• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A straight retelling of the first episode with just character design changes or the Pokemon Movie Formula, whichever.
True, but it's boring to just discuss those possibilities and discount any chance of this movie being good.

Oh well. I hope that the next trailer delivers.

True, but it's boring to just discuss those possibilities and discount any chance of this movie being good.
I agree, I'm just saying that's all coming from expectations that are set due to past experiences, rather than embracing any chance of new possibilities (or a chance of new possibilities ever being good).

I will say that fans didn't mind speculating about Ash winning the Kalos League or finding true love in Serena.

Sure, they were goaded along by the marketing, but...

Speaking of upcoming movie. Despite lack of information i am suspecting how this may not be one time thing. But more so start of subsequent set of specials or movies covering pokemon roots and everyone who contributed toward pokemon becoming what it has became world wide originally.

I just hope this is more than simple retelling of what we saw and know by heart taking place in Kanto series. I would like to see more of backstory not just for Ash but Gary, Misty and Brock as well. Dive deeper in their own ambitions, personalities and goals with two of Ash arguably closest friends otr among them getting to play significant role in this movie too. Rather than Ash getting all the glory.

Especially since Misty haven't been seen for a very, very long time. And way she was written out leaving her forgotten along with her own story(from goal of becoming water master, desire to reach E4 position to unanswered questions about her past, family, pokemon etc) and undefined future, she deserves some good spotlight and action. I heard some saying how Misty may not even be in 20th anniversary movie with Serena taking her place(due to Ash childhood being retconned anyway). But i highly doubt writers and pokemon staff would be that crazy to exclude most iconic and heavily popular(especially in countries outside of Japan)female character from this movie. Nor i think majority of fans would accept this.

Brock haven't been present in pokemon show in any form for awhile too, so giving him some decent involvement in movie would be definitely welcomed ditto.

Most of all they should give us some original and enticing adventure with original characters. Perhaps covering some trip and adventure original cast had in Kanto which was left out in main series during time OS were airing. Giving more emphasis on Ash connection to Ho-oh and why he was chosen one. Being given privilege to see him more than once.

Than again this is my wishful thinking of events in "Pokemon i Choose you!" movie not taking place in alternate universe. But in present and existing continuity and timeline covering some missing pieces from past.

Even though continuity of main anime is terrible as it is, so that wouldn't add much to future in longer run. It never does sadly.

Perhaps ideal solution in case of there being part 2, or even part 3 to this movie would be in first one covering past. While possible ones in future taking place in present and near future. Continuing from where lives and stories of Misty, Brock and other Ash friends have been left. Doing update, how much their meeting with Ash changed them and their paths serving as some sort of homage to their energy, stamina and appeal they added over all this years both to Ash character and pokemon adventure itself. Some sort of continuation of their own unfinished stories foreshadowing reunion with Ash through special joining him on one special adventure.

Obviously this is too ambitious and idealistic. But for such big milestone as this one is, i would highly welcome and like if older character we grew to love and appreciate were given some acknowledgment and what's been happening with them in present time as well. Since lot of them had lot of things unresolved deserving follow up being nice to see reunion between them.

But after so many letdowns and disappointments, way how older characters and continuity are handled(total disrespect) its rather understandable why most don't expect much from this movie.

Speaking of upcoming movie. Despite lack of information i am suspecting how this may not be one time thing. But more so start of subsequent set of specials or movies covering pokemon roots and everyone who contributed toward pokemon becoming what it has became world wide originally.

I just hope this is more than simple retelling of what we saw and know by heart taking place in Kanto series. I would like to see more of backstory not just for Ash but Gary, Misty and Brock as well. Dive deeper in their own ambitions, personalities and goals with two of Ash arguably closest friends otr among them getting to play significant role in this movie too. Rather than Ash getting all the glory.

Especially since Misty haven't been seen for a very, very long time. And way she was written out leaving her forgotten along with her own story(from goal of becoming water master, desire to reach E4 position to unanswered questions about her past, family, pokemon etc) and undefined future, she deserves some good spotlight and action. I heard some saying how Misty may not even be in 20th anniversary movie with Serena taking her place(due to Ash childhood being retconned anyway). But i highly doubt writers and pokemon staff would be that crazy to exclude most iconic and heavily popular(especially in countries outside of Japan)female character from this movie. Nor i think majority of fans would accept this.

Brock haven't been present in pokemon show in any form for awhile too, so giving him some decent involvement in movie would be definitely welcomed ditto.

Most of all they should give us some original and enticing adventure with original characters. Perhaps covering some trip and adventure original cast had in Kanto which was left out in main series during time OS were airing. Giving more emphasis on Ash connection to Ho-oh and why he was chosen one. Being given privilege to see him more than once.

Than again this is my wishful thinking of events in "Pokemon i Choose you!" movie not taking place in alternate universe. But in present and existing continuity and timeline covering some missing pieces from past.

Even though continuity of main anime is terrible as it is, so that wouldn't add much to future in longer run. It never does sadly.

Perhaps ideal solution in case of there being part 2, or even part 3 to this movie would be in first one covering past. While possible ones in future taking place in present and near future. Continuing from where lives and stories of Misty, Brock and other Ash friends have been left. Doing update, how much their meeting with Ash changed them and their paths serving as some sort of homage to their energy, stamina and appeal they added over all this years both to Ash character and pokemon adventure itself. Some sort of continuation of their own unfinished stories foreshadowing reunion with Ash through special joining him on one special adventure.

Obviously this is too ambitious and idealistic. But for such big milestone as this one is, i would highly welcome and like if older character we grew to love and appreciate were given some acknowledgment and what's been happening with them in present time as well. Since lot of them had lot of things unresolved deserving follow up being nice to see reunion between them.

But after so many letdowns and disappointments, way how older characters and continuity are handled(total disrespect) its rather understandable why most don't expect much from this movie.

The main target of the anime is 10 year olds who most likely don't know about Misty.

Let's just hope the movie won't be just a lazy retelling of Season 1.

Also, we have yet to hear about Ash's past other than him meeting Serena.

I always wondered: Didn't he first meet Shigeru in the first episode? Where does these flashbacks coming from?

I always wondered: Didn't he first meet Shigeru in the first episode? Where does these flashbacks coming from?
That's only in the English dub. They always knew each other before the first episode, it's even established in the novels by the same writer of the first episode. Satoshi and Shigeru's childhood friendship/rivalry is one of the things that's actually faithful to the games in the anime.

I don't recall Ash having flashbacks about Gary.
There's plenty of flashback of Satoshi and Shigeru in Jouto and one in Houen...

『『引き分けのモンスターボール』!サトシとシゲル』

I will say that fans didn't mind speculating about Ash winning the Kalos League or finding true love in Serena.

Sure, they were goaded along by the marketing, but...

Well, there's also those who are just selective, I suppose.

Last edited:
That page is in Japanese.
I'm aware of that. It's the screenshots you should be paying attention to.

Are these flashbacks absent from the dub?
No, they were in the dub as well. It was a giant plot point between the two during the Jouto League, I'm not sure how you missed it.

Here's a screenshot from the one in Houen. Young Satoshi used to go see the movies with Shigeru back before their rivalry.

HXGGvOZ.png

Last edited:
I'm aware of that. It's the screenshots you should be paying attention to.

No, they were in the dub as well. It was a giant plot point between the two during the Jouto League, I'm not sure how you missed it.

Here's a screenshot from the on in Houen. Young Satoshi used to go see the movies with Shigeru back before their rivalry.

HXGGvOZ.png

I remember now.
I also Googled and found about an episode with a broken Poké Ball. I miss Gary.

I think the writers should tell us more about Ash's dad.

Agreed on all accounts, really, you've stated my thoughts very well on the subject.

I'm still interested in knowing how this story acts out and what Ho-Oh has in store for us : )

This has me more interested in a Pokemon movie than I have been in a long time.

For years, it's been "Ash encounters the current Gen's legendary Pokemon who somehow gets used by the baddie for evil. Ash befriends it and together they thwart the evil."

Even if it is a reboot, at least it's something different than the typical movie.

And for a original Pokemon fan like myself, the nostalgia potential is exciting. I know a lot of people dislike nostalgia just for nostalgia's sake (which is fair), but at this point of my life in the fandom, I'm very excited for it.

That's only in the English dub. They always knew each other before the first episode, it's even established in the novels by the same writer of the first episode. Satoshi and Shigeru's childhood friendship/rivalry is one of the things that's actually faithful to the games in the anime.
It only shows that they know each others' names, not that they're friends or closely know each other. According to translated parts of novelization Shigeru and his family are local celebrities, it also says that Satoshi didn't know Dr. Okido that much and know him as an odd fellow.

I just hope there aren't any Movie COTDS this time. There are heap plenty Kanto/Gen 1 era characters who could help or hinder Ash-tachii without plot specific one-shot characters.
At the very least do they should do a bunch with Misty, Brock, the TRio and their Pokémon.

Last edited:
They can movies more interesting if they make them related to the anime's canon.
Maybe they could do retcons, but they would need to be clear about it as to bit confuse the fans.
If that's successful, maybe we could have another anime that appeals more to older fans and that happens in an AU.
Some parts of the anime need a retcon, especially Best Wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom