• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Making a Children's Game Frightening

UselessBytes

Plays too much Yu-Gi-Oh!
Reaction score
If you've checked out my story Real Fear, it should be pretty clear that I'm a big fan of all things literary horror. I've been writing horror for quite a long time and have run into one specific problem multiple times: How in high hell am I supposed to make a children's game like Pokemon frightening?

No, the Pokedex is famous for some rather startling facts about specific Pokemon, but in the end those boil down to random quips that would make for cheap terror, so I've never really look to it much for inspiration. I tended to end up writing about the more feral and unexplained Pokemon, detailing a character suffering from brutal nightmares at the hands of Darkrai, or delving into savage and brutal hunts carried out by the more feral species of Pokemon. However, with Sun and Moon came true beauty.

When the Ultra Beasts were announced, I was over the moon! They were so eldritch, so lovecraftian, it was if they were begging me to write more Pokemon horror! The Ultra Beasts are each so unique and strange that you can take any of them and twist it into the same kind of unfathomable monster that might haunt a classical horror piece, whether it be physically monstrous or psychologically. I have to say, I was in love at the first trailer.

So that's my question to you all, what about Pokemon alls out to you and begs for a mind shattering point of view on the terror it could potentially spawn? What about Pokemon makes you want to make a children's game not suitable for most children? What about Pokemon would you make absolutely terrifying?

This creeps me out quite a bit more than most other pokémon things.

8e69b55a1cfefeddd8450553c33d1030e4621437_hq.jpg

I mean, what the fuck is going on? It's the mystery that's freaky.

I agree that the UBs have a lot of potential for the horror genre. I tend to enjoy anything psychologically intense, and that can easily count as horror for me. Like any other genre, too, I think the stakes for the characters need to be high for the horror to be effective, no matter what's happening that's supposed to be terrifying.

I think most pokedex entries that come off as a "cheap thrill" could be spun into something genuinely terrifying. There's no way that most ghost-type pokedex entries are true, undeniable facts, so I like to think that they're open to interpretation.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom