• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The summary is a little too non-committal for my liking. I just wanna know what to expect already so I can deflate my hopes gently rather than all of a sudden on watching the film!

Let's hope that Ho-Oh gets do more then just flying over Ash and Pikachu for a few seconds and then vanishing for the rest of the film.

The movie is shaping up´to be more or less what I expected, a story that while it might include Ash's begginings it will focus more on his encounters with Ho-Oh. No teaser trailer lies so far. I do hope the movie includes Misty more surprises, through.

Funny, people think this movie is different from standart pokemon movies that focuses on Satoshi's bonding with the legendary pokemon, yet that's exactly what it looks like...

Funny, people think this movie is different from standart pokemon movies that focuses on Satoshi's bonding with the legendary pokemon, yet that's exactly what it looks like...
The bonding part isn't the problem with the standard movies. It's the tired plots with legendaries duking it out or being used by some villain.

Besides, Ho-Oh is special because it judges trainers for how they bond with Pokemon in general. Compare that to Tapu Koko which is just obsessed with Electric-type Z-moves, or Azelf which chose Ash as nothing more than a plot device.

Last edited:
The bonding part isn't the problem with the standard movies. It's the tired plots with legendaries duking it out or being used by some villain.
These plots still can happen. Who could say that Sakaki won't try to catch it, or Lugia won't appear to fight it.

Silktree, whilst I want you to be right about many aspects of this movie, you do indulge in some serious selective speculation...

Selective in what way? We don't know much, so what exactly am I ignoring?

I already said that I'm trying to be optimistic. But that doesn't mean I am unrealistic, either. I feel that the following assumptions are safe to make:

1. The movie will be based on Ash's early days in Kanto, but it will not be an exact retelling.
2. The story will be much more down to earth compared to your average movie.

I don't know what will be the purpose of the movie. It would also clash with the anime Canon or timeline. Will this be a retcon of the first season or would that be an AU?

I don't know what will be the purpose of the movie. It would also clash with the anime Canon or timeline. Will this be a retcon of the first season or would that be an AU?

Most movies are filler and have no bearings on the main plot. The few exceptions would be the Mewtwo movies. Because Sun and Moon is so different from what fans have come to expect from Pokémon (art style and plot wise), it would be best to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the movie the good old fashion way.

And if it proves to be the biggest success for the Pokémon anime, it could lead to a parallel anime storyline in a Rebuild of Evangelion fashion.

A bit disappointed they didn't return to an updated version of the old style, but I like how Satoshi looks here.

And if it proves to be the biggest success for the Pokémon anime, it could lead to a parallel anime storyline in a Rebuild of Evangelion fashion.
This is still the biggest thing I'm hoping for right now (only with the movie series remaining good past the second movie).

Last edited:
This is still the biggest thing I'm hoping for right now (only with the movie series remaining good past the second movie).
The third Rebuild movie was a bit odd, wasn't it? I am not a big fan of how the original Evangelion series was concluded (in either version), though.

The third Rebuild movie was a bit odd, wasn't it? I am not a big fan of how the original Evangelion series was concluded (in either version), though.
The TV ending was due to Gainax's budget for the series literally flushed down the toilet, so they tried to make it "symbolic" by making it take place mentally during the "actual" finale with reused footage, still shots, sketches and mostly dialogue. Later handwaved to take place concurrently with End of Evangelion, within the characters' heads. Omedetou...

End of Evangelion is the intended finale for the last two episodes, and as one of the influences for the story's themes was Anno's struggle with depression, I don't think the series ending was ever going to be particularly happy nor satisfying in a tangible sense. The Episode 25 section of the film is most likely the intended script for Episode 25 of the TV series, since it was also the last 27 minutes of the Death and Rebirth recap movie. The real world footage in the last half of End of Evangelion (Episode 26) showing fanmail from Death and Rebirth was probably the only change from the intended TV episode given the short release gap (so I don't think it was long enough for any affect the fan response had on Anno's mental state to really change the film).

Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition, a.k.a. Rebuild of Evangelion, is supposed to be an exploration of the series with Anno in a healthier mental state. Apparently the production of the movie series was more of a mental toll than he thought, so he took a break. A long one. Which is why Evangelion Q seems so different than what the "Next Episode" teaser showed at the end of Evangelion Break (moreso than the teaser for Break at the end of the Prelude), the hiatus allowed the script for Q to change so dramatically within that time period that it hardly resembles what they originally had in mind. It's almost as if the teaser showed what happened during the in-story timeskip rather than the film itself. Needless to say, I would have preferred to have seen that over space homolust, everyone I like losing their common sense, and Worst Girl Mari still being irrelevant.

If M20 branches into a Rebuild-style movie series, it most likely wouldn't have a Q movie to shit everything up, because thankfully Pocket Monsters doesn't share the same chaotic production conditions that Neon Genesis Evangelion seems to traditionally suffer from. :p

Last edited:
If M20 branches into a Rebuild-style movie series, it most likely wouldn't have a Q movie to shit everything up, because thankfully Pocket Monsters doesn't share the same chaotic production conditions that Neon Genesis Evangelion seems to traditionally suffer from. :p
It probably would have had similar conditions had Shudo been left to his own devices.

Not a fan of the dinosaur movie concept. I am thankful that Shudo had people steer him in the right direction that was the actual third movie. It was still largely his work, of course.

Here's hoping that Yonemura can emulate Shudo better than Sonoda and Tomioka did.

It probably would have had similar conditions had Shudo been left to his own devices.

Not a fan of the dinosaur movie concept. I am thankful that Shudo had people steer him in the right direction that was the actual third movie.
Shudō was basically Anno on rehab, pretty much. Though Anno left to his own devices made the original Evangelion a lot more interesting to me, to be honest, the new movies often reek of merchandise from my perspective. Hey, that sounds familiar...

The dinosaur concept sounds weird on paper, but who knows how the actual product would have looked like. Although I still prefer the actual third movie we got.

I agree that the Rebuild movies don't exactly seem warranted from a narrative perspective...

This reboot, on the other hand, has tremendous potential that most fans don't even seem to realize. I don't know if that is due to skepticism or plain narrow mindedness.

This reboot, on the other hand, has tremendous potential that most fans don't even seem to realize. I don't know if that is due to skepticism or plain narrow mindedness.
Probably a mix of both. The Pocket Monsters franchise has multiple derivatives, a quality now extended to the anime medium with The Origin and Generations. But this is the first time a (potentially) alternate take of an existing derivative ever cropped up and became the 20th movie of it, it's something your typical fan of the Pokemon anime isn't used to aside from Hollywood film reboots. On the other hand, even though an actual alternate storyline has a lot of potential, it's just as possible for the staff of the production to somehow avoid ever touching it. A straight retelling of the first episode with just character design changes or the Pokemon Movie Formula, whichever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom