• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is why Kanto should never come back for games. Both the anime and GF are focusing too much on gen 1. Can we move on from it please?

INB4 we find out that Marshadow and all Mythicals from this point will have their own arcs in the anime from now on.

Looks like you'll be saving money then, eh?
The title of this movie speaks for itself. Pokemon movies should not be reboots of anything in my opinion. For me, this is the worst pokemon movie to ever be made. No need to watch it because it is basically the same as the episode but longer.
I wish I was able to foretell how good a movie was with a 30 second clip that only showed images and no action.

Looks like you'll be saving money then, eh?

I wish I was able to foretell how good a movie was with a 30 second clip that only showed images and no action.
It is not that hard to see how bad this movie would be. It is basically episode one of the anime that has been turned into a movie. Obviously they are doing this for anniversary but still no excuse.

And this is why Kanto should never come back for games. Both the anime and GF are focusing too much on gen 1. Can we move on from it please?
This is the first time in about 10 years that the anime has done anything noteworthy with Kanto rather than just Pikachu, Charizard and (to a much lesser extent) Mewtwo.

As usual, your bias is showing.

Last edited:
It is not that hard to see how bad this movie would be. It is basically episode one of the anime that has been turned into a movie. Obviously they are doing this for anniversary but still no excuse.

No disrespect intended but you pretty much made your opinion clear; you think this movie is a waste, stupid and lazy writing and you'll probably not going to watch it anyway and that's fine, I respect your opinion but may I ask that you stop spoiling everyone else's fun and those of us who are excited for this. it's like you have something negative to say about it after someone says something good about it. I get it, you don't like it, but let the rest of us enjoy this please. :)

This is the first time in about 10 years that the anime has done anything noteworthy with Kanto rather than just Pikachu, Charizard (and to a much lesser extent) Mewtwo.

As usual, your bias is showing.
What is so great about putting episode 1 of the anime as a movie? I am not bias but Kanto has been thrown down my throat more times than I can count.

So it's a remake of the first season with some extra stuff?

Lazy and since the original Kanto series was a big pile of garbage, I have low expectations. Also more Kanto pandering.I am so sick of it.

Hmmm this is definitely interesting. But we still don't know what exactly it is and by the different logo on Ash's hat, it could be more than a straight-up retelling. Perhaps an alternate-universe timeline? Like what if Ash never overslept, or the Spearow incident never happened and Ash didn't earn Pikachu's trust that quickly? I also think it's going to be tied to the SM series in some significant way-- obviously because it's the current series and it'd be weird if the main cast of the movie is noticeably different, and that the hat logo looks like some kind of mix of the Kanto and Alola designs.

Or maybe it's not just going to be a retelling of how his journey began but rather a retelling of the whole franchise? That would be no small feat as each series is more or less its own story and are only loosely tied together, unless they did a Generations-type thing but I'm not sure how that would work as a feature-length film. I definitely don't think it's just going to be an extended re-telling of the first episode though. At the very least it'll be a re-telling of the first few episodes, introducing Team Rocket and Brock.

What is so great about putting episode 1 of the anime as a movie?
1. The possibilities of a reboot and taking Ash's storyline in a different direction.

2. They no doubt want fans of the original series to watch the movie. Since we're talking about people in their late 20s or older, the writing should be more mature, while still appealing to kids.

kantoskies said:
unless they did a Generations-type thing but I'm not sure how that would work as a feature-length film.
It wouldn't work and neither the movie title nor trailer hint at it.

1. The possibilities of a reboot and taking Ash's storyline in a different direction.

2. They no doubt want fans of the original series to watch the movie. Since we're talking about people in their late 20s or older, the writing should be more mature, while still appealing to kids.

It wouldn't work and neither the movie title nor trailer hint at it.
Ash would do no better in a reboot then he did in the current anime. A reboot wouldn't save the anime which going down hill. They could off just aired the first episode again instead of doing a movie that is basically the same thing.

Have you been in a board meeting with the producers to know that?

Pokemon has been known to drop gems like this and yet have nothing to do with the actual movie. The first Japanese trailer for the first movie was: YouTube

Ash would do no better in a reboot then he did in the current anime.
Says who? The reboot series could have a definite end without affecting the main anime, which seems to be a never-ending story.

martianmister said:
Is it confirmed as a retelling? Couldn't that be an original story that take place during past seasons?
The title wouldn't be identical to that of the first episode if this were an untold story from the original continuity.

Have you been in a board meeting with the producers to know that?

Pokemon has been known to drop gems like this and yet have nothing to do with the actual movie. The first Japanese trailer for the first movie was: YouTube
Just hearing about makes it sound terrible in my opinion.
Says who? The reboot series could have a definite end without affecting the main anime, which seems to be a never-ending story.
It is pointless to do a reboot. We are too far in the anime.

Ash would do no better in a reboot then he did in the current anime. A reboot wouldn't save the anime which going down hill. They could off just aired the first episode again instead of doing a movie that is basically the same thing.

But we don't know exactly what kind of story it's going to tell yet. There's no way of knowing at this point that it's 100% an expanded retelling of episode 1. All we can do is speculate off of a short teaser and the title.

Why can you not seem to handle anything even remotely different from established formulas? Could you maybe try to approach the film with at least a bit of cautious optimism?

But we don't know exactly what kind of story it's going to tell yet. There's no way of knowing at this point that it's 100% an expanded retelling of episode 1. All we can do is speculate off of a short teaser and the title.

Why can you not seem to handle anything even remotely different from established formulas? Could you maybe try to approach the film with at least a bit of cautious optimism?
No. I am not watching a movie that is clearly ripping off episode one. This movie is a serious bad joke in my opinion.

Just hearing about makes it sound terrible in my opinion.
It is pointless to do a reboot. We are too far in the anime.

We can't go off a thirty second clip and decide what's going to happen from there. The first movie's first trailer showed a grown Misty (wearing the clothes in Hoenn) walking with a pink-haired child. It literally had nothing to do with the movie.

I can't wait until we get more information! The wait is always the hardest part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom