• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Endless fillers with Ash still in Melemele Island. :p

Maybe we'll get lucky and get another trip to the grocery store from which Rowlet comes into combat with some character of the day and evolves trying to protect a pile of fruit.

This movie would have been more appropriate last year and would have embraced all the Kanto-shipping that XY brought with it.

Maybe we'll get lucky and get another trip to the grocery store from which Rowlet comes into combat with some character of the day and evolves trying to protect a pile of fruit.

This movie would have been more appropriate last year and would have embraced all the Kanto-shipping that XY brought with it.

Alola is Kanto 3.0.

Not really, I meant this style:

tumblr_o0400grjyL1rgvmfqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o04133G0YK1rgvmfqo1_1280.jpg

Whereas in this movie:

tumblr_oq4qjs5Myt1ro37quo1_1280.png

To be fair the Rocket trio got the worst of it, Ash and Nurse Joy *kind of* look more like they did in Kanto, but the new characters certainly don't (they have the big Best Wishes eyes and the Sun&Moon shading on their hair). It's definitely closer to the original style than SM but it's much closer to the XY style.

Yeah, Ms. Ichiishi's old character designs in Kantou were very distinct from the character designs seen later on, especially post-DP. I agree that the movie art is much closer to the XY art style.

I'd argue that a modernized version of the Kantou art style would basically be similar to what is seen in the Satoshi's Journey segment of Mewtwo Strikes Back (Ms. Ichiishi's character designs with better resources), done in HD and colored digitally. Sharper edges, and with the original color palette.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the movie being released, just so we can move on to whatever is next for Pokemon after this movie.
And a new cycle of complaints take up 30.pages of a new thread...

I want to see what they're trying to do with this movie and the new characters. Maybe there's not a big reason for the new characters, but everything's got a reason for existing.

Within the latest Roadshow poster, I just have one doubt:
Was Lucario that short? IIRC the Lucario in some previous movie and in the TV series it was almost the same height as Ash, if not just a few centimeter shorter, not such a shortie like just 3/4 of Ash's height.

I am really enjoying these promotional videos so far - it was interesting to the nod to Paul (since we didn't see Gary in the OS promo video, iirc), but he is such an important character in that particular series (as well as for Ash and Pikachu's development) that it would feel like something was missing if they didn't include him. Definitely the more battle-orientated side of Ash and Pikachu's relationship is being portrayed in the promotional video, in contrast to the OS and AG ones, the latter which did have Pikachu practising Iron Tail though. It is lovely to see the evolution of their relationship conveyed through these videos and it's what I wanted SM020 to do, so

Onto the poster, the saturation is pretty good, not too much - not too little and while I do think the shading could be improved somewhat, it's still, for me, a really nice illustration. The only thing I'd really change is I'd make the logo on Ash's hat a little smaller, it just seems much too large there.

Does it state that makoto has a secret
/vp/ - Why are people ignoring the fact that MAkoto is MA - Pokémon - 4chan
does it mean anything?

Makoto's secret is she's actually a super villain bent on destroying the world because we don't like her :p

(to be fair the only reason i'd be ok with her being a secret villain is because it's a role that would require a new character-- they'd never make an old traveling companion a villain. There are certainly other ways they could go with her character that I'd be fine with but her secretly being an antagonist is one I'd be interested in).

Remember when Lillie's profile was revealed and it said she was a "mysterious girl", a lot of people expected her to be the boss or at least executive member of the evil team?

I'm thinking Makoto might not actually be evil, but probably is either the true Chosen One by Ho-oh, or warped through time/universes.

I'd also like the chosen one narrative for Makoto because a) it'd be refreshing as hell that Ash isn't the center of everything (what, I'm supposed to believe this same kid caught the interest of Ho-Oh, has the same aura as a legendary hero, found a super-special bond with a Froakie, gets special approval from Tapu Koko, etc? all because he's energetic and likes Pokemon? please) and b) it would be an understandable reason why they used a new character for the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom