• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these characters being treated differently from past movie characters? That's a legit question. From what I remember we knew next to nothing about the characters from last year's movie. Two blonde royal kids and a generic villain who wanted to use Magearna's power. Wow.

The Pokémon Company isn't owned by Marvel. They don't release an entire movie's plot via trailers before the movie even hit theaters. We will have to wait and see.

Because they weren't traveling with Ash. Everyone knew they were the one off movie characters.

If these brand new characters are simply one offs like all of the movie characters of the past, then you're right, I don't need to know that much about them, and they'll end up carrying on what I believe has become the absolute worst part of the movies.

I suppose the difference is that we did already know Citron, Serena and Eureka.

No shit, Sherlock!

Because they weren't traveling with Ash. Everyone knew they were the one off movie characters.

If these brand new characters are simply one offs like all of the movie characters of the past, then you're right, I don't need to know that much about them, and they'll end up carrying on what I believe has become the absolute worst part of the movies.

We have no reason to believe Makoto and Souji are going to become recurring characters.

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I can't remember a single CotM I have felt positively about since Lucario.

I suppose in many ways this movie has a chance to change that! Now that I'm (kind of) over the initial disappointment/fury/uncontrollable tears, I'm weirdly looking forward to see if the movie itself can surpass my rock bottom expectations for it.

Then that's why I don't see the point of the whole thing. If these characters were created as the usual CotM, yet they are traveling within the movie with Ash, then I just don't get it. What was the point? The CotM have been awful, and they're a major reason I haven't actually enjoyed a Pokémon movie in years.

I guess I'm just disappointed because I was hoping this movie would be different with the anniversary connection, and as time goes on, in my mind, it's just feeling like any other movie we've gotten recently. I think it's great that there are people who are excited about the movie and look forward to it. But for me, personally, I'm just really disappointed over the whole thing. I wanted to look forward to the movie too, and was hoping to see something a little different, but at this point I don't think it's going to happen for me.

We know more about Grings Kodai from Zoroark: Master of Illusions than we know about Clemont. No joke.

If you don't like movie characters that's fine, but let's not pretend they're complete failures who add no value to these movies and only exist to make things worse.

Some of them are indeed shitty characters, but there are movies in which humans play a very small role and the movie sucks anyway, see Genesect and the Legend Awakened for reference.

If you don't like movie characters that's fine, but let's not pretend they're complete failures who add no value to these movies and only exist to make things worse.

Which is why I said a major reason. Not the only reason.

The movies have been awful for reasons outside of the CotMs. But to me, they are a part of what stands out as being notably bad. Really just my feelings on the matter, so I'll leave it at that.

Then that's why I don't see the point of the whole thing. If these characters were created as the usual CotM, yet they are traveling within the movie with Ash, then I just don't get it. What was the point? The CotM have been awful, and they're a major reason I haven't actually enjoyed a Pokémon movie in years.
You are right that there wouldn't a a point for Souji and Makato to be traveling with Ash when they could have used existing characters instead. For some reason, I feel like TPCi are trying to establish a movie-only continuity. Now, why would they do that? Because all of the previous movies haven't been doing well with flat one-shot characters and generic promotion. Basically, I feel like the creation of Souji and Makato are more than just excuses to not bring back older characters.

I think it is at least possible that TPCi are using new characters because they seem to have a limit on how much they can change characters that exist within the games (at least in their eyes). By using Souji and Makato, we have two brand new characters who aren't tied to any of the games (that we know of). This gives TPCi more wiggle room to create characters that more can be done with in the future. They are probably aware that the main Anime isn't all that tied together, so establishing a cast for a new movie continuity could mean that we finally get a (somewhat) continuous Anime continuity!

In summary, I think the reason behind Souji and Makato's creation was so TPCi could have more freedom with the movie characters and be able to have characters taken in direction they wouldn't be allowed to with the current and past traveling companions.

We have no reason to believe Makoto and Souji are going to become recurring characters.
We also don't have a reason to believe that they couldn't show up for future movies or other Pokémon Anime installments either.

Whether you like the new companions or not, I have to admit they look good here.

C_8fDD5UwAAUYiQ.jpg:large

It might even pass as an original movie if Ash wasn't the main protagonist of the anime series.

Hmmmm, I want to make a banner signature out of that. Is there any way to do that?

Whether you like the new companions or not, I have to admit they look good here.

C_8fDD5UwAAUYiQ.jpg:large

It might even pass as an original movie if Ash wasn't the main protagonist of the anime series.

Hmmmm, I want to make a banner signature out of that. Is there any way to do that?

I wish the whole of Pokemon anime worked with that artstyle.

Am I the only person not really digging the art style here? Satoshi's face looks dead. For me they've amalgamated many of the worst elements over the years - HUGE (dead, post-BW) eyes in big heads on tiny necks supported by skinny lil' bodies with flat shading.

Don't get me wrong, the animation in the trailers looks flow-y af, but I'm not a fan of the stills so far.

Am I the only person not really digging the art style here? Satoshi's face looks dead. For me they've amalgamated many of the worst elements over the years - HUGE (dead, post-BW) eyes in big heads on tiny necks supported by skinny lil' bodies with flat shading.

It's the perspective that makes them look like this in the poster. From other viewpoints, they look fine.

Waaaaah seeing Shinji in that video made me feel so nostalgic!
(Can't believe they dared show scenes from the reviled ping pong episode!!! :p)
It's the perspective that makes them look like this in the poster. From other viewpoints, they look fine.
Agree to disagree.

Don't get me wrong, the animation in the trailers looks flow-y af, but I'm not a fan of the stills so far.

I think it looks decent on Ash but it looks really bad on Team Rocket. Maybe I'm just used to their Sun&Moon appearance but they look super flat and stick figure-y. Wouldn't it have been cool if this movie was done in a modernized early Kanto style?

Damn we got an early preview at Makoto's theme! I wonder if there'll be a vocal version?

I'm looking forward to the movie being released, just so we can move on to whatever is next for Pokemon after this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom