• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not worried about Misty, Brock, Oak, etc from appearing. I'm worried about the English dub. It better be Veronica Taylor behind the microphone and it deserves to be. There's already a movement growing to get PUSA to do the right thing and have her voice Ash.
It should have every original English VA, but it won't, TPCi have not listened to the fan backlash/demand for Veronica etc's return for 10+ yrs. now, so I doubt it will occur.

And this on top of dub music 99% chance being inserted in the Movie 20 dub along with awful script rewrites that are bound to occur, are the main reason why I will not watch the dub if TPCi is up to their usual...err..."standard" if you will.

Honestly the TPCi voice actors have been around longer than the 4Kids ones, you could argue characters like Misty, Brock, and even Oak/Delia would be justified in having the old VAs back because the TPCi ones haven't voiced them as much, but Ash and Team Rocket should go to TPCi's voice actors, as much as I hate Zoppi's Meowth.

Besides, even if they magically got the 4Kids actors back, if they treat this movie the same way they've treated the rest of the dub for the past few years it'll be unwatchable.

Reading the last few pages, it is quite clear that some of you just hate the original series.

The first real movie trailer can't be released soon enough.

I think I would prefer Misty character bios and things like that, as the second trailer is usually the last until the random late june commercials, and doesn't guarantee Misty something different to what we've already seen.

Will the little kids watching the movie know who Misty is? Or do movies have a different audiences?

The real question is will they know who Ash is? Or Professor Oak? Or Ho-Oh?

The great thing about basing a movie on the first episode is that you get to reintroduce all the old characters in a new way.

The real question is will they know who Ash is? Or Professor Oak? Or Ho-Oh?

The great thing about basing a movie on the first episode is that you get to reintroduce all the old characters in a new way.

Everyone who watches the show know who is Ash and who is Professor Oak.

Honestly the TPCi voice actors have been around longer than the 4Kids ones, you could argue characters like Misty, Brock, and even Oak/Delia would be justified in having the old VAs back because the TPCi ones haven't voiced them as much, but Ash and Team Rocket should go to TPCi's voice actors, as much as I hate Zoppi's Meowth.

Besides, even if they magically got the 4Kids actors back, if they treat this movie the same way they've treated the rest of the dub for the past few years it'll be unwatchable.
No, the TPCI actors don't deserve to be in this movie. Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, and Rachel Lillis are the definitive Ash, Misty, Brock and Jessie and James. They were the ones that worked hard to make this series a success in the US, they were the ones that put their heart and soul into these characters. Only to have them taken away and stolen by greedy executives and have their hard work pissed on by hacks who are nothing but a black eye on this series.

I could care less about how long it's been since they last did it. Those VA's are still widely known and supported today.

Last edited:
Everyone who watches the show know who is Ash and who is Professor Oak.

Every movie is someone's first. And the first episode of Pokémon is no exception. You have to reestablish Ash and the others here, and why they matter if you want this to be a faithful adaptation. Fewer children knows about Ho-Oh connection with Ash than they do with Misty. I myself did not know Ash met Ho-Oh because I jumped in mid-way into the original series. It wasn't until one of the Johto episode mentioned it and even then, I did not realize that it occurred in the very first episode.

If they can reestablish Ho-Oh, Misty and Brock will not be hard to incorporate. It's a matter of whether or not they will fit smoothly into the main storyline as oppose to whether or not kids will recognize them.

There's reruns, Netflix, Youtube, DVDs, etc. If you're a little kid and a huge Pokemon fan, you know who Misty and Brock are. It's not difficult.

Like all those years on Boomerang, and now Disney XD & its streaming sites/On Demand service.

Pokemon's OGs may (really) predate the show's target audience, but it ain't no big fuss for younger fans to catch up with--or at least brush up on--Ash's previous friends & adventures. :)

Last edited:
Also keep in mind little kids had no idea who Mallow, Kiawe, Lillie, Lana, or Sophocles were, but did fine when Sun&Moon started. Just like they didn't know who Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie were when XY started, who Iris/Cilan were when BW started, etc. Just like they had no idea who Ash was when EP001 aired. Little kids aren't dumb, if you tell them who a character is/set up why that character is there with even a minimal amount of effort, they'll roll with it. Insisting that this film should not include Misty because kids "don't know who she is" is ridiculous. Kids went along with it when she was introduced in 1997 and they'll do it again just fine in 2017.

We usually get a trailer in April. I'm hoping for one on the 1st for obvious reasons.

That 20th anniversary special thing they're doing on April 1st seems like the perfect time to show another movie trailer. Here's hoping it has real footage in it this time/shows off other main characters.

I am not suggesting Misty shouldn't appear, but the writers always feel Ash's previous companions are irrelevant.

I like how you have all access to a writer's feelings... Do you have a telepathic bond with them?

This is a rather subjective statement. Misty appeared in those togepi episodes. May appeared in Sinnoh. Dawn appeared in BW... and I'd like to see a person who wants to see Iris ever again.

It's a bit depressing seeing fans make this much of an effort looking for reasons for why characters from the original series shouldn't appear. I mean, it's one thing to mention it off-hand as a possibility, but not acknowledging the reasons why they should and outright embracing the idea that they shouldn't? I sort of get the impression that a different tune would be sung if this were an AG, DP, or an XY remake/retool/reboot. That's just me.

It feels like the "genwunner boogeyman" poked its head into the anime portion of the fandom, which is weird because OLM rarely make this big of a tribute to the past, unlike the games.

I am not suggesting Misty shouldn't appear, but the writers always feel Ash's previous companions are irrelevant.

Then why do they feel the need to reemphasize Ho-Oh again? That fellow hasn't been seen since the episode Dawn of a New Era! in a flashback segment apparently, more than ten years ago. And if we are being really generous, it hasn't been seen since The Greatest-Everyday! opening from Diamond and Pearl, seven years ago. While Misty's last appearance was in 2013, from flashback segments in BW, nearly four years.

In fact, it's quite surprising they haven't mentioned Ho-Oh for this long. You think that Ash would at least see it at the end of Diamond and Pearl, since future series after DP will have Ash have none of his old companions anymore.

It's a bit depressing seeing fans make this much of an effort looking for reasons for why characters from the original series shouldn't appear. I mean, it's one thing to mention it off-hand as a possibility, but not acknowledging the reasons why they should and outright embracing the idea that they shouldn't? I sort of get the impression that a different tune would be sung if this were an AG, DP, or an XY remake/retool/reboot. That's just me.

It feels like the "genwunner boogeyman" poked its head into the anime portion of the fandom, which is weird because OLM rarely make this big of a tribute to the past, unlike the games.
Because it's not going to be fair to the other characters. Misty could be in the movie, but if she is going to, then I feel it's only right all the other girls make an appearance because Misty's not the only girl to trigger nostalgia, and she's certainly not the only girl Ash met on his travels. Same goes for Brock and the other guys. And the rivals. Gary is the first nostalgic rival, but Ash had the most influence from his rivalry against Paul and it would be unfair to talk about how Ash developed as a trainer without mentioning Paul while talking about Gary.

But putting that all aside...

Personally, I would really appreciate a movie that doesn't stray away from Ash and Pikachu. It's their movie, and the thought that anyone else aside from Ho-oh could possibly steal the spotlight is really uncomfortable imo. I really don't want any distractions or possibilities that some other character - whether it is a friendly face or not - could get more attention than Ash when it should be a story about Ash himself.

Because it's not going to be fair to the other characters. Misty could be in the movie, but if she is going to, then I feel it's only right all the other girls make an appearance because Misty's not the only girl to trigger nostalgia, and she's certainly not the only girl Ash met on his travels. Same goes for Brock and the other guys. And the rivals. Gary is the first nostalgic rival, but Ash had the most influence from his rivalry against Paul and it would be unfair to talk about how Ash developed as a trainer without mentioning Paul while talking about Gary.
It totally is fair because this movie is tackling OS material and Kasumi, Takeshi, and Shigeru were from the OS. There's no reason to needlessly inflate (understatement, there's 13+ characters you'll be arguing for) the cast size with a dozen plus other characters from future series when they have almost nothing to do with the section they're trying to explore.

Counting now, from various sources I've been hearing "have every single character" which would result in a clusterfuck of a cast that clearly no one really wants eating away precious limited feature time, replace Kasumi and Takeshi with [x] and/or [y] character(s) because they're my favorites and the nostalgia's just not fair wah, or not have Kasumi and Takeshi at all. They haven't been confirmed yet, but considering the main series anime now divorces itself from characters over two generations old, this is really the only chance they have at appearing in some form again, seeing the idea of them not appearing especially in favor of other characters being seemingly embraced rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom