• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

So... in Sword and Shield... its kinda odd Aggron can learn Dragon Claw and Outrage (As the Physical moves), but despite its massive tail, cannot learn Breaking Swipe. If it returns in ScarVio, i expect it to get... since they also gave it to Haxorus and its basically a Dragon like Pokemon.

Kingambit (And by extension Bisharp), not being able to learn Sacred Sword is also odd to me, taking into consideration their inspiration.

Yeah true. Like, you can make the argument its unable too because of its smaller wingspan, but that argument isn't true because of Gyarados.

Gyarados is a sea monster and probably uses its tail to whip up a hurricane. I'm not sure its because of its smaller wingspan, it seems like it wouldn't be able to learn it because its wings are metallic and stiff, it doesn't seem like it should be able to learn any kind of Flying attack that involves flapping its wings.

Also, why is it such a travesty that it doesn't learn Hurricane in the first place? Skarmory has extremely low Sp. Attack (a whopping 40 base Sp. Attack, its lowest base stat) and can't really make use of it, and it's not hurting for high BP Flying type moves when it learns Drill Peck and Brave Bird by level up. There's no real benefit for it to learn Hurricane.

Also, why is it such a travesty that it doesn't learn Hurricane in the first place? Skarmory has extremely low Sp. Attack and can't really make use of it, and it's not hurting for high BP Flying type moves when it learns Drill Peck and Brave Bird by level up. There's no real benefit for it to learn Hurricane.
There's no benefits, it's just weird because it learns Air Slash, Air Cutter, Whirlwind, Ominous Wind and Icy Wind.
There's also a Pokédex entry that says Skarmory can whip up gusts with its wings.

Last edited:
Gyarados is a sea monster and probably uses its tail to whip up a hurricane. I'm not sure its because of its smaller wingspan, it seems like it wouldn't be able to learn it because its wings are metallic and stiff, it doesn't seem like it should be able to learn any kind of Flying attack that involves flapping its wings.

Also, why is it such a travesty that it doesn't learn Hurricane in the first place? Skarmory has extremely low Sp. Attack (a whopping 40 base Sp. Attack, its lowest base stat) and can't really make use of it, and it's not hurting for high BP Flying type moves when it learns Drill Peck and Brave Bird by level up. There's no real benefit for it to learn Hurricane.

I mean...

If flapping a tail is what creates a hurricane, why doesn't Milotic learn it (While it does use Tail moves with Iron Tail and Breaking Swipe).

So... i just learned Tyranitar can't learn Iron Tail or Breaking Swipe either. Seems rather odd as well.
That's probably because both Iron Tail and Breaking Swipe lost their distinction as a TR and a TM respectively this generation. Tyranitar could learn both of them in Sword and Shield, when they still had their distinction as a TR and TM.

That's probably because both Iron Tail and Breaking Swipe lost their distinction as a TR and a TM respectively this generation. Tyranitar could learn both of them in Sword and Shield, when they still had their distinction as a TR and TM.

Which is still odd though. Like, update the moveset to include it.

It puzzles me quite a bit that Volcarona can't learn Electroweb, despite moth/butterfly Pokemon like Vivillon and Mothim getting it.

I'm quite surprised that Paldean Tauros Aqua Breed can't learn Flip Turn now that the move is available thanks to the DLC. Why is that? Is it because P-Tauros is much more aggressive so it's not the type to use hit-and-run tactics?

I'm quite surprised that Paldean Tauros Aqua Breed can't learn Flip Turn now that the move is available thanks to the DLC. Why is that? Is it because P-Tauros is much more aggressive so it's not the type to use hit-and-run tactics?
My best guess is that the reason Aqua Tauros can't learn that move is because it's named and based on an actual swimming manouver that a creature with Tauros's anatomy wouldn't really be able to perform.

Granted, the Froakie line isn't able to learn it either and they honestly shouldn't have any trouble doing that based on their anatomy, so who's to say...

i fully believe that gyarados should be able to learn fly. for one thing, i think it would be super cool to see gyarados flying around in the sky. they can already float anyway, and they're a flying type, so i don't see why they couldn't fly through the sky if they're able to be floating around battling on dry land too. i just think it would be awesome!!!

This isn't really a move, but the fact that Gyarados is a Flying type. Just why...
I always thought that Flying Type should be better characterized as 'Wind Type'. In which case Gyarados being 'Wind' and Water Types makes perfect sense, they are basically a force of nature, and it makes sense that such a powerful sea serpent pokemon known for its rage and destruction would be suited to wield the power of a Storm. Not to mention its ability to leap incredible distances into the air. Admittedly, it being Water and Dragon would make even more sense, including mythologically, but that doesn't mean that Water and 'Wind' doesn't work for it.

Back
Top Bottom