• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

I've got a couple of characters I need some help naming for Gates of Time. First, there's an upcoming character in the 5Ds era. The context for the character's name is a stage name based around his deck (speaking of which, I need ideas there, too, so please also mention the deck(s) you're basing the character's name on). Real name doesn't matter unless it's also used for the stage name.

Second, there's the matter of the thief from the first two chapters. There, he's portrayed as a total jerk with a complete disdain for everyone that deteriorates over the course of the duel. He shows a bit of craziness early on, especially right before he summons Blue-Eyes, and gets "worse" as he loses ground, culminating in a failed knife attack in a fit of rage after losing. After getting into RWBY, I've decided to make the character similar to the villain Roman Torchwick, in that he's manipulative to further his plans, but he still keeps up the whole madman facade for the heroes. Whether this is a real name or not doesn't matter, but something that reflects chaos (a later deck of his is one known as "Chaos") would be preferable.

Finally, there's the brief opponent from the very first scene. He's gonna appear again later for a rematch with an upgraded Gaia the Fierce Knight deck. His name should reflect the theme of a noble knight, but still be something that wouldn't feel out of place in modern southern California.

I've got a couple of characters I need some help naming for Gates of Time. First, there's an upcoming character in the 5Ds era. The context for the character's name is a stage name based around his deck (speaking of which, I need ideas there, too, so please also mention the deck(s) you're basing the character's name on). Real name doesn't matter unless it's also used for the stage name.

I'm assuming you'll want decks based around synchro for a 5Ds era character, so i'll go ahead and throw out Crystrons, as they're a deck that I run IRL :p. As for the name, something distinctly related to that, Like "Crystal Crusader" or something of the likes. Real name could even be Chris, just because of the phonetic relation to Crystron.

Also, It's good to find more YGO peeps on here! I've toyed with the idea of a yugioh fic myself, but I've got another big project to get through before I even think about doing one.

I have gotten the opportunity to write a one-shot I've been thinking about for a few months, and I've gotten characters and a storyline I'm fairly satisfied with but don't have a title. The plot is about a young adult who lives on Route 4 in Unova; he never went on a journey out of fear of failure, but now his life is going nowhere and he has no idea how to get out of it or the drive to change his situation. He works at one of the sports stadiums in Nimbasa and falls in love with one of the players, and wants to improve his life so he can be seen as more appealing, but struggles with how to achieve that.

Any title possibilities would be greatly appreciated. I have never given a story a title beginning with I,O,Q,V,X,Y or Z, so if any of those letters inspire something, throw them at me. I keep thinking of something beginning with "Only", "I" or "You" - potentially "You Alone" or "Internal Factors" but nothing feels right.

I have gotten the opportunity to write a one-shot I've been thinking about for a few months, and I've gotten characters and a storyline I'm fairly satisfied with but don't have a title. The plot is about a young adult who lives on Route 4 in Unova; he never went on a journey out of fear of failure, but now his life is going nowhere and he has no idea how to get out of it or the drive to change his situation. He works at one of the sports stadiums in Nimbasa and falls in love with one of the players, and wants to improve his life so he can be seen as more appealing, but struggles with how to achieve that.

Any title possibilities would be greatly appreciated. I have never given a story a title beginning with I,O,Q,V,X,Y or Z, so if any of those letters inspire something, throw them at me. I keep thinking of something beginning with "Only", "I" or "You" - potentially "You Alone" or "Internal Factors" but nothing feels right.
Personally I'm terrible with titles, but whenever I wrote something for English class I wrote out the entire story, and then picked out a line or phrase from the story to use as a title, and it worked out pretty well most of the time. So, since you said it's a one-shot, maybe you could try that? Just a thought.

Personally I'm terrible with titles, but whenever I wrote something for English class I wrote out the entire story, and then picked out a line or phrase from the story to use as a title, and it worked out pretty well most of the time. So, since you said it's a one-shot, maybe you could try that? Just a thought.
That's a good idea, and I might do that at the end, but I'm the type who likes having something to call the story at least while I'm working on it, even if I do change the title eventually. The niggle of not having a title is the main thing stopping me from writing it right now XD

That's a good idea, and I might do that at the end, but I'm the type who likes having something to call the story at least while I'm working on it, even if I do change the title eventually. The niggle of not having a title is the main thing stopping me from writing it right now XD
Ah, alright then.
Something that popped into my head is "All For You", or maybe "The Best Me I Can Be" based on the idea of bettering himself for the player. I dunno just something I thought of.

whenever i reach absolute creative zero, i take any random concept/object and think of things i associate with it, then take one of the things i associate with that etc.

example:
there's a sofa cushion right next to me as i'm typing this. sofa. living room. people socialize there. there's a table in front of the sofa. a table supports whatever is on it. support. support a family. money. gold. metal. brass. instruments. drums. rhythm. clapping. one hand clapping. tree falls in the woods. green leaves. chlorophyll. photosynthesis. photos. memories. family. offspring. You're Gonna Go Far Kid by The Offspring. nightcore. music edits. vaporwave.

what's the point of this, you ask? well, look at that list. there's dozens of new concepts. take each of these concepts individually and compare them to whatever you're trying to name. is there a connection? why? can you utilize that via metaphors? what really is the focus/theme of your story, what does your subconscious see as fitting?

If I get the urge to title a work before writing, I usually just take a song title and figure out a better one later. Trying to think of one off the top of my head like that never works.
I'm pretty similar, I would say. If I can't think of a title, I'll just go with a song or album title for something that inspired me while I'm writing it, hoping to change it later on if something better or more original comes along.

i'd need a name for a character

girlsharefile.png

as you can see i have already had some names in mind, but they're not set in stone

she's an orphan girl from kanto, can talk to ghosts, braver than she looks. like 13 years old

I say forget the details of who or what she is at 13. Who named her? When did they name her? Those questions will tell you what kind of name she's likely to have. If she's using the name her parents - or her guardians, I suppose, if she's an orphan - gave her, it's unlikely to neatly dovetail with the fact that she's brave or can talk to ghosts. If she's using a name she gave herself it may do, but being 13 it's probably going to be grandiose and a bit dumb.

...but parents can give their child literally any name and her parents (or lackthereof) aren't really important in the story, so that doesn't narrow down my options at all. this is just a side character, i should have mentioned. plus names can have an effect on an individuals personality as they can affect how other people see you (common name vs unique name, posh name vs rube name) and consequently treat you. i'm just giving information to paint a picture (in addition to the actual picture i painted).

i have also considered the "i go by my own name" option as it's pretty childishly idealistic, such as a real artsy weeb name like "tsukiko" (moon child)... not sure yet if i wanna go with that characteristic, though

You're missing the point. What's her background? If she comes from an upper-class culture she's more likely to have an upper-class name. Is she a child of immigrants? Should she have a foreign name? If she was given a "meaningful" name, why was she given it? A name that means "ghost speaker" or something isn't likely to make sense if it's a name she was given as a baby, because how would anybody know she's going to have that ability? If she's from an orphanage, did they know her birth name? Would they have given her a name to go by?

Answering these kinds of questions will tell you what the character's name should be

Forgot to say but thanks for the feedback on my title issue peeps :)

@canisaries: If she is just a side character, and therefore not worth contemplating the things Pav has suggested, does she need a fancy or overtly interesting name? Supporting characters I usually just think of a random name that I feel fits and slap it on them. The context of the character's situation does matter though. If the character's background and circumstances are important at all, then consider the things Pav suggested as it could help you make some decisions. If her past isn't important, you could get away with the Harry Potter route and give her a name that matches her central characteristic (i.e. Severus = stern) and can be something she named herself, or pick one that sounds nice. Tsukiko would work I think

yeah that's the thing though, i'm having trouble finding a fitting name. there just seems to be something wrong in every one i've tried yet. oh well, i guess i could settle, not everything has to be perfect.

also, well, it's a pokemon fic. you know, set in the world where "natural harmonia gropius" is an acceptable name. and my version where the title character's first and last names literally mean the same thing lmao. anyway, that's mostly the reason i wanted her name to mean something.

this should a fun one:

I'm looking for potential DJ titles/stage names that fit the Pokemon setting. Feel free to be as corny or silly or serious as possible, go nuts!

and no, it's not for Peter.

Back
Top Bottom