing vs. just brawling. You know, a sport vs doing it for no reason.

Dub Message: Fighting Is Bad.

Original Message: In this sort of fight, everyone loses.

I know you guys think the death scene is heartwarming
but this is disappointing. :nono:
I thought Metwo is going to be defaeted because he's the antagonist of the movie and some antagonists get defeated in animated films

Oh boy, this one.

I think it's okay. I really like the idea of Mewtwo's character, but its execution could have been much better.

1. Mewtwo turning good at the end. The Japanese version makes it somewhat plausible, while in the English version, it comes across as a bit forced.

2. Mewtwo wasting the scientists in the Japanese version. I don't if it's just me, but for all the praise the Japanese script gets, it kind of bothers me that he would do this just because he wasn't naturally created. At least the radio drama makes it a bit more understandable by having him get shot in the chest by a security computer. Even the English dub did it better, where Mewtwo asks what will happen to him and the scientists just brush him off. Of course, the dub shot itself in the foot by throwing all subtlety out the window. They didn't have to have Mewtwo say "These humans... they care nothing for me." His actions were enough to register his feelings to the audience, with him tilting his head down in sadness and clenching his paws. I find it to be a fascinating scene, in fact, I'm highly tempted to call it the best scene in the movie. No action, no preaching, just watching the gears work in a character's head. Why can't the Pokémon movies have more of that?

i found it had a lot of depth for a film aimed for children

I loved mewtwo he felt like a well rounded character

the music it thought it was very good at capturing the emotion of the film

the acting especially mewtwo

the film was well written and directed

with my favourite scene being when ash was turned to stone I remember getting really upset when all the Pokémon and misty and brock were breaking down

I enjoyed it for the most part but it was far from perfect I know a lot of people aren't keen on dub which I can understand with the errors in the writing allow I still really liked it

I would love to hear what you think about it

The fact that the first movie essentially boiled down to everyone (minus Satoshi, I guess) watching helplessly from the sidelines as Mewtwo does his thing. Not a big fan of when everyone just suddenly loses agency like that.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom