• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if we got revamped reboot where the "first episode" scenes looked like the style from "Satoshi's Journey" instead.
What is "Satoshi's Journey" exactly? Remastered version of the first episode?

What is "Satoshi's Journey" exactly? Remastered version of the first episode?
The "world of Pokemon" recap prologue in The Guardians of Altomare and in some releases of Mewtwo Strikes Back (it was originally made for the Kanzenban edition of the latter).

(Though considering there is some extended footage to this segment presented in Satoshi's flashback in Mew and the Aura Hero: Lucario and the English dub Pokemon Heroes, I have this conspiracy theory that OLM has something of the sort hidden away somewhere in their little archives, unreleased to the public.)

Last edited:
I have this conspiracy theory that OLM has something of the sort hidden away somewhere in their little archives, unreleased to the public.)
Wouldn't that just be the saddest thing?

Wow, Makoto looked really weird in that clip. The old art style gave her hair an orange tint and made her shirt look yellow-ish. I had forgotten just how much the art style has changed over the years!

It just occurred to me that if the producers keep the tradition from XY where they replace the animation in Alola! with clips from this year's movie for a few weeks it's gonna look crazy out-of-place with SM's art style.

It just occurred to me that if the producers keep the tradition from XY where they replace the animation in Alola! with clips from this year's movie for a few weeks it's gonna look crazy out-of-place with SM's art style.

Yea if this is going to the origin story for the SM Ash, shouldn't they make the movie in the SM art style and not the XY art style?

Maybe they started working on the movie before they decided on Sun & Moon, and ended up using XY art?

This could make sense. After all, don't they start working on the movie more or less a year in advance, while they work on the series around six months in advance? They could have decided to shift the style of the series in the meantime.

Otherwise, they probably thought that a more polished and vaguely "nostalgic" style would have been more marketable and helped them sell more tickets.

Didn't M14 have Ash and Team Rocket in the new Best Wishes! style? Yes, the Sun&Moon style switch is more drastic but wouldn't they have run into a similar problem back then? Going by this logic, shouldn't that movie have had Diamond&Pearl's art style?

And I feel like while they might not start actually producing the episodes until 6 months in advance, they must at least have the cast decided on with more-or-less finalized model sheets. I mean, they had to have known far enough before M06 to not only have the AG group instead of the OS one, but to base the whole movie around a new AG character (and an anime-exclusive one at that).

Besides, the Sun&Moon art style is significantly different enough that I doubt it was a fleeting decision to change to it right as production of the first few episodes started. I'm not sure how far in advance they actually knew they were going to use it but it's more than likely they knew when they started making M20 and chose the XY style for stylistic reasons.

By that logic, we should be seeing Professor Oak doing his usual lecture with Rotom. And I don't mean Rotomdex, but Oak's own Rotom. I doubt they'll be doing movie integrations with SM openings, since it's clearly different from XY.

Yea if this is going to the origin story for the SM Ash, shouldn't they make the movie in the SM art style and not the XY art style?

If it is an origin story for SM Ash. Let me tell you, if there exist an alternative origin for Ash on-screen, officially animated and such, what's stopping them from making more alternative stories for Ash? Why should Movie 20 Ash be connected to SM Ash when he can be his own Ash and SM Ash can be his own Ash as well? Either way, the Pandora's Box has been open. There is no longer one Ash anymore. And thus, no reason to insist on one continuity after all these years.

They picked interesting scenes for the first promotional video, of the original series - it really makes me yearn for that hand-coloured cel animation. I suppose each promotional video is probably going to have a focus on the relationship between Ash and Pikachu in that series - the moments in OS that focused on it, and presumably so on for the other seasons too. It's a nice nod to add in Misty there, I noticed they didn't show Brock however if they extrapolate with these promotional videos, he does have the AG and DP promotional videos to appear in. It will be fun to see the other travelling companions if the promotional videos continue in this trend.

I'm not sure if that has been posted before, so here.

6PCQoNA.jpg

Yeah I don't get where everyone calls this XY style. XY was the same style as the rest of the show, just slightly different for some characters. Ash looks almost spot on from the OS. The hat is different, but his jacket, pants, and shoes are slightly different too.

And here's a translation of that scan, thanks to good ol' Dephender:

This summer's movie has a full lineup of popular Pokémon!
A presentation of Satoshi's travel companions in the movie, as well as their popular partner Pokémon! We've identified the newly discovered Pokémon as well!!

Satoshi: I'm looking forward to learning what kind of people and Pokémon we'll meet!!

This is the story of friendship between Trainer and Pokémon!!
Satoshi sets off on a journey as a Pokémon Trainer together with Pikachu. He works together with his friends on an adventure to meet Houou!
The Rainbow Feather guides Satoshi!!

All of these play a major role:
Makoto:
A girl Trainer who's always full of energy!
Pochama: Makoto's partner. It uses Water type moves.

Lizardon:
Do they meet it on their journey...? It fights while flying in the air!

The Legendary Pokémon Houou:
It is said that only just Trainers can meet it.

Soji:
Traveling makes him grow. He dreams of becoming a Pokémon Professor.
Lucario:
Soji's partner. It has the power to sense people's emotions.

New Pokémon appear as well:
A newly discovered Pokémon, as well as a tough rival! These two Pokémon hide mysteries!

Gaogaen and Cross:
A duo of super powerful opponents whose goal is purely to get stronger!

Marshadow:
A Pokémon as black as a shadow that's wrapped in mysteries. It hides in Satoshi's shadow!

Yeah I don't get where everyone calls this XY style. XY was the same style as the rest of the show, just slightly different for some characters. Ash looks almost spot on from the OS. The hat is different, but his jacket, pants, and shoes are slightly different too.

It's most obvious on Team Rocket and the new characters.

tumblr_ooz3ddZeQC1ro37quo1_540.png

The shading and highlights in their hair is smoother, their eyes are different, and their bodies are a bit smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom